Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of March 1 - 7

We survived February! The longest and shortest month of the year. And this year was a doozy for some of us!

Hurray! Spring must be coming!

I'm late for the gym this morning but wanted to get us started and will be back later. I hope everyone had a good weekend and is looking forward to a great week!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #2  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good Monday morning! I am headed to the gym as well; as soon as I put the kids on the bus.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up G.I. Jane!

Happy March and happy Monday all!

I just signed up for G.I. Jane boot camp in April. It's 2 classes per week for 4 weeks.

This is the first time I've ever taken a fitness class of this type. I'm excited and scared . I know (just from their bio and ads) that I will be the oldest person there. That's ok as I'm hoping the youthful energy of those around me will energize me too!

I finished the restorative yoga sessions last night and we had a Reiki person participating. She had to take off her tee shirt when working with me because apparently I kick off a huge amount of energy. I'm taking that as a compliment .

Let's all this month and be even more fabulous by spring!

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Yay that the "F-month" is behind us. Thanks for mentioning SPRING - little hard to envision it while looking out my window this moment, but seeing it mentioned is enough to wake my optimism juices.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  
Meg

Ward and Bill!

Dagmar, that's so exciting! Don't be intimidated by being the oldest there. In the gym, I always am too and it's kind of fun to show off what we "oldsters" can do. My goodness, you must be giving off heated vibes! :
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

I survived the Olympics!!! So amazing to hear the loud roaring of the crowd from my back deck (and i'm 3 miles from the downtown core)
It was fun to have some much life and vibrancy in the city - but it will be nice to have the city back

Dagmar - bootcamp is fun - it really pushes you! I'm sure you will love it!!

Very glad it is March today - new month - new start.
I'm having slow success with WW - pushing to be very close to goal at the end of this month.

Happy Monday All!

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning maintainers and Happy March!
Dagmar-- boot camp does sound like fun! I did it once with my daughter a couple of years ago and it really pushed us! Now I do a class once a week at the gym called "Boxing Boot Camp". I love it! In fact, it's tonight.

I hope I make it through this week and especially today. I didn't sleep well this weekend due to stress around my job I assume. This morning I am meeting again with my principal to see what she knows about my job situation. Then, this evening, I am meeting with the other librarians in the district so we can see what we can do cohesively to rally the community. I am planning on leaving early (lying about a meeting) to go to my gym class. I need to get rid of my stress somehow and hearing bad news about my job won't help that!

My birthday is Wednesday. I'm debating what/where I want to do for my b-day dinner. My older dd comes home for Spring Break Friday evening for a week. Hooray! I'm debating waiting for her to have my bday dinner but I want to try a new Italian restaurant (new to us) and it looks pricey so I don't really want to pay for 4 of us.

My dh booked my summer trip to Houston last night. My younger dd and I go each summer-- usually for less than a week-- this time for almost 2 weeks. I think my inlaws may drive me insane. But.... dd and I are going to take an overnight trip to look at some colleges, my best friend will have had her baby so I'll want lots of baby time, and I booked it over my 25th high school reunion date so I can do that if I choose. I don't think I've ever been away from home for that long though.....

I better get to work..... I'll check back later. Happy March!!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Good morning.

I'm tired today, too. DH didn't sleep at all. I did sleep, but fitfully. I feel somewhat worn. I think it was Jessica who postulated that her improved health and immune system was keeping her from really settling into a head cold. I think I'm the same way. I've felt the fighting off cold symptoms for almost a month now - enough to be annoying, not enough to stay home. And now I can feel allergy season coming - my eyes are itchy and raw today. Ick.

DH's birthday is today - conveniently we decided to go out last night for it (pack the two bad meals in one day in order to start over clean for him today, lunch with MIL yesterday too) because he is not feeling up to much celebrating so far today.

I did some yoga on Saturday night and now my shoulder is stiff again. Darnit. I'm going to have to go to the doctor I guess. They are closed from 11:30-1:30 for lunch so I'll call after that...

Meg & Ward - hope you guys made it to the gym before it got crowded!

Dagmar - you'll enjoy the boot camp, I'm sure. I've though about it, but the one near me is at 5am and there is no way I'm doing that...

Bill - spring is close, I can feel it!

Suzanne - I bet that it has been crazy there for the last two weeks! Glad WW is working for you. Slow still gets results.

Michele -Happy almost birthday! You can always go to the Italian place with DH on Wednesday and then do some other kind of celebration with DD on Friday.

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi all!

Dagmar, the class sounds fun!

Michele, sorry about the continued job stress. Happy early birthday though!

Shannon, I hope you feel better soon.

Sznn, Meg, Ward, and Bill!

I am SO GLAD it is March. Spring is coming! I can't wait! To make it even better, we have temps around 40 in the forecast for this week. Woohoo! I'm dreaming of clear sidewalks so I can run outside again and start biking.

Last edited by paperclippy; 03-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi, everyone!

Michele, a happy early birthday to you! Hope you have a great one.

In three weeks, I'll be in hopefully sunny Hawaii. We were a bit worried about the tsunami warnings since our condo is right on the beach. But it appears that the waves calmed down. I do hope the surf isn't too stirred up because that makes for bad snorkeling. Uh-oh, all that sounds pretty selfish. I do feel awful for the people of Chile. The earth really seems to be shifting lately.

I watch the progress of my spring bulbs every day. It's so exciting to see things starting to grow. Yeah, spring! Although I do feel for people like my son who absolutely hate spring because of allergies. That's just sad.

Happy Monday, everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Sheila - I have allergies, but I love spring so much I just ignore them. Well, I medicate and then try to ignore them, with some griping now and then.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #12  
Workin' It

I need some opinions from you fantastic folks...On two different, yet related topics.

My cousin is getting married on 3/21. A cousin that I helped take care of for several years when I first moved to Atlanta as I lived with the family and was paid to be his caregiver. He hasn't actually sent me an invitation to his wedding, at least not a real one. He sent me an e-vite. My parents and brother got a real invitation. I'm a little ticked. The wedding is in Birmingham, which is about three hours away. DH can't go and my parents live too far the other direction to make it practical to ride with them. I would have to go by myself. To make it worse, the wedding is on the same day as the half marathon I've been planning on signing up for, Sunday 3/21. On the half marathon note, I should be training this week obviously, however I feel terrible today and am feeling like I need some rest time. Also, I have to be able to average no more than 15:00 per mile for the half and I don't always do that in practice runs. In my 10k I did 1:08 for the whole thing, so made the average, and I typically make it in about 13:05.

So, should I be offended by just getting an e-vite? Should I skip the marathon and go to the wedding?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #13  
slow and steady

Shannon, there are a few reasons they might have sent you the e-vite:
1) they didn't have your address, just your email address (and for some reason didn't email to ask for your real address, hmm...)
2) they belatedly realized they wanted to invite you after already running out of official invitations or had some other goof up about the official invitations
3) they were trying to save money by sending e-vites to tech-savvy people (this is becoming pretty common)
4) the least pleasant option, they sent official invites then their parents said "You have to invite Shannon too" and so they sent you an e-vite.

Personally, I would rather do a half marathon than drive three hours to a wedding, especially if I'd have to go alone and it was for someone who I wasn't sure actually wanted me there. Unless this cousin really means a lot to you, I would skip the wedding, unless of course there is some way you could do both on the same day. (I say this as the person who went to a wedding the night before a triathlon...)
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #14  
slow and steady

Also, you might want to double check about the half marathon. I don't know about in your area, but around here half marathons tend to sell out a few weeks before the event. So if you haven't signed up, make sure you still can!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Jessica - thanks for the thoughts! The half isn't full yet, I just looked. Hm. Decisions decisions.

In looking at the e-vite it was a 'save the date' message sent back last fall with a space to check if you would be attending. One of those links to a wedding webring I think? So they sent the paper invites out in late January, I got the e-vite in September. My parents and brother didn't get one of those.

I know I'm just being petty about the invitation thing. I found myself immediately offended because I thought to myself "Why did my brother get an invitation and I didn't? He doesn't even like these folks all that much and I lived with them for two years!" I should just ask him about it, using the same 'I should know him better' logic.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.