Veggie Challenged - Got KALE....

View Full Version : Got KALE....

EZMONEY
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Angie and I picked up some kale at the produce market today....now what do I do with it? :)

mandalinn82
02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I wash and chop mine roughly, then saute up some minced/crushed garlic in a pan until fragrant...add the chopped kale and a good splash of chicken broth (half a cup or so?), then steam until tender.

I've had better luck with kale when I removed the ribs (white portions) - they were a little tough and stringy, in my opinion.

EZMONEY
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks Amanda...Angie says she just remembers a friend of hers giving it to her turtles when she was a kid.

Bigknitter
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Kale is great in soup! Really any of the greens are, my favorite is chard for soup though. It makes the texture silky and the flavor not bitter at all. I use a favorite recipe with beans, tomatoes, greens, and veggies and it is awesome. And yes, remove the thick stems, they won't be good for eating.

silverbirch
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Cut out the ribs and chop roughly. Boil in water with some (tsp perhaps) caraway seeds. Drain carefully. (You can eat the seed.)

My mother is very agin kale. 'Only fit for cattle' IHO. I like it. It's great with any kind of pork, and in soups with pork & potatoes. It's a traditional vegetable of the European Celtic seaboard. You could google 'caldo gallego'.

I'll be round later on. Thanks! :)

EZMONEY
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks GALS ~ We haven't made it yet...but we will....

Passionista
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Kale is in my top favorite of vegetables! :carrot:

I use the entire bunch of kale, not discarding a thing!

I like it in soup (especially with potato, onion, leek, garlic...MMMM!), steamed and tossed with garlic, lemon and a good oil with a pinch of salt and pepper...it's good cooked like that served on top of mashed potatoes
...Kale chips are good too (baked after seasoning, so good!).

choirgirlhotel
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I wash and chop mine roughly.

yeah that's right, teach that kale a lesson!! :lol:
sorry, that was cute and it just struck me as funny.

I love kale! I usually just cut the dark green part away from white (rib) part and use the green part - steam it and toss it in any kind of stir fry I make.

~CGH~

mandalinn82
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I am VERY ROUGH with my vegetables!

I have been known to hold up my giant kitchen knives and talk to my carrots "You watch it, or I'll cut you!"

EZMONEY
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
lol...thanks gals

who knew veggies could be so funny....and GOOD FOR YOU!

Tomato
03-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't buy kale all the time but when I do, I usually add to anything I make: soups, stews, even to chili or sloppy joe.
Quickly sauteed with some garlic is awesome as side dish (especially if you add one slice of finely chopped bacon). ;-)

Aclai4067
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I had some sesame kale today at Whole Foods. I'm not sure exactly how they made it, but it was a warm dish so I'm guessing sauteed with sesame oil, carrots and red peppers.

EZMONEY
03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks gals...she still hasn't made it...it may go bad before we get a chance...but I AM going to try it!

babygrant
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm kale chips for sure!!! My kids LOVE kale chips!

They look gross but taste ohhh so good! http://www.recipezaar.com/Kale-Chips-110071

EZMONEY
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Angie saw on her yahoo? page today that one should eat kale or swiss chard every day.....

Passionista
03-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Yeah! It's one of the most healthy greens! :carrot:

SpinQueen
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
kale to eat??
Well, I have it in my garden as a winter decoration while my roses & hostas are sleeping lol Never knew you could actually eat it. Learn something new everyday lol

Suzanne 3FC
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm anxious to try the crispy kale chips! I'm not a kale fan, but everyone that has tried them seems to love them.

EZMONEY
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
There was a recipe in Rachael Ray mag for kale and sausage soup/stew...trying to talk Angie into making it...

I will let you know....she says it looks nasty...I say it looks good....

Krisis
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I did NOT like the kale chips but I do like chard chips. I'm weird like that though.

I second the stir fry kale idea. It's yummy! And the other way I eat it is blended up in a smoothie with lots of fruit. You can't taste it, and it's sooo healthy for you!

Jennifer 3FC
03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I was looking for a recipe similar to one I cooked way back in my bacon days... I didn't find it, but I did find some nice ideas from this Rhode Island farmers market (http://www.farmfresh.org/learn/recipes/KALE.pdf).

amaniesa
03-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I made this and it was sooo good. Even DH liked it.

Massaged Kale Salad
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed, torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dried currants, cherries, or raisins
1 small or 1/2 large apple, diced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw or toasted

Preparation
Put kale in a large mixing bowl.

Add salt and massage into kale for a few minutes. (Note that curly kale will need a bit more time to become tender than lacinato kale. You can add another sprinkle of salt if it doesn't seem to be shrinking enough.)

Gently stir in remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust salt, vinegar and oil as needed. Enjoy!

The finished salad... yum!

EZMONEY
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Thank you LADIES

AMANIESA that salad looks like something my wife would absolutely love!!

mammasita
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm anxious to try the crispy kale chips! I'm not a kale fan, but everyone that has tried them seems to love them.

They are DELICIOUS. Here's another (simple) recipe for them

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16634.0

I added chili powder and red pepper flakes to mine. Extra yummy!

redsox33
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
WOW!!!!!

Thanks to this thread and Oprah's episode last week promoting Jamie Oliver (he did a recipe with kale), I took the plunge and bought it.

To my surprise, it was sweet, and fresh, and so much better than spinach. I just steamed it for a couple of minutes and then tossed with olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, kosher salt, and pepper.

I was hesitant to serve this to the mister, however he said "mmmm" and then after a couple more bites asked "what is this?" "kale" "it's delicious. I don't think I've ever had kale before" "so we can have this once a week?" "absolutely".

I also chopped up very finely a little into a tossed salad and loved it (well I didn't notice a taste, which means I love it). Thank you for this thread!
:O)

BerkshireGrl
04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
You could try making Kale Chips (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/) too! :)

I have to try this out still, but I hear they are surprisingly tasty...

ETA: I see this has been suggested, heh! I'll toss an extra recipe into the ring...

EZMONEY
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Well we FINALLY cooked the kale...the first batch went bad as we didn't get around to cooking it...

Angie took the first recipe...from Amanda...and sauteed it with garlic and chicken broth....

we both loved it!

She will try more recipes later...in fact she is having me steam it right now while she is at yoga and is going to stir fry? it with some other veggies when she gets home...

THANKS GALS!

portoprincesa
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Glad you liked it! I grew up on kale. Kale is so good for you!

EZMONEY
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Well I steamed the rest of the kale then Angie did a stir-fry with it and some other veggies the other night...still liked it! Our dogs like it to! Of course they like all veggies as long as they are cooked.

We picked up some swiss chard at the produce market last night...never had that before either...we got red but I saw they had white too....difference?

any ideas?

Thanks glas!

ValRock
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Kale works in smoothies too if you're into them :). I feed my kids a kale and fruit smoothie every day and they have no idea they're eating veggies ;).

tommy
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
The color of the swiss chard does not affect the taste, but it sure is attractive

Jennifer 3FC
04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Chop up the chard and saute it in olive oil and garlic, and then toss it with dried cranberries (or golden raisins) and low fat feta. Yummy. OR you can use the chard as a taco filling!

I'm not sure about the difference - it's been so long since I've had white chard. I've heard that the rainbow (or even just the red) is more tender, but I buy it cos it's pretty. :)

CyndiM
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I've never noticed much difference in taste. Chard is very good with eggs. I often saute the chard then pour eggs over, toss a little cheese on and bake.

This recipe is quite good, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-2/179052-swiss-chard-mushroom-squares.html?highlight=chard

EZMONEY
04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks LADIES ~

Angie made a dish with swiss chard, linguine, tomatoes, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes...can't remember what else but it was really good...a recipe from Giada's site....

I think today she is going to try and make kale chips since many have mentioned that!

Jennifer 3FC
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
That sounds good, Gary. I have another idea - I just remembered a salad that Suzanne ordered once in a restaurant - it was a Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad. They grilled the whole romaine leaf over a wood fired grill and put that on the plate with dressing, parmesan and croutons. It was still mostly crisp, but it was also smoky and delicious. I just googled it, and yep - people make grilled kale the same way. So next time you are grilling, try a few stalks and see how you like it!

EZMONEY
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Well Angie made the kale chips after church today...

I'm not saying (for me) that they will replace popcorn as a crunchy snack but I am not ashamed to admit I didn't hate them!

Interesting really....salty-crunchy and bitter...and I am not afraid of that combo!