Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default I Did It!!!!!!

this is gonna sound a little odd, but i'm so proud of myself for something i just did! A few of you know that i'm in trouble with my eating. i've been pretty much eating cheese and crackers, one egg a day, and yogurt. and anything made with chickpeas. and tea. this isn't normal, believe me, and i'm paying the price for it. but i've been having trouble with this for awhile.

and, now that i haven't been eating meat regularly, it doesn't stay down, so i have to start retraining myself to eat it.

so this all leads to FISH!!!! because we all had weight problems growing up, we NEVER had fried fish, and i NEVER learned to fry anything. but tonight!!!! i made my own fish fingers and fried them so that they weren't greasy!!!!

AND ATE THEM!!! with brown rice and cole slaw!!!! so far so good - tummy is a little uncomfortable, but i think they'll stay down.

i used alaskan cod - i asked for 1/2 pound, and the kid gave me 2/3 of a pound - 3 to 4 meals for me. i'd bought a bag of self-rising corn meal [did you know you could buy that? i was surprised!!!] and i stared at it. and THERE on the back of the bag was a recipe for spicy fried fish - with careful cooking directions

chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper, black pepper.

i took care to heat the oil until a spritz made everything bubble. and carefully laid the dredged fish in it. and watched. golden brown!!! just a little thin flavorful crust - nothing big and gloppy.

and plopped them on paper towels to drain. and spritzed them with lemon juice!

i can't believe i did it!!!! and the cat ate a few flakes as well.

this is so exciting!!!! yeah- i gotta get a life. but this is good

and tomorrow's food: the makings of a chicken sandwich on 1/2 of a whole wheat rollup [LEENIE and KO: these are in the bread section of corrado's - they're made by one of the local pita bakers], with lettuce, and an assortment of salads [depending on my mood]: beet salad, cole slaw, chick pea salad. a deviled egg. and some cheese and crakcers for the 2-hour ride home. and yogurt with a few raisins and a couple of tablespoons of muesli.

i hope i eat the protein - i HAVE been eating the salads, and the cheese and crackers. and the deviled egg, and NOT the protein. .

sooo sorry to be babbling. i gotta get organized.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #2  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

That sounds de'lish I've been on a big fish kick this week they have the flavored tuna and salmon in packages and I eat it plain right out of the package. It's so good especially the sweet and spicy I just hope I'm not getting too much mercury. But your recipe would make great fish tacos my friends turned me on to those this weekend.

Last edited by GinaG; 02-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

<psssst. it didn't stay down. oh well. it'll get better>

Last edited by jiffypop; 02-28-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #4  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Sorry
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm sorry that you're having issues!!! But the fish sounds fabulous! I LOVE fried fish! And the tuna packs sound yummy, too!

I've been so focussed on eating protein that my son asked me yesterday: So, you're making a bunch of meat? lol! I baked a bunch of chicken and made tuna salad. yes, dear. I'm making a bunch of meat.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Am I missing something? Fried food is not good for you
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey JP: What is going on? I didn't know you were having problems. Is it well mechanical or psychological? I'm struggling so hard right now and I can't figure out why I can't EAT to LIVE and why food is so danged important. I'm trying to back off eating every few hours, but haven't had very good luck. I have an unhealthy relationship with food! They always say you can fix your stomach and not your head!!! Ain't that the truth. My support group has been disbanded and I'm seriously looking for a Overeater Anonymous group.

Jiffy, I'm so sorry. Just do the best you can. A little fried food once in a while isn't going to kill you. How is your weight holding? How is your energy? How is your blood work? How is the hair and skin doing?
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jiffy.... I need to make you some baked honey mustard salmon its so good even miss G and mr J will eat it. Let me know when your in the mood and I'll go to corrados.

Also.... remember that black pearl rice we had at Ruthies... I really want to find that around here but I'm not having any luck. Any ideas?

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Never mind... I bet Whole Foods on route 4 has that rice. LOL

silly me.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

leenie - i'll be making a corrado's run within the next couple of days - i'll check there as well.

as for honey mustard salmon - yummmm. Miss G knows what's good!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Leens the salmon sounds good!
jiff could you steam some fish or maybe do some pork in the crock pot?
I'm sorry you're not well lovie!
and I'm sorry I haven't been around more I've been good busy and bad flarey
If it's not the flavor thats the problem could you try ground turkey or maybe turkey breakfast pattys? (get banquet not jimmy Dean)
if you want a decent tasting shake Met RX Vanilla (they have it at trader joes) is good
also there are salmon burgers at TJs
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I have found that Gorton's Salmon is good. 100 calories and 17 grams of protein.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

thanks everyone. it's been up and down - some of it's a head game, and some of it is simply getting into bad habits. have shaped up a bit this week - made sure i had chicken for lunch, and packed a whole pile of raw veggies to munch on, and moved them into the front of the frig rather than hiding them in the veggie bin at the bottom of the frig. <why do they design refrigs like that????>

and perhaps best of all, i'm moving better. it's just gonna take some time. drat.