Whole Foods Lifestyle - Any ideas to make Greek yogurt taste better???

fruitlady
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Chicks, I just tried organic nonfat plain greek yogurt. I'm not sure if I like it, but I would like to continue eating it since it is so much healthier than the other yogurt, that I eat everyday. I tried putting mixed fresh berries in it and it's ok, but I think i miss the sweetness of the other yogurt. Does anyone have any low fat, low calorie ideas that I could use?? Or other uses for greek yogurt? Even if it's not sweet, I'll continue to eat it, but won't enjoy it too much. :?::?:

ANewCreation
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
If you can have the extra calories try some agave syrup. I think it's 60 cal for one tablespoon. It's very sweet so you might be able to get by with less than a tablespoon. Or you could try xylitol, a zero calorie sweetner found at health food stores. I also like xylitol. Or Stevia, another zero calorie sweetner. I find it to have a bitter aftertaste, but you might not notice it with fruit.

A banana could also add some more sweetness.

I love greek yogurt but I have to add some sweetness so I understand where you're coming from. Agave works for me! It also comes flavored, for example blueberry or strawberry. I think I've also seen caramel and chocolate flavored, same calorie content.

Enjoy!

grrrkgrrrl
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
crush almonds!

or

chop a banana

or

1 tbspoon of organic honey (if you have honey in your plan)

enjoy!

p.s. you can put it instead of creme in some recipes like curry

stellarwbz
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
What I do is chop up a cucumber and mix with the yogurt and some dill. It taste yummy.

You can also make your own strawberry banana yogurt. I let frozen strawberries from the freezer section thaw and and then mash them a bit and put a spoonful of sugar with it and boil it on the stove to make a straweberry sauce. Then let it cool and chop up a banana and mix it with the yogurt. It is very filling and very tasty.

CJZee
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I like to mix the "all-fruit" jam/jelly into it, the kind with no sugar. There are different brands, Polaner is a big one. I have been eating Fifty50 brand all-fruit spread (http://www.fifty50foods.com/spreads.html) sweetened with NutraSweet. It has only 5 calories a Tablespoon. They have brands without any artificial sweetener also if that is your preference. Smuckers has some also they call "Simply Fruit". There is a wide variance of calories among them, so be sure and check.

I just mix the yogurt and jelly together and I find it like a dessert. Although I like the yogurt by itself also.

Scorpio1986
02-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Honey!

fruitlady
02-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks! These are great ideas, never new there was flavored agave!

JulieJ08
02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Also try the low fat version, you may enjoy it more.

paris81
03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I was thinking of trying to use greek yoguart as a kind of sour cream subsistute--I'm not sure if it would be good or not, but I agree that the flavor is a bit bitter. Has anyone tried it this way?

PinkyPie
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
definitely honey or take some juicy mandarins/ tangerines and squeeze the juice in there!

I mix mine always with frozen blueberries and raspberries and it flavours it plenty by the time the berries have melted :)

CPTSayrah
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Plain greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream

SeventeenTheStar
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree with people who have suggested honey. I love using it as more of a dip for yummy nuts like almonds or with fruit like apples. It adds a nice tangy taste to sweet foods.

Renacer
03-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I love the flavor of Fage 0% Greek yogurt with grapes, sometimes I also add granola.

Sometimes I put on it: cinnamon, honey, granola, strawberries or pineapple.

You can use it to make soups, use it instead of sour cream and even as a salad dressing!

ValentineNicole
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I also agree with those that said honey. If you can afford the calories, it's DIVINE.

KylieH
03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I have tried a number of different brands and each tastes a little different. Fage 0% is the best I've tried. (Greek Gods Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Orange is hands down the best, but it's low fat not non-fat, so I use it for special desserts.)

shantroy
03-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I like to roast strawberries sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar, or sugar and balsamic vinegar and roast for about 5 minutes til gooey and carmalized at 425. I've also done them with out sugar and vinegar. Google roasted strawberries there are tons of recipes! It sounds bizarre but oh so yummy!

Harbor
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Good idea, I never thought of roasting strawberries. Roasting would bring out and enhance the natural sugars like with pears and apples. I will have to give it a try.

Michelle1210
03-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I like to use chopped cucumber and mint
or I add cumin and turmeric for more of and indian flavor,it does take some getting used too but i love feta cheese. I love that pungent taste.

astrophe
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Blender smoothie it.

1 cup frozen blueberries or strawberries
1/2 cup apple juice, orange juice, whatever
container of yogurt
banana -- optional.

A.

SCraver
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Try a different greek yogurt??

I eat Chobani all the time - YUM!

angelskeep
03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
For something sweet, add honey and cinnamon or allspice. Smash up a granola bar for crunch, just watch the fat and sugar! For savory, add green onions, dill, other herbs/spices. You can also use it for any dip that you would make with sour cream. If it's too thick, just add a touch of soy milk or milk to thin. Use veggie dippers instead of chips, or make your own chips from taters or sweet taters, sliced thin and baked in the oven.

I'm too cheap to buy greek yogurt, so I use regular plain yogurt and plop it into a coffee filter over a bowl. A lot of the liquid will drip out and the yogurt will get thick. I like Mountain High? or something like that, in a blue and white container from the regular grocer, cheaper than the health food store and it has active cultures and I think it's all natural.

Also, salsa is a geeat addition for a dip or just snackin.

Barb

buzybee188
03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Honey, granola, nuts will all do it wonders!

suzan
03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I add a tb of pumpkin butter and then top it with a little of whole grain cereal. I LOVE IT!

bbybear712
03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
fage is a good brand and I can eat by it. also you can add honey if you need 2

fruitlady
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! These are great ideas. Keep them coming!

grrlscout
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I like to roast strawberries sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar, or sugar and balsamic vinegar and roast for about 5 minutes til gooey and carmalized at 425. I've also done them with out sugar and vinegar. Google roasted strawberries there are tons of recipes! It sounds bizarre but oh so yummy!

Oh yummmmmmm! I am so trying that this Summer! :carrot:

azmom
03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Absolutely love it with slightly defrosted frozen unsweetened cherries and a drizzle of agave syrup! That's dessert for me!!

saef
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I like yogurt plain, but have discovered that those little bottles of Lemon Extract, Vanilla Extract, Mapleine (or Maple Extract), Almond Extract & Hazlenut Extract are my friends. (Also just discovered Lime Extract at TJ Maxx in the food section -- even better.) You just need a tiny amount, about what you'd get from an eyedropper. Then, if like me, you don't mind artificial sweeteners, a packet of Splenda or to taste. Mix well.

bronzeager
03-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I put it on top of a banana, with a little honey and a crumbled digestive biscuit (kind of like a graham cracker, but oat-based). I used to put peanuts on top -- the saltiness is a nice combination, like the peanuts on a Dairy Queen sundae -- but wanted something with lower calories. It tastes unexpectedly similar to cheesecake this way, which is even better.

fruitlady
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Plain greek yogurt would taste really good w/ a banana. I'm eating a greek yogurt every day now for lunch, and I like it much better now, thanks to all you chicks!

alicat17
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I just switched about a week ago, and believe it or not, it's grown on me. The first few days I put a teaspoon of honey in there to help out. Another great recipe is to chop up an apple, put it in a little tiny pan with about 1T of water, cinnamon it, tinfoil over the top, 350 for 1/2 hour, then put it in the yogurt. It seems like the cooking releases the sugars in the fruit! Good luck!

kitchenfairy
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Not a sweet suggestion, but I use greek yogurt in a curried chicken salad I make. Yogurt and curry powder mixed with cooked chicken, chopped cucumber and golden raisins.

Natasha629
04-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Chicks, I just tried organic nonfat plain greek yogurt. I'm not sure if I like it, but I would like to continue eating it since it is so much healthier than the other yogurt, that I eat everyday. I tried putting mixed fresh berries in it and it's ok, but I think i miss the sweetness of the other yogurt. Does anyone have any low fat, low calorie ideas that I could use?? Or other uses for greek yogurt? Even if it's not sweet, I'll continue to eat it, but won't enjoy it too much. :?::?:

I haven't tried greek yogurt, but thsi is what I do with plain yogurt:

Mash up one banana and mix with desired amount of yogurt. Add chopped strawberries, whole raspberries and frozen blueberries, or favorite berries. Mix in 3 tlbs mixed nuts(I like walnuts, pecans, and pepitas!) Top with a little granola or fav. crunchy cereal and drizzle with a little honey. The banana usually gives it all the sweetness it needs. Hope you like it!

Satu
04-09-2010, 02:30 AM
There are so many great suggestions here! I love Greek yogurt, too, and I've been curious about sweetening it with stevia or another natural non-caloric sweeteners myself . . . .

However, thus far, I've really enjoyed sweetening my Greek yogurt with either honey or honey and fruit combined. Traditionally, Greek yogurt is eaten, I believe, with drizzled honey and chopped walnuts. (According to my plan, I use with 8 oz. of yogurt a 2 tablespoons of honey - half mixed in, and the other half drizzled on top - and sprinkled with seven chopped walnuts.) Otherwise, a cup of berries or cherries and a tablespoon of honey is another standby of mine: half the fruit gets blended in with a hand blender, the other half goes in whole; honey is drizzled on top.

Also, I've noticed that the 2% is a LOT less sour than the 0%, and, in my case, seems to leave me feeling fuller for some reason. (Often times, I mix the two to "create" 1%.) Being less sour, the slightly fattier version seems to be easier to sweeten, but that could just be me.

For any Greek yogurt (or Trader Joe's) newbies, Trader Joe's sells Fage brand for a considerably lower cost than most places.

Good luck on your Greek yogurt sweetening quest!

LasseKohau
04-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi Fruitlady,

Its a matter of trial and error, until, you got a taste, that you like.

I do like;

Garlic or Spinach or red pebbers. Just do different flavours, until you hit one you like.

BR LASSE

VeggieGirl84
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I get the Oikos kind and it comes with honey on the bottom already.

pnuttx
05-22-2010, 01:03 AM
water it down with milk. Mix in diced cucumber, salt, pepper and lime juice.
Really good creamy dressing. You could throw in some mint or cilantro for more flavor.

I use it on eggplant, salad, or falafel. Its good on anything. I have a market close to me that sells middle eastern and medditerrain food called Phonecia. Greek Yorgurt is super cheap-$2.79 for a giant tub.

pnuttx
05-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Oh yeah, and on the roasted strawberries!! Sounds good!

I make a dressing with oil/white vinegar with a little sugar.

Pour on sliced strawberries, and let it sit in the fridge at least 1/2 hour. Really good! Great on top of baby spinach for a spinach/stawberry salad too.

fcmonroe
05-22-2010, 07:18 AM
NuNaturals liquid stevia. The vanilla flavored is the best!!! It's expensive, but one little bottle lasts a long time.

And definitely try different brands. I love Fage and can tolerate a lot of the other brands. I've decided that for me, spending the extra money for the brand I like best is worth it.