South Beach Diet - March Phase 1 Discussion Thread

View Full Version : March Phase 1 Discussion Thread

Kim_Star060404
02-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey, everyone! I thought I'd get this thread started as I'm sure we'll have some new P1-ers since Monday is March 1. I'm doing Phase 1 along with two of my office-mates that I'm in our Biggest Loser contest with. I've already gotten the menu together and have written my shopping list as well. I'll shop this weekend and do some prep to get ready for Monday morning.

If you have questions, gripes, concerns, comments, victories and etc. about P1, be sure to share them here. I can't wait to see who I'm P1-ing it with!!

P.S. A lot of times, when someone new asks a question, a veteran SB-er will respond with an answer followed by, "have you read the book?" Please don't take offense to this. Those of us who have been on and studied SB know that it's important to read the book first. A lot of people have the wrong idea about what SB is and start it without knowing the whole truth. Reading the book as soon as possible is the best tool you have in doing this the right way and accomplishing lasting, healthy weight loss.

kev524
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm doing Phase 1. I read the book but now my copy is MIA (I think my mom has it) so I've been using the SBD cookbook and the web to help me with my questions. I first did SBD about 7 years ago, so doing it now is a really different experience because there are so many new products available.

I was wondering if SF choc chips or choc syrup are legal on P1. I know I'd have to limit intake but my old book didn't mention them so I'm not sure where those are on the legal/nonlegal lists.

cottagebythesea
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
kev, you can have chocolate on Phase 1, so I'm sure you can the SF chocolate chips and syrup. Just remember that 75 calorie sweet treat limit rule, though.

Kslosingit
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
kev, I just checked my book and sugar free chocolate syrup is listed under foods to enjoy for phase 1 (sweet treats.) Like Cottage said, remember to limit it to 75-100 calories per day. In Phase 2, you can have 1 oz. of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. I don't see sugar free chips listed anywhere though...I assume they are along the same lines as the syrup and are fine in either phase.

djmommy
02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I was on Phase 1 for a week and did good. This weekend I slipped so here I go again! I did loose 5 pds though...but I am always hungry.. Need to up the beans!

kev524
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I might just go buy a new copy of the book and maybe the Good Fats book too.

Kim_Star060404
02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello, kev524! I'm glad the veterans were able to answer your questions. Looks like we'll be one P1 together, so good luck!

Hi, djmommy! WTG on your 5-lb. loss so far! I'm sure you'll get back on the P1 wagon and do well!!

I didn't make it to the store today. We're in the middle of a massive wind storm and it's just ridiculously unpleasant outside. We're eating from the freezer/pantry tonight. Fortunately, we eat fairly well, so the cabinets and fridge are full of P1-friendly foods. I'll have enough to get through the day and I'll go to the store after work tomorrow.

I'm stoked to get started. It's been a while since I've accomplished P1 successfully. I can't wait for the "clean" feeling that comes from being on SB "for real". I just end up so fresh and full of energy after a few days and I feel like such a dolt for not sticking to it.

UtahChick
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm a newbie to SB. I started Phase 1 yesterday. Last week I was just doing food logging and moving more. Just easing my way into the change of eating habits.

I do NOT recommend the Thai Shrimp Soup. It sounded good on paper but... I salvedged the shrimp and will enjoy it on a salad but the rest of the soop went down the drain. :-(

monasmom
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi all other P1 South Beachers:)

I am also new to SB and this board. I actually did SB a few years ago with success so I am back to try again. My 1st day will be tomorrow. I needed to get some LF cheese, veggies & acceptable spread for things like veggies today.

Question which LF cheeses do you guys favor? I went shopping today and the selection of cheese with less than 6g fat per serving was :(; there was some shredded cheese but nothing if you wanted bulk cheese. I found a store brand of shredded Colby Jack for cooking purposes that fits the bill. What I'd really like is a brand of cheese that I can slice for snacking on like a cheddar or some Swiss. Mozz sticks are OK but too me they're a lil bland. Any reccs of brands would be much appreciated.

Thanks & good luck to all of us.

Sue

cottagebythesea
03-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Sue, I'm surprised that you are having difficulty finding reduced-fat cheese in your area. Some of the common brands around here are Sargento, Finlandia, Kraft, and Alpine Lace. They all offer a nice selection of reduced-fat cheeses, and many supermarkets even have their store-brand. Laughing Cow Light is a good spreadable cheese, and works well in cooking, too. Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They offer several low fat cheese, also.

I hope you are able to find something, good luck!

Kim_Star060404
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi, UtahChick. Good luck on Day 3 of P1!! How are you feeling? Are you finding it easy or hard? Thanks for the warning about the Thai Shrimp Soup.

Hi, Sue! Welcome to 3FC! Sorry you're having trouble finding reduced-fat cheese. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have three options in my town; part-skim mozz string cheese, part-skim mozz shredded cheese and reduced-fat shredded cheddar. It's slim pickin's out here for sure! Good luck finding something with enough flavor for you. I think having some colby jack to mix things up with would be awesome!!

Well, Day 1 is over for me and I think I did pretty well. I'm feeling a bit headache-y today, but that's probably more from cutting out caffeine than anything SB-related. I was bummed because I could not find SF Fudgesicles anywhere in town. They had NSA ones, but they aren't SB-legal. I guess I'll have to do mocha ricotta creme to get my chocolate fix. We weighed in at work yesterday and my weight jumped, but it has to be because we're using a different scale than I use at home. My weight on my home scale was much, much lower. Since we're competing at work I'm going to use that weight as my official weight. It was really painful moving my ticker up!!

murphmitch
03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Sue, I buy a big package of Frigo reduced fat cheese sticks at Walmart. It is a variety pack and has mild cheddar, monterey jack, and co-jack that gives me a nice variety. I also like the Sargento RF provolone if you can find it.

Kslosingit
03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Kim, I don't think there is such a thing as sugar free fudgsicles. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the no sugar added ones are fine.

carolinagirl2398
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I just looked at my box of fudgsicles and they say No Sugar Added. I think they used to be Sugar Free b/c I've been buying the same brand forever. I never noticed the change in wording. There's a picture on the back of the box of all of their low/no sugar products and the only fudgsicles are No Sugar Added. I hope they're ok b/c I've been eating them! LOL

monasmom
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
TY everyone for the suggestions. I can get the shredded cheeses just not anything you could slice. I may go to Traders today anyway since I like their frozen seafood dept. Their prices are so much more friendlier than buying fresh fish & tastes just as good to me.

Kim sry to hear about the fudgesicles. I always thought like someone else mentioned though that that NSA fudgesicles were OK on SB. I hope someone clarifies this. I only have a couple in my house but I sometimes use those for a choc fix.

Sue

Kim_Star060404
03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the info, everyone! Maybe they did just change the name, but these have 16g of sugar each and that seems really high to me. I'll just skip them to be on the safe side.

My headache has gotten worse throughout the morning, so I'm going to make some hot tea that has a bit of caffeine to see if that helps. I'm consuming everything else that I need to, so I'm hoping that's it. Fortunately, I have the day off, so at least I can take a nap if it gets too bad!

monasmom
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Kim,

What brand did you look at? I just looked @ the Fudgesicle (in yellow box) NSA and for 2 pops they contain 5g sugar and 5g sugar alcohols.

Hope that headache feels better soon. You are brave to go it w/o caffeine. I think if we had to detox from caffeine on SB too I would be in deep doody.

Sue

UtahChick
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Can anyone recommend some good salad dressings? The only thing I've been able to find is the Newman's Own Balsamic Vinegarette. It's gonna get old really quickly.

I read somewhere that caffeine actually triggers your body to store fat. I don't recall if that was in one of the SB books or the Insulin Resistance book. I was reading them both trying to decide which route to go...

KattC
03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
UtahChick: I've been using a really great sugar free raspberry vinaigrette from Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. I picked it up at my local grocery store so hopefully yours should have it too. They have about 5 different kinds of dressing and they're usually on the top shelf in the corner of the salad dressing section. I know that there are a few other brands that sell sugar free dressing and they're usually all located near each other. Hope this helps!

Kate

ETA: Wow, my brain is not working this week. Of course raspberry vinaigrettes have raspberry juice in them. There were definitely different kinds of (hopefully) safe salad dressings other than balsamic vinaigrettes there though. Looks like I need to make a run to the store too!

murphmitch
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I use a lot of different Kraft salad dressings. Just read the labels (3 grams of sugar or less per 2 TBS). I also like Ken's Lite Italian and Northern Italian, South Beach Ranch and Vinaigrette ones.

P.S. Caffeine has never affected my appetite or weight loss. Imbibe in it daily for survival.

Kim_Star060404
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Good morning, everyone! A quick one for me as we're really busy here at work. I hope everyone is doing well. I had a small gaff yesterday, but am going to just get past it and stay 100% on-plan today. I did a pretty good, moderate intensity workout yesterday, which really helped with my headache, so I'm planning to get outside and do the same thing today.

Well, I need to get back to work. :wave:

CyndiM
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
P.S. Caffeine has never affected my appetite or weight loss. Imbibe in it daily for survival.

Amen to that :) I'm a caffeine fiend, always have been and will continue to be. Obviously didn't cause problems with weight loss for me.

I like Newman's rf dressings

UtahChick
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info on dressings. I'll go shopping and see what else I can find.

Is it normal to be tired when you're first starting Phase 1? I'm a little sullen about what I've done to my body and what I now need to do to correct it. I've not been a fan of exercise before but I did pretty well last week. This week? Um, not so much. I'm hoping it's jus the adjustment to eating differently.

Kim_Star060404
03-04-2010, 10:45 AM
UtahChick: I make all of our dressings at home so that I can control everything; sugar, salt and etc. I make about a cup twice a week and keep it in the fridge. Some of our favorites are cilantro-lime vinaigrette and green onion vinaigrette. It's super easy if you have an immersion blender, but it can be done with just a whisk and a bowl, too.

Also, I think it's fairly normal to feel a bit sluggish the first few days of P1, but after a week or even less, I think you should be back to normal. Your body is adjusting to the new way of eating, so I wouldn't worry about it. I was a bit sluggish Monday and Tuesday, but I was back to doing sprints during my workout last night, so I think I'm over that hump.

I've been struggling a bit with P1 this time, but it's my fault for not being better about prepping meals and snacks. We don't have any big plans this weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to prep for next week. I did sneak a peek at the scale with my coworker that's doing P1 with me. She's down 2 lbs. and I'm down 1.5 lbs. as of this morning, so we're doing pretty well. Official WI isn't until Monday, but I think we're on the right track!

Kim_Star060404
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey, everyone! Are we all still out there? I'm having a decent day so far, but there are some powdered donuts in the break room. Those are something that I usually don't eat, but they look yummy today. Isn't that ridiculous? :lol: I forgot about legumes, so I haven't had them in two days, but I'm going to remedy that tonight by throwing some red kidneys in with my salad. I'm guessing that's why I'm feeling a bit weak right now.

I'm trying to get myself hyped up for this weekend. It's DH's birthday. He's not a sweet eater, so we're safe there, but he is having the "boys" over for dinner and drinks, so there will be plenty of chips, dip, beer, steaks, rice and beans and tortillas going around. Luckily, he won't mind me making myself scarce for when the guy-talk starts, so I'll stay inside the house with my hot tea and yogurt!

Well, I hope you're all doing well with P1! Would love to see you stop by to let us know how you're doing!

TexLady
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
I started SB last Sunday. I weighed on Thursday and had lost 5 lb - yippee!

Went to dinner at Pappasitos. Had grilled shrimp on a skewer (5 I think) and a small bowl of pinto beans. Shrimp were wrapped in bacon which I took off and had a small amt. of cheese inside them.

Got on the scales this morning and was up 4 lb:?:

What was wrong in the meal I just described to make me gain weight???

Help, need answers.

Linda

cottagebythesea
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Linda, I think the shrimp was probably basted with butter (it's a trick many restaurants use to make food taste even better), and there was probably a lot of sodium in your meal. And even though you took off the bacon, the fat from it soaked into and flavored the shrimp, too. Try to drink a lot of plain water today to help flush it all out and stay diligently on plan, and those extra pounds will be gone soon.

TexLady
03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes I think the shrimp were basted in butter.

Thanks so much for the water tip. That makes a lot of sense. In the future I'll be more aware of the "hidden" dangers in eating out. I hadn't even thought about the sodium. That makes perfect sense.

Thank you so much!

jenne1017
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Water really does help - bacon and cheese (full fat) are usually salty too :)

CyndiM
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Lots of those beans are also well seasoned with fats and salt. When we were in NM we could not find vegetarian safe beans because of the liberal use of lard. Water will be your best friend :)

TexLady
03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I should have ordered the grilled chicken salad. That would have been a much better choice. I'll know next time.

Maryjaneld
03-06-2010, 05:57 PM
phase 1 question
I had turkey sausage this morning (2 links). Can i have turkey pepperoni later? Or turkey bologna? I know turkey bacon is limited to 2 slices a day but didn't know if it applied to all "fake" turkey products or just the bacon.

cottagebythesea
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
phase 1 question
I had turkey sausage this morning (2 links). Can i have turkey pepperoni later? Or turkey bologna? I know turkey bacon is limited to 2 slices a day but didn't know if it applied to all "fake" turkey products or just the bacon.

As long as the turkey pepperoni and turkey bologna are lowfat, I think it's OK to have them on the same day you had the turkey sausage. The sodium in them, though, may be very high and cause you to retain water.