Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Default A question about bringing my own food somewhere?

Super sorry if I've got this in the wrong section!
Okay so my mom works at a native american mental health agency. Every year her workplace puts on this pow-wow social thing to bring the native community in the area together and every year I help because well...I have no choice, but I don't mind helping. The thing is that there's a big pot luck but it's all homemade food. So far I'm not good with homemade, if I don't know the calories I'm consuming I don't really want to touch it at the moment because I'm still getting use to counting. I've eaten a lot of homemade stuff that I've made because I know what I put in it, but when it's coming from someone else...I don't know. So my question is would it be rude if I brought my own food to eat? Like a frozen meal? Like if you (you reading this) saw me chilling out with a frozen meal would you think I was like...rude or whatever word can describe it? I eat in the kitchen with my mom because that's kind of...'head quarters' but there's a microwave in there I know, so I wouldn't be like heating it up with lots of people watching me. So what do you think?

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 02-26-2010 at 04:02 PM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #2  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

That's a toughie ... I personaly wouldn't mind if you did that - I would most likely assume that you had an allergy to something and were just trying to be careful ... I dunno ... the other option is to wait and see what everyone actually brings and from that make the best food choices you can and practice portion control.

I hope that helps.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

I'd bring something like an apple and protein bar in my purse...then check out the food. If nothing looks like it was within your caloric budget, I'd eat the protein bar and apple on the sly without making a big production out of it.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Unless there is a ceremonial communal tasting thing ... probably nobody will even notice what you eat -or- don't eat. If you must taste for some reason ... taste, savour and try to record it as accurately as possible.

Enjoy this occasion! It sounds so interesting. One celebration does not a diet break
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't think it's rude at all. What I usually do is fib and tell people I have a gluten and dairy intolerance. One of those ingredients is in just about everything!

Either way, you should do whatever makes things easier for you. If an alcoholic goes to a party and doesn't drink alcohol, would that be rude? Certainly not. I think the same is true for someone like me...I have a very hard time with food and I consider it my addiction. People should be impressed and proud of your choice. If they're not, then I think that's there on projection/feelings about food.

I hope you have a great time!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #6  
M&M Addict

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't think anyone should be offended. I like the idea of saying you have a gluten intolerance - if it even comes up. Of course it could also be like, you are helping to organize the event, and do not want to infringe on others having the enjoyment of the home cooked stuff.
WhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

I don't think it's rude at all, particularly since you are eating in the kitchen with your mom. And if somebody does insist that you try this or that, you can always smile, say, "thanks, I'm fine", and walk away.
siobhanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Okay, thanks everyone. I was just wondering.
I guess I'll bring one to eat but I'll see what there is, as well. Thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it because it has been on my mind all day!
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I would bring my own dish of something super healthy to share with everyone, eat mostly that, and take tiny bits of a couple of other things. My boyfriend is Alaskan Native, and I know they're super in to sharing as part of their culture, and his elders would be very offended. On that same hand, they eat fermented whale blubber to celebrate things... It's a fine line.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

I totally see where you're coming from, but I lived in AZ and had some friends who were of American Indian heritage. I think it could be seen as rude not to share in the communal food, but I love the idea of bringing a healthy dish yourself. You could take a little bit of everything including the food you brought, but just eat yours. You could swirl around the other foods on the plate and no one will notice. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide to do!
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Personally, I don't really see a difference in bringing your own frozen meal and bringing your own healthy dish and only eating that. I say, just do what's easiest for you and since you'll be in the kitchen anyway, just heat it up and eat it without everyone watching and no one will even know the difference. Good luck!
fashinjunkie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #12  

I guess I would disagree with many of the posters here. I do think it would be rude (or better said..inappropriate) to bring your own meal to a potluck, especially as you described it. Either take your own dish, eat before so you don't each much there, or use it as an opportunity to pick the best options and portion control.

I do not believe that weightloss (which is very important, don't get me wrong) trumps everything, and this is one of those times for me.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I think we don't know how it is with you culture, whether that would be rude or not. In mine, enjoying the company of others while having food is the main thing. I assume no one is obligated to eat a little of everything, but can pick and choose those things they like. So another alternative is to bring two or three things. I for instance, might take a large green salad and devilled eggs, and maybe a meat dish like chicken curry, and eat those things, whose values I know, and maybe add something else that looks right, like coleslaw or another veggie dish.
I also go out of my way to bring special dishes for people I know have food intolerance, and label it as such, like tabouli made with rice instead of bulgar, or greek salad with goat not cow milk feta.... so I don't think anyone should be offended if you eat within your diet.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the idea of bringing a potluck dish that you can enjoy but that others can share. It's definitely a social thing to share food, and I think it's important to develop strategies that will last forever that will work for these sorts of things. Planning so you can have healthy food while still participating in social events is very high on that list.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #15  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

as a Ojibwe indian (even if it is half. i know don't let the blonde through you off) we see a pow wow as bringing people together to be happy and we don't let food stand in our way. i mean if we notice someone not eating we'll say something along the lines of "please help yourself, don't starve yourself" But its never anything were they think you are being rude.

if you don't want to bring your own food eat before going and get nice and full then you can either bring your own snacks or just taste a few of the foods that are being served. it really wont kill your diet.

and PLEASE don't let your diet ruin such a wonderful occasion as this, because this is why most people hate diets because they think they have to obssess over it every minute of the day. You don't. have fun!!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote