100 lb. Club - Gowear Fit or BodyBugg users?

View Full Version : Gowear Fit or BodyBugg users?

PeanutsMom704
02-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I just got a GWF and thought I'd see if any other 100 lb Club members were using one?

katkitten
02-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I am! I love it! It really changes the way you look at things and helps you avoid the I-must-have-a-slow-metabolism mindset that can hold you back.

HotWings
02-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I've been using it about 3 weeks! It was an eye opener when I first looked at the stats. It has helped me to change little things - like not sitting down during the day so much. I found the sleep analyzer part interesting too. I don't wear it at night anymore, but did for about a week to see how efficient my sleep was. If I am particularly stressed, I wear it at night to see if it is affecting my sleep, though. It's really nice to know what *I* personally am burning during the day instead of guessing! :yes:

HotWings
02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Does anyone use the wrist thing along with the band? Is it really helpful?

PeanutsMom704
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
oh, good, glad to see some others here!!

I went ahead and ordered the large armband - the medium one fits, but a little too snugly, I think, and it wasn't comfortable after a few hours.

It really is an eye opener to see the data. For these first couple of days, I was trying to do just the normal, basic things, and not make any conscious effort to add extra activity, aside from normal workouts. Once I get the new band, I want to see if I can start hitting 10,000 steps a day - I'm still falling quite a ways short, but they seem to add up pretty quickly, so it's good incentive to add even just a small amount of extra movement.

PeanutsMom704
02-26-2010, 04:12 PM

I got the wrist thing, and yes, I think it's very, very helpful. As I posted above, one thing that I want to focus on is hitting 10,000 steps a day, so seeing that right in front of me all the time is very motivating to make myself get up from my desk and walk around for a few minutes so I can log a few hundred steps!

FitGirlyGirl
02-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm a bodybugg girl. I've been using it since mid-August. I love it. It was worth every penny and I would have paid more if I had to. I love that there are things that before I would have thought were not good enough to count as exercise that I know better now, I can burn around 450 calories in an hour just stepping in place while I watch a t.v. show. I love that I know which workouts are best for me. I love that I am held accountable without having to step on a scale in front of people. I think weight watchers is awesome for the help that it gives to so many people, but it terrifies me, and I much prefer keeping it between me, my bugg, and all you chicks. Most of all, I love that it is working. It is still just a tool though, and you will only get out of it what you put into it. It is my favorite tool so far.

FitGirlyGirl
02-26-2010, 09:25 PM

I have a digital display and I love it. I can see just where I am for the day without having to be at my computer. I love the trip meter for workouts, it shows me the calories burned during that time and the calories per minute. It is awesome for comparing activities. The only time I do not have my display with me is when I am sleeping. I check it probably every 3-5 minutes during a workout and at least once every 30-60 minutes when I'm not working out. I don't wear it as a watch though. I hate even normal watches and this thing is big and clunky for a watch. I put it on the little clip and I either clip it to the bottom of my t-shirt or I put it in my pocket.

katkitten
02-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I just ordered the digital display :) the tracking number says it has been delivered but I'm sick today and dont feel up to walking over to the mailboxes to get it lol

mulder1921
02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I love my GWF like I love my dog..... a lot! I have the digital display and I tend to look at it a few times an hour, especially later in the day to see if I need to pump up the activity.
It has totally changed my mindset also. I always thought I was eating too much, but it turns out I wasn't eating enough!
Good luck with yours!

Idealmuse
02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Bodybugg here

HotWings
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh it looks like I am going to have to break down and buy the digital display. :lol: In a few weeks, that baby is mine I tell you!

PeanutsMom704
02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
great there are so many HAPPY users here!

I was a little nervous at first because the first day I used it, I ended up with 2 red welts on my arm where the sensors were. But the next day, I wore it lower down on my arm so it was a little looser and I didn't have that issue. So I think that it was more that it was just pressed too tightly against my arm for too long, and that's why I reacted. I decided to wait until I get the new armband to start wearing it all day again, but I will wear for part of the day over the weekend - I want to compare what is say for calorie burn vs what the Wii Fit calculates.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I ordered mine last week and have been wearing it everyday now. I love it! What an eye opener. My husband has one, too.

I now know why I have gained so much weight. I began calorie tracking again on the GoWear site and it is incredibly easy for me to reach 1800 calories a day. I can only imagine how many I was consuming each day. And, I have the metabolism of a slug! Seriously, I work at my computer all day and don't move around much. I'm finding it to be quite a fun game to increase my calorie burn and my steps each day. I also wear mine at night. The other night I was surprised to see that, although I was laying down for 7 1/2 hours, my actual sleep time was only 5 hours and 53 mins. Wow! This makes me stop and think about why I may not be sleeping well. That evening, I had two cups of coffee. Now, I wonder. Does the coffee keep me up at night without me realizing it?

PeanutsMom704
02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I am looking forward to getting more info about my sleep. I already know that I don't sleep that well, but maybe quantifying it will help me figure out just how much of a problem it is, and if I need to get more aggressive about trying to fix things. My doctor suggested a sleep study as a possibility but I wasn't sure it was bad enough to warrant going down that road.

But I'm going to wait until I get the bigger arm band, since right now, it does get a little uncomfortable to wear for all that long.

LitChick
02-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have one AND a heart rate monitor? If so, do you use them both or has one replaced the other? And how do they compare accuracy-wise when it comes to tracking calories burned during workouts?

jennyplain
02-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm curious as to how it tracks your steps, since it's not a pedometer. Does anyone know?

I think I might get one of these as a "reward" for getting to a certain weight - it's a big purchase.

PeanutsMom704
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
It includes an accelerometer, which tracks motion - it can track more than just steps, but it can track those too.

LitChick - I don't know how reliable, but there is some info on the GWF website explaining how it's more accurate than a heart monitor. I don't have a heartrate monitor, so no personal basis for comparison, though.

PeanutsMom704
03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok, a question for more experienced users. When does it count your calories from overnight - is it first thing in the morning for the night before, or will tonight's sleep get added to the calories I've burned today?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to hit my deficit target, but my calorie burn is a bit lower than I expected, and lower than the past couple of days when I wasn't wearing the armband and it just did a general estimate. But I can't figure out when it totals up the day?

19Deltawifey
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a bodybugg and love it. I don't have to guess and it make you want to workout harder. Just a little bit of exercise really adds up so basically it gets me up and moving more when I would usually just say I worked out today so Im gonna sit around for the rest of the day. I haven't lost weight yet, I have only had it 3 weeks but I am definitely losing inches and my fitness level is improving. So all in all I would say the BB is awesome and I Love it. No one should be without it. Also I don't have the digital display, I like guessing plus it makes me workout harder when I have no idea how many cals I have burned. But I will get the display probably in a month or 2.

LesliesMom
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I bought a fitbit. I absolutely love it. No extra cost to use their site after purchasing the product.

PeanutsMom704
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I looked into the Fitbit but in a sort of weird way, I think paying the monthly fee for the GWF will actually be a motivator for me - I hate to waste money, and knowing that I'm paying every month will be a way to make sure I keep wearing it and try to stay on track! lol!

PeanutsMom704
03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I found the answer to my question on the gowear website - the days go from midnight to midnight. It's a little weird because if I'm trying to figure out whether I'm hitting my calorie deficit target for the day, I have to either guess for a couple of hours worth of calories, or just try to go by what I've burned by the time I go to bed, and then consider anything more than that a bonus of sorts.

PeanutsMom704
03-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Update on my first week with the GWF - down 4.4 lbs!!

The real test will come with the next couple of weeks, since I had a weird week the week before starting the GWF, so I think some of the loss was water weight.

How is everyone else doing with theirs?

Also, is anyone using the GWF with the Wii Fit? It seems like there may be some interference between the balance board and the GWF for me, as it's not tracking my movements when I do balance board activities. The remotes are fine, it captures that. But if I try to do one of the step programs, it's registering just a few hundred steps for the 30 minute free step, but the Wii fit is counting 300 steps.

MomtoThree
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I just recieved mine Friday. When I inputed my info into it it calculated my calorie burn at 3440. Even with a lot of movement yesterday I just barely hit 3200. I guess I will see what happens over the week. I ate close to 2000 calories yesterday. The display piece will be here Tues or Wed and I can not wait to get it. I hate having to sync to see what my calorie burn is for the day.

I used my with the Wii Fit last night but did not really check how many steps is registered. I just looked to see if my calorie burn when up during that time. I found that my calorie burn went up and stayed for a good while after do the Wii Fit.

ubergirl
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm following this thread with interest, wondering if I should try this. I already track my intake very carefully, and I'm a real creature of habit. I have been tracking my calories, weight, and goal graph on fitday, and I know from past experience that I'm really lazy and resistant to learning a new technology-- so I'm wondering if I would be duplicating a lot of the info that I already put into fitday because I might end up not doing it.

On the other hand, I've suspected for a while that part of my slow loss might be due to not enough ordinary movement. I work out every day, but when not working out, I sit. I'm pretty sure I've got the intake part down, so maybe it makes sense to scrutinize the output more.

How do you decide which device to get? Any other insights?

PeanutsMom704
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
uber -

the GWF has a food tracking section but you can also just input what they call a daily calorie estimate - so I just take my total from Fitday and put it in. It does ask for weight updates so I've started weighing and tracking daily - I was only putting weight into Fitday once a week, so no real duplication unless you are already putting it into Fitday daily.

For me, it really has been helpful to see how much more I need to move to hit my (not terribly high) burn target. I was doing well with staying on plan with eating, but I was still eating too many calories for the amount I was burning. So now I can keep them better balanced and so far, so good - as of this morning, after one full week with the GWF, I was down 4.4. I think I was artificially high from water weight last week, but I'm really excited to see what this week will bring! For me, seeing the calorie burn inspires me to add extra movement. It doesn't even all have to be intentional exercise, just doing things like getting up to walk over to a co-workers desk instead of calling or emailing help, or parking at the end of the row instead of closer to the door, etc. But without looking at those numbers all the time, I didn't usually think to do those things.

I got the GWF because they sold it on drugstore.com and they sent me a 20% off everything coupon. I got the armband plus the display watch with free shipping for a total of $210. That came with 3 months free membership to the site. That part is sort of annoying, that you spend all this money on a device and then have to keep paying every month to use it. But if you sign up for a year, it's only $6.95 a month, which is doable for me - and possibly even that fairly small amount will motivate me to make sure I'm using it, because I hate throwing away money.

MomtoThree
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
PeanutsMom thanks for pointing out that you can just put in the calories from another counter. I had not paid attention to that. I think I will start using fitday again because I do not care for the intake manager on the site.

petra65
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Peanutsmom-you sold me! 4.4 lbs in one week! I'm lucky if I lose that much in a month.

ubergirl
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Peanutsmom-you sold me! 4.4 lbs in one week! I'm lucky if I lose that much in a month.

Yeah, me too, lately!

PeanutsMom704
03-08-2010, 07:54 AM
lol! I feel like I should get royalties or something!!

But I will reiterate that I don't think this past week is going to be typical. The week before was the week I had no kitchen sink and ended up buying lunch every day. I did generally ok with calories but not perfect plus way more salt. So I think probably some of that dramatic loss was related.

I would expect the next week or two to be a more realistic indicator but I'm still very optimistic I will do better than the past couple of 5 lb months. I'm up .4 this morning but that's normal for me - I always seem to see a bump on Mondays, which I expect is related to the fact that I exercise about two to three times as much each day as I normally do on a week day.

PeanutsMom704
03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
First 10 days of using my GWF and I'm down 5.8 lbs!!!

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I have been using my since Friday and I am down about 2lbs. I am really enjoying seeing how many calories I am burning so I can keep an eye on making sure I have 1000 calorie deficit at the end of the day. It also helps with saving calories for evenings out. I know then how much I have to spend. On those days I am put in more exercise.

Wizzie
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
This is so intriguing. I'm thinking about the fitbit just because of price. I would like to find out how many hours of sleep I'm really getting.

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know how accurate it is for sleep. According to mine I have not had over 4 hours of sleep each night. Of course that is going from midnight to when I get up but my bedtime is 11:00. I guess it could be from being up and down at night with little ones and being tired just feels normal.

PeanutsMom704
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't know how accurate it is for sleep. According to mine I have not had over 4 hours of sleep each night. Of course that is going from midnight to when I get up but my bedtime is 11:00. I guess it could be from being up and down at night with little ones and being tired just feels normal.

I find that way it does sleep is a little weird because it count calories from midnight to midnight but sleep is overnight, so it gets a little confusing!

Mine has been fairly accurate, though, I think. I can see that I wake up many times over night, but I do fall back asleep most of the time. I'm generally in bed from about 10 pm to 5:30 am, and it's been counting in the range of 6.5 to 7ish hours each night.

jennyplain
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Question that is totally random: is there a way to input exercise where you can't wear the band? IE: swimming? I do laps at the Y sometimes, and obviously I couldn't wear it underwater, but I would hate it not to be counting those calories.

PeanutsMom704
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Jenny -

yes, there is a place to input calories for specific activities like swimming. I haven't used that part so I don't know if you just put the time and activity in and it calculates the calories or if you have to put in a specific number of calories burned, but I'm sure there are plenty of resources out there to help calculate that.

RockyMtnGirl
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I LOVE MINE! GWF is the biggest weight loss tool ever!
I love the display too, I use the clip and clip it on my bra where the strap meets the cup, so I can easily check it during the day, and not have to wear the bulky watch.
I love being able to notice the little differences add up... like walking in place during shows and then jogging during commercials is such a huge calorie burner... or even just during commercials getting up and act like you are jumping rope burns a lot too...

MomtoThree
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I have become obsessed with this thing. I love it. I try to get to 2800 calories or more by 9PM. So tonight I was running behind so I walked from the living room to the kitchen and back I don't know how many times to get my steps and calories in for the day.

PeanutsMom704
03-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm down 4 lbs for the week, so a total of 7.8 since I started using the GWF (will be 2 weeks tomorrow).

I'm kind of in shock that it's working this well! I had a good first week, but I figured that was more of the usual first week bump where you get a nice loss the first week of a new plan - I hadn't changed my eating that dramatically, but I was carrying some extra water weight from TOM and from having a lot of restaurant/take out meals due to my sink being broken.

But the second week has been just about as great as the first!

One thing I was thinking about is that the GWF will change my calorie burn as my weight decreases (since a smaller body burns fewer calories doing the same activities). So I don't need to worry about whether I have to cut back calories as I lose, I just need to focus on maintaining the same calorie deficit.