Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Please reassure me im not the only one ..

So i have been working out this whole week .. i went from a lazy couch potato lol who was losing 2lbs a week w/ just lowering my calories to working out every day .. i just started this week i went to the YMCA monday - thursday i should of went today also but i dont want to over due it and drain myself out .. so this is what i accomplished this week for exercise i know i need to switch it up but to start i wanted to get use to one thing for now so .. M- 25 mins on the elliptical Tues- 32 mins elliptical Weds- 25 mins elliptical and Thurs- i made it to 45 mins on the elliptical plus after i got done i would swim casually for 30mins to an hour ... this morning i weighed myself and i was up 4lbs please tell me this is normal im still watching my calorie intake and drinking my water .. i feel like i was doing better when i wasn't "moving" i hate to see that the scale has went up when im doing more to try and lose .. i feel like maybe im losing inches but i didnt measure til wednesday so i cant really go by that .. will i eventually see the number on the scale move??
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

This happened to me as well. Since you're just starting to exercise your muscles are probably holding in more water, especially if they're sore. Keep watching the calories like you were. You're doing the right thing! You're probably in for a woosh moment on the scale.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

The scale will fluctuate especially when you work out. Your body needs to adjust and may be retaining water so relax it will settle in to the new routine.

Keep moving, things will change!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks ladies .. I'm really sore today .. my hips especially hurt (i have problems w/ my pinched sciatic nerve) i should of probably went again I think that makes your sore muscles feel better but i just couldn't do that .. hopefully next week I'll see some what of a drop in the scale then
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

You're a braver woman than I am. when I started, I worked out every other day for 15 minutes on a stationary bike or 20 minutes walking. Don't be worried, I'm sure that the scale will reflect your efforts before too long!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 294.4/204.4/170

I'm going through the same thing...it makes for a completely frustrating week. I know things have got to level out and I should start losing again. But the wait is torture!
lookin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Just hang in there - you are developing muscle! You will see the results - not just in the scales but in inches and the way your clothes start to fit!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleysmommy5402 View Post
iim still watching my calorie intake
Watching your calorie intake? What exactly does that mean???? Because all the exercise in the world can't negate too many calories coming IN. How carefully are you tracking your food? Is there any way you're underestimating your calories? Could your measurements be off? HAve you been consistent? Any off plan meals/days? That could wreak havoc with your weight loss - again regardless of all that exercise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Also, if you're having PMS symptoms or if you ate more sodium than usual, that could make it worse too, but it really sounds like your muscles are just trying to repair themselves and are retaining water. Just hang in there and keep up the great work!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Most people normally retain some water when changing up my exercise especially if it involves delayed onset muscle soreness... it will go away within a few days (unless your VERY sore then it could last a week or so) Exercise in the long run will help increase the weight loss if you continue to be diligent about calories and such. You could lose weight twice as fast for example if your food deficit is only 500/day but you work out an hour and burn 500 you've then got 1000/day deficit for 2lbs a week.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

When you excersice your muscles get teeny tiny tears that require water retention to repair which is why your weight is up. I only weigh in once a week at the same time every week wearing the same thing because my weight fluctuates 2-4 lbs every day.

give it time, keep moving and keep going to work out and you'll see results! Good for you for going!!!
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

As my partner continually tells me, I didn't gain all this weight overnight and shouldn't expect the weight to come off any quicker. I have stopped using the scale as the sole measure of my success - I must because my goal is health. If I keep eating on plan, being physically active, sleeping on schedule, managing my stress (ha!), and truly making all of these changes for my life rather than for weight reduction - the scale will follow.

The measure of a woman is not the digital readout at her feet.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

yes, I see that kind of reaction in my body too. You might want to consider keeping a set exercise routine, like so many minutes on whatever machines so many days a week. plus, it makes it easier to keep an exercise routine and it helps eliminate the scale ups and downs due to exercise.

and congrats on making the transition!! I've found exercise to be great for my mental outlook, my stamina, strength and for changing the shape of my body in general. it keeps up my enthusiasm for eating healthy and being healthy in general too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I joined the Y at the end of November. I was horrified to see that I hadn't dropped a pound, even though I'd been working out like mad. HOWEVER, I can see a lot more muscle and when I measured my waist it had gone down two inches! As the trainer there told me, "it's a process". LOL A long slow one apparently, but don't you feel better after you have worked out? I have a herniated disk in my lower back, so I know what you mean about the pain.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I lost 30 in two months without exercise. I added exercise and stalled for a MONTH! I don't know if that's normal, but it happened to me. I think it's normal. I lost inches along the way though.

Plus, I've read that when we diet without the exercise, up to 40% of what we lose may be muscle loss. I figure that by adding exercise you're probably building that muscle back up, or at least keeping it rather than losing it which makes a bit heavier. But it isn't fat-heavy it's muscle-heavy. These are the mental pictures that keep me going.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote