Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/197/140

Height: 5'4

Default working out in an apartment

We have basement neighbors and I try to work out while they are at work but it doesn't always happen. I am looking for some sort of cardio I can do that will not have me thumping through the floor. I would love to go out for a walk but I have an infant and a toddler and it is winter in new england... short of taking them to the mall (30 miles away) to walk, is there any other way for me to get in my cardio indoors? There are no affordable gyms nearby and we can't really pay a babysitter. Thanks!
maisiedotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

I have an elliptical machine that I use in my apartment.. the motion is smooth and it does not produce too much noise. Otherwise, maybe get a dvd with cardio where there is not a lot of moving around or jumping...like kickboxing?
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

What about some of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos? I would think those would be okay.

I really enjoy those videos. We have hard wood in our house and I like to do them at 5am, so I do the in the garage though haha.

Last edited by sotypical; 02-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

how about those little portable steps machines that you can just use anywhere?

i am thinking of buying one of those because currently i am going up and down the stairs!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/197/140

Height: 5'4

good suggestions! I think I have a Leslie Sansone tape somewhere. And if I remember correctly, it doesn't involve much in the way of jumping. And oh, how I would love an elliptical! Actually what I REALLY want is one of those treadclimbers!
Thanks everyone! I really can't wait till spring so I can get out of the house and get some fresh air!
maisiedotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Some of Gilads shows are not the jumping around kind. Shimmy--the belly dancing show may be doable too. Also old school calistenics--push ups, crunches, side bends, etc. are good. You could also get an exercise ball--most of them have a DVD inside and don't require any jumping around movements.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  

Have you considered a Power Yoga workout? Power Yoga is a great workout because it not only helps with flexibility and strength, but because the postures chance so frequently, many people actually get a good cardio workout at the same time...and it's nice and quite for your down stair neighbors.
kenthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #8  
Just Beachy

S/C/G: 183/137/120

Height: 5'2"

i have a lateral thigh trainer. very small, quiet and a good workout
AlphaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #9  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I live on the second floor as well. I use a yoga mat to step on when I skip rope and such. I can do aerobics in my living room and it doesn't make a sound as long as I step on the mat.

But I guess it depends on how well-insulated/sound-proofed your apartment is though; if it's very old, or if the floors crack, I don't think a yoga mat would help that much.
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote