Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Default Treadmill and Socks

I'm wondering if it is ok to be on the TM in socks?

I've been at it a couple of weeks and I'm up to 23 minutes and 1.12 miles. When I started my feet were sore from working in rubber boots so much here lately and now I don't want to wear shoes. Just thought I had better make sure I wasn't messing up.

TIA
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #2  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I think walking on a treadmill in socks could be dangerous. What if you were to slip?
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

I'm no expert, but I would think that walking so much without the proper support that sneakers give might not be good for your feet? Especially on a such a hard, flat surface as a treadmill.
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #4  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Height: 5'5"

Safety would be a concern for me. Perhaps you could look into better shoes, rather than ditching them altogether.
diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2''

I have actually recently read some articles about exercising/running barefoot (without socks). I have flat feet and my doctor told me running without shoes actually strengthens your foot. I can't find the article but here is one written by a doctor:

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000198.html
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, there is a new thinking that walking or running barefoot is good for your feet and leg muscles. I would think that walking on a treadmill would be better without socks though, specially if this is your own treadmill there would be only your germs on there, but on a gym TM I would def wear socks... I'm anal like that

I would say try it for a while and see how it feels I really don"t thing you have much to lose.

Keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #7  

Well, for one thing boots are the wrong shoes to walk in on the treadmill. The support in them is NOT the same as sneakers. There is no mobility in the ankle. Get sneakers. And not cheap k-mart ones, go to a shoe store and get fitted for propper size, last length, etc.

As for barefoot, if you are going to do it ditch the socks and do it completely barefoot. Socks will make you slip around and chafe your feet without shoes to hold them in place. However, you may find you develop sores anyway, as the treadmill surface is not meant for bare feet.

Also, be conscious in bare feet not to strike with your heel first, as it is an unnatural way of walking caused by. . . wearing shoes, of all things. You may feel a lot of heel soreness until you learn to walk bare footed, landing more towards the center of your foot than directly on the heel.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #8  

OK, sorry I wasn't clear about the boots...ooops! I work outside and it has been nasty out there for awhile so I have had to wear rubber boots at work. My feet have been sore because I have been wearing the boots at work. I have been on the treadmill in socks. At work in rubber boots.

Tigger, thanks for the article. Interesting reading.

Ilene, I guess your right. Because at this point it is so far so good right?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

I wear socks when i run barefoot on the gym treadmiill.... its fine....no slipping.....The moving belt thing is a rubber surface with traction..... and its true that running barefoot does strengthen your feet. Make sur eyou are striking with the ball/mid of your foot though, and NOT heel striking when you run barefoot.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #10  

OK thanks. I did notice that I am running on my heel. I will change that. Do you have any other treadmill words of wisdom? Thanks