100 lb. Club - Kashi Review!

View Full Version : Kashi Review!

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
So I received a tiny box ( soooo cute! ) of Kashi Go Lean "honey almond flax" cereal. It was a tiny bowl of crunch, 240 cals without milk ! and WOW was it sweet! it tastes exactly like Sugar Crisp but crunchy! anyone remember that cereal??? sure enough, the 'sugars' are more than 1/2 of the carbs so that's off the shopping list for me! Anyone else tried it? I like cereal in the morning cuz it's easy-peasy, and i usually mix 1/2 Fibre 1 buds with something else, like cheerios -- what are our favourite cereals?

Meg
02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
The only Kashi cereal that is low enough in sugar for me is plain old GoLean, which I adore. So it and Fiber One are my only cold cereals. I'm also a big fan of oatmeal (the stuff in the box, not packets).

Most other cold cereals (all brands) are nutritionally nothing more than cookies in a bowl. A breakfast of that would set me up for a really bad day, eating-wise.

I actually sent Kashi an email a few days ago complaining about the amount of sugar in most of their cereals. Wonder if I'll hear back?

evoo
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
What you need to remember is that not all "sugars" are created equally. While I am not advocating eating a cereal that is high in any "sugars" daily there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding around this issue. REFINED sugars are BAD but that doesn't mean all things sweet are inherently bad as well. Most of the carbs in many fruits come from "sugars". Are you boycotting fruit, too?

I don't have a box of this particular Kashi cereal in the pantry right now to look at, but most Kashi products are sweetened primarily with brown rice syrup -- a far cry from white sugar.

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
COOKIES IN A BOWL !!! I'm so going to make a cereal and call it that!!!

SpicySiren
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I do love Kashi as well--it is a very filling cereal compared to a lot of other breakfast cereals. Particularly I like the Go Lean Crunch in which sometimes I through in some crasins or dried apricots to make it even heartier!

Lori Bell
02-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I didn't like the Kashi Golean...like mentioned above the calorie content is pretty high and to me it tastes like popped popcorn is the main ingredient. Yuck, I'm not a huge popcorn fan anyway, and soggy popcorn is just wrong! I might as well pour milk on popcorn and toasted oatmeal and sugar...(It would probably taste better for way fewer calories and A LOT less money.) lol

I occasionally have plain old cherrios, But usually it is Fibre One, (the one that looks like rabbit food). I Usually mix a little in my yogurt and fruit to give it a little crunch.

Meg
02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
COOKIES IN A BOWL !!! I'm so going to make a cereal and call it that!!!

:rofl: They already did -- Cookie Crisp.

Eliana
02-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Cereals set me up poorly as well. The only cereal I'll eat is Steel cut oats and even then I add flax and wheat germ to it. Even Fiber One has me starving within a half hour. It's an appetizer to me.

I do best with either protein or something loaded with fiber. My great breakfasts have both.

traci in training
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
ok. here's my confession. I eat Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger frosted flakes. I've never looked at how much sugar is in it because I'm pretty sure it's just pure sugar formed into flakes. But I have a cup of it with skim milk when I get home from work at one in the morning and I'm not giving it up. It's 200 calories and it makes me happy and y'all can make fun of me for the rest of the day if you want. I gave up meat for lent but DUDE!!! I will not give up my frosted flakes!!!

caryesings
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I've seen many people here that have trouble eating reasonable amount of cereal. But moderate fiber sweet cereals are a major part of my plan. Oat flakes, frosted mini-wheats, kashi cinnamon "cheerios", raisin bran are all part of my daily diet.

It's so interesting to me how our plans are so different but that we're all making progress. Really shows to me why so many fail when trying to follow a diet written by someone else.

PeanutsMom704
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I eat regular cheerios sometimes, usually a snack or if I'm just too tired to think, that's sometimes supper. I'll usually add in some hardboiled egg white, so get a bit of protein in there.

My normal breakfast is two nutrigrain waffles - I toast them but like them plain with no syrup or butter. I also have a couple of hardboiled egg whites with those.

My biggest issue is sustainability. It's so easy to grab a couple of frozen waffles and hardboiled eggs and be out the door to work so it's easy for me to start the day off on plan. And a good start helps me stay on plan the rest of the day.

Eliana
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
ok. here's my confession. I eat Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger frosted flakes. I've never looked at how much sugar is in it because I'm pretty sure it's just pure sugar formed into flakes. But I have a cup of it with skim milk when I get home from work at one in the morning and I'm not giving it up. It's 200 calories and it makes me happy and y'all can make fun of me for the rest of the day if you want. I gave up meat for lent but DUDE!!! I will not give up my frosted flakes!!!
:rofl: Hey, you can have your frosted flakes. I'll eat ice cream. :rofl:

It's so interesting to me how our plans are so different but that we're all making progress. Really shows to me why so many fail when trying to follow a diet written by someone else.

So, so, so true!

nelie
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't eat cold cereals except very rarely. They really don't work for me and they are all processed at some level. 240 calories for a single serving of cereal? That is insane.

Sometimes I'll do hot cereals like oatmeal or other whole grains.

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Just to follow up -- my usual bowl of 1 cup cheerios & 1/2 cup Fibre 1 rabbit food is about 200 cals WITH the milk, and keeps me full til lunch. Since the Kashi this morning, I'VE BEEN STARVING SINCE 10 AM!!!! lol i'll so never buy that cereal !!

Ann21
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I absolutely adore all things Kashi, and that is exactly the reason why I'm not allowing myself to buy cereal anymore. My favorites are the GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax and the GoLean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble. Add some light vanilla Silk, and it's H-E-A-V-E-N. I also got hooked on their GoLean bars, but had to take them off the shopping list too. Besides Kashi cereal, I go for Apple Cinnamon and Banana Nut Cheerios.

I just made the decision at my last shopping trip that I'm just NOT going to buy cereal anymore. It breaks my heart, but I can go through a box in two days. It's better than sitting down to a bag of potatoes chips, true. But Eating multiple bowls of cheerios at night is not much better calorie wise. :(

Eliana
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Just to follow up -- my usual bowl of 1 cup cheerios & 1/2 cup Fibre 1 rabbit food is about 200 cals WITH the milk, and keeps me full til lunch. Since the Kashi this morning, I'VE BEEN STARVING SINCE 10 AM!!!! lol i'll so never buy that cereal !!

Thanks for the update! LOL! Now you know, right?

GirlyGirlSebas
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Too much sugar at one time can cause your glucose levels to spike. These spikes creates cravings and early hunger. It doesn't matter what kind of sugar it is. It can be healthy sugars like fruits or it can be refined sugars or HFCS. If you do decide to consume a high sugar item, make sure to pair it with a protein to help lessen the spike. Each 15 grams of carbs requires about 7 grams of protein. This information might not matter to a lot of people, but it matters greatly to those of us with insulin resistance. Studies have shown that many overweight women have IR and don't even know it.

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Rhonda you're so right - sugar does a number on practially all of us, and there's soooooo much in what we eat! all the 'low fat' labels screaming at us from food boxes to let us know they're healthy, when really they're loaded with sugar to taste good! geeesh!!!!

oh, and btw, what I take from what you said is that is that i should eat chocolate covered peanuts :D When i gain 100lbs back I'll blame you!!! eheheheh

Eliana
02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
oh, and btw, what I take from what you said is that is that i should eat chocolate covered peanuts :D When i gain 100lbs back I'll blame you!!! eheheheh

I've heard that if you're going to go for a candy bar you should go for Snickers, Reese's cup, or peanut M&M's. :D

GirlyGirlSebas
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Girlfriend, I should be a skinny minny with all of the peanut M&M's I've eaten over the last 5 years! :D Unfortunately, we still have to watch our calorie counts. :(

calluna
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
This has been an interesting thread to read. We use cold cereals at my house pretty regularly. I get higher fiber cereals and then spike them with something high fiber (but either high cost or low taste, so small amounts are better). I use raisin bran (less of this, but it was a good transition cereal for me), bran flakes, fiber one, kashi golean crunch, and others. I like fiber and it works well for me. We eat a lot of regular oatmeal, too, which I like to make with flax and berries.

It's a solid breakfast; I also have a midmorning snack, usually fruit - not interested in going hungry, here. Cravings for me these days are all but nil (can you sing me Hallelujah?), I'm losing weight, energy and satisfaction levels are good.

I suppose the long and short of it is that I would consider this less a kashi review than a review of how kashi works with your plan. :)

annie175
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Cheerios give me indigestion and breath from H*LL. Weird isn't it?

starfishkitty
02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah.... Kashi is great... but at the same time, calorie wise I get DOUBLE the amount of food if I have cheerios with some splenda. i.e. I get less hungry faster...... So no Kashi for me. :(

JennyG
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Corn bran squares.... mmmmm sooo good! 5 grams of fibre and 6 grams of sugar. Really yummy and quite healthy as its recommended highly by my dietician. 120 cals for 1 cup, I usually mix it with some fibre one for 200 cals... and very filling!

I heart Kashi cereals, but I limit myself, I like the one that has probiotics added, very tasty and plain - good mixed in with yogurt compared to milk.

Thighs Be Gone
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I have got two things to say about the Kashi Go Lean.

First off, I eat probably 1/2 the box in one sitting. It's awful that I cannot stop. But I can't. So, unless it can be locked up, I don't bring it home from the store.

Secondly, it gives me horrible, horrible gas. Of course, the fiber content of 1/2 a box of cereal is probably the cause--not one serving of the cereal itself.

FitGirlyGirl
02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I love me some Kashi Cocoa Beach, but it's crazy on the calories so I have to only have it for an occasional treat.

My current favorite cereal is Rice Chex (I get the wal-mart brand though since I see no difference and therefore no reason to pay more). 1 cup (27g) is 100 calories, 0 fat, 23 carbs, 0 fiber, 2g sugars, 2g protein.
I also like SpecialK Protein Plus 3/4 cup (29g) is 100 calories, 3g fat, 0.5g sat. fat, 14 carbs, 5g fiber, 2g sugar, 10g protein

I portion my cereal ahead of time. I use snack sized ziplocs and a food scale to go by the grams per serving, not the cup measurement - 1 cup of rice chex does not weight 27g, and the grams are what the nutrition label is actually based on. Then I just grab a baggie in the morning (or sometimes for dinner on those nights). It helps me not overdo it.

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
@Jenny OMG!!! corn bran squares are wicked awesome!!! i read the box 3 times to be sure they were ok they are sooooooo scrumptious!!! I love a cup of that with some fibre one rabbit pellets thrown in, yum!

JennyG
02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Fitgirlygirl, I portion my cereal too.... I have to, or else my hand is always in the dang box!!

Trazey! I know it, eh! same here!

rockinrobin
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Someone spoke of cereal being cookies in a bowl. Well to me, cereal is CRACK in a box/bowl.

When I first started this journey my breakfast consisted of 1/2 cup Fiber One (the twiggy one) & 1/2 cup of the plain Kashi Go Lean with skim milk. Kept me nice and satisfied.

BUT then I found myself (man I HATE when that happens) somehow diving back into that Kashi Go Lean box, so it was buh-bye. In other words, I have a HUGE problem with cereal.

The only cereal I eat now is Fiber One Cereal, the twiggy one, in my FF/SF yogurt. That's it.

Beverlyjoy
02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I like Fibre ONe, Cherrios, & oatmeal. I had trouble not overeating the Kashi Go Lean for some reason so it's gone.

MomtoThree
02-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I love Go Lean Cruch. It is very sweet but for me filling. My 4 and 5 year old both love when they get some to eat. It hardly every goes on sale here so when I do buy it is a treat. Today they were so excited to see that I bought 2 boxes at the store last night. Well, they were happy until that found out is going to be portioned out over the next few weeks. :dizzy:

My other 3 are happy with Cheerios which is a good thing since they are often on sale.

JustBeckyV
02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Cheerios here too but they don't really fill me that well.

eratosthanes
02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I have a cereal that is good for me, but tastes like junk food. For 1 1/2 cups King Vitamin it is only 120 cal (170 with 1/2 cup 1% milk) 26 carbs ( I am not watching them) and only 6 g of sugar, plus TONS of vitamins. There is only 2 g of protein, so that plus the 4 in the milk still gives it a pretty low total, but I get enough elsewhere. Even though it supposedly shouldn't, this keeps me going all morning.

Other than that, I LOVE my heart-healthy serving of steel-cut oats (1/3 cup + 2 Tb), which will last me half the day!

eratosthanes
02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Oh, King Vitamin is the ONLY sweet cereal I can keep in the house w/o eating half the box at a time.

brandijune44
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I like Barbara's multigrain shredded spoonfulls. (I pretty much like any of Barbara's cereal but this is my favorite!)

It has 5g sugar and 4g fiber and doesn't have any artificial sugar or high fructose corn syrup that many brands try to sneak past you (I've realized that those ingredients trigger massive cravings!). I add 1/3 cup of lite coconut milk and I have a sweet and fulfilling 250 cal. breakfast that I look forward to every morning :D