Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Kashi Review!

So I received a tiny box ( soooo cute! ) of Kashi Go Lean "honey almond flax" cereal. It was a tiny bowl of crunch, 240 cals without milk ! and WOW was it sweet! it tastes exactly like Sugar Crisp but crunchy! anyone remember that cereal??? sure enough, the 'sugars' are more than 1/2 of the carbs so that's off the shopping list for me! Anyone else tried it? I like cereal in the morning cuz it's easy-peasy, and i usually mix 1/2 Fibre 1 buds with something else, like cheerios -- what are our favourite cereals?
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #2  
Meg

The only Kashi cereal that is low enough in sugar for me is plain old GoLean, which I adore. So it and Fiber One are my only cold cereals. I'm also a big fan of oatmeal (the stuff in the box, not packets).

Most other cold cereals (all brands) are nutritionally nothing more than cookies in a bowl. A breakfast of that would set me up for a really bad day, eating-wise.

I actually sent Kashi an email a few days ago complaining about the amount of sugar in most of their cereals. Wonder if I'll hear back?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #3  
is determined!

S/C/G: 208/194.5/130

Height: 5'6"

What you need to remember is that not all "sugars" are created equally. While I am not advocating eating a cereal that is high in any "sugars" daily there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding around this issue. REFINED sugars are BAD but that doesn't mean all things sweet are inherently bad as well. Most of the carbs in many fruits come from "sugars". Are you boycotting fruit, too?

I don't have a box of this particular Kashi cereal in the pantry right now to look at, but most Kashi products are sweetened primarily with brown rice syrup -- a far cry from white sugar.
evoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

COOKIES IN A BOWL !!! I'm so going to make a cereal and call it that!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5"6

I do love Kashi as well--it is a very filling cereal compared to a lot of other breakfast cereals. Particularly I like the Go Lean Crunch in which sometimes I through in some crasins or dried apricots to make it even heartier!
SpicySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I didn't like the Kashi Golean...like mentioned above the calorie content is pretty high and to me it tastes like popped popcorn is the main ingredient. Yuck, I'm not a huge popcorn fan anyway, and soggy popcorn is just wrong! I might as well pour milk on popcorn and toasted oatmeal and sugar...(It would probably taste better for way fewer calories and A LOT less money.) lol

I occasionally have plain old cherrios, But usually it is Fibre One, (the one that looks like rabbit food). I Usually mix a little in my yogurt and fruit to give it a little crunch.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-24-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #7  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
COOKIES IN A BOWL !!! I'm so going to make a cereal and call it that!!!
They already did -- Cookie Crisp.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Cereals set me up poorly as well. The only cereal I'll eat is Steel cut oats and even then I add flax and wheat germ to it. Even Fiber One has me starving within a half hour. It's an appetizer to me.

I do best with either protein or something loaded with fiber. My great breakfasts have both.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

ok. here's my confession. I eat Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger frosted flakes. I've never looked at how much sugar is in it because I'm pretty sure it's just pure sugar formed into flakes. But I have a cup of it with skim milk when I get home from work at one in the morning and I'm not giving it up. It's 200 calories and it makes me happy and y'all can make fun of me for the rest of the day if you want. I gave up meat for lent but DUDE!!! I will not give up my frosted flakes!!!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I've seen many people here that have trouble eating reasonable amount of cereal. But moderate fiber sweet cereals are a major part of my plan. Oat flakes, frosted mini-wheats, kashi cinnamon "cheerios", raisin bran are all part of my daily diet.

It's so interesting to me how our plans are so different but that we're all making progress. Really shows to me why so many fail when trying to follow a diet written by someone else.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I eat regular cheerios sometimes, usually a snack or if I'm just too tired to think, that's sometimes supper. I'll usually add in some hardboiled egg white, so get a bit of protein in there.

My normal breakfast is two nutrigrain waffles - I toast them but like them plain with no syrup or butter. I also have a couple of hardboiled egg whites with those.

My biggest issue is sustainability. It's so easy to grab a couple of frozen waffles and hardboiled eggs and be out the door to work so it's easy for me to start the day off on plan. And a good start helps me stay on plan the rest of the day.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci in training View Post
ok. here's my confession. I eat Frosted Flakes. Tony the Tiger frosted flakes. I've never looked at how much sugar is in it because I'm pretty sure it's just pure sugar formed into flakes. But I have a cup of it with skim milk when I get home from work at one in the morning and I'm not giving it up. It's 200 calories and it makes me happy and y'all can make fun of me for the rest of the day if you want. I gave up meat for lent but DUDE!!! I will not give up my frosted flakes!!!
Hey, you can have your frosted flakes. I'll eat ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
It's so interesting to me how our plans are so different but that we're all making progress. Really shows to me why so many fail when trying to follow a diet written by someone else.
So, so, so true!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I don't eat cold cereals except very rarely. They really don't work for me and they are all processed at some level. 240 calories for a single serving of cereal? That is insane.

Sometimes I'll do hot cereals like oatmeal or other whole grains.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

Just to follow up -- my usual bowl of 1 cup cheerios & 1/2 cup Fibre 1 rabbit food is about 200 cals WITH the milk, and keeps me full til lunch. Since the Kashi this morning, I'VE BEEN STARVING SINCE 10 AM!!!! lol i'll so never buy that cereal !!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #15  

I absolutely adore all things Kashi, and that is exactly the reason why I'm not allowing myself to buy cereal anymore. My favorites are the GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax and the GoLean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble. Add some light vanilla Silk, and it's H-E-A-V-E-N. I also got hooked on their GoLean bars, but had to take them off the shopping list too. Besides Kashi cereal, I go for Apple Cinnamon and Banana Nut Cheerios.

I just made the decision at my last shopping trip that I'm just NOT going to buy cereal anymore. It breaks my heart, but I can go through a box in two days. It's better than sitting down to a bag of potatoes chips, true. But Eating multiple bowls of cheerios at night is not much better calorie wise.
Ann21 is offline   Reply With Quote