100 lb. Club - Even I was surprised! "20 Worst Restaurant Foods"

CJZee
02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
WOW! This list of the "20 Worst Restaurant Foods" (http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/20-worst-restaurant-foods-america#title)from Men's Health Magazine was a real eye-opener for me. I have never been much of a cook, but since starting this journey last year I have really concentrated on preparing fresh, "real" food at home and I honestly think that is one key to success. I'm also glad most restaurants are posting more *nutrition* (I use that word loosely here) information on their websites!

LovebirdsFlying
02-24-2010, 06:37 AM
That was informative. Thank you.

grrrkgrrrl
02-24-2010, 06:56 AM
sort of makes me glad i am on the other side of the pond.

i am sure if someone looked, they'd find similar **** here too.

activeadventurer
02-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Can yhou believe those sodium numbers ! Yikes!!! I love the Eat This Not That books. I have all four (just not the kids one) They have really helped me to eat out without busting out.

dgramie
02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
That is scary!!

AbbySinthe
02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Cheesecake Factory Kids' Pasta with Alfredo Sauce:
1,803 calories
86 g saturated fat
876 mg sodium
70 g carbohydrates

I know alfredo sauce is just the :devil: but still. You'd think they could use lowfat cheese or milk or do something to cut the calories here! And I've heard it said that it's a good idea to sometimes order a childs portion when out to eat or even boxing 1/2 of it up as soon as it arrives, but even if I did both of those things with this meal, it still would have been disasterious! That's just terrible. Thanks so much for the info!

mom with issues
02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Holy s***. I have always known that most restaurant food is not very healthy, but I had no idea that some of it was THAT bad. I have a friend who is on a limited sodium diet and some of those would be 5 or 6 days of sodium intake for him. What should he eat the rest of the time? Can anyone say water retention...

ShylahEQ
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I feel sick to my stomach just reading that list! What an eye opener.

nikki531
02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
WOW!! i knew that ordering out was one of the big causes for my weight gain, but after seeing those numbers, it's no wonder I have gotten to the size I am! Those numbers are just plain scary. YIKES!

marigrace
02-24-2010, 10:03 AM
This makes me really glad I don't eat out much !

kittycat40
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the heads' up!

LizR
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
1,803 calories
86 g saturated fat
876 mg sodium
70 g carbohydrates

This is totally irresponsible! I cook for my kids but there is no way I can be sure they never go out and have a kids meal. I don't expect that to be healthy but I would never expect to have more calories and fat and salt then a child needs for days. :mad:

ubergirl
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
You know, what pisses me off more than anything? It's that a couple of those dishes are marketed as "grilled chicken..."

There you are, trying to stay on plan, looking around the menu for something healthy-ish, and you find the grilled chicken wrap....

"grilled chicken wrap..." I mean it's designed to SOUND like the healthy choice.

I've noticed that at a lot of restaurants-- "the healthy choice" is smothered in 3 kinds of cheese and 8 kinds of sauce and obviously not healthy after all. I mean, come on! If you're going to serve a grilled chicken wrap, how about making it lean and healthy.

There are way too many restaurants where there is not a single healthy choice available....

cathydoe
02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow! I am amazed on one hand and not amazed on the other. *sigh* We eat out a lot too. Of course we don't have many of those restaurants...I can't wait until more restaurants will be putting calories, etc on their menus! That kid's meal one is CRAZY! Makes me want to write the company!!

Trazey34
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
hopefully all of us now are food-savvy enough that after one BITE we'd know exactly what it was LOL horrifying! As soon as I read "ranch...mayo" in the same sandwich - pass! Back in the day i'd have a creamy caesar salad, big alfredo pasta dish, and a giant dessert, ugh what did i do to myself??? geeez! Now I automate my choices at restaurants, because I still love to go. Virtually every place has a salad with grilled chicken, or a small steak with steamed veg on the side. Although those buffalo chicken snack sammiches looked awesome....nooooooo!!!

nelie
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
None of those surprise me and I've seen the lists they've done in the past. The funny one though is five guys fries. Yes... they are fries. If you buy a big bag of fries and eat them, it is going to be a lot of calories. The bag of fries is meant to be shared.

CLCSC145
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow. I've eaten some of these things. No wonder I'm fat!

Outback Steakhouse ribs have 242 grams of fat?! What, are they soaking them in lard before grilling them?

pinkalarmclock
02-24-2010, 12:01 PM
i don't think i will ever eat something at a restaurant without looking at the nutritional information first ever again. i can't believe cheesecake factory had about 5 things on the list!

HomeHealthRN29
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Geez, makes you wonder about all the other foods they don't mention. I about fell over when I read the kids alfredo pasta from the Cheesecake Factory. My daughter gets that all the time! Never would have guessed it is worse that Mcdonalds! Never again.

L R K
02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow that is a real eye opener

Magrat
02-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I've only ever eaten the very last item on the list, Outback Steakhouse's 1900 calorie brownie sundae dessert. I've had it exactly twice, once for each time I've eaten at Outback Steakhouse. I knew the calories were high, but it's a substantial dessert and, as we all know, restaurant foods tend to pack a calorie wallop. If I know I'm going out to eat, something I do maybe once a year, I just eat less for a few days before and after to compensate for the extra calories

FromFat2Fit
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
1,803 calories
86 g saturated fat
876 mg sodium
70 g carbohydrates

I know alfredo sauce is just the :devil: but still. You'd think they could use lowfat cheese or milk or do something to cut the calories here! And I've heard it said that it's a good idea to sometimes order a childs portion when out to eat or even boxing 1/2 of it up as soon as it arrives, but even if I did both of those things with this meal, it still would have been disasterious! That's just terrible. Thanks so much for the info!

That is the one that really turned my stomach.

Nada
02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I ranted on another thread about restaurants, but I ordered spinach the other night--SPINACH. And it had at least 3 TBSPS of oil on it! SPINACH! Who thinks that is a good idea??

CJZee
02-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Outback Steakhouse ribs have 242 grams of fat?! What, are they soaking them in lard before grilling them?

^^This is too funny^^ :rofl:

mandalinn82
02-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Yes. Well, fat anyway. Most steakhouses douse all proteins in butter...marinate in butter, cook, then put more butter on top. It makes the meat shiny and taste "juicy".

roxmysox
02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow, what an eye opener!

Michelle98272
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I went out for lunch with an old friend this week. We went to Romeo's Pizza and Pasta. I ordered the same thing I used to always order (Pasta Putanesca) and ate about 1/4 of what I used to eat. I took the rest of it home and literally served it for my boyfriend and son AND I the next night as a main dish! The one restaurant order was equivalent to 3-4 real life servings of food. It really doesn't surprise me that any of those foods are "the worst", they are fried, battered, chocolate covered and HUGE portioned.

I used to eat out (and over eat, out!) all the time...no wonder I got fat!!

Elladorine
02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
I absolutely love the site this info is from. I check back with it every so often to remind myself of why I need to check labels and why I need to look up what I can ahead of time (or at least know what entrees are decent) before going out to eat.

The huge eye-opener for me several months back was the Thai Crunch Chicken Salad (http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/worst-thai-salad) from California Pizza Kitchen. :o Fortunately they've since whittled down (http://eatthis.menshealth.com/blog/worst-salad-and-best-pizzas-america) the size and calorie count; apparently the half size portion is now a healthy meal. :D

eratosthanes
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I can happily say I have never eaten a SINGLE ONE of those foods! That being said, I used to eat a Rally's (Checkers) cheeseburger, or TWO BLT's and a Fully Loaded (cheese sauce AND ranch, AND bacon) fry at least once a week! It is no wonder that I am this size either, lol.

Hello Nurse
02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Did anyone else find most of the pics nauseating? Blech.

I too am annoyed at some of the healthy sounding choices. The grilled chicken and avocado club is totally something I would order thinking I was pretty much on plan. Yikes!

Mystical Mamma
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
wow - very eye opening! Makes you think twice before ordering off the menu! Thanks for sharing!

Aclai4067
02-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd say the only one that surprised me was the grilled chicken and avacado sandwhich. The only thing on there I've tried was the Chili's buffalo chicken bites, they're actually aweful (even though I love their regular buffalo chicken sandwhich which I'm sure is very nearly as bad for you). The pasta bowl thing looks kinda good to me. Other than those items, nothing on that list really apeals to me.

Beverlyjoy
02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
good greif! Very eye openning.

dumplingtype
02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I know many find it intrusive, but this is the reason I like the law in nyc & westchester co that forces chains to post the calories on their menus. I don't have to second guess myself, as I've gone out before and still lost weight. Is there anything remotely healthy on Cheesecake Factory's menu. That place is one giant landmine!

Glory87
02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, they have a few healthy salads that are less than 600 calories. I got some kind of southwestern salad with the dressing on the side and it was really really tasty.

Thighs Be Gone
02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
It actually makes me mad to see the list. Mad because it one more thing that is killing our country and destroying lives. Mad because it is absolutely NEEDLESS. So many super tasty and wonderful choices without doing that kind of damage to a body. Sure, if eating out was only few times a year, sure. But for most people, eating out these days is a too common occurance. Frightening to remember that the calorie/fat counts are only IF some cook is actually careful about what they are doing. What if you get ahold of a cook that is a little too happy with the mayo, butter or ranch?

BeachBreeze2010
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree, Thighs, it is irresponsible and deceptive. I have an expectation of about how many calories are in a chicken and avocado sandwich and that's what I assume I'm eating. If they are 3 times more than that, how would the consumer ever know? It is unnecessary. I can make a grilled chicken and avocado sandwich at home for a normal amount of calories that tastes really good. As a society, we've come down on fast food chains pretty hard, but I think the worst violators are the casual restaurants. It makes it a lot easier to order a salad with grilled chicken sans anything else at a restaurant knowing that what I think might have 800 calories actually has twice that.

JustSharing83
02-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I can't believe Applebee's Quesadilla Burger is the worst sit-down burger. I once ordered it thinking maybe it would be healthier than the regular burger, I guess since it didn't have a traditional bun. It was tasty but certainly not worth those numbers. This was at a time I was not dieting so I had not checked into the info. I can honestly say I'll never have it again.

But I just remembered, I only ate half, packaged up the other half, then accidentally left it behind. All for the best apparently!

WhitePicketFences
02-25-2010, 04:27 PM
That actually made me mad, too -- especially the fact that the alfredo is labelled as a kid's meal, with a day's worth of calories for a grown adult, and more than 4 day's worth of sodium for a grown adult!

Honestly, almost every picture looked disgusting to me, except for the stuffed pizza and the french fries. And I do like buffalo chicken as a general rule.

The only thing on that list I've eaten is the Five Guys fries -- last summer on vacation my husband got an order (not a bag, though?!) with his burger. I ate my greek yogurt and flax but also helped myself to 3 of his french fries. Which is a good rule for me when I really want something. I do actually recall that I thought they were very tasty for french fries ... most french fries are not so appealing to me.

diary
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, I thought I would get through without seeing anything that I would have eaten before. I was wrong - the crispy honey shrimp are pretty good. (and I still stand by that!)

That;s the only thing on that list though that I think I could still eat - I guess my tastes have changed in the past year!

nelie
02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I agree, Thighs, it is irresponsible and deceptive. I have an expectation of about how many calories are in a chicken and avocado sandwich and that's what I assume I'm eating. If they are 3 times more than that, how would the consumer ever know? It is unnecessary. I can make a grilled chicken and avocado sandwich at home for a normal amount of calories that tastes really good. As a society, we've come down on fast food chains pretty hard, but I think the worst violators are the casual restaurants. It makes it a lot easier to order a salad with grilled chicken sans anything else at a restaurant knowing that what I think might have 800 calories actually has twice that.

Well to be honest, the club has grilled chicken breast (an entire chicken breast is 400 calories?), avocado (an entire avocado is 400), bacon (a couple hundred calories?), swiss cheese (a couple hundred calories?) and mayo (again could be a couple hundred calories) and then your bread which I'd expect to be about 400 calories. Overall, it doesn't seem to be deceptive.

marigrace
02-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I know many find it intrusive, but this is the reason I like the law in nyc & westchester co that forces chains to post the calories on their menus. I don't have to second guess myself, as I've gone out before and still lost weight.

Yep, that was the best thing Mayor Boomberg EVER did !

Passionista
02-26-2010, 09:43 AM
At the risk of sounding smug, it feels good to know I've never eaten any of those things and would only consider eating one of them (the fries) and only if it was shared with several people. I've actually only eaten at one of those restaurants too, PF Chang's.

Being a strict vegetarian allows me to avoid so many things that just aren't good for anyone!

Nada
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I must admit I was surprised at some of the numbers---although I knew a lot of this,

I bought the book, though, not so much for me, but in hopes my husband will find it and browse through it. Look, honey, I'm not the only one saying these things.