Pudgy Pets - Dog tricks thread!

View Full Version : Dog tricks thread!

HokieLoki
02-24-2010, 06:06 AM
My dog Loki is a year and 9 months old... and she is my pride and joy! When I am sad, lonely, or need a hug, she's there. (she's the little black puppy in my profile picture, not the Aussie. She was about 2 months old then.)

I like to show her off to people, but most people aren't impressed by just a dog. they're impressed my a dog that does tricks! So once i got her basic obedience down, I've started teaching Loki a lot of tricks. We've never been to obedience school, I did it all on my own.

I taught her to do the Hokie Pokie. Virginia Tech does the Hokie Pokie at every football game, so I thought it would be cute.

She jumps through hula hoops. I can hold a hula hoop up to about 3 and a half to 4 feet off the ground and she'll sail right through. I have 3 of them so she does them in a row.

She also knows "go to the other room" which means that she is to go into the other room and stay, (usually she'll fall asleep on my bed) until I say it's ok.

she knows a bunch of regular tricks, "the keep the treat on the nose until I say OK" trick, and when I so say ok, she has to flip it in the air and catch it.

"crawl" with her belly on the floor
"up" and "off" I laugh when I make her "up" and "off" the couch repeatedly for a little bit, she looks at me like "gosh mama, make up your mind!"
"spin" in a little circle
"roll over"
"play dead" she will also play dead if you point your finger at her like a gun and go "bang" thanks to my neighbor
"sit pretty" with her paws up in the air
"shake" with both paws, she will switch back and forth if you ask her
"high five" which she will also do if I say "Hokie touchdown!"
"kisses" she'll come and lick my cheek
"leave it" "drop it" "get it" even if she has a piece of Filet in her mouth and I say "drop it" she will spit it out (yeah I tested that.) That is something I am proud of.

I also made her a little bi-lingual... Just the basics. She knows Sentate (sit), abajo (down), quedate ahi (stay), and Veni aca (come). oh, and besos (kiss)

right now I'm working on "are you ashamed?" the end result will have her lay down, head on the ground and paw over eyes. I've got everything but the paws over the eyes part down... so far.

It's not Pet Star or anything, but she's still technically a puppy... I'm looking for new cute ideas... what cute or impressive tricks does your dog do?

MindiV
02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I've got a rat terrier, Daisy, and she's nearly 2 years old. We did the basic obedience thing. She's INSANELY smart...but also INSANELY stubborn and will only learn tricks when she wants to.

She knows sit, down, up/dance, can shake hands and I taught her to crawl in about 5 minutes using leftover bacon from breakfast one day. It's cute...she just pulls with her front legs and drags her back legs out behind her.

I REALLY want to teach her to roll over...how'd you teach your dog? Daisy hates being on her back, so I don't know if I'll ever get it done...

SalaamDementia
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I've tried and tried to teach my pomeranian to roll over, but he's having none of it. He knows all the basic commands - sit, stay, come, drop it and does some fun ones, shake, high-five, dance. I love to teach him things but we end up doing more playing than learning most of the time. :P

L R K
02-24-2010, 04:01 PM
awww that is super cute Hokie :)

I have an almost 2 year old Aussie and she can do several things and no obdience training for her either :) I am looking to teach her another trick but not sure what yet ... any suggestions??

This is what she knows so far.

Sit
Drop (which means lay down)
Leave It (she won't pick something up even if it is dropped right in front of her)
Give (she'll give me whatever she's holding in her mouth)
Where's your father?? ( this is my fave one! She knows to go find my fiance when I say that, she'll run over to him touch her nose to his leg and then come running back, it is super cute :) )
Water ( she'll go to her water bowl take a quick drink then come right back)
Beg (sit on her butt with her paws in the air)
Roll over
High Five (paw in the air)
Shake (paw in my hand)
Back (she'll walk backwards - well it's kinda more like bunny hopping backwards)
Under (she'll walk underneath your legs)
Bed (she'll go lay/sit on her bed in the family room)
Bedtime (she'll go to her crate)
Up (she'll get up, either to stand or sit from a lying position)
Crawl (with her belly on the floor)
Spin (turn around in a circle)
Bow (front legs flat on the ground, butt in the air)

They're so much fun to teach :)

HokieLoki
02-25-2010, 01:59 AM
funny, roll over is Loki's least favorite trick. Sometimes instead of rolling over, she will get on her side and then spin around. then she'll look up at me like "did i fool you?"

I taught her by having her "down"
then take a treat and bring it from her nose where she could see it, back behind her head. At first she would get up and turn all the way around but with in a few minutes she would get on her side.
then I would move the treat in an arch, making her roll to her other side.
it was natural for her to get back up after that
this whole time I would be saying "roll over."
There are other methods, if you do a quick internet search I'm sure you could find some. She got it down pat in less than 3 ten minute sessions. I never make a lesson more than 10 minutes, it will wear both of us out.

I forgot, Loki knows "back" too.
and words i don't think of commands, but I guess, if I say "kennel" she'll run to her crate, and if I say "treat" she will run to the drawer where I keep the treats. she also goes nuts if I say "walk"

Lauren, aren't Aussie's great? The white one in my profile pic, Brooks, was such a good girl. She wasn't smart, one of the dumbest dogs I have ever met, but she was sure sweet. Have you done any frisbee training? Brooks loved her frisbees, she would catch them with acrobatic air stunts all day long... but she never got the whole "bring the frisbee back to mommie" part. I tried teaching Loki the frisbee but she would rather chew it into pieces than anything else.

I started to teach Loki "bow" this afternoon.

MindiV
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I sat with Daisy last night and worked on "roll over." It's going to take some time...she will NOT even go to her side. "Down" she's got perfect...but I guess for her it's giving up control if she lays on her side. It'll take a lot of work...

L R K
02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Hokie - yes Aussie's are great, super sweet and very loyal. Kammi is super smart, a little too smart at times. She does the same thing as Loki when it comes to "roll over". Sometimes she'll kinda lay down and turn on her back a little if she's being lazy and think that is enough :) Oh and I forgot to add "bow" to her list of tricks, she can do that one too :)

Kammi does't know the word "walk" because I don't like how crazy dogs get when they know they are going for a walk. I won't even leave the house until she has calmed down completely. Too much excitement in general is a bad thing for her because of her breed. I don't know if you've ever watched "The Dog Whisperer" but that is how Kammi was raised, with calm-assertiveness.

Kammi doesn't like frisbee's I have tried many times but she still prefers a ball or her soft Kong for play at the park and luckily she will always bring them back for another throw, not much of a toy chewer anymore.

HokieLoki
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
yeah, even though she knows the word, Loki can't leave the house until she is completely calm, either. I just think it's hilarious when I say "walk" and she runs over to where the leashes are and back to me, back to the leashes, and so forth until she sits down next to the leashes. I don't do it all the time, I made the mistake of teaching her the word when she was just a little puppy.

I'm a huge fan of Cesar Millan, and I raised her with calm assertiveness also. Her breed has to be properly trained and socialized, and gets a bad rap, even when they are as behaved and trained as Loki. She's an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Mindi, getting on their back is a sign of submission to dogs, and if they are already adverse to it, it will take time. but don't ever force her, because that will cause distrust. you can do it!

Aunty Jam
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
My young dog also hates to roll over, he has a very dominate personality. He will do it for us though.

A cute trick I've taught mine is "Wipe your face" which means they take their paw and wipe it across the top of their nose. I put a piece of tape on their nose and praised them when they tried to get it off, added a command and that was it, super easy.

Another easy one is "Hide!" where they run behind me and peak out between my legs, my old dog does it really well but the young one just about puts me on my butt every time we do it. I can't remember exactly how I did that one.

My dogs will also weave between my legs while I'm standing still or walking but I can't remember exactly how I trained that either. I think I mostly just led them with treats and slowly put it together for them.

The cutest thing my youngest dog does is chase his tail, he did it so much as a pup we just added the command "Get your tail!". We can make him go either direction, he won't stop until he catches it. Go figure his name is Chase.

I love Pitties too, I hate that there is so much stero typing around the bullie breeds. Hubby and I are considering a Staffie for our next dog but haven't decided yet, that will be a while off. Chase is actually part Bull Terrier and has many of the breeds traits.

EZMONEY
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't know how many times reba and Rylee have had me turn Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer show off ...

they don't buy into that Pack Leader stuff ;)

MindiV
03-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, Daisy is working on rolling over. It's slow going, but she's done a messy sort of turn on the ground sometimes. We're working on it...

L R K
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
It's such a shame some breeds have such a bad rep. when really the owners are the ones to blame.

L R K
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't know how many times reba and Rylee have had me turn Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer show off ...

they don't buy into that Pack Leader stuff ;)

LOL! :lol:

yooperfinn
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
My young dog also hates to roll over, he has a very dominate personality. He will do it for us though.

A cute trick I've taught mine is "Wipe your face" which means they take their paw and wipe it across the top of their nose. I put a piece of tape on their nose and praised them when they tried to get it off, added a command and that was it, super easy.

Another easy one is "Hide!" where they run behind me and peak out between my legs, my old dog does it really well but the young one just about puts me on my butt every time we do it. I can't remember exactly how I did that one.

My dogs will also weave between my legs while I'm standing still or walking but I can't remember exactly how I trained that either. I think I mostly just led them with treats and slowly put it together for them.

The cutest thing my youngest dog does is chase his tail, he did it so much as a pup we just added the command "Get your tail!". We can make him go either direction, he won't stop until he catches it. Go figure his name is Chase.

I love Pitties too, I hate that there is so much stero typing around the bullie breeds. Hubby and I are considering a Staffie for our next dog but haven't decided yet, that will be a while off. Chase is actually part Bull Terrier and has many of the breeds traits.
Hi...

What kind of dog do you have as your avatar....I have a shelter dog that looks just like that one, but don't know the breed...

L R K
03-16-2010, 01:43 PM
yooperfinn - the 2 dogs in aunty jam's pic are Border Collies I believe.

HokieLoki
03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
in the Dog Agility thread, Aunty Jam says they're both mutts, "Kelly (in front) is a Siberian Husky cross," and "Chase is mostly Border Collie"

karla
04-03-2010, 03:22 AM
I know it sounds silly...but have any of you taught your dogs to "talk". I was really bored & searched it on Youtube...it is a bit of a vice for me lol. That is what happens when you have a lot of free time :) So my Corgi (Midgey) now "says" I love you, mama, grandma, & let's go (that one is for when my bf is taking too long to get ready) lol. He does anything for a carrot...hence why he is also now on a diet lol.

HokieLoki
04-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Loki is a pretty quiet dog, I have never heard her howl at all, and she usually only barks at strange noises outside the window at night or when she gets really excited playing with her doggie friends. i'm not sure how I would start to teach her to "talk"

I recently taught her "speak" but she's not perfect at it yet... again, she's not vocal and usually the first response is a little soft mumble, and when she does bark, it's always with a little hop, like she's getting ready to run away. I am not sure why, but I think it's because she doesn't want to bark at me.

oh yeah, and Loki loves carrots, too. I usually eat them for a night snack and she will lay down next to me and look at me with the sad eyes whenever I have any.

karla
04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Gotta love those "please feed me" eyes.

giselley
04-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I have an Italian Greyhound who can jump a barrier twice her height while holding a can of cat food in her mouth. She'll do it every time.

stacylambert
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
My Rocky doesn't do any one trick that's really impressive, but I think the fact that he's deaf and learned them all with hand signs is the amazing part.

sit - palm up
down - palm down
wait - one finger up, like you're saying "one minute"
stay - hand up like "stop"
crawl - drag you finger along the floor
come - normal "come" sign, waving your hand towards you
play dead - that one should be obvious
rollover - trace a circle horizontally with your finger
spin - trace a circle vertically with your finger
get on your spot - point to where you want him to go
high five and low five - just like with people

I think that's it for actual tricks. He also does some agility and he knows signs for all the normal words that hearing dogs pick up like food, car, outside, etc.

The funny thing is that we didn't realize he was deaf at first. He graduated his puppy class without us knowing. He picked up the required commands just from the unintentional hand movements we made with the treats!

karla
04-06-2010, 01:18 AM
I have an Italian Greyhound who can jump a barrier twice her height while holding a can of cat food in her mouth. She'll do it every time.
nice!

karla
04-06-2010, 01:20 AM
My Rocky doesn't do any one trick that's really impressive, but I think the fact that he's deaf and learned them all with hand signs is the amazing part.

sit - palm up
down - palm down
wait - one finger up, like you're saying "one minute"
stay - hand up like "stop"
crawl - drag you finger along the floor
come - normal "come" sign, waving your hand towards you
play dead - that one should be obvious
rollover - trace a circle horizontally with your finger
spin - trace a circle vertically with your finger
get on your spot - point to where you want him to go
high five and low five - just like with people

I think that's it for actual tricks. He also does some agility and he knows signs for all the normal words that hearing dogs pick up like food, car, outside, etc.

The funny thing is that we didn't realize he was deaf at first. He graduated his puppy class without us knowing. He picked up the required commands just from the unintentional hand movements we made with the treats!
Stacy that is awesome! Rocky seems like a great pup :)

Phoenix301
04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Stacy: That is really awesome. My border collie - Aussie mix Asia is 6 months and I teach her both verbally and with my hands and its amazing to me that many times she doesn't need to hear me say anything. Pointing or making a certain motion many times gets a reaction.

One of Asia's more recent things is the water command. She is such a smart dog I didn't even mean for this to happen..we play Frisbee and since its been getting warm out she gets hot very quick due to the fact that she has the black fur that lays down like a Border Collies but its longer because of the Aussie in her. So for the last week or so we have had a crock of water out when we play and when she would get hot she would go over to get a drink by herself and I would say "good girl go get a drink" and soon enough after that happened a few times i would point and say 'go get a drink' or 'go get some water' and she would go over and take a brief drink and then look at me like "Okay mom can we play now??"

Phoenix301
04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm so proud of Asia recently! Finally getting the hang of 'catch' and thanks to you guys on here, she is making progress with roll over..she has been getting stuck half way and will lay on her back sometimes instead of completing the roll..but i find it cute! Hopefully with more practice she will get a hang of catching the frisbee better and she can be a disk dog! She certainly has potential!

stacylambert
04-17-2010, 05:42 AM
I'm so proud of Asia recently! Finally getting the hang of 'catch' and thanks to you guys on here, she is making progress with roll over..she has been getting stuck half way and will lay on her back sometimes instead of completing the roll..but i find it cute! Hopefully with more practice she will get a hang of catching the frisbee better and she can be a disk dog! She certainly has potential!

Doesn't if feel great when they "get" something? I remember trying to teach Rocky to play dead and it took forever. It was totally my fault though because I couldn't figure out how to tell him what was expected of him. He was so cute trying to do all these different things. I could just picture him thinking "what the heck does this lady want from me?" LOL! When we finally got it I was sooo happy.

I hope you and Asia have fun practicing with the disk!

kaplods
04-17-2010, 06:37 AM
When I was going to graduate school (living with my parents) I taught their maltese to sit, sit pretty (upright), speak, play dead when you pretended to shoot him, and to roll over. And to sneeze on command, but he was so obsessed with treats that if he got very excited he would forget the commands so he would try all of them in quick succession (starting with the sneeze and usually ending in rolling over and over and over).

My sisters also taught him to play "king" (they were 8 and 10 at the time). He would lie on his back in a werid sitting/lying position on a pillow and they would carry the pillow around the house like it was a processional.

When my brother and I were small we had a sheltie-beagle mix who we'd taught to play ball (not just catch, she'd "throw" the ball back). We used a wiffle ball that was a bit too big and slippery for her to catch. So, one of us would sit opposite her, throw the ball and when she'd catch the ball and try to bite it, it would shoot out of her mouth back at us for us to catch and throw again. So you could play "catch" with her until you got bored with it.

We taught her tons of tricks, mostly obstacle course stuff (a lot like agility training, but we thought we invented it). For example she'd climb a ladder (but we could never teach her to come down - she'd jump from a step ladder to the ground or from a full length ladder into our arms, but would never go "down" the steps).

I don't have a dog right now. Hubby and I have a fat old cat, but I've taught her a few tricks. She learned sit pretty (sitting on her haunces) before she learned sit. She'll wash her paws on command. She'll come when called (she's a typical fat girl - very motivated by food treats). We're working on fetch, but laziness gets in the way. She'll plop on the floor and look at us with what seems to be a "you've got to be kidding" expression on her face.

The cat we had before her, I trained to sit on the scale so I could weigh her without having to weigh myself at the same time. I only ever used praise (she had the personality of a small dog - always following us around the house, always "talking" to us, always begging for attention). Every morning when she heard me get the scale out, she'd come racing around the corner to sit on the scale. Problem was, I could never get her off the scale without calling to husband asking him to call the cat to distract her so I could weigh myself. We trained her to walk on a leash, and we'd take her for walks. She was a lot more distracted on walks than a dog would be, but for the most part she walked pretty well on the leash. Especially if hubby was in the lead (she would have followed him anywhere. She liked me, but she adored hubby).

Phoenix301
04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I am so EXCITED and proud of Asia (and myself) tonight! Shes catching her frisbee in mid air like a pro at 6 1/2 months!..It's taken several days of working but tonight it finally clicked..i was so happy because she has been -fetching- but not -catching- the Frisbee for 2 1/2 months..when I got her to catch treats last week and then toys I knew I was on my way so I tried several techniques and she was sooo close to getting it down every time..usually she would drop it or it would land a few feet away (she would stop short) or it would hit her and bounce off..Tonight she made her first true catch and I was so excited I did a dance right there in my yard! Once she realized what I wanted her to do she became more consistent and in like 5 mins she was JUMPING to catch it in mid air..I have been waiting for this moment it seems like forever so I can start disk training! :D

kaplods - I too have trained some of my cats to do things. They will come when called, especially with a "Psst" sound and rubbing my fingers and thumb together almost like the 'money' thing people do..Fidget Digit and Bandit will all do the sit pretty thing ("Pretty Kitty"). Digit will fetch is he is feeling playful and Bandit sits in the empty seat at the kitchen table and will physically paw at my moms elbow for scraps.