Alternachicks - Alternachat Aug/Sept

View Full Version : Alternachat Aug/Sept

ellis
08-27-2002, 08:41 PM
hello darlings... hope everyone is doing well.
Ummm, yes thank you, Mauvais... I'm.... actually, no... that would be a lie. I'm NOT feeling better, but thank you for asking. :) I'm considering asking my doctor to change my meds.
The children start school next week though, so things SHOULD start to get a little better. I'm joining the YMCA next week. I'm feeling a little bit apprehensive about it, but I'm sure it'll be fine once I get over my inferiority complex. :rolleyes:
Good luck with getting a new job... you've got a lot going for you sweetie, and the right one will come along at the right time...

Terri! You don't know where Niagara Falls is?!?! Holy moly!! :lol:

Hi everyone else... excuse me... my daughter and I are going to play a Nancy Drew game on the PC.
xoxo

mauvaisroux
08-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Ellis-glad to see that you are still among us:) Maybe a change of routine will be good for you. The Y is a great idea. I was actually feeling more energetic when I was going to the gym a few times a week. You are right about the initial self-conciousness :o but I found that if you just focus on what you are doing you just get on with it. The worst for me was getting in the pool-bathing suit time-aarg! :o I swear if DH hadn't have been with me I never would have made it out of the dressing room and into the pool area:rolleyes:

Thanks for the well wishes re: job hunting:)

Sojourner
08-28-2002, 12:26 AM
and say hi to everyone! So, could someone please explain how to post a picture under my name. :?: Thanks!

Lamorgan
08-28-2002, 07:26 AM
Hello, good morning...

Cool mornings here to walk in and a hint of autumn to come. I'm repairing old plaster walls in my kitchen, preparing to paint them 'golden laughter', a rich yellow colour. So much work to prep walls.

Ugh, kids up and bickering already. School starts Tuesday, less than a week away. I'm finally ready to settle into routine again.

Everyone take care and have a great day...

L

Ruthxxx
08-28-2002, 08:00 AM
Good morning, Alternachickies.

Well, it's cool this morning and fall really must be coming! I wish I had kids to send off to school next Tuesday just so I could feel the relief! I'M JUST KIDDING! One good thing about school starting is that the campers will clear out of our beautiful park and the dogs and I will be able to walk there - until the hunting season starts! Not all the Yahoos around here read the No Hunting signs. I can imagine one of my wooly black girls being mistaken for a bear cub!

This morning I am going to zip into town (Smiths Falls) for some hot peppers and other goodies and make another batch of salsa this afternoon. The homemaker in me loves to see those jars lining my pantry shelves. Somebody should make wallpaper with jars of jams and pickles on it - would save a **** of a lot of work.

Did the dentist thing yesterday. When you get older, they start replacing old fillings for something to do! I actually really like my dentist - she lives in the next village and has a gorgeous office with windows overlooking her garden and orchard.

Sojourner, do you mean the picture like the dog below my name? That is called an avatar. To get one you go to your profile and in Edit Options at the bottom is info on how to select one. There is a selection on this site but you can also use other pictures from your own files - IF THEY ARE SMALL ENOUGH. Hope this helps. If not PM me and I'll try to clarify.

Whoops! 7:58! We are off for a walk before driving to town.

mauvaisroux
08-28-2002, 08:12 AM
Moprning everyone! :yawn:

Rude awakening this morning at 6:50 when the phone rang, it was someone from DH's work calling in sick so he had to get up an hour early and go in to open up the office. Thank goodness I made the lunches last night-that should teach me to get into the habit of doing that! :lol:

Hello and welcome Sojourner:) I guess Ruthxxx explained how to put a picture up to you already but if you need help with it just let us know.

Ruthxx-well aren't you just the little susie homemaker!:) I am jealous, I would love to do canning and preserving but my kitchen isn't big enough, one day when I have my house with a huge garden and kitchen...one can always dream:cloud9:

:p must dash off to work now! You chickies have a great day:D

Ruthxxx
08-28-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey Mauvais! There is a time for everything. If I am Suzy Homemaker, you can be Career Girl SKipper! Remember her?

Wanttolosealot
08-28-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi Alternachickies!
How are we all today? Ellis I am sorry to hear youare still not feeling well, but yes we are all optimistic that with school starting next week, so will go away our stress. They can be little darlings , can't they.
Soozie- How was the beach, did you do any skinny dipping? Any cuties on the beach? Hope you really relaxed and enjoyed yourself. Boy there sure were a lot of cute lesbians on here while you were away.
Well, off to my moms to drop the kids off and then off to work for me! yeah!

Love, laugh and enjoy live

Wantolosealot

mauvaisroux
08-28-2002, 08:25 AM
No, but I do remember malibu Stacey! It kinda sucked that most of the Barbies were blondes, few redheads and brunettes and even fewer Barbies of other nationalities (er, is that politically correct?)

Didn't matter any way...I ended up cutting their hair and colouring it with food dye or markers and made them into doctor's, musicians, and other liberated career women, no cheerleeder barbies for me! My friend and I even had witch barbies who lived in a house like the Adams family:lol: they were very spiritually empowered too I might add. Boy I was a weird kid, must have come from watching old Vincent price movies with my parents:lol:

Oh yeah, I had a Cher doll too:rolleyes:

mauvaisroux
08-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Okay Chicks, so I did some house cleaning of the forum this morning...so...if anyone would care to start a new pigs anonymous thread or any other topic that would be fab!:soap: talk amongst yourselves...you goyles are like buttah, oy! you are ahl princesses:queen: Must go have some coyfee now:)

flower
08-28-2002, 10:06 AM
Yes, I agree, The page was big. But I wasn't gonna start a new one. Each time I do it, no one every posts. Then I start getting paranoid that my deoderant isn't working or my butt looks too big in these jeans ect. Well, you know what I mean. Someday my self conscience behavior will go away...probably once I am completely gray and have no living friends. Right around age 98. :) I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi. I am off to but more stuff into boxes. Will this ever end? I am actuaaly packing the moving van up on the 6th, driving on the 7th, unloading on the 8th. I will be so happy to have a day I don't have to do anything but go look at houses. Maybe I can start walking again. It is still too hot here to do it, but 400 miles north should help that a lot! I will probably have to help cook while I am there. I hate cooking in someone elses kitchen. I left the crockpot receipe book out. I eat heathier than my dad does. Maybe I can help them out on that.... Well...if I go MIA, just know that I will return sometime after the 10th.... ~flower

Punkinseed
08-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Mornin' Lovlies....

Well, I got my sunrise clock yesterday and the, ahem, idiots sent me an empty box... :doh: The guy called me back extremely apologetic saying they must've shipped me the box for the demo they have (no one checks these things??). So, I have another one coming... I can't wait, I can already feel the "it's dark already" blues coming on. Last year was awful and I hope to avoid going through *that* again.

Hi Flower! Yes, the moving will end eventually, it just doesn't feel like it!

Good luck all you moms with kiddles going back to school! There are times I wish I could send my cats to boot camp (grumble, grumble...waking me up at 4am, grumble, wanting to play, grumble, drinking water outta my cup....)

mauvais, thank you for spiffy'ing things up! It looks bootiful!

Guess that's all for now... off to finish billing. Can't wait for this 3 day weekend!!!!! :spin:

Have my cholesterol test tomarrow, so I must starve myself after 7pm tonight... such fun :rolleyes:

Terri

Sojourner
08-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Look at my new pic! This will have to do until I find my own. Giggle... nothing like a little sausage to cheer one up. :p

Sojourner
08-28-2002, 12:07 PM
I have my own great fresh salsa recipe which is best with fresh veggies from the garden. It is a HUGE hit everytime I make it and it is known as "Amy's Salsa" (Amy... that's me). Try it:

6 large garden fresh tomatos, seeded and diced
1 white onion, diced
1 or 2 hot peppers of your choice, diced and added to taste
fresh cilantro, cut up with kitchen shears... around a cup
1 to 2 T of salt

Thats it! You will love it.

My garden veggies are in full force right now... I really need to get out there and start harvesting stuff. I always plant way more than necessary even thought my garden is so tiny. I have very fertile soil and a green thumb I guess, as evertything seems to thrive. Last year I did some tomato canning for the first time. I diced tomatos until my hands were raw with the all that acidic juice. I thought I would have so many jars and I ended up with like only five!!! And then the jars took forever to seal. I was so paranoid I would die of botulism or something if I did it wrong. I think I was up until 2 am wondering if the jars sealed properly. It was quite traumatic. :dizzy: I guess I will try again this year... since in a couple of weeks I am going to have hundreds of roma tomatos.

barefootgrrrl
08-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Sojogrrl -

Thanks for the salsa recipe :) tonight I'm making tomato caprese salad from the garden overflow of a gentleman I work with :) I will post the recipe, if it turns out to be good !

I am following Protein Power, so I love your new pic! LOL

Punkin - is the sunshine clock for SAD? My friend suffers from this.....and she has decided this will be the year she gets help.... how does the clock vary from a light box?

Mauvais - you ah killin' me heya with yoa wundaful sense of huma goylefriend! all that barbietaulk had me rofl this AM

Ellis - I'm thinking about you..hope you feel better soon:chockiss: I know how you feel about the Y. As they say, the hardest part is getting started. Not so long ago, I got on the scale after years of denial........all of this is a game of inches ( ooh - what was that? a pun?)

Flower - if you start a thread, I'll respond enthusiastically :) I like calling you flower, reminds me of Bambi :)

Terri #1 - if you tell me how to get to Mount Hood, I'll tell you how to get to Niagara Falls

hugs all - barefoot terrigrrrl

mauvaisroux
08-28-2002, 03:48 PM
:lol: nothing like a big sausage to reeeaaally cheer one up;)

Ruthxxx
08-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Hey! Watch it! We moderators are supposed to set a good example.
(After you, my dear!)

mauvaisroux
08-28-2002, 04:21 PM
What:shrug: So I was feeling a little sad today and went to a hot dog cart for lunch:shrug:

Sojourner
08-28-2002, 07:09 PM
Hee hee Mauvaisroux... I almost put "nothing like a morning sausage" but I wondered if that would cross the line. :s:

dentrassi
08-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Italian sausage is the best....nice and big and....OOPS!!

WOW!! My kids started school this past Monday and things have actually gotten MORE crazy here. DH and I went to "test drive" a car (looking to replace '86 Corolla which is quickly losing the battle...) and wound up buying, so we have been running around getting insurance, trying to cover the check we wrote....you get the picture!!!

Mauvais- I used to cut my dolls' hair too. I used to make them BALD, but that was when I still thought that their hair grew. Now I know they have to go out and buy a new wig.

Ruth-Homemeade salsa.....YUM!!!!

Soujourner-I'm with you. I am fine doing jams etc. but I worry about canning vegetables. I have been eating so many tomatoes it isn't funny!! Love it though!!!

Punkin-Thanks for the good wishes. I was worried about the 12 year old going back, because he had a ROUGH year last year, but so far so good!!

Ellis-Sorry you are feeling bad. We need to exercise. That will probably help a bit. Love you!!

Barefoot-YUP!! I can use all the tomato recipes I can get right now!!

flower-good luck with the move!! I really don't envy you. I HATE moving, even when I want to move!! We'll be sending lots of "light box" and "easy move" vibes your way!!

Wanttolose-Maybe you have said, but I forgot. How old are your kids? Are they going to school next week too?

Who else had their kids return to school this week?

See you all later!!

Lamorgan
08-29-2002, 05:19 AM
My kitchen is a bright sunshine yellow, WOW; it's really bright. But it will be super in Feb, when it is not bright outside. I'm doing my second coat this morning, then we have to zip off to renew Health cards which expire on my birthday in 2 weeks.

I'm so ready for life to return to routine. Kids to go back, husband to go back... Holidays are so much work it seems. My house is completely upside down and as I work in one area the others are quickly undone. That's the down-side of a big old house...

Just looked at my paint in the kitchen and I fear I'll need 3 coats.

Ellis; sorry to hear you're not feeling better...
I'm supposed to make relish, but haven't had a chance. I feel OVERWHELMED this last week of summer, like I'm on a ride that won't stop. I can't remember the last time I sat on my porch and read a book. :(

And my kids are lazy. :(

Pop in later....

Lois

mauvaisroux
08-29-2002, 07:35 AM
Morning everyone!:wave:

Just thought I would post this morning as I may not be able to tonight. We are going to a Japanese restaurant tonight for a friend's birthday party. Another obstacle to my WOE for the week:lol: I can't win, everytime I am getting back OP something turns up that thwarts my good intentions....
hope you all have a good day today:)

Lamorgan your kitchen sounds lovely and sunny:)

Wanttolosealot
08-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Good morning ladies,
Hi Den- My kids are 8 and 10 (going on 16).
Well, I had quite a night last night. I was asked to go to a friends house to help pick out brides maid dressess. Yeah!!! My idea of excitement! Anyway, I got there and knocked on the door and then walked in, to be greeted by five smiling faces yelling surprise, Happy Birthday! I was so surprised and beamed. No one has ever thrown me a surprise party before. It was great. I did not expect a thing because my BDay was on Teusday, but apparently they could not plan it for that night , so they had it last night, which worked great as I did not expect a thing. Homeade Chinese food,rye and coke and BDay cake,what more could a gilr ask for. And oh yes presents! It was very nice! Made my day.
Well, have to go jump in shower and get ready for work will chat later!Have a great day everyone!
Wanttolosealot

Ruthxxx
08-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Overwhelmed is a great word, Lamorgan. I would love to be underwhelmed for a while this morning! :lol:

My "zip" into town turned into a whole morning's outing yesterday. DH decided to come along and that always screws thing up. Aside from being a slow walker, he bought tons of canned goods because "it is time to stock up" and we also had to stop at the druugstore, Canadian Tire and Brew Bye You! Grrr! Had a late lunch which was interrupted by a huge crash as the shelf in the laundry/pantry closet fell down! Too many canned goods, I guess. (I told him to put them in the cellar!) By the time we got that mess cleared up, the afternoon was shot so this morning is my Suzy Homemaker Act before the fruit flies take over the kitchen.

So......onward with life in the sleepy little town of Delta. Hope I hear some good gossip today to liven things up! I get to work a charity Bingo in Brockville tomorrow which will be exciting - NOT!

christinagw@aol.com
08-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Good Morning gang! I have been MIA for awhile, but now I am committed & you won't be able to get rid of me again. I got all of the test results back. It is a cancerous tumor that will be taken out ASAP, but it is noninvasive, & only in the center of the tumor. The tumor is located in a lymph node, so that actually makes it easier, just take the whole node out, not fear of missing anything. So while it isn't the answer I was hoping for, of the "bad news options" this is the best case scenerio that I could have hoped for. No chemo, possibly not even radiation, won't know that though until it is out. I asked the Dr if it was possible that it was one of those horrible 20 pound tumors, that way I can weigh less when it is out. She laughed, & told me it is probably more likely 2 ounces at the very most. Well that will not help much at all on the scale!

OK now bear with me while I preach for just a moment! :soap: I was very lucky because this was found so early so number 1, please ladies do self exams every month, & for anyone that is at the age for mammograms, do it faithfully! OK number 2, I will not preach this, because I know that does not help, but will mention it to give everyone some little extra incentive. She told me that had I not lost some weight & still weighed over 180, I probably would not have found this myself & I had just been in for my DRs exam in APril & it was not found then. So it may have eneded up being a year till it was found, which she admits most likely would have been too late. Given the fact that it was growing int he lymph nodes, as soon as it spread out of the tumor, it would have carried to other areas. Ok so if you need a little extra push to keep you motivated maybe that will be it! OK I am done now & I promise not to do this again! :tape:

Ok my little ones started school Monday. Alli the Kindergartner loves it! Can't wait to get on that bus every morning! Zach in second grade gave me a scare though yesterday. DH gets home only about 5 minutes before he does to meet him. So I call at what should have been a time when he was home for about 20 minutes. DH says he isn't home yet, I ask if he checked with the neighbor to see if her daughter was home, or maybe the bus beat him there so he went over to their house. So he calls, Micaylyn is home...Zach is not yet. So they call the school, no nothing wrong with the bus, & Zach did get on. OK panic is setting in. I tell him to go outside & see if he sees his backpack laying in the yard or any sign that he was there & call me right back! OK phone rings 2 minutes later, it is the school, Zach feel asleep on the bus & the driver did not realize it till she dropped off the last kid who told her he was still on, so they are on the way back. I of course was instantly relieved, & then could laugh a bit. When I got home, poor little guy was very embarrassed, so we didn't say much about it, but I am sure when he is 16 we will relish telling the story over & over!

Well I need to get started on some work here! Take care everyone! And I will be back soon!

christinagw@aol.com
08-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Ellis, I was going to post for you on Nurturing, but it's gone! So here I am again! Take care & I hope that you are feeling better soon! Let us know if there is anything we can do, besides sending you good wishes, thoughts, prayers & hugs!

mauvaisroux
08-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Ummmm:o I started a new thread for our mother henning today.

Lamorgan
08-29-2002, 11:45 AM
You guys ever hear that you shouldn't use anti-persperent if you shave your underarms?? You should use deoderant, because there is some link to the stuff getting direct access to your lymph glands...

Out the the entire wall of main stream deorderant/anti-persperant in the store, only 1 brand is deoderant only...

I feel less overwhelmed and am quickly counting my blessings, sending both Christina and ellis good healing energy.

:)

Lois

Lamorgan
08-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Oh! And sending Flower some good moving energy! (So glad it's not me)!

L

Punkinseed
08-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Happy Friday-eve!

Terrigrrrl - Yes, the sunrise clock can be used for SAD (also jetlag and shift work, etc.). Last year was a particulary bad winter here and I started to think I was honestly going mad. I was either crying, just finished crying or was about to cry - add to that the fact that I started having wildly violent daydreams... well, I was about to commit myself before I hurt someone or myself. So, I'm going to try the clock first, if that doesn't work then I'll have to either try a light box or meds. A light box is different in that they're much more expensive (around $200-400) and that you just sit in front of them. The sunrise close simulates a sunrise to wake you up instead of an alarm and can simulate a sunset when it's time to sleep. I'm up at 5am and usually head to bed around 8:30'ish I think it's a good place to start.
Ok, Mt. Hood. How you get there is go to my house and look north - there it is!!!! No, seriously, from my house I can see Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, the Three Sisters, Broken Top, Mt. Washington, Mt. Bachelor and Three Fingered Jack. Wanna come n' ski??

Lamorgan - Yea I've heard of it - the deoderant/breast cancer thing is an urban legend. There's no medical proof that use of one causes the other. Although, it seems like everything causes cancer nowadays... :rolleyes:

Chris - Thank you for the preaching... there are times I for one need to hear of a solid reason WHY we're doing this whole weight loss thing other than just to fit into a certain pair of pants.
I had a similar "preach" regarding skin cancer. I'm a fair skinned, freckled red head and I avoided the dermatologist like the plague while I was really heavy. When I got to goal years ago I finally went in and ended up having 3 moles removed - *thankfully* they were all ok, but I also had 2 pre-cancerous lesions frozen off my hand and lip. Had I not gone because of my weight I shudder to think how it would've turned out. Thank you for the reminder!

Had my cholesterol test done this morning. 10 years ago it was 123, what they called genetically low - so after loosing weight, gaining weight and loosing some again it'll be interesting to see what they say...

Terri :moo:

Ruthxxx
08-29-2002, 02:20 PM
well, yesterday my pantry shelf fell down #1 and today .....

#2. I put a very hot tray on my kitchen counter and realized I had burned a hole in the surface. It had been put on a hot burner by mistake!

#3. This afternoon as I poured hot salsa into jars, the jars (3) shattered into crackles. The oven knob was on the wrong way (Grr and selective cursing was heard by close neighbours) and the hot jars were very very hot.

So that's it. I am going to go to bed for a nap now!

There have been two deaths in the Village this week so I'll rest up for the third one.

Anybody else find stuff comes in threes?

ellis
08-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Ruth, you're killin' me. :lol: I'm sorry. snicker. You are just friggin' killing me.
Only because it all sounds so very familiar. When stuff like that happens, I just want to light a match to the house and start afresh.
You might have to kill the third person yourself, thus ensuring that the third person isn't YOU.
Hope the rest of the day goes better for you, sweetie...
xo

mauvaisroux
08-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Ummmm, Ruth maybe I should be calling you Suzy Home Wrecker instead:lol:

Ruthxxx
08-29-2002, 05:58 PM
Actually, I did say to Harry "I'm gonna kill myself right after I finish processing these jars!" but I changed my mind because I might miss something.

ellis
08-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Oh! Hello darlings. (disoriented)

Den, congrats on the new car! What did you buy?
Yup, we've got to exercise, girl... the kids are starting school next Tuesday, and I'm joining the Y on Thursday.
I feel ill. I just ate a large bag of Doritos and a bag of bridge mixture. And then fell asleep. While reading one of my old children's books. An Enid Blyton. Famous Five. When I woke up, it was to the taste of reflux (if you know what I mean) and the smell of hot tar. Some ding dong neighbour is getting their roof tarred. BLAH!!! My entire house REEKS of it!!
My darling DH has just come home from work and has taken the kids to see a baseball game to give me some blessed time ALONE!! (I think he's afraid I'm going to become a mass murderer)
Love you too!!

Terri, I'm really sorry that you have a hard time with depression too. I hope that the clock works for you. I'm surprised you didn't kill those guys that sent you an empty box. :rolleyes:
How was the cholesterol count?

Lois, thanks for the good healing energy. :) I think I can feel it coming...
Oh geepers... you just reminded me that our health cards expired last winter... must go and get them renewed...

Christina, I'm so glad that you're positive about your light little lump. The worrying is really the worst, isn't it? Everything is going to be fine, and your life is going to be better than ever.
And yes, thank you indeed for the preaching! We need it, and we're very grateful!
Your poor little Zach! You must have been scared out of your wits!
Thanks for the prayers and hugs, sweetie! :)

Happy Birthday Wanttolosealot!!!
:hat: :gift: :flow2: :flow1: :hb:
What lovely friends you have!

Mauvais, have fun at the restaurant! Don't eat too much you skinny babe, you. ;)

Ruth, have fun at the Bingo. :lol:

Hi everyone else... love and hugs...

Punkinseed
08-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi there, it's Terri, the human pin cushion!!

I got my depo shot this morning then my blood drawn for my cholesterol... I've been hungry and headachy all day from going 13 hours without food! Grrrrr..... BUT I did NOT get the donuts I'd 1/2 planned! I ate my Pria bar and banana with my bottle of water on the way back to work - bravo, take a bow... :cp:
I should get the results back next week.

I got my sunrise clock today! And it was actually *in* the box!!! WoooHoooo!!! :rolleyes: First thing I did was plug it in and put it through it's demo mode - works beeeeautifully! Can't wait to awaken to light tomarrow instead of being jarred awake by my alarm!
Ellis - I was about to reach through the phone and choke the guy. I almost said "ya know, these are sold to KEEP people from being sad, depressed and violent - are you tryin' to set me off bucko?!" Thankfully, I bit my tongue and waited for box #2 WITH product this time, thankyouverymuch!
Are you another sufferer? I've never had the pleasure of talking with another admitted sufferer of depression. Almost everyone close to me looks at me strange when I've said I've been treated for depression - they look at your life like you've got nothing to be depressed about - totally clueless that that's got *nothing* to do with it...

Dent - Whatcha' get?? I get shotgun!!

Ruth - Maybe it's best that you just go sit down and not touch anything for awhile... wait for whatEVER it is to pass!

Wanttoloose - Wow!!! What awsome friends! Happy birthday to youuuuu....:hat:

Almost time to go home - I'll report back about how my first faux sunrise morning goes tomarrow!

Terri
(I'm staaaarving!)

christinagw@aol.com
08-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi Ladies!

Ruth, if things come in 3's I will not be letting DH near me ever again! (we have 2 kids:lol: :lol: ) Get home from work after yet another frantic day! Find DH & DS screaming at each other! I give DD a hug & think I came home for this! OK I ask what the problem is. Seems DS did not put soccer stuff as he is told after every practice & he can not find his 1 shin guard. So they are ripping the room apart, 10 minutes later it is time to leave. DH says he can't go, he has to stay home & get his room in order. DS is crying! Soccer is his life right now. Oh well I am staying out of this. Go in DS's room 5 minutes later to tell him to get homework done...hmm right there in the middle of the floor in plain site is both shin guards! So now I am the bad Mom because I refuse to run him to practice now! I think if we had 3, someone here would have to die! If you have any Salsa though that isn't in a broken jar, send it my way! I LOVE salsa!

PSeed, you clock sounds wonderful! I hate that jarring awake from the alarm! I will admit, I have never actually been treated, but am convinced I suffer, mildly, from the seasonal thing! It isn't so bad now that I recognize it & can do things to make it better, but for 3 years every fall I would get very weepy, depressed & felt like nothing in my life was right & that I just wanted to run from everyone & everything! Suddenly one year as I am crying to a girlfriend & can't tell her why, I just blurt out I am like this every fall, maybe it is just because of my birthday & turning another year older. Then I realized it is always around the time we turn the clocks back! It is very mild, but now I know that I have to make a point of going out at lunch to get some sunlight & I do keep brighter light bulbs in the lights now. I know how bad I feel when I just want to cry in bed all day & it lasts a very short time, I can't imagine how hard it would be to feel that way for weeks even months at a time!

The waiting to hear was by far the worst part. What you imagine is always worst than the reality! Actually now I don't know how to tell anyone. I know that I have to tell my Dad, but I don't know how. I know that he will worry. RIght now he only has my step mother & me left, all his other family has passed on. That is a very frightening thought to me! I am an only child, so when my Father passes, all that I will have is my husband & kids. So knowing how alone that will make me feel, I don't want him to feel that way. Anyway, I have to be positive about it all, I think that may be half the battle, if I let it get me down, it wins! THe other part that bothers me more than anything is the fear that I have passed this on to my daughter! I know that is so irrational, she is only 6 & it isn't something that I can help, but I look at her & just want to tell her I am sorry that she may have to go through all of this too! Then I think that she is too young to have this frighten her to keep her checking & proactive in her exams, so I have to start drilling it into her at puberty! They do a huge "race for the cure" here every spring. Particpants get colored tshirts symboloizing if they are running as a survivor, future survivor, in honor of someone, or memory of someone. It is a 5K fun race, I am doing it this year with my friends partner that is in her 2nd year since she started treatment. Hopefully doing those sort of things will get Alli educated as she grows up so it will be second nature for her!

Well I need to get to bed. It has been a long 2 weeks with little sleep & it is cathching up with me! We are going camping htis weekend, hopefully I can catch up some & relax for the 3 days!

Take care to everyone I missed & especially to those needing a little extra love right now!

dentrassi
08-29-2002, 11:00 PM
HI TO EVERYONE!!

Well, we went out and bought a Hyundai Elantra. We went to test drive an Accent, and wound up getting the Elantra for about the price of the Accent!! I couldn't believe it!! THAT is why we went ahead. We weren't planning on buying until DH started getting checks again, so things will now be even tighter, but it is all pretty exciting. There is more crap on this car than I have EVER had!! DH is even happier than I am, since he no longer has to drive the '86 Corolla which is constantly breaking down!!

Christina-I am really sorry that the tumor is cancerous. Having said that, it sounds like under the circumstances it could have been a LOT worse!! You are right about attitude, and your good attitude is going to help you get through this. Let us know when you need some support!! :goodvibes :chockiss: :grouphug:

Punkin-I'm another one!! Been taking meds for depression for about 6 years, and should have gone in before that!! Knowing tht you aren't alone really does help. I know what you mean about strange looks, I used to get that too!! I used to say, "I love my life, it's just myself I hate!" Now I like myself too....although I'd sure like to have less of me to love!!!:lol:

Ellis-DO IT!! Sign up as soon as you can, I know it will help you feel better. I loved it when I took Karate. Wish I hadn't stopped!! Sometimes the young guys would sneer at me...until we started sparring!! After that they were always VERY respectful!! Remember, anyone who would treat you rudely has more work to do than can be done at a gym!!

Ruth-Sorry about the disasters!! Reminds me of the time I made homemade pasta (I was in high school) and had it drying on the dining room table. The dog ate ALL of it!! Talk about frustrating! Have a wee dram of scotch and relax a while..........

Lamorgan-I don't shave because i get ingrown hairs...OUCH!! Also, I just use deoderant now because my pores get clogged when I use anti-perspirant. I guess my pits are "delicate" even if the rest of me isn't!!

Wanttolosealot-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!:hb: :gift: :hat: :dance: HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD ONE!!! The party sounds like it was a lot of fun!!

Mauvaisroux-HAVE FUN TONIGHT!! We need chopstick smilies!!!

squeaker
08-30-2002, 08:12 AM
Den - My baby, Gordie, is a Hyundai Elantra. I got him in November, brand new, and I love him! They are great little cars. What color?

Christina - Have a fun, relaxing camping trip - you need it! :)

Teri - How was the wake up this morning? A clock that just wakes you up by light would never work for me, I would just pull the covers over my head and go right back to sleep. When I was in college my favorite nap time was about 5pm during the spring when the warm sun was on my bed. hmm.... a nap sounds wonderful..... ;)

Ellis - I hope you had a wonderful night alone! Sending you happy vibes :goodvibes:

Ruthxxx - Hopefully today will be a much better day! But I like Ellis's ide a- just burn the house down and start over. :lol:

Good luck for the new school year all of you chicks with kiddos!

:mouse:squeak

Ruthxxx
08-30-2002, 08:27 AM
A quickie post.
Banking and laundry and working on dog fur on the agenda. I am NOT doing any more preserving for a while. :D
Gorgeous day! May hack away at more weeds.
Have a great long weekend, Girlies.

soozie
08-30-2002, 09:49 AM
Gotta go to work today...work? what is work?? I kinda forgot what that was??? However, then I have a three, count 'em, three day weekend. Nice way to come back from vacation!!! Talk to you later loves.
Soozie.
ps. Jumped in the scale today, only up .5 lbs. So, guess that means I'll have to eat more today...just a sick joke girls...see ya later!

Wanttolosealot
08-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Good morning chickies,
It is a beautiful morning here in good old N.S.
The birds are singing, my dogs are outside and not under my feet, and the kids are at my moms until tomorrow. Yeah! Peace and quiet. That is until I go into work where there will be many screaming kids. I work at a daycare center so there are times I just would like to change professions. Oh well, most of the time they are little sweeties.:devil:
First of all Chris, it is nice to see you have such a positive attitude about everything. You will be just fine and like everyone else I too am sending good vibes, many prayers and big hugs your way.:grouphug: Have a good time camping too! Relax! P.S. You have encouraged me to go to my doc for acheck up. I have an appointment for Wednesday to have a complete check-up. She usually does not do mamograms until 40, but I am going to mention it to her anyway. Thanks for caring enough to preach!
I do not believe I suffer from depression, but I do know there are times when all I seem to do is cry and feel sorry for myself. But I get over it! I do know people who deal with it on a daily basis and can not imagine what you are goin through ladies, but I will tell you this, if you need someone to vent to I am here. PM me or whatever.
Den- Congratulations on purchasing your Elantra. They are a very nice car. Crusin around in still!:cool:
Ruth- Sounds like you have just had a really rough week. Hope you did manage to save some salsa! On the positive side of things, TGIF. Friday, yeah it is here! Would be better if it was 5:30 but at least it is Friday!
Soozie- Where are you? Are you still at the beach! Don't blame you I would be too if I didn' thave to work. We missed you this week!
Thank you to everyone for the warm Birthday wishes! Another friend took me out for Chinese last night for my Birthday. I have the greatest friends and am no longer upset about getting closer to 40, as the saying goes, I am not only getting older but better.
Have a fantastic weekend everyone! Hugs and happy thgoughts to all!
Virginia

flower
08-30-2002, 10:15 AM
I love my elantra wagon too. Mine is a 2000 model. Chris-good peaceful vibes to you. Ruth-hope hope your bad luck goes away to bug someone else. But please not me! I couldn't handle it right now! Well, my internet break is over. I must get the house 95% done today. I want to tackle the shed tomorrow, the yard on Sunday and then clean starting Monday. There are not enough hours in the day. My old boss is taking me to lunch today. I guess you'll hear from me on the piggy page tomorrow. :) ~flower

Punkinseed
08-30-2002, 11:18 AM
:cb: Friday, Friday, Friiiiiiday!!! :cb:

Monday I'll be an amoeba on the couch, Saturday and Sunday I've got fun stuff to do... Loooove 3 day weekends!! I hope you all have wonderful plans and fun stuff to do too!

Chris - I don't think I said anything yet and haven't been to the "Nuts" thread - I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I agree with everyone though that it sounds like it could've been worse and thank God they didn't wait! Your attitude is impressive - you may loose it now and then, that's to be expected, but you're being amazingly strong for those around you.
My Mom and I have walked in the Sara Fisher Foundation breast cancer walk for 2 years now. We lost a friend about 7 years ago and walk in her honor. She knew she had a lump, didn't do anything for almost 8 months because she didn't have insurance, then when she finally did go in it was too late - she taught us all a valuable lesson about waiting. I'm so glad you didn't.

Aaaah, the sunrise clock.... I set it to give me a sunset last night and by the time it was almost dark I was truely sleepy! I had only one problem. Not being sure how much light it would take to wake me up I set it to reach full light at the time I'd *like* to wake up - I woke up almost 25 minutes before that. It doesn't take much light to wake me up apparently. So, I reset it so that it starts to light about 10 minutes before I want to wake up (then continuing to brighten for another 20 min. It was wonderful though, waking up to a warmly lit room, slowly growing lighter... I could just lay there and open my eyes slowly and not feel that adrenaline rush when the radio blares on at 5am. Best $95 investment I've made so far - let's hope it does something for the winter depression now!

Have an awsome weekend everyone!

Terri

Sojourner
08-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Hmmmm... this sunrise clock sounds interesting. I am a night owl by nature and also have dealt with depression most of my teen and adult life. The mornings are horrible for me... I'm a zombie. Maybe this is something that would work? Could you post a link or let me know where to check into this? Thanks! :flow2:

Punkinseed
08-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi Sojourner! I don't think I've welcomed you to our wild group yet! Welcome!!! :wave:

You bet, the least expensive place I've found this clock is at www.take-care.com (in the Personal Care section). With shipping it was $100.50. I've seen them as expensive as $125. It's a nice size, and the dome that you'll see in the picture is frosted glass (no plastic!)

This morning I woke up easily, no headache and it may be just because it's Friday, but my mood is peachy! Time will tell...

Terri

mauvaisroux
08-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey Chickies!

Hope you all had a good day today...:cb: It's Friday:cb:

Dentrassi-congrats on the new car:D I was flipping through a catalogue today and there was a picture of a scrollwork vine spice rack holder and lo and behold prominently displayed was a jar of Marmite:lol: you marmite eaters are sending the rest of us subliminal messages:hypno2: I am on to you!

Ruthxxx-hope you are having a better day today:) you too Ellis!

Wantolosealot-glad you had a great birthday and are feeling better about turning 40!

Gotta run and eat dinner it's already 8 pm here :yikes:

soozie
08-30-2002, 08:15 PM
Wantstolosealot,
Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Love, Soozie
:hb: :hat: :hb: :hat:

dentrassi
08-30-2002, 09:28 PM
HI EVERYONE!! Glad to hear that those of you with Elantras like them!! Hope I still like mine in a few years!! Nothing more nerve wracking than spending money you don't have!!

Squeak-Ours is midnight gray (darkish gray with purple undertones. We took what they had, but I like purple, so I'm happy!!) How did you decide to name your car Gordie? What color is yours?

Flower-I don't envy you having to pack up to move!! Still sending good moving vibes your way!!

Ruth-Glad to hear you didn't do anything involving heat or heavy lifyimg today!!

Soozie-Glad you had such a good time!!

Wantstolosealot-Turning 40 is actually pretty nice once you get used to the idea!! I am 44 now, and I feel like I have really been coming into my own since turning 40!! I am less inclined to allow others to mistreat me, and I am more self accepting now.

Punkin-The clock sounds great, but I'm not sure it would work for me either!! I used to break alarm clocks in my haste to turn them off. I'd hit them so hard they would break!! Usually DH wakes me up. I think the BEST thing would be for him to set up an IV and feed me coffee intravenously while I am still asleep!!!

Sojourner-WELCOME!!!

Ellis-Come post!! The worst thing you can do when you're feeling bad is to isolate yourself. :love:

Mauvais- I have no idea what you are talking about... :hypno: marmite....yum...:hypno2:it tastes great.......yum :hypno: I would NEVER try to manipulate someones tastes or expenditures..... :hypno:mar :cloud9:mite :hypno:

Wanttolosealot
08-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi girls
Just to clear things up. I did not turn 40 I turnes 36 but was feeling anxiety about being closer to 40. I am however, okay with it now. Had such a great week, an realized I have so many great friends, what do I have to be depressed about. Anyway, Thie chick is off to bed. Y'all have a great night and a wonderful long weekend. Take care all!
Virginia

Wildfire
08-31-2002, 11:55 AM
This is too weird. Den, Squeaker, and Flower....I drive a 2000 Elantra! Mine is a four-door, grey interior, and "Mystic Teal" outside. It looks navy, but when the sun hits it, there's a hint of teal. I've had it since June 2000, and I've had not one problem with it. *knock on wood* I really, really like it. All the options you could imagine....power windows/door locks /mirrors /overdrive/air conditioning, etc, etc. I have about 29,000 km (roughly 18,000 miles) on it and it's only ever needed an oil change. It will be paid off for an entire year before the warranty expires, too! (5 year/100,000km bumper-to-bumper warranty) I hope you like your new Elantra, Den!

Having a REALLY hard time getting going this morning. *sigh* Why can't people (read: DD and DH) just leave me the h*ll alone? I've been working 12 hour days....I want a lazy morning...is that SO freakin' wrong?

flower
08-31-2002, 06:20 PM
Mine (2000 elantra) is mystic teal too. 4 doors, gray interior but the wagon version. Very spooky! My window track had to be replaced, and a new battery but I love it!

Lamorgan
08-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Well, I turn 40 on Sept 15th and actually don't feel any anxiety at all... I feel much better about 40 than I did 30 or 35. I think life is spinning much less out of control than it was then or something.

Happy birthday Virginia...

I have no car. I don't even drive! But I think that will happen this year.

Then we'll have to buy a (used) car large enough for a family of 6. No mini-van though.

Two full days off, no newspapers to deliver and no library to work in. Only time to sleep in.

(Laundry to do, school-supply shopping to do, kids to organize...)

So maybe not the complete break I wish for!

Have a wonderful long weekend!

Oh! My co-worker, another Lois might give/sell us her piano!!!!!! Crossing my fingers!

Lois

squeaker
08-31-2002, 09:51 PM
Gordie is white with tan interior. It was the only one left, which is the only reason I ended up with white.

Gordie is Gordie because the guy who sold me the car kinda looked like Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip. I was going to name it after who I bought it from (like we did with my old roommate's car - Freddy) but I didn't want to name it Mike. I have too many friends named Mike. I had thought about naming him Bono, but changed my mind. :)

dentrassi
09-01-2002, 11:19 AM
WOW!! SPOOKY!! 4 Elantra drivers!!

Squeak-That means I'd have to name mine Keith, WHICH I"M NOT DOING!! (That is the name of a fair weather friend of my son.) Too bad its not red, then I could name it the menstrual mobile. Usually i just call my cars "baby". As in, "come on baby, you can make it a few more blocks/months/up this hill!!" It will be nice for us to have 2 reliable cars for once!!!!

Lamorgan-Hope you get that piano!!

Wildfire, Flower-Love that "two tone" effect. Mine is dark gray or plum depending on the light!!

Wanttolosealot-I understood that. Just wanted to let you know that the "anticipation" is MUCH worse than the actual 40th birthday!!!

Ellis-:love: :cb: :cb: (dancing bananas....do you ever feel like that?)

ellis
09-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Den, are you happy? :cb:
Am I going to have to buy an Elantra just to keep up with the chubby Jones?

hey! There's a jar of marmite at the top of this page! Well, there WAS.

dentrassi
09-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Ellis-That's the thing about Marmite. If you don't snag it quickly someone else always gets to it first!! It would be funny if we ALL started driving Elantras, wouldn't it? The seat is super adjustable, which means that I can drive sitting a little further back than in most cars. Did you know that it is usually shorties that die when air bags go off? This car should be safer for me, since I was practically eating the steering wheel in the other car!!

I think I am actually doing pretty well today!! Despite a bad night's sleep, and Meggie jumping on my stomach and nipping my arm trying to wake me up this morning!! We are going over to my parents' house later. I think it'll be good to get out of here for a while!!

Ruthxxx
09-01-2002, 03:14 PM
To **** with all getting Elantras! We should all start eating that damned Marmite!

Sure is a Labour Day around here - have done two batches of preserves, cleaned the pantry shelves and put the stuff back in, done three loads of laundry and am now going for a nap!

Dog haircut Phase2 is scheduled for later this afternoon!

katrinabgood
09-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey chicks, I'm home...lots of reading to do to catch up...back later!

Sojourner
09-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Hey dentrassi... I'm short too... just barely 5'1". :dz: I mean... being this short is just plain wrong. Being overweight makes it difficult enough finding clothes that fit let alone having to struggle with being short.... errrr....."petite". I want to start a clothing store called "Short and Fat" or maybe "Stubby and Chubby"!! HAHAHAHA!!

soozie
09-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey Kat, welcome back.
Hope everyone had a good weekend. Going to go weigh-in. Ugh!!!
We're supposed to have a Labor Day parade today and a country fair. Very wet everywhere but maybe they'll still proceed...it rained all day yesterday and most of last night. The fair grounds will be very sqooshy. Gotta go find my galoshes.
Love, Soozie

Wildfire
09-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Is anyone else having problems with this site loading in the last few days? It seems okay right now, but all weekend I'd get frustrated waiting for a page to load and end up shutting it down. It's only this site I'm having a problem with.

So, here I am at 8:22am with an ice pack on my chipmunk cheek. Leave it to me to get an infection over a long weekend when my dentist is out of town!

Welcome back, katrina!

Gotta go, can't hold the ice pack to my face and type at the same time. :no:

Wanttolosealot
09-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Oh Wildfire,
I can almost feel your pain. I know what it is like to suffer with a toothache. It is impossible to find a dentist on a long weekend. Make sure you get in first thing in the morning. My friend had to make an emergency trip over to New Brunswick on Friday just to find a dentist open who could pull her tooth, before the long weekend set in. Hang in there! Have you tried cloves, an old remedy of my mother's but it used to work! Kinda numbs the pain a bit.
Take care!
Virginia

ellis
09-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Oh Wildfire... I can feel your pain, too. You poor girl...
No, not having problems with the site. Must be your server?
I was going to say that perhaps it's because there are a lot of fat people in your area, but I forgot that you live in the same province as me! :lol:

Hope the pain goes away soon, sweetie...

ellis
09-02-2002, 10:12 AM
HEY! There's that jar of marmite again!
http://www.expatshopping.com/?AID=6272881&PID=1178791

I'm going to see if I can find anything else familiar and disgusting from my childhood. Like liver and onions.

ellis
09-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Oh, listen... have any of you had treacle tart? My mom used to make it. I wonder if I can charm her into making one soon...

barefootgrrrl
09-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Hey everybody........finally getting a chance to check in. Am I the only one who doesn't know what Marmite is? I'm guessing it's somehow related to Vegemite and comes from Down Under??

Christina - You've been on my mind the past few days. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. I bow to your positive spirit (HUG!)

Wildfire - I've been in the same place with a bad tooth infection. I called my dentist on his cell phone while he was on his *yacht* one weekend to have him call me in a prescription. :cry: Infections can spread quickly - so most dentists do have emergency #s and can call in something to get you some relief

PunkinTerri - hey! glad to hear the sunshine clock seems to be doing it's job :) I will mention this to my friend who probably could use one ( heck, I think I may check into it too - sounds good!) So you do live close to Mt. Hood - thanks for the skiing invite! I love to ski.....I may have to take you up on that. Wasn't "The Shining" filmed near there??

Virginia - Happy Belated Birthday!
:dancer:

Ellis - treacle? the only time I ever heard of treacle was from the "Two Fat Ladies" Cooking Show....... is it a like a British food?

I know, I know, I'm just a rube American.

and.........hello to anyone I've missed ( this reminds me of Romper Room LOL)

It's been a rainy weekend here in Virginia too. It's given us a chance to get caught up on things.

For me, since I've been low carbing in earnest since the beginning of August, I've been trying to re-teach myself how to cook. I finally bought a food processor yesterday and made some homemade coleslaw - very yummy. Today I am trying a recipe for "veggie and cheese terrine". I can never cook during the week, so I try to cook on the weekends so that we have something to nosh on all week long......

I didn't believe it when I learned that garlic has carbs.......well, I roasted some for the first time ever and imagine my surprise when I noticed the caramel on the top when I took it out of the oven!

My daughter starts middle school tomorrow - we are all very excited....... she has tried on several outfits, trying to settle on just the right one. Remember those days?? She just finished reading "Anne of Green Gables" for her first assignment which is due the first week of school. Can someone tell me why the Japanese flock to PEI for A of GG memorabilia?

I think I will be glad to have the hubster head back to work....... it is true that Men are from Mars......I have the proof and I'm trying to decipher the language of his people
:doh:

Take care all! Peace - barefoot terrigrrrl

Wildfire
09-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the sympathy, girls. I'm about ready to rip all the teeth in my lower left jaw out with a pair of pliers. The penicillin doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I've taken enough Advil to kill a horse. Even the ice pack isn't helping. It just hurts more when I take it off, as the numbness wears off. The odds of me getting in to see a dentist tomorrow are slim, and thats IF they'll let me leave work. Geez, those nerves are just on fire in there!

One good thing...at least I'm not eating! :D I can eat, and will have my three sensible meals, but holding an ice pack to one's face or rubbing your gums tends to reduce the amount of munching you can do!

Somehow I have to hem DD's school kilt today, too. Now I know why they used to tie your head up so you looked like you had rabbit ears when you had a toothache. It must have been holding an ice pack!

dentrassi
09-02-2002, 07:11 PM
HAPPY LABOR DAY!!!

Wildfire-Sorry to hear about the infection....YUCK!! That sounds vsry painful. I hope you can see someone soon. If your work gives you a hard tome, just sit there moaning loudly until they ASK you to go!!!

Kat-WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Barefoot-Marmite is produced in a few countries, but it is basically English. It is a yeast extract, and most people either LOVE IT or HATE IT!!!! A couple of us have British parent(s) on this thread, so we occassionally talk about related stuff. I LOVE MARMITE, and lots of people don't, so I sometimes start talking about MARMITE just to remind RUTH of that scottish boyfriend who used to eat a spoonful of MARMITE and then kiss her!!

Ellis-I've had treacle candy, but not treacle tart. SOUNDS GOOD!!! I checked out the EXPAT site too. they have very expensive marmite, and they have black currant candies and beverages. That is something I can't find here that i LOVE. I mean buy a bag of cheap suckers there and one of the flavors is black currant, but here it is almost impossible to find. (My Grannie sends candy back "for the kids")

Sojourner-YUP!! It is a pain finding clothes to fit. I was telling Ellis the other day that I feel like a garden gnome, except for the beard!!!

Soozie-Did you have fun stomping through the puddles at the fair?

Ruth-WOW!! You are getting a lot done!!

ellis
09-02-2002, 08:53 PM
It's weird... I could have sworn I posted here earlier....

Treacle tart... yes Terrigrrrl, it's a British thing.
http://www.restaurants.co.uk/htmlpages/sub_sections/recipes/recipes-british5.htm
And I'm not surprised that the two fat ladies used it. :lol:
I LOVED that show!! They were so cool!
Hey, if the recipe for veggie terrine turns out (well), could you please post the recipe? Thanks! :)
I hope that your daughter LOVES middle school! My daughter is starting grade 8 tomorrow. New school, but she's feeling quite positive about it.

Wildfire, you're in such terrible pain! Isn't there an emergency clinic you could drive to tomorrow? Geez, if any of us were closer, WE'D drive you! Take care, sweetie... hope you're better soon.

Den, you ARE a garden gnome!! :lol: That reminds me... I must get my tweezers back from my daughter...
Den, are you still the shortest one here? How tall are your parents? Don't tell me you're going to be shrinking as you get older!!?? My gosh, you'll be down to about 4'-6" by the time you're 80!
Hey, remember those hard-boiled candies? Different colours, stripes, etc? Even THOSE were good!! Are you sure you never had the nougat kind?

Happy Labour Day to YOU, too! By the way, that's labor with a U!!

later darlings...

mauvaisroux
09-02-2002, 09:09 PM
Evening everyone:wave:

Phew! What a load of posts to read through!

Treacle is delicious, I love treacle toffees. I guess the North American equivalent would be blackstrap molasses. You can bake with it too. My mum used to make treacle scones. Treacle tart is yummy too...okay I have to stop talking about these things, they are bringing back childhood memories and making me hungry:lol:

Den-you can buy marmite at some grocery stores here. I love blackcurrant jam on pancakes!:T

Ellis and Barefoot girrrl- hope your daughters have a good first day tomorrow starting at a new school can be very exciting!

Hope you all had a good long weekend!

Sojourner
09-02-2002, 11:05 PM
Oh my... I thought you said "treacle fart"... seriously.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

soozie
09-02-2002, 11:48 PM
Sojo...that is too funny.
Terri, I've never had treacle but have heard of it.
I'd never heard of Marmite either but checked out the web site that Den posted and then went to some links from there to do some research.
It sounds appallingly disgusting to me but it is food so I guess I'd try it.

The fair was fun. The kids loved it. I worked on the silent auction...went around begging merchants to give us stuff. That was fun. And then wrapped everything in gift baskets for the auction table. Had a nice time. DD really enjoyed herself. Jumped in one of those moon bounce things for at least 40 minutes total!!! Wore herself out and is sleeping soundly now.

Can't wait till she starts kindergarten. Congrats to everyone who is sending their little ones off to school...and not so little ones.

Ellis, hope you're feeling better love!!!
I see that you're on line right now, so, I'll check back in later to see what you posted...good news I hope.
Christina you're in my prayers. Hope that you're keeping the positive energy flowing!!! and getting lots of support from your family and friends.
Wildfire, so sorry to hear about your tooth...hope its better soon!

Goodnight Lady-Os
Love, Soozie

Lamorgan
09-03-2002, 07:16 AM
Happy Day; 4 kids back to school this morning... Mat to Grade 10, Morgan to Grade 8, Foster to Grade 5 and Evan Grade 1. :) :)

Foster was up to midnight with insomnia last night, and then I had insomnia... Maybe I'll finally get to the giant mess on my dining room table that has been there since June. Papers, filing... Bletch.

Hey Wildfire, hope your mouth feels better soon!

Short women in my family too... Mom was just under 5', and 2 other sisters were around there too. My daughter is really short too. I'm a virtual giant at 5'5"! I'll be happy if Morgan gets to 5'2".

I had a boyfriend who loved Marmite too... And that chocolate stuff that has hazelnuts in it...

I'll pop back later after I've sent the brood off to school!!!

Ruthxxx
09-03-2002, 07:54 AM
Well, the Girls and I waited at the school bus stop to see the neighbour kidlets off to school! The Mums and Caregivers either cheered or brushed away a tear as the bus left. I tried to convince the driver that Lucy could go to school but she refused to take her!

I have a friend coming to stay for a few days later this month - my WI friend Linda. Having someone stay is much harder than just a dinner guest - she might look in my fridge or kitchen cupboards. Actually, Linda is a gem and will be working right along with me if I am STILL preserving.

Banking, laundry, phone calls and more dog clipping today. God, I'm boring!

Lamorgan
09-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Blessed quiet here. I can stay on the computer as long as I want, and nobody is lurking over my shoulder.

Lois

ellis
09-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Ruth... you're really boring. NOT!! Geez, all this talk of preserving almost makes me want to do some again. Almost.
Hey, what fun having your friend to stay! Did I mention how good those beans were? Let me mention it... THEY WERE DAMNED GOOD! Thank you, sweetie...

Lois, I hear ya! I'm ALONE! Life is good. Coffee, my computer, ... that's really all I need. And the phone is switched off. Anyone fool enough to call me today is NOT going to get me!!
Crap... did I just hear my husband pull in the driveway... I'll KILL HIM!!

PHEW! False alarm. What the heck is wrong with people anyhow? I've already had two phone messages this morning. Do they think I'm lonely? I WANT TO BE ALONE!!!

Soozie girl... how are YOU? Is your house back in order? How do "Aunt Edee's Lamps" look? xoxo

Mauvais, hope you have a better week! How's the job hunting going? hugs...

Okay, where is everyone else? Little Den, are you sleeping?

hugs and kisses to everyone...

dentrassi
09-03-2002, 11:01 AM
DH starts teaching with a vengeance today. He is teaching 4 classes at a local University, and 1 at a local Community College, and the University starts classes today. Send good job hunting vibes this way, cuz a full time position would mean fewer classes and more money!! (AND full benefits!!)

Ellis-YES I WAS SLEEPING!!! HOW'D YOU GUESS? (snicker) I was up until 3 am again, so I need to start the process up again (grr) About my height.......When my paternal grandmother died (101 1/2 yrs old), she only came up to my shoulder, and she CLAIMED to have been 5' 2" at her tallest. I find it VERY hard to believe, honestly, as she was known to embellish the truth at times! So if that is true AND I live a long life I will probably be 4' or LESS when I die. SEE! I AM a garden gnome!! I'm even starting to grow the beard!!!! Both my parents were around 5' 6" tall, so my Dad is short too.

Lamorgan-Isn't it wonderful? I wish I could take a week off just to bask in the silence!!! My 15 year old is nervous that he will be short. He is small for his age, but his Dad didn't get to his adult height (just over 6 ft) until 19 (he actually grew 1/2 inch after I met him!) We don't know WHO he is taking after!!! He is now taller than me, and his hands are starting to get BIG, so I think he has some significant growing left to do.

Ruth-How much preserving are you doing? We are eating tomatoes like crazy right now. Good thing we like them!! I'm too nervous to process anything but jam, and too lazy to even do that anymore!!!

Soozie-The ONLY person I know who wasn't raised on Marmite but still likes it is my Dad!! But then again he is a major foodie. I get my weight problem from him as well as my height. I started my kids on the stuff as early as possible in order to brainwa....er, I mean convince them of the magical qualities of the stuff. They both love it!! DH HATES it. Glad to hear the fair wasn't rained out!!

Mauvais-I can actually find marmite at a few stores here too, which is a MIRACLE, but it is so expensive that I wait for my Mom to bring it back when she goes to visit HER Mom. I LOVE Black Currant!!! ANYTHING!!

Sojourner-That's what happens if....NEVERMIND!!!!!

barefootgrrrl
09-03-2002, 11:19 AM
Oh Lois - do you mean Nutella??

That is too wonderful - I've found a sugar free version called Twist that I put on a lC cracker - and that is my dessert these days.

To think I used to have a cannoli each night! LOL

One of my stories ( did I mention I am an amateur storyteller? LOL) involves the first time I ever tasted Nutella.

In the so-so glamorous 80s, I lived like a poor churchmouse in NYC and had a friend who was a flight attendant for TWA. She worked the US-European routes, back in the day when there was a jet set LOL ( I used to think all of this was way cool.....) anyhow, she would bring treats back home for us to try - and once she brought a jar of Nutella back from Rome. We ate it on pancakes..... of course, then we would do 2 hours of aerobics to try to work it off.

Have a great day, thanks for the memory - Terrigrrrl - getting a kick out of all this and Marmite too! who knew? LOL

Punkinseed
09-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Hello all....

$%(&^@ grumble... back to #$%($%& work and it's only #$%& Tuesday....

Ok, I feel better.

As I posted in "Nuts" I'm woozy today, probably a sinus attack from ****... we found some non-drowsy allergy shtuff and I popped a few. I'll have to find some at the store today - I just went shoppin on Friday and went to buy some but the store where I was was one of them that keep them behind the counter so the crack dealers can't buy mass quantities... thanks jerks! :rolleyes:

Barefoot Terrrrrri - Nope, The Shining was filmed at The Stanley in Colorado (which is actually haunted too).
Not much to snow on out here right now. All our mountains are pretty much nekkid and anxiously awaiting snow to cover them up! There's actually a joke about Mt. Hood 'round here - if you can't see it, it's raining in Portland, if you can see it, it's about to rain in Portland (we high desert folk make fun of those webbed footed westerners).

S'all for now till I can see straight...

Terri

barefootgrrrl
09-04-2002, 07:59 AM
The veggie terrine turned out really good and great for using up stuff this time of year........

here's how you make it..........

2 small eggplants
2-3 small/med. zucchini
2 red peppers or jar of roasted peppers
one head of garlic
some chopped green olives (optional)
few basil leaves and some Italian spices
one cup of crumbled cheese - mozzarella, feta, parmesan, etc.

place peppers and garlic in pan and roast in the oven at 375 for approx. 30 min, remove and cool
slice eggplants and zucchini into long strips - place on baking sheet and brush with olive oil, place under the broiler for about 5 minutes at 375.

when all ingredients have cooled, layer eggplants in the bottom of a loaf pan, next add a layer of roasted pepper strips, followed by a layer of crumbled cheese and then a layer of zucchini - repeat this layering process until you reach the top of the pan. sprinkle basil leaves and spices throughout the layers as you assemble.

sprinkle chopped olives on top if you like. the very top layer should be a layer of eggplant. squeeze soft garlic out of garlic cloves and using a fork, mash into a paste, mixing in 1/2 tsp of Italian spices. spread this paste over the top of the eggplant, place a piece of plastic wrap over the entire pan and gently press down, compacting all ingredients.

place in the fridge for the flavors to marry. about a half hour before dinner, place the pan in the oven on low heat - bake for about 1/2 hour at 300 degrees.

Cut slices for dinner. top with homemade tomato sauce from the garden.

easiest tomato sauce ever - cut cores from garden tomatoes - toss them in the crockpot with olive oil, crushed garlic, basil, large can of tomato paste and spices to taste - cook on low overnight while you sleep. in the morning, turn the pot off - let it cool for awhile. Then scoop the mixture into your blender, blend just a minute until it has the consistency of tomato sauce - very easy and tastes so much better than bottled sauce.

hope you enjoy - terrigrrrl

Wanttolosealot
09-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Yeah,
The kids are off to school! Just had my morning coffee and want a cigarette so bad I can taste it.Mmmmmm taste so good! I am going nuts, but have not smoked yet. Tonight will be the real test, as a girl friend and I are going out to kareoke(sp) and I will want to smoke very bad. However, If I fail, I will not give up! I will keep trying till I get it right.

ellis
09-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Den, I LOVE tomatoes! I just stand in the garden and eat them. I kept forgetting to water them this year, so I'm not getting too many... :(

Terrigrrrl... Nutella! I've never tried it... I know it would be a fatal relationship, so I keep looking at it in the store and thinking, "That is DISGUSTINg!!" So far I've managed to convince myself. :lol: I just KNOW it's yummy, though.
Thank you for the recipe! It was so sweet of you to type it all out! I'm going to print it out and try it this week. It looks good!
Ummm, that serves what....? One person? ;)

Virginia, you don't have to smoke at Kareoke (sp) tonight. Just pick up some Popeye cigarettes and smoke THOSE! No one will notice, and really... all you need is something in your hand, right? I mean, a stick or a pencil would do, but a Popeye cigarette would just look that much more classy.

Hello everyone else.... come and talk to us...
xoxo

Punkinseed
09-04-2002, 04:44 PM
:yikes: AAAAAAAAAACK!!!! :yikes:

I just performed my first post-divorce act of complete boldness!!!!!!

Do you all remember my "phone friend" that I've been having the flirtation with???? I just hung up with him - he told me he was cranky from not eating and some "other stuff" and said he'd email me. I just got his email saying his divorce was final and that he just felt tired and worn out. For some reason this is intensely personal to me... and I responded like-wise - very personal - and it feels weird to be crossing this little client-contractor relationship line (we've danced all up and down said line though over the last few months or so). And I mean, I was verrrrrrry personal in my reply to him.

I haven't had this feeling in my stomach in YEARS - it's so unfortunate that he's literally 850'ish miles away... Even my Mom, who I work with, says she thinks he calls just to talk (she doesn't know about the phone calls I get from him just asking how my day is going).

I just had to share before I freakin' explode.

Crap, I feel like I'm 16 again...

Terri :hyper:

flower
09-04-2002, 05:53 PM
That indeed is a scary feeling Punkinseed...but isn't it wonderful to feel alive???

Wildfire
09-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Mmmm...Nutella....excellent on Ritz crackers...salty/sweet combo :T Oh..er...yep, totally disgusting, Ellis.

Punkin, you go girl! Don't let 850 miles stop you! My hubby was on the other side of the continent!

Wanttolose... :nono: :smoking: :nono: Keep your hands busy...a drink for each hand?

You know, I've never eaten eggplant. What's it taste like?

squeaker
09-04-2002, 07:15 PM
mmmmm....Nutella. It also tastes good on french bread. I am all for just eating it out of the jar. One day I was eating it out of the jar, ate a few spoonfuls, and put it down, figuring I was eating way too much of it. Told the boy "Ok don't let me eat any more". About 5 minutes later I went for the jar again, he tickled me until I gave it to him, then he held it over his head (He is a foot taller then me). I actually swore at him for listening to me! :lol:

But on the bright side - I actually did very good today - We celebrated 2 birthdays in the dept at work today and had muffins, bagels, & timbits from Tim Horton's, and then a cake. I actually turned down all of it. It was damn hard, but I just couldn't give in.

Terri - That is wonderful! Isn't it great and terrifying at the same time?? :) Also Sudfed Cold & Sinus (the stuff in the blue box) is a wonderful thing for sinus problems. I spent most of the weekend on it and it makes you feel really good. :cloud9: Kinda loopy and you can't quite think straight, but your head feels better.

Wanttolose - You better not be sneakin' a smoke!!!!! You can do it.

I HATE tomatoes. I don't even like pasta sauce. I just eat pasta with a little margarine & salt. Don't like pizza sauce too much either. I only eat Pizza Hut and even then I take most of the sauce off. I like making my own pizza instead - just enough sauce so the crust isn't dry.

How was all the first days of school? Hopefully everything went well.

:wave: to all!

barefootgrrrl
09-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Ellis - glad to hear that your daughter is doing well! In my opinion, these years - 12, 13, 14 - are precarious, especially for girls. Soooo totally cool that she has a guy friend to write with.....I remember those days......hey, how come my guy friends don't come over to write anymore??? could it be because of the hubster? LOL oh I am a fellow tomato lover - so if I think of any more recipes, I'll let you know....... oh PS - do you know where Albion Rd is in Ottawa? I have a friend who just moved there......

Punkin! I am soo excited for you - those butterflies are a sign of life!!!! :)

:dizzy: enjoy it....... (so happy for you!!) oh and my friend does want to order that sunshine clock.......couldn't find the link you posted......can you post it again? please? thanks!

Wildfire........ eggplant is hard to describe.......personally, I think it's an acquired taste - but that's not a bad thing LOL .......let me describe it....... very mild, soft, mushroomy (full of water that releases when it cooks......like mushrooms) it absorbs the flavor of what you cook it with -......since I can't eat pasta - it's sorta like pasta for me - I pour sauce on it...etc. it is best fried in olive oil and covered with tomato sauce and cheese LOL

Now I just wonder what Marmite tastes like! LOL

Ok Virginia - hang in there! have fun at kareoke.........wish I could go! I love doing that! especially after a few drinks!

sending my best all! Terrigrrrl

mauvaisroux
09-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi Chickies!:D

Punkinseed-you flirtychick you! That is so exciting! 850ish miles are nothing:) go for it!

Ellis-thanks for the hugs, I need them this week and it is only Wednesday:lol:

Flower- how did your move go?

Eggplant, I think anyway, tastes best grilled then it is not so watery.

mmmm, Nutella...I used to eat that all the time when I was a kid, haven't had it in years. Everytime I am in the Italian grocery store I am tempted to buy it but I am afraid it won't taste as good as my childhood memory of it or it will taste so good that I eat the whole jar in one go:ink: It was really good spread on banana:T

Virginia, we are all counting on you not to smoke:nono:, hee hee, no pressure there, no, none at all:devil:

Ruthxxx-I was burning some of that lovely incense that you got for Ellis and I, made me think of our fun day out:)

Hi Katrina! Glad to have you back!

Hey Soozie, Squeek, Wildfire, Barefootgrrl, Sojourner, Finoa, Christina and Sheila! My this does feel like romper room and looking through the glass:lol: hope I didn't miss anyone:o

Whoops! Hi to Kimmykat too and a big welcome to Suchaprettyface! I didn't forget you either Ginya! hmmm...and where is Dude these days, probably lost in a supermarket under a bundle of Bok choi.

ellis
09-04-2002, 10:32 PM
la di da... just bought two new pairs of running shoes. I'm joining the Y tomorrow, and my darling mother is coming with me. She's been going to the Y for YEARS, and she's going to show me around. She's 77, and she's a BABE! (AND in much better shape than me!)

Terri, I'm thrilled for you feeling that way. Ah, I remember those days... there's nothing like it, is there?! Enjoy it... and know that if it's right, that something will come of the relationship. Hang in there! Like the other girls said, 850 miles is NOTHIN', honey!

Squeak, that's exactly what I'm afraid of... eating Nutella out of the jar. I'm just that kind of gal... :rolleyes:
Good standing firm on the food!!

Wildfire, eggplant pretty much tastes like crap. Like Terrigrrrl said, it's an aquired taste. ACTUALLY, it's quite good if you... hang on, I'm going to post a recipe from my BIL...

THE RECIPE FOR THE SANDWICHES IS:
EGG PLANT, GREEN ONIONS, RED PEPPERS (ROASTED AND PEELED IF YOU
DON'T MIND THE HASSLE), AND PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS. YOU SAUTE THEM IN A FRY
PAN IN OLIVE OIL WITH WHAT EVER SPICES YOU LIKE. THE ITALIAN ONES SEEM TO GO BEST IE
OREGANO, BASIL MAJORAM. SERVE ON CRUSTY BREAD OR A CRUSTY ROLL WITH LOTS OF CREAM CHEESE AND THAT'S
IT.

Okay, so if you saute all that stuff, the eggplant actually tastes pretty damned wicked. I highly recommend that recipe. My BIL's cooking is to die for.

Oh yes, Terrigrrrl, I know very well where Albion Road is. :)
Yes, I love that my daughter has a male friend. People keep asking if he's her boyfriend, but they're just really good buddies.
I think it's very healthy. I also suspect that he's gay, which doesn't hurt the situation either. ;)
Listen, Marmite tastes like boot polish, but don't tell Dentrassi I said that... ;)

Mauvais, you obviously need more hugs to get you through the week.
HUGS AND KISSES FOR MAUVAIS!!
Hang in there, girl...
I've been burning MY incense, too! Thank you, Ruth!!

Hugs to everyone else...

Den, for goodness sakes... I KNOW you're awake at THIS time of night!!! xo

Sojourner
09-04-2002, 11:49 PM
My stupid !@#$^ keyboard broke Monday night and I have been out of touch on the internet!! Man, I am an addict. I almost went nuts. Then I have had to deal with idiot customer service folks at Gateway. My new replacement keyboard was supposed to arrive today and did not... they haven't even shipped it out yet. This is a big deal because I work out of my home and am self-employed. I have thus had a mini-vacation for two days when I should have been very busy. Plus today I sat home all day waiting for the friggin UPS guy to show up with my keyboard and NO ONE. Grrrrr. So I ended up going out and buying one which I will have to return once my replacement arrives (it is free since its still under warranty).
:o :mad: :censored:

Anyway, glad to be back on line. I'm starving but its late so nothing to eat for me. Whose dumb idea was it to do this commitment a week challenge anyway?? :rolleyes: Yeah, that would be me.

I have done my new bellydancing video the last couple of days and it is pretty fun... I might actually stick with this one. Haven't tried the Afro-Brazilian Cardio yet. Tonight I have a headache and my neck is killing me. Must be because I was ready to kill the three different "customer service" people I had to deal with earlier. I'm going out to my hot tub shortly for a nice long soak and hopefully calm my nerves. Its amazing how these things can push me to the brink of insanity!!!! Ok, I am going to calm down now.

SERENITY NOW!! :dance:

Lamorgan
09-05-2002, 08:51 AM
I can relate to your frustration, Sojourner, as I spent most of yesterday on the phone with various government offices ~ on hold mostly! Had to make an appointment for getting my OHIP renewed, mine expires on my birthday and of course I didn't take the correct I.D. to their office last week so now I have to wait until Oct 17th. Good thing I don't get sick very often, as I'll have no coverage for a month!

And then I had to see about getting Mat's Birth Certificate, I sent away for it months ago but he didn't sign the form so blah, blah, blah and they wanted more money for that.

And so on. It takes a lot of time on the phone to be a Canadian, sometimes. :)

I've been suffering anxiety lately, I can feel it in my chest, bubbling away... Haven't had it in ages. I feel so busy that everything is just the slightest bit out of my control, but after this week life should calm down. The library where I work hires another part-timer, so my hours will go back to 10 a week. I like the extra hours, there is a nice long denim skirt I like at Marks Work Warehouse, and I need some new shoes....

$$$$$$

But I hate to feel the underground panic start, not good. So this morning after my papers were done, I took 10 minutes and had a Pagan moment :lol: and collected acorns and nuts from the park across the road, put them in a bowl on my porch. I'll make strings of the nuts when the chestnuts start to fall... Hang the strings on my door.

Today is the day the Library Ladies go for lunch, and I think I'll go along... Only going to have Soup and Salad though. No fries. No calorie laden wraps. No Quiche. This morning I was on track (except for the Starbucks Mocha thing from Beckers) and had a lovely, low point breakfast.

I should be on the phone right now to yet another government office.... sigh.

Have a wonderful day to all.

Lois

Sojourner
09-05-2002, 11:56 AM
I'm feeling a little better today but I woke up with this dang headache again plus I didn't sleep very well. :tired: :headache: But at least my nerves are calm. Now I actually have to get some work accomplished today. I have a very important grant application due in about ten more days so I should really be working rather than screwing around online. Sigh. I need a new life.

Good luck Lois with all of your government calls today! Don't you just abhor stuff like that? Remember to breathe depply and remind yourself that the poor schmuck on the other end is probably getting paid a pittance and has no authority to do anything except tell you the rules. :dizzy:

Punkinseed
09-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Love you all!
Thank you for your responses to my teenage-angst like "I like a boy" rant yesterday. I received an email back from him thanking me for what I'd written saying it made him feel good to know someone else had been down the same path. I doubt seriously that anything's going to come of this - maybe, maybe not - I'm just enjoying it because it's the first time since my divorce almost 2 years ago that I've even *cared* about a man. I burst into tears the first time I told my best friend that he called just to ask how my day was - do you know in the 6+ years I was married my ex never, ever once asked me how my day was???? How sad is that? If nothing else at least this whole flirtation has proved to me that not all men are a$$holes who only care about what THEY can get from you. I have a client meeting set for next May in his office - I think it's worse knowing for sure when we'll meet face to face!

Squeaker - Sudafed.... ah, the crack of allergy sufferers! I haven't bought that in ages, I'll have to get some. :hypno2:

Barefoot - www.take-care.com Today's the 3rd or 4th day it's woken me up and I adore it! No buzzing, no blaring radio - it unfortunately wakes up my cats too. "Oh it's light! Time to play!!!"

Lamorgan - I'm so sorry you're feeling anxious - I *hate* that feeling. Hopefully things will calm down a bit soon. About your Pagan moment... I miss acorns! We don't have acorns or pine cones out here! Just dumb junipers that make me sneeze! I do believe we are going to take some of my mini-logs from my recent tree cutting and use them for Yule logs this year though!

Ok, I'm rambling... :grouphug: and love to everyone. I better do some work!

Terri

barefootgrrrl
09-05-2002, 02:57 PM
oh Terrrrrriiiii...........

:goodvibes

you made me tear up a bit there......of course you deserve lots of TLC ......... go get it girlfriend........if it doesn't turn out to be this guy.....then maybe the next....... we only have one lifetime - this go around anyway :love:

it's karma :)

love and hugs, Terri # 2 ps - thanks for the link.

I am usually the toughie in the crowd...y'all are making me turn sweet here :o

Punkinseed
09-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Same here Terri #2, I'm not the mushy lovey one - ever. I'm starting to see why though... even before my ex, my boyfriends have been the worst - one stole from me, one refused to remain faithful, and one decided drugs were better - no wonder I married the first guy who asked huh? There's something in his tone of voice though that makes me smile and sigh.... this could be dangerous!

Today is the 2nd day I'm having palpitations... in my email yesterday in response to his complaining about the heat and that being part of his crankyness I wrote that he could always move to Oregon, where it's been nice and cool lately, etc, and so on. Well, I just hung up the phone with him and he said "oh, and about your saying to move to Oregon... I'm thinking that might not be such a bad idea" - ok, he was half joking, but I swear I felt the blood draw from my legs... WHAT am I doing???? I haven't done "this" for almost 10 years! What if what my friend has "predicted" happens (that he moves here)????

AAAAAAAAACK! :yikes:

You guys are the best... I swear I'll be back to "normal" soon - ok, maybe not, I just don't know!

Terri :spin:

barefootgrrrl
09-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Ok Terri,

I know we haven't known each other very long.......... :lol:

but here's my advice..... .. take it slow and enjoy :smug:

My experience has been the opposite......I always dated men who put me on a pedestal.......and then I ended up kinda taking them for granted. I always chose these kinds of guys.

Maybe Soozie can recommend us a therapist who works on both coasts??

:lol:

Over the past year, I've been studying personality types and why certain personalities are attracted to each other. I find this stuff fascinating..

Anyway, hang in there. I am here for you to bounce stuff off .

New Name: 3FC on a Diet and in Love -

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotta get back to work

Terri # 2

katrinabgood
09-06-2002, 11:06 AM
*&%$##%&@!&%#!

I just lost a blasted post that took at least an hour to create...I just don't have it in me to try and re-do it.

Suffice it to say: I'm very excited for you, punkin...have fun and cherish all those schoolgirl feelings...you deserve them!!
Feel better Wildfire!
High fives to all with kids back in school! woo hoo!
ellis, have fun w/ Mom at the Y!
Wantolose...Keep up the no smoking! You go girl!
soozie...the fair sounded fun...old timey and countryish...I need to get out of suburbia!
I can't think of everyone else I repled to...brain has seized up...

Thanks to all for the "welcome backs!" We had a grand time in Maine. We did spend one day in Nova Scotia...what an incredibly beautiful place...I want to go back..for good. Uh, wait a minute... Is consuming Marmite a requirement there? Will have to re-think relocation plans if so.

The dog is barking her fool head off at something...must investigate...

later, chickies

Wanttolosealot
09-06-2002, 11:30 AM
No Kat,
Maramite is not a food of choice here in Nova Scotia. I had never even heard of it until I join this crazy bunch. Did you spend any time in Amherst , Nova Scotia? That is where I live! Maybe we seen each other and did not even know it. I am so glad you enjoyed it here, and sure hope you some back again.
Virginia

mauvaisroux
09-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Evening everyone! :)

I am feeling better today, (thanks for the extra hugs Ellis and Yay for you for joining the gym:cp: )

I went out with two of my girlfriends tonight and I think that did me a world of good.

Den you are a great mom who is raising a great son!

How's the tooth Wildfire?

Sorry, not much to say tonight as I am very tired. I haven't slept well for a couple of nights. :yawn:

Have a great weekend everyone:D

dentrassi
09-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Mauvais-Thanks!! Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping. That happens to me too, and it REALLY makes it difficult to function. Glad to hear you went out with some friends; it sounds like you needed some fun!! Here are some sleep vibes for you...:goodvibes :cloud9: :cloud9: :goodvibes Hope you are feeling better soon.

Katrina and Wantstolosealot-EATING MARMITE IS COOL!!! (snicker)

Terri(s)-I agree with Terri, Terri......Go cautiously, BUT GO FOR IT!!! Life is short and you deserve happiness!!!

Lamorgan-It is the same in the states. I had to call the IRS, and was transfered 4 times before I got someone who answered my question by asking "Why did you do that?" The mistake was THEIRS by the way!!! :lol:

Ellis-How is it going at the Y? Good for you for signing up!!!

Sojourner-Hope the headache is gone!!!!!

barefootgrrrl
09-07-2002, 01:22 PM
ok den........I am still wondering what the Marmite tastes like........

I remember someone recommended Brewer's yeast as a nutritional supplement.......is it like that?

Terri- barefootin' on a beeooooteefoool day :)

dentrassi
09-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Kat-I have had one person tell me it tastes like brewers yeast, and it is somewhat similar. It actually is a yeast extract so that makes sense. It is in spread form though, so it is texturally very different. Others have told me it is like eating a bouillon cube!!! It is very salty, and I like it best spread on toast or as a sandwich with butter and cukes or lettuce. It is also good for enriching stews etc!!

Ellis-It may LOOK like boot polish, but it doesn't TASTE like it!!! You are wrong about eggplant too. IT IS YUMMY TOO!!!!!!!!:p

Wildfire
09-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Anyone else getting some new *annoying* ads that pop up when you enter the forum, take over your computer screen, and decide in their own good time that they'll disappear when they're ready? I'm not liking it.:nono:

I went back to the dentist this morning for a cleaning and checkup on the tooth from ****. Cleaning was okay...dentist told me how amazed he was that I had no build-up on my teeth even though it's been a year since I was in for a cleaning last. :smug: (Missed one this spring.) No coffee/smoking helps, though.

So while I'm there he tells me "You know, I'm going to have to drain that lump in your jaw." Oh, really?:yikes: And just how does that happen? Well, they put topical anesthetic on so I wouldn't feel the actual cut but holy crow the pain when he started pushing on it! "Does that hurt?" "uh-HUH" "oh, I'm sorry" and he pushed harder! :faint:

Oh well, I survived. Now the root canal is next. Thankfully, the swelling is going down finally, and the excrutiating pain I was in seems to be gone. I birthed a 9lb 2oz baby with NO drugs, and I'm tellin ya....this dental pain was worse!!! :eek: Thanks for all your :goodvibes , and keep 'em coming for Monday!

Mauvais, ever try the Solitudes CD for Sleep Enhancement? It has an inaudible beat that gradually slows and it slows your heart beat and breathing until you drift off to sleep. There are four tracks on the CD, the first is ocean waves. I've never made it past the first track before I was out cold. Works every time for me.

Kat, glad you enjoyed your trip! If you get back to Nova Scotia, be sure to include Cape Breton!

Thanks for info on eggplant. Unfortunately, I don't like mushrooms, so if it's anything similar, I'll pass. Of course, smothered in tomato sauce and cheese, I might be able to eat it. :D

Oh, gotta go. Hubby needs this computer. :wave:

Ruthxxx
09-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Just checking in. Yesterday was a day from **** that started with Lucy escaping into the woods and ended with a fight with DH and me in tears. So today I am striving for serenity. (We got Lucy back and DH is on his best behaviour.)

Wildfire, I am so sorry about the tooth situation. I went through it years ago and still feel the pain. Let's hope the dentist clears it up fast for you. I would have kneed him if he caused me that much pain!

Marmite does taste like a bouillon cube! Some things are an acquired taste - liver, capers, anchovies, black olives, etc. I've never tried brewer's yeast - except in beer, of course.

Hotter than **** here today. It is an ice cream day but the only scooped ice cream place in the Village is out of ice cream! Can you imagine that? On a weekend! The Sealtest guy did not deliver. Oy! I'm tempted to get out the ice-cream maker and make something low carb and sugar free.

Gotta go and practice sitting on the front porch and reading my book. Mmmmm....herb tea, white wicker and squishy flowered cushions. Life can be good.

ellis
09-07-2002, 08:05 PM
That Solitudes CD, Wildfire... what happens if your heart STOPS?
We'll be thinking about you on Monday, sweetie. You're going to be just FINE!
Geepers, I didn't know what you were talking about re: those ads. I thought, "Okay, Wildfire is LOSING HER MIND!!" But I just got one, too! Very very bad. :nono:

Ruth, you're right... Marmite tastes like a bullion cube! That's it exactly! (oh... sorry... Den said that!)
I'm sorry you had a rough day yesterday... hope that today was better for. And I'm SO glad that Lucy is alright! (ummmm, she IS alright, isn't she?)

Yeah, okay Auntie Marmite... eggplant is yummy. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:
Hey, the Y is great! We tried out all kinds of equipment... it was a hoot. We're going again on Monday. I'm going to try to go AT LEAST 3 days a week. Do you think it's okay if I take a book with me and read while I exercise? I could definitely read while I'm biking... and I'm sure I could do it while using some of the weight machines. At least when I'm only using my feet, anyhow. And I think I could run on the treadmill and read at the same time...

Mauvais, I'm glad you're feeling a little better, but you've got to get some SLEEP, GIRL!! What are we going to do with you? Are you taking any of our suggestions? Okay, how about this one... SEX!! That's sure to knock you out! (no?) hugs...

Lois, my OHIP card expired about 7 months ago. While you're there, could you get MINE renewed for me? What a drag. I can see myself walking down there and standing in line for 2 hours, only to discover that I've got the wrong ID with me.
How's the anxiety? I can relate completely. I've been having it lately, too. And it's been SO long since I've had it... I was hoping it was a thing of the past.

Kat darling, you are FAR too fond of swearing! :lol: You SHOULD move to NS. Everyone should.

Terrigrrrl, you are NOT a toughie! I don't believe you! You are just too sweet for words! Are you gagging now? ;)

Sojo... good doing the bellydancing! Did you know that if you have sex six times in a row (even if you think it's physically impossible to have any more kids), it's possible to get pregnant? Ask anyone who knows me...

Hi to everyone else... love you all!

Wanttolosealot
09-08-2002, 08:29 AM
I agree with Ellis, Everyone should move to N.S. If you have tents or trailers, I could set you up in my backyard until you get a place. Than we could all go walking together, eat properly together(or not), it would be great.
Virginia

Wildfire
09-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Um...er..Ruth??? You don't mean you still feel the pain literally, right? :eek: Your afternoon on the porch sounds sooooo nice!
And no ice cream? Isn't that a capital crime of some sort? If not, it should be. Off with the ice cream man's head! :queen:

Ellis, I lost my mind a loooooong time ago! :dizzy: Don't worry, I've never sufferred cardiac arrest while listening to the Solitudes CD. :lol: Although, it makes you wonder, if they stopped that beat completely...what might happen???

Hey, can't you girls renew your OHIP cards through those Service Ontario kiosks that are in the malls? They look like bank machines...you can do your license, vehicle registration, OHIP, pay parking fines, etc,etc, on your own time! I use them to get my license plate stickers and I changed all my address information when we moved in July. They just sent my new drivers license and health card in the mail about a week later.

I'm in for moving back to NS! In a heartbeat.

I'll be glad when this whole dental ordeal is over with so I can get back on track with this whole weight loss thing. Yeah, yeah....I could still stay OP, but when you feel this sorry for yourself, there's nothing like comfort food. :yes: And it's been hard to convince myself to go for a walk when I'm doped up.

Hello to everyone, and I hope we all have a relaxing, wonderful Sunday! :wave:

barefootgrrrl
09-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Virginia - I told you about my little dream cottage by the sea in NS......so if the rest move there.......at least I'll have friends nearby to visit :) and y'all can come by for gin-n-tonics, tea or whatever :)

OK Ellis - since these days I'm trying NOT to get pregnant...... and you're saying sex 6 times in a row does it......then I have to ask a question or 2....... how close together do the *events* have to take place for this to happen? LOL

oh and you are sweet too.....I have a long running joke with my friend, the one who now lives on Albion road. One of us will say "you're sweet", then the other one will say "no, you're the sweet one" then, " no you" etc........

Wildfire - thinking of you while holding my cheek - I need to have 2 root canals this month.......eek! It only hurts now when I chew on that side......eek!

Kids today are lucky - I think the sealants prevent this.

Have a great day y'all - terrigrrrl

dentrassi
09-08-2002, 04:15 PM
HI!!!!

barefoot-My kids never got sealants...are they any good? We don't have any dental coverage right now, so I feel like I'm doing really well just getting them in for their cleanings!!!

Wildfir-I can relate completely....and WHAT is more comforting than a nice big bowl of ice cream!?! Who put out the solitudes tape? It sounds like something I could use too!!

Ellis-I am sorry you are still felling bad. Is going to the Y helping at all? About all those people who drop in to socialize.....Pretend you aren't home!!! Get caller ID for the phone!~!! Start foaming at the mouth!!! DO ANYTHING TO KEEP THEM OUT!!!

Mauvais-Are you sleeping yet? I slept 12 hours last Thursday night, felt WONDERFUL, and now my schedule is off again!!! I HATE not sleeping!!! Have you tried Tylenol PM? I yhink it is habit forminf, so you don't want to do it too often, but it helped me when I wasn't sleeping a few weeks ago.

Ruth-HI!!! Hope you are doing better too.

mauvaisroux
09-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone:wave:

I had a great time at the football game yesterday even though our team lost. It was only by 5 points and they played a really good game. I managed to stay away from all the junk food and had an only an ice cream as a treat.

Ruthxx-sounds like you had a really bad day yesterday. Hope your day was better today, I envy you your deck and puffy flowered cushions, enjoy some quiet time today:)

Ellis- good on you for the Y, and yes you can take a book or magazine with you, why not? I have seen people do that at the gym or they watch the tv's the gym provides. You know sex seems to be a cure all for everything: insomnia, prevention of heart disease, burns calories, headaches, stress relief, hmmmm....

Wildfire-thanks for the info on the CD, I think one of the stores in the nearby mall sells that series, I will definetly check it out, might help-can't hurt:) Hope your root canal goes well on Monday and isn't too painful.

We can all move to Nova Scotia and build our own Alternachick commune complete with a gourmet kitchen, hot tub, library, gym, spa, organic fruit and vegetable plot, herb garden and a claw foot bathtub in each of our homes, ****, we can build our own town around us:devil:

ellis
09-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh, Mauvais... that commune sounds positively divine! Let's do it! We also need a media room so that we can watch movies. And a popcorn machine. And a computer room with about 20 computers in it. We can all sit side by side and play PC games. And servants. You forgot about the servants.
Are you hot, sweetie? It's 34 degrees out. Cranky weather.

You're right, Den. I need a baseball bat at the front door and a rude message on my answering machine. Maybe I should become a compulsive swearer. Open the door and scream, "#*$@ off!!!" everytime someone rings. I just don't understand why people want to see me! I'm not that nice! Are they THAT bored? They must be losers.

Terrigrrrl, the events must take place during the same night. Listen honey, it was 7 years ago. I really can't remember the exact timing. It's just a big blurr. One that never reoccurred. And is never going to, as far as my DH is concerned. (he's pushing 40... those days are OVER!)
I can't wait for you to get those teeth done! I hurt everytime I read your post!

WAIT A MINUTE!! That's Wildfire! Wildfire... how's the tooth?
You know, you can only use those machine thingys if you've got a credit card, and I cut mine up 14 years ago. I don't know WHY they don't take bank cards! I've GOT the cash!

Virginia... we're comin' down. I hope you've got lots of room, because we'll be building a commune in your backyard.

Hello to everyone!!
xoxo

Wildfire
09-08-2002, 06:31 PM
ellis, those machines DO take debit cards! I paid for my vehicle stickers last year with my debit card. Check it out where you live....I'd do anything to avoid having to go to the government offices! The tooth doesn't hurt, it's the swelling in my jaw and the lump in my gums and my cheek. The dentist told me the root is already dead, that's why it doesn't hurt or throb. It's the infection in a pocket under the tooth that's doing all this to me. The infection doesn't seem to be going down any since they tortured me yesterday, and tomorrow is my last day on antibiotics. Don't know what they'll do when I get to the dentist.

Mauv and Den, check this out for some info on Solitudes Sleep Enhancement:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000J107/701-8523826-1070739

I was reading the reviews and saying to myself...wow...me too...exactly! :D Hey, I wonder if the dentist would let me listen to it while they yank those roots out. His office is very high-tech and patient-friendly. Television, headphones, makes you wear sunglasses so the light doesn't shine in your eyes, really comfortable leather chairs, fish tanks...the whole nine yards. Even video games and internet computers in the waiting rooms.

I haven't stepped out the door today. I heard it was hot, and I turned on the air conditioner. I've been cooking, cleaning, keeping busy. Of course, I was in the middle of whipping up some banana bread when I discovered there were no eggs! I sent hubby out. That's what he's here for. Plus he bought me ice cream. Maple Walnut. :T

terrigrrrl....TWO root canals? :fr: Geez, I feel much better! Thank you! See, it's true...no matter how awful you think things are, there is always someone worse off. Sorry it's you, though. I hope you don't have to have them both done at once. Have you been through it before? I've heard such horror stories, but I've convinced myself not to believe them. Much.

Oh, and ellis...I can relate to what I call the "home invasions". I don't want company or phone calls when I'm home on the weekends. I want time to do what I want, when I want, and if that means staying in my pj's all day and watching tv, then so be it. Is that anti-social? Maybe, but I don't care.

Time for tea, then dishes. A woman's work is never done.

Wanttolosealot
09-08-2002, 06:46 PM
I too am a hermit. Company begone! We need to put a sign up, saying "BIG UGLY PEOPLE EATING OGRE INSIDE- KEEP OUT"
Think it might work? I will begin chopping down trees and getting ready for the commune! Take care all!
Virginia

Wildfire
09-08-2002, 07:01 PM
:lol: Virginia, when I first read that, I took it as there are big, ugly people who are eating an ogre inside. :lol: Of course, that might work too.

ellis
09-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Wildfire... they DO take debit cards now? Oh yipee!! I'll have to check them out again. What a relief that would be. Listen, do they take pictures, too? :lol:
Oh, yes... yes... not the tooth, the POCKET! Technicalities, darling.
Listen, husbands are ALSO for doing dishes! Mine does all of them. I just stack them in one sink throughout the day, and he does them after dinner when he's home from work. He's lovely. Just lovely.

Virginia, are you a true hermit? I AM!! I could get away with seeing people maybe 3 or 4 times a year. And never be lonely. Of course, I would definitely be lost without my computer. :D

later darlings...

Wanttolosealot
09-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Well Ellis,
Since you put it that way, I guess I am not a true hermit. I do like to have some people around , just who I choose and not who chooses to visit me.
But you girls are all welcome to set up our little commune. Call first okay?

dentrassi
09-09-2002, 12:09 AM
HI ALL!!!!

Okay Ellis-YOU WIN!!! You have the best husband. Mine is pretty darn good, but I do most of the dishes. He does do most of the laundry though, and ALL of the ironing!! (of course the only thing that REALLY needs ironing is his dress shirts, and then only if they don't make it out of the dryer fast enough!!!)

Wanttolosealot-I agree. I like having people around, but only on a limited time basis, and only people I like. I can't stand it when people I DON'T like force themselves on me and I feel like I have to be polite, and so I don't tell them what I am thinking which is :censored: you, you :censored:ing :censored:!! okay, I'm calm now.

Mauvais-SEE!! I'm doing MUCH better now that we have that little swearing emoticon!!! The commune sounds GREAT!!

Wildfire-That CD looks GREAT!! Thanks!! I'm going to look for it as soon as we start getting money coming in again!! I stay up WAY too late, and often it is just me getting myself overly excited about something (ANYTHING!!)It is like I wake UP at 11 pm!!!

soozie
09-09-2002, 12:59 AM
Ellis, Wantstolosealot, You guys are reminding me of Shreck...did you all see it??? He trys to be a big ugly ogre that doesn't like company but he really is a sweety...like you Ellis deary!!! Of course we all only want to hang with the people we like to hang with and not be bugged by the buggers so...I say, life is short, prioritize what makes you happy and healthy and prioritize the people that you love and yourself and choose to do what works for you...don't ever go with the "shoulds" one of my colleagues always says...
"shoulds are sh*t" You don't have to be mean to people just set loving limits...don't let them invade your world. Keep the boundaries firm with a smile on your face...talk softly but carry a big stick, who said that? or something like that????

Girls, sorry that I've been out of touch, check out the lezbi thread for details. Nothing too intense...just busy. But, yeah, go there for details...it took me about 45 minutes to read everything on this one thread that I had missed!!!!
can't be away for even a day or two!!!

Well, just wanted to pop in busy busy busy and sleepy...its almost 1:00am...
Love, Soozie

Sojourner
09-09-2002, 01:45 AM
You really ought to be careful with all of those "shoulds" lest you "should" all over yourself. :p

There is something very wrong with my internal clock. It is now 12:37 am and I just returned from the grocery store. Trust me... there are only other weird people at the grocery store around midnight.... all the other night owl freaks of nature. On my way to the store I called my mom and had to laugh, because she says she always does her shopping late at night. I get this messed up clock from her I guess. She and I and my sister area always on line at the same time around midnight. I had a lazy Sunday and napped for a couple of hours this afternoon. If I keep up these nocturnal hours eventually I will go to bed as the sun rises and awake around dinner time. :dz: Actually that would be perfect for me. The worst part of this is that since I am not eating after 8:00 pm I am STARVING until bedtime.... for four or five hours. :mad:

Lamorgan
09-09-2002, 08:47 AM
I'm a recovering Hermit... and a complete phone-a-phobic. I'll write letters, and email but if I have to call someone I'll put it off forever.

As far as I know we cannot renew OHIP at a Kiosk. Then they'd have trouble rejecting you and we could be a (gasp) alien trying to illegally renew someone elses OHIP card...

They sent me a renewal in the mail, and I took that in as my proof of residence. They wouldn't accept it because someone might have waited for it to be delivered (to my locked PO Box) and stolen it. I guess thieves don't steal gas bills.

I simply won't get ill between my birthday and Oct 17th. Mind over matter.

Since I've been reading about all the tooth pain I've noticed that my sensitive molar hurts when I chew on it. My dentist apt is on Sept. 11th. What kind of omen is that?????

I'd rather have natural childbirth than have dental work.

:(

Anxiety has lessened, laundry is caught up, my Aquisitions course (online Library Tech) starts today...

Have a great day all ~

Lois

Punkinseed
09-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Good morning all! :wave:

Got my carport finished this weekend! I'm sore, but I won't be scraping ice or snow off my car this winter :cb:!

You guys talking about what your husbands do and don't do reminded me of a particular "incedent" with my ex. His Mom once asked if I would cut his pancakes for him.... I held my smart *** response and asked if she was serious - when she said yes, I calmly told her I thought her 24 year old son was more than capable of cutting his own damned pancakes - then walked out of the room before I chucked his breakfast AT her. :rolleyes: The amount of babying she did to him was freakish - and he allowed it! Aaaaah, so glad to be outta' there!

Terrrrri - Oh, I'm not freaking out as much as it looks. Heh, I didn't even palipitate when my brother (who's one of our mechanics who works in L.A.) told me "He" asked when I was coming down. I AM *totally* enjoying this - whether it goes anywhere or not. I enjoy the warm fuzzies I get when I get a phone call from him that's just a "how's your day been?" or "whatcha doing?". I was hurt deeply by my ex and his family - he became verbally abusive at the end and his father whom we lived with was physically abusive toward my ex and his Mom and threatened to hurt me - he verbally abused us all. It took the better part of 3 years after I left to be comfortable being in the same room with a man - so it's probably for the best that the first man I find myself attracted to is over 800 miles away. I've asked "the powers that be" to guide this one. If it's right and meant to be, it will happen, if it's not, then I'm thankful for the healing experience. I don't believe in coincedince or serendipity - there is a master plan to it all and I've given myself up to it.
I had a dream that I remarried when I was 35 - I'll be 33 in January.... who knows? If it's "my guy" or some other wonderful human - I trust "Them" to bring me who I'm supposed to be with and I too believe I deserve it!

Mauvais - Did ya get some sleep?? I hope so, there's nothing worse than insomnia.

Wildfire - I'm thinking pain-free thoughts for you today! I hope they give you good drugs :faint:

Ruth - I'm SO glad Lucy came back! That's always been my biggest fear - that one of my girls will get out. There's been an owl living in one of my trees and I know it's been eyeing my cats - I've watched it watch my back door. It's a Northwestern owl - about 3 feet tall and totally capable of taking off with a kitty!

Sojo - Ya know... there was just a program on the Science channel about inherited body clocks - you're probably right, you did inherit it from your Mom - or you have vampires in your family (get it? being awake only at night? get it? hehehehehe - courtesy laugh!)

Lamorgan - I'm sure your dentist appointment will go fine. :D

I doubt I'll do anything this Wednesday - I'll put out my flag and say a prayer. I plan on hugging my family, calling and emailing my friends, cuddling the kittles and staying close to home. I probably won't watch much regular tv (thank God for satellite dishes) because seeing everything on live tv a year ago was enough for me - I don't need to see it replayed a million times, it still hurts just as much now as it did then.

Ta' for now - I guess I should do what they pay me for!

Terri

soozie
09-12-2002, 07:33 AM
I notice that Chris hasn't been around for awhile...Chris if you are out there lurking I hope you are okay and know that we are all thinking of you and praying for you...has anyone heard from Chris or emailed or pm'd her???

Chris, sending love and positive energy your way!!!!! :wave: :grouphug:

Soozie

mauvaisroux
09-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I haven't heard from Chris either. Maybe she is busy with kids and school. Hope she is doing okay! :grouphug: and sending positive vibes your way Chris :goodvibes

Hello to the 2 newbies as well. I just noticed the new entries on the bio thread. Welcome:) to MissMeliss and Tankgirl.

Hi to Dude too! We haven't heard from you for a while.
How are you doing? Have you started getting ready for your move to Turkey yet?

dentrassi
09-15-2002, 11:44 PM
...and how are YOU Mauvais? Hope you are feeling better now!

Wildfire
09-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Lamorgan how was the dentist? And you too, terrigrrl...weren't you supposed to be having root canals this month? You know, after everything I went through last week, I'm not even nervous about my appointment on Wednesday night.

Christine, drop us a line when you can, and know that we're thinking and praying for you. :grouphug:

Mauvais, are you sleeping better yet?

Punkin, any updates with the "guy"? This is so exciting! Okay, so I've only been re-married for four years, but I remember that whole rush....whooeeee.....ain't nothing like it!

Everyone else...hello :wave: and hope you are well!

Me...work is a *****, I work with a *****, I was called an angry ***** by the ***** that I work with....that 'bout sums it all up. *oops* can we say *****?

Lamorgan
09-17-2002, 07:21 AM
All went well at the dentist, I of course didn't mention that I have been having some discomfort in that molar. Maybe next time.

:o

Walking this morning was wonderful ~ crisp out there and smells so wonderful of autumn. Makes me want to make soup.

And cabbage rolls...

Have a good day to all~

Lois

Punkinseed
09-17-2002, 10:46 AM
:wave:

Wildfire - Nope, nothin' new with "my guy" other than the normal friendly banter and harrassment (which I totally enjoy). He's been stressed out with work and calls to tell me all about what's going on. Silly, but I feel wonderful knowing he trusts me enough to confide in me - considering some this stuff I probably shouldn't know about...

Lamorgan - I'm so glad the appointment went ok! I'm with you - today is one of those blessedly beautiful fall'ish mornings that I wish I could've stayed in bed and listened to the rain! Then I could get up late and crochet or make scones.... I need a vacation.... (wahoooo 3 weeks from today!!)

Enjoy the day!

Terri

barefootgrrrl
09-17-2002, 02:23 PM
We still have summer here.....but I'm so anxious for fall, I can just taste it.

I went to the mall last night to buy the hubster a birthday gift.

Can you believe they have the Xmas trees up and decorated at Macys already??? aaaggh! our community pool just closed on Sunday!
Now ok, I am a lapsed Christian and all that but it bothers me...and the commercialism - there was even a red-white-and-blue Xmas tree -eek!

No offense to all of you who love all this stuff.....but I just felt a little overwhelmed by it - I guess I am a less-is-more kinda grrrl.

Lois - glad to hear you did ok at the dentist. My appt is at the end of the month.

I guess between those of us here, we are really keeping the dentists in business

Now I have to call the insurance co. to make sure they're going to at least pay part of it. I could have bought a new car with all the money I've given to dentists in the past few years.

wildfire - I'll send you good thoughts :)

Punkin - are you working too hard? :)

ok, I have a cute story to share. My niece just turned 4. She is confused by having so many uncles and grandpas, so she calls them all "umpa". She calls my husband her "Umpa Mark".

My sister reminded her that today is his birthday - she offered him her blue cup LOL and asked my sister to help her wrap it.

Have a good day all - thinking of ya - terrigrrrl

oh PS - sending Chris a hug!

Punkinseed
09-17-2002, 03:27 PM
Yes, *where* IS Chris????

I'm with you Terri grrrrl, here it isn't even fall yet and everyone's got Christmas stuff up! Being that I have to ship 90% of my gifts, it IS helpful that they have some things out because I can get going on it (like last week at Michaels), but my goodness!!!! Let's at least get past Halloween before we put up the trees!! I'm looking forward to fall too!

Going to donate blood after work. I used to do it all the time before I moved so I plan on getting back in the habit of handing over some good ol' healthy O+. Afterward I'm going to treat myself to a turkey sandwich and shop for foodstuffs for the weekend. Another get together for the equinox....

Terri :moo: *snort*

mauvaisroux
09-17-2002, 10:22 PM
Speaking of Christmas...I was just looking at the Sears Christmas Wish book last night:p I haven't even dealt with Hallowe'en yet:mad:

Wildfire
09-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Oh, Lamorgan...I learned my lesson. No more delaying dental work for me...that's how I ended up in this mess. Don't wait too long, okay?

Punkin, isn't great to have those little interruptions in your day? Just to know that someone out there is thinking about you and calls...makes the world seem right for a little while.

Let's see, since September 7 I've spent $987 at the dentist, and I have no idea what he'll charge me tomorrow night. Luckily, I have dental coverage through work and get refunded for 80% of most work I have done. This stuff is covered, thankfully.

Umpa Mark....too cute. :bb: I am soooo sick of heat and humidity....I want crisp air and fall colours and crunchy leaves underfoot....and I want it 12 months a year!!!

October is a busy month here...Thanksgiving, hubby's birthday on the 22nd, Samhaine/Hallowe'en and the 31st is also my anniversary. I can't even think about Christmas/Yule until November 1st! Although, I have looked at the Christmas Wish Book, too, Mauvais. :sssh:

Hey, what's with this lunatic idea of raising the GST to 10%???? Why don't they just cut people's arms off or take our first born? Geez. Some three-year tax....like 15 years ago....and now they want to milk us for more? I'm telling ya....the little man is getting smaller all of the time. Okay, rant over, but I'm sure I'll be back on this one. :soap:

soozie
09-18-2002, 01:26 AM
My sister works part time at a craft store in Dallas Texas and she said that they are stocked with a ton of red, white, and blue stuff for Christmas...I'm sorry but that is just sickening...I have to say it...don't hate me like everyone hated Bill Mahr...but really...goodness gracious...an all American red, white, and blue Christmas...no way, that has to be the tackiest thing this side of the equator. Please can't we just fly an American flag on the fourth of July and let Christmas stay red and green...or better yet be about the birth of Jesus??
(remember that whole thing? I think it predates the Santa thing by a few years but I'm not positive, remember, I'm Jewish)
Taking it too this extreme brings commercialism to new heights...and believe me the manufacterers of this crap...that winning combination of American know-how and cheap Chinese labor...are thrilled to suggest that you have to replace all of your old decorations to incorporate your love of the US and disdain for those who destroyed the World Trade Center and killed so many people..."if you care about the people who died and their families...if you believe killing is wrong...buy these red, white, and blue ornaments and lawn props...God Bless You...(made in China)"

friends to the North...kindly disregard the message above
and keep your maple leaves off of your trees...well, you know what I mean.

thank you, Soozie

squeaker
09-18-2002, 06:27 AM
I LOVE BILL MAHER!!!!!! I even have 2 of his books. :)

And you are right. The patriotic thing HAS gone a little overboard. But I am keeping my Santa decorations. :)

barefootgrrrl
09-18-2002, 07:54 AM
yes! yes! yes!

soozie - Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

I am sickened by the events of 9/11 and touched by the spirit that is supposed to be Christmas (even as I abhor organized religion)........but I cannot stand any of this in-your-face crap. I thought it was just me.......but when I saw the red-white-and blue decorations on the Christmas tree, I just thought I was going to get sick.

I truly am one of those usually optimistic, friendly types, but stuff like this threatens to turn me into a cynical soul.

oh wildfire! please tell me what Samhaine is all about and all Souls Day and what all that means! I am so curious

hugs, terrigrrrl

Lamorgan
09-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Since 911 even Canadians have flags all over the place. Ours and yours!

My tree will be it's usual self of children's homemade ornaments, plus mounds of other stuff. Not a maple leaf in sight.

Don't mind maple-leaf cookies for an autumn snack, though....

Enterprise begins season 2 tonight... I have a class-chat but the guys say they'll tape for me... And Survivor tomorrow night, my tacky self and daughter enjoy that silly show... When oh when will Buffy start??????

Must be fall; Lamorgan is watching tv again.

I promise I'll go to the dentist some day....

L

Punkinseed
09-18-2002, 11:37 AM
I agreed with Bill Maher about a bunch of stuff too. I think the red, white and blue Christmas stuff is crazy... But, also typically American (if some is good, tons of it is better). I think there's a time and place to show your patriotism, but on a holiday such as Christmas/Yule, no, that's not the place.

Soozie - Yep, Jesus predates Santa - but the idea of an "old man winter" does go far, far back to the days of the Holly King, an old Pagan icon for winter.

To me, the thing that bothers me the most is that besides religion being taken out of the holiday, it's that the sentiment's gone. No longer are we thankful to have an abundance of food on a cold winter night, or that we're healthy and together. There's no celebration or acknowledgment of the fact that the worst, darkest nights of winter are now working back to the promise of long summer days again (winter solstice being the longest night of the year). Yea, I'm Pagan and these are the things *I* celebrate so of course not everyone's going to feel the same or mourn the same loss of these ideals, but when Chrismas stuff starts making its' appearance in August/September when we haven't even celebrated the fall equinox - yea, we've lost touch!
Ok, off the :soap: Terri....

Besides, Samhain is one of my favorite holidays... I'd like to relish and wallow in IT before diving into Yule!

Ok, I'll go back to my box now,

Terri

Wildfire
09-18-2002, 08:19 PM
terrigrrl, Samhain is the Pagan New Year, coinciding with Hallowe'en. It is a time for reflection, and letting go of the old and looking towards the new. It also marks the end of the harvest season, and the death of the God, who will be reborn of the Goddess at Yule, as the cycle continues. Some believe that the veil between this world and the next is at its thinnest and that the departed walk among us. It is common to honor those who have passed into the Summerlands by displaying their photographs on the Pagan alter, and even setting a place at the table for them during the Samhain feast. It is from Samhain that the tradition of carving pumpkins originated. Long ago, however, it was more often turnips that were carved and lit to keep away any evil spirits who might be about that night, with townspeople dressing up in each other's clothes to walk among the visiting departed unnoticed.

Anyone who wants to learn more about Paganism might want to look at http://www.witchvox.com . It is a very in-depth, current site addressing all aspects of Paganism. I don't know if providing a link like that is considered advertising, but if it gets deleted, I'll understand.

Well, I have a permanent filling in that tooth now. Done without any freezing, too. So now that I'm good for a bit before they put a crown on it, my dentist tells me he wants to replace an old filling that I got when I was a teenager. To prevent this scenario from happening again, of course. Yeah, of course.

You know, the whole red, white, and blue thing has been done at Christmas for a long time in the form of Americana decorating. But, I absolutely agree that's it's being pushed too far for all the wrong reasons.

I have to work late tomorrow, but I'm using Survivor as an excuse to go home by 9pm. :D

TTFN :wave:

mauvaisroux
09-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Christmas at my house does not involve Santa or religion and I try to avoid the abundance of commercialism.

We have an open house on Christmas Eve where friends and family can just drop in for a visit. We put out a buffet, a bar/drink table and home baked goodies. I sometimes theme it around a country, one year was Italian, one year was Spanish food. :chef:

We decorate with fresh pine wreaths tied with festive ribbons.
We don't bother with a tree as we don't have room for one in the apartment. I decorate the table with a pine and holly centrepeice and my Grandmother's brass candlesticks.

The idea is to celebrate our friendships and family ties and truly enjoy what the season represents for us. We don't exchange gifts but our friends are kind enough to bring a bottle of wine or something for the drink table or some treats for everyone to share. We end up having a great time and kick the last few stragglers out at 2am:rolleyes:

Wanttolosealot
09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
I have enjoyed so much your stories of how you all celebrate the different holidays. I love learning about different cultures, religions and all that sort of thing. So please keep them coming, and Wildfire thank you for sending the website on Paganism, I am going there now, as I really know nothing at all about it, but am very intersted.
Virginia

Wanttolosealot
09-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Me again,
In your own Pagan words could you describe to me what it means to be a Pagan, are you born into , can you convert, what are your rituals, etc,,, anything. I really am intersted!
Virginia

Punkinseed
09-19-2002, 03:02 PM
I love to fill people in a bit - like there is NO satan involved and I'm pretty sure eating children has been outlawed... ;) I know not everyone on this thread is Pagan, so I hope you don't mind me butting in here...

The first thing you'll learn is that if you ask 5 Pagans a question, you're going to get a different answer from each of them - very rarely do we all do everything the same.

In my case, I was raised to learn about all the religions and choose from each what I wanted - then call it my own. Paganism, witchcraft, finding God and Goddess in nature is what came of that. Some people come to Paganism because whatever their previous beliefs they feel like they're missing something - some people combine Pagan beliefs with their current Christian beliefs - it's a "whatever feels right is right for you" religion.

Any religion that is not of Christian origin is considered "Pagan" - witchcraft, druid, asatru, etc. all fall under this term. For the most part, it is a worship of nature, the changing of the seasons and finding the Divine in everything and everyone. Divine for some Pagans also involves both male and female energy. Most also believe in Karma, or what you do to others will come back to you (whether it be 3 times or once is a personal belief). (that's a very brief synopsis of the belief system - there are no books or manuals and everyone can have a different opinion)

Rituals also fall under the 5 different answers catagory. Sometimes I'm alone, sometimes I'm with a group of people I love and trust, sometimes I do absolutely nothing but mentally acknowledge that that needs to be acknowledged and leave it at that. Simply lighting a candle can be a ritual. Oftentimes when I'm with my group it doesn't involve anything formal - we just share in each other's company, talk about why we're together - there's always food and laughter.

I know you have the witchvox site, but there's also paganwiccan.about.com and paganlibrary.com that are very informative. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me - I'm always happy to answer!

Terri :)

squeaker
09-19-2002, 03:15 PM
:wave: hi chickies!

Just figured I would pop in and say hi. I am bored out of my mind. I have a ton of stuff to do but I have been watching this last program run for 20 minutes. I can't do anything else until it's done. It just keeps chugging along. And I have a meeting that starts at 5PM!!!!! What kinda stupid thing is that? I am normally home by 4:30. *bangs head against the side of the cube*

Ok I gotta find something else I can do to get my stuff done. :p

Wanttolosealot
09-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Terri, Thanks so much for filling me in a little bit. I have been reading a bit and will be looking a whole lot more into it. It is fun learning more and sounds like a great way of living life.
Virginia

squeaker
09-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Come out, Come out where ever you all are............... :)

Wanttolosealot
09-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Hi ladies,
Just thought I would let you Shakespeare fans in on a site I found while trying to educate myself on the finner things of life. It is the Complete works of William Shakespeare. http://the-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/
Most of you probably already have the site or have your own copies, however, I just stumbled acrossed it and thought I would share it with you. I am not sure how much of it I will understand but I am going to give it a go. I took only general english in school, to avoid him, and now 18 years later here I am reading his works. Go figure! This forum has really been the best thing I have done for myself in a long long while. You are all a fantastic variety of females, who I am proud to call my online friends. Thanks for all your support.
Virginia
:grouphug: :cloud9: :chockiss:

squeaker
09-20-2002, 08:22 AM
I know we are all adults, but if you want to read some Shakespeare that is still very good, but easier to read - there is a book Tales from Shakespeare by Charles & Mary Lamb. It has about 23 stories in it. It is a kids book, but not a little kids book. It is written as stories instead of plays, but it still uses some of the language. There is no replacement for the plays, but it gives you a great look at the plots. I have a copy of it and a copy of the complete works. :)

Lamorgan
09-20-2002, 08:51 AM
I'm a Pagan too, I love the rythm of the seasons and discovering almost ancient memories as I learn more and more about my chosen path. Samhaine is a time when I reflect on my parents and sister, who are deceased and it is also a time to celebrate those new biths in this year. A time to mourn a little, a time to celebrate too.

Usually at Samhaine I go away for a weekend with my daughter to Womynspirit, but this year we are staying home.

Yule is great too ~ all the traditions are all mixed up with so many Christian ones... I can have a Yule tree and who the heck would know!!

Lois

soozie
09-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Ladies, Can you believe we're talking about religion and Shakespeare? And that I even learned how to spell Shakespeare?

Does anyone know where our beloved Ellis is? I haven't seen her around for awhile? There are so many threads now that maybe she was headed away somewhere and I missed her announcing it? Or maybe her computer is down? Can one of you Northern chicks go knock on her door and tell her to come out and play, that we miss her?

I am going to the gym today. I am going to the gym today. I am. I am. I am....
Love, Soozie

Wanttolosealot
09-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Hey Soozie,
You sexy hot babe you! Have a great workout at the gym.:strong: I really would like to get started at the gym, however, I am working so few hours now that I really can not afford to. Think I will improvise and make up my own routine here at home. :barbell: Maybe all the Shakespeare talk scared Ellis away, I hope not. Come back to us Ellis.
Virginia

Punkinseed
09-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Lamorgan - Same here, Yule tree - most of my ornaments are handmade from friends and family and what's been store bought are all varying shapes of stars.
Another tradition is Yule logs. This year the logs are coming from my trees that were trimmed back in that awsome act of kindness - we'll all use different colors of spell candles, depending on what our wishes are, and burn them on the halved logs, covering them in the multi-colored waxes. Then everyone takes their log home, and burns it the following Yule. The glow of 6 or 8 logs with 12 or more candles burning on each one is an awsome sight.

Soozie - Enjoy the gym!!! :strong:

Ellis... Oh Eeeeellliiiissssss, where aaaaare youuuuu????

Squeaker - Thanks for the book info. It sounds like something to check out. Maybe reading it in that form first, then reading the play would help it make more sense. Sometimes the language ties me up so much I just quit reading!

Ta' for now everyone!

Terri

Wanttolosealot
09-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Punkinseed,
Thanks you sharing more of your traditions with us all, you all are very pecial people and I am thankful to know you at least this way. I will check out the childrens stories, thanks!
Virginia

ellis
09-20-2002, 04:58 PM
hello darlings...
been away with hubby for three days... had a lovely time, but I missed my kids like the dickens. Speaking of dickens, I hate Dickens. Know who else I hate? Shakespeare. Highly over-rated. Now if you want me to recommend a few good authors to y'all, I'd be glad to do so.
I'll be back soon to irritate you girls on an individual basis.
love and hugs... ellis

Ruthxxx
09-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Welcome back, Ellis. I hope you had a great time at the Resort - it is NOT a den of cockroaches - at elast, not when I've been there for conferences.

I'm going to be missing in action for a bit. My pal Linda comes from Wisconsin tomorrow and I won't be doing much computer time until she leaves on Wednesday. On Friday I go for my wrist operation so any PCing will be one hand stuff.

BUT I am going to read everything so don't think yuou can sneak anything by me!

Have a great weekend everyone.

ellis
09-20-2002, 05:57 PM
You're right! It wasn't a den of anything! It was actually very enjoyable and quite lovely.
Except I spent 150 bucks on second hand books. :D

Ruthxxx
09-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Well, it's not as if you smoked! or do you? Sorry we couldn't get together - things were not good around here yesterday!

mauvaisroux
09-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Well I was going to go knock on Ellis' door since I can walk to her house from mine but then I was worried that she might think I was stalking her, so it is just as well that you came back to us Ellis! Sounds like you had a good time:) What books did you buy?

Well I loved Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities" and Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus" (sp?) but one of my most favorite authors is Sir Walter Scott.

Ruthxxx-have fun with your friend and good luck with your wrist operation! :goodvibes

Virginia- there are some good books on Wicca and Paganism at Chapters in the religion/spirituality/new age section, but you have to sift through the silly ones with cartoony covers and fluffy titles. The one I have is called "The Healing Traditions & Spiritual Practices of Wicca" by Debbie Michaud. It is a slim book with basic information and not too complicated. I found it to be a good starter book for myself. One thing that really ticked me off was that in the middle of the Wiccan/Pagan books was the Satanic Bible:rolleyes: Thanks Chapters, for helping to perpetuate that lovely stereotype :p

squeaker
09-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Woo hoo! I just finished a 5K walk for the American Heart Association. A few of us from work got together to walk in honor of our friend's husband who had a heart transplant 2 months ago. I also signed up to be an organ donor. It was a great walk through a beautiful part of the city. I could completely do it again except I don't own good walking shoes. I have Chucks and while they are comfy canvas sneakers they aren't good for long term stuff. I think I have a blister on the bottom of my foot. :p

But since I got little sleep last night I am going back to bed. :)

barefootgrrrl
09-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much all for all the good info on Shakespeare and Paganism.

I see they are are having a Pagan Pride day here in DC, but I had other plans, so maybe next time.

I guess I too was more familiar with the stereotypes - thinking along the lines of sorcery and all things dark and evil......so thanks for my enlightenment :)

I believe the divine is found in nature and the simple pleasures of living, so all this is very interesting to me.

Lois, what is Womynspirit? A spiritual gathering of some sort?

Squeak - yeah! on the 5K!! walking is great.......can't wait for the leaves and the cooler weather.....

So glad to see that Ellis has resurfaced :) yes! give us your recommended authors :)

Walt Whitman is one of my favorite writers, so along the lines of nature.....I've included a verse from one of his better known poems. Enjoy! - terrigrrrl

I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars,
And the pismire is equally perfect, and a grain of sand, and the egg of the wren,
And the tree-toad is a chef-d'ouvre for the highest,
And the running blackberry would adorn the parlors of heaven, And the narrowest hinge in my hand puts to scorn all machinery,
And the cow crunching with depressed head surpasses any statue,
And a mouse is miracle enough to stagger sextillions of infidels,

katrinabgood
09-21-2002, 03:16 PM
What a cool group of women!

Having had the recent pleasure of visiting Nova Scotia, I had to read Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. "This is the forest primeval..."

How lovely! Why was it such a chore in High School?

dentrassi
09-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Hello, this is dentrassi's DH (designated husband) responding to requests for Shakespeare advice.

Doing it yourself will be pretty challenging no matter what, so steer clear of the more difficult tragedies until you're comfortable with the style and language.

If you start with a comedy, you're pretty safe. The Taming of the Shrew isn't bad, and Much Ado About Nothing is relatively easy too. If you like a bit of history mixed in, or if you've ever been curious about the character Falstaff, then chase down the Henry IV plays. Honestly, I have not read a whole lot of his comedies, so I may be leaving out some good advice. My sweetie-pie (dentrassi) recommends Two Gentlemen of Verona, which I've never read.

Once you have one or two of these pretty well understood, then you can move on to Merchant of Venice, which is a little bit darker but still technically a comedy.

If tragedy is more your thing, then Romeo and Juliet is relatively easy to read, even though it is not among his best. I started out with Julius Caesar, which I recommend, but that was in school with someome to coach me along.

Once you are comfortable with the style and language, then prepare to tackle Hamlet and Othello. Save King Lear and The Tempest for later when you are quite proficient.

This is just advice, and if you take a course in school, you may encounter a totally different approach.

Also, good footnotes (or glossary) are a MUST for the solo reader. It should help to familiarize yourself with iambic pentameter before you get started too.

Good luck.

- Clark (aka DH)

Ruthxxx
09-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Hey! Midsummer Night's Dream - I was Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons! Metal bra and all!

dentrassi
09-22-2002, 05:25 PM
COOL!!!! Do you have any pictures???

mauvaisroux
09-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Squeaker-congrats on the 5K! :cp: That is amazing, way to go girl:cb:

Ruthxxx-yeah, where are the pictures?

Den and Den's DH- I loved Othello!

Katrina-poetry and the classics were not fun in school because it was forced on you and then they dissected it to death which made it all a big bore. Anyone else remember the constant badgering about foreshadowing and the Christ-like imagery of Lord of the Flies? How about poetry and "iambic pentameter"? :p
When you read these things on your own you get the the beauty of the sentiment and the author's prose and enjoy it for what you get out of it. I love the classics and some modern poetry too.
I really like Byron, Sir Walter Scott, Maya Angelou and Leonard Cohen ( I have several of his books that I have kept since high school). I really enjoyed "Le Petit Prince" or " The Little Prince" by Antoine St. Exupere (sp?)

Barefootgrrl-I have been to a public ritual which was really neat.
It was very enlightening and very spiritual- felt good to be there :goodvibes

ellis
09-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Okay, The Merchant of Venice was pretty good. And some of the others. I just don't see the need to go on and on about Shakespeare. We've turned him into some sort of god-like figure. There are plenty of other great authors out there. But please... feel free to go on and on about him... don't let my personal opinion affect your reading choices. :D
This is not intended as an insult... if you're not an egg-head but feel that you absolutely MUST read Shakespeare, I'd suggest checking out the young adults section in bookstores. (Squeak, I think that was YOUR idea, too.) As well as most of the plays, we own this great old hardcover called "The Children's Shakespeare", and for someone "not into reading plays", it's a good way of absorbing the stuff fairly painlessly.
Frankly, if I'M going to read a play, it's got to be something darned entertaining... like an Oscar Wilde. Who is great. :)

Other greats (in my humble opinion) include Somerset Maugham, E.M. Forster, Boris Pasternak, Virginia Woolf, Edith Wharton,
Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy, Gustave Flaubert, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Alexandre Dumas, C.S. Lewis, W.O. Mitchell, Timothy Findley, Zora Neale Hurston, Evelyn Waugh .... there are just a shipload of them... too many to mention.
If you're Canadian, you should read Catherine Parr Traill. Susanna Moodie's sister. (don't read Susanna Moodie, she's friggin' miserable) They were amongst the early settlers in Canada, and the stories make you appreciate getting up in the morning and turning on a tap and a light switch. And not having to build your own house by cutting down trees.
If you're a woman and a feminist, Zora Neale Hurston's "Their Eyes Were Watching God" is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Terri... those Yule logs sound BEAUTIFUL!!!
Terrigrrrrl... thank you for sharing the quote with us! I love to read favorite quotes of others.
Squeaker, you did the 5k!!!! That's wonderful!!!
Mauvais, I've still got all MY Leonard Cohen books from high school, too! I love him... except when he sings. ;)
Kat, it's true... reading that stuff in high school was a complete BORE, but later I came to really appreciate the books I'd read.
For instance, after my English teacher made us read Wuthering Heights for the 4th time I thought, "Hey, now I get it! This is an incredible book!" :lol:
No Ruth, I do NOT smoke. I bought my dad 45 bucks worth of socks in that men's clothing store.
Virginia, no one would ever know you'd only taken general English. :) Good for you for "catching up on the stuff you missed".
Den and Clark... you are such egg-heads. ;)
Lois, Samhaine sounds to be a beautiful time for you. I'm sorry you've lost your parents and sister. hugs.
Soozie... where are YOU!?
Hello to everyone else!

I'm off to the gym! Fat as ever, but persevering.
later darlings...

barefootgrrrl
09-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks Clark and Ellis for the ideas and suggestions.

Hey Ellis! by the way, welcome back!

Boris Pasternak......hmm, did he write Doctor Zhivago?

I enjoyed reading the classics in high school and college, but didn't seem to really appreciate them until years later. Why *is* youth wasted on the young?:lol:

I am very lucky to find the time get through the Sunday Post each week, but it doesn't dampen my determination to keep tackling new books. Maybe that's why I love poetry so much. I can carry little paperbacks with me and while waiting in airports or lines, I can enjoy a poem or two and actually *finish them*

I've heard of Leonard Cohen.....maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but is he the guy who is now living as a Buddhist monk somewhere in California or perhaps that is a different Leonard Cohen? :lol:

I'm glad you liked the Whitman snippet. I would love to read the favorite passages of others here :D

Well, I need to get to work and at lunchtime, I'm off to buy lacquer - amazing for me since I'm not the crafty type, but my hubby brought me home a fresh chile ristra from Seattle and I must preserve it - it is too beautiful!!

We are getting cooler weather tomorrow! yeah! barefoot will become sneakerfoot again!

Have a great day all! love and hugs, terrigrrrl:lol:

ellis
09-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Yes, Boris Pasternak wrote Doctor Zhivago. He won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1958 but had to decline the honour thanks to the banning of some of his works by the USSR.
He was also a poet. Apparently his poetry is quite beautiful. I've read some of the translations, but I have a Russian friend who says that the poems do not translate well.

Leonard Cohen is a Canadian poet and songwriter. But he can't sing worth a damn, and he knows it. :D
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/
Here's one of his older poems...

"This Is For You"

This is for you
it is my full heart
it is the book I meant to read you
when we were old
Now I am a shadow
I am restless as an empire
You are the woman
who released me
I saw you watching the moon
you did not hesitate
to love me with it
I saw you honouring the windflowers
caught in the rocks
you loved me with them
On the smooth sand
between pebbles and shoreline
you welcomed me into the circle
more than a guest
All this happened
in the truth of time
in the truth of flesh
I saw you with a child
you brought me to his perfume
and his visions
without demand of blood
On so many wooden tables
adorned with food and candles
a thousand sacraments
which you carried in your basket
I visited my clay
I visited my birth
until I became small enough
and frightened enough
to be born again
I wanted you for our beauty
you gave me more than yourself
you shared your beauty
this I only learned tonight
as I recall the mirrors
you walked away from
after you had given them
whatever they claimed
for my initiation
Now I am a shadow
I long for the boundaries
of my wandering
and I move with the energy of your prayer
and I move
in the direction of your prayer
for you are kneeling like a bouquet
in a cave of bone
behind my forehead
and I move toward a love
you have dreamed for me

dentrassi
09-23-2002, 11:19 AM
EGGHEAD MY BUTT!!!!! (See how ladylike and refined I am?)

I actually don't mind Leonard Cohen's singing. I prefer it to Bob Dylan. Another great poet/songwriter who should let others do the singing (sorry, I know it is sacrilege to say that...)

How about Dostoyevsky? Great stuff. These days I'm mostly reading light stuff. Why? Because.......MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!

ellis
09-23-2002, 01:08 PM
oh yeah... Dostoyevsky is good, too. But yes... I'm not into THAT kind of stuff right now, either. In fact, I think I can safely say, "I've DONE Dostoyevsky!"

soozie
09-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey Girls. Ellis. Love that poem...I'll have to check out the web site to see what else I'm missing. Congrats on getting your rear to the gym.

Gotta go get the kid at school, can't talk too long...will try to check in later.
Love to all of you. Soozie

Wanttolosealot
09-23-2002, 02:37 PM
ellis, Thank you for your encouraging words. Sometimes I really feel like a shmuck, especially when everyone here seem so well educated. I wish I had taken advanced English in school, so I would have greater knowledge of Shakespeare and other great writers. I guess I went with the flow in school, and my other friends took general English so I followed them. I guess if I could get one thing accross to my children, it would be to be a leader and not a follower. I wish so much better for them, and hope they have the priviledge to learn all they can.
I love to read and write poetry. My mom writes poetry which is close to her heart, as do I , but I so love reading her work. SHe is getting on in live, will be 80 in February, and I have asked her to please pass on her poems to me. Since I was little I would curl up in my favorite chair and read each new poem she wrote, and I still go back and read them from time to time. I can not say I have a favorite poet, I like so many different types. I am currently reading The Face of Reason- AN Anthology of Canadian Poetry. My moms friend has a poem published in it entitled The Winter Storm. A funny one I just read which is very short, is called Reincarnation- by Deborah Foley

short
yellow
stumpy
quizzical face, funny face
bark like straw
bite like salt
I swim in the brown orbs

"Grandma," I say
"Is that you?"

"Arf," she says

It is kind of stupid, but funny too. I am not usually drawn to this type, but it struck me funny, and thought I would share.

Live, Love and Laugh

Virginia

Punkinseed
09-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Hey everyone :wave:

I've been enjoying the discussion of "light reading" (ha!) and seeing how wonderfully diverse we all are. That, and it reminds me of high school - I failed drama because he said I "never even tried to act". The funny thing is is that the teacher totally bought the two times I acted - once I was "sick" the other time I had a "dr.'s appt" - when in reality both times I wanted out of class to go suck face with my boyfriend in my car.... must not be TOO bad an actress!
I've always had an appreciation for Shakespeare - I think for his time he was brilliant. I just wish I could understand the way of speaking more - maybe if I started with the sllooooow version of his work??

Wantstoloose - I liked that poem! You're right, it's a little odd, but it strikes a chord...

Love n' hugs to all!

Terri

christinagw@aol.com
09-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Hello Ladies, anyone still here that remembers me? Of course there are a million posts since I have been here last so bear with me if I ask any questions that everyone knows. I am back to stay though now, so look out, those long rambling posts are back! Ok I know that I can't catch up, but I am off to read a few posts to just see who is still here & who is new!

ellis
09-24-2002, 03:32 AM
Virginia, that's so beautiful re: your mom and her poetry. You're really fortunate to be able to share that with her. My mom writes too, and I'm always encouraging her to keep it up. She's close to your mom's age, and I know it'll be a blessing to me to have her stories when she's gone.
And PLEASE!! Do NOT feel like a shmuck anymore! Frankly, I think you're one of the brightest buns in the basket. ;) Education? We SPIT on educated people!

Chris dear... we've all been enquiring about you... of COURSE we missed you! :)

Terri, I like your "acting story". :D

Den, I'm reading "The Collected Stories of Colette". I'm enjoying them. :)

Hey Soozie... get your butt in here.

love and hugs to all ... xoxo

katrinabgood
09-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Hey all...

I'm trying to claw my way up from the pit of despair...coming here and reading all your posts helps...keeps me out of the kitchen for a while, anyway. I'm going to drag my fat arse to the gym too...that also helps.

Welcome back, Christina! I'm so glad to hear things are going well...take it easy, woman!

i'll be back when the St John's Wort kicks in...

Lamorgan
09-24-2002, 11:21 AM
When I'm busy with courses and kids and life in general, I read youth fiction. There are a ton of excellent writers out there... Sharon Creech who wrote The Wanderers and quite a few others and one I just read last week by Celia Rees who wrote Witch Child. I read them and recommend them to my daughter...

During the summer I concentrate on reading mostly Canadian writers, we have so many good ones.

My education is mixed, not one certificate in a bloody thing, but I'm a both smart and wise 40 year old!

My fav Leonard Cohen was Suzanna... or Suzanne. About a river.

Womynspirit is a woman-only festival that takes place in southern Ontario each Samhain (Halloween). It's a gathering of mostly Pagan (but you don't have to be) women, of all ages and very open to the Bisexual/Lesbian community...

I'm not attending this year because it's on the weekend of Nov 1st, my youngest childs 6th birthday.

At Womynspirit there is a Friday night gathering ritual, workshops throughout Saturday and a Sat night ritual, where we usually honour our ancestors and welcome those new births... Sun there is a closing ritual and it all winds up by 2ish.

Workshops vary depending on who attends the festival. They don't hire workshop facilitators, but many registrants will submit workshop ideas like ear candling, or tarot, or journalling, or sacred circle dance... and so on.

Anyway, that's womynspirit. :)

Have a great day to all.... I'm relaxed from Yoga class #2, and going to make some very healthy veg. soup....

Lois

ellis
09-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Kat, do you need a hug? What's the matter... feeling a little depressed? I think it's an epidemic.
Yes, get to the gym... you'll feel good for having gone. And then do something nice for yourself. I can't think of anything... I'm depressed right now, too... and for some reason I've decided to clean the cupboard under the sink... it's full of damned mouse dirt. The first mouse was cute, but we've caught 7 so far, and I've HAD IT!!
Hugs Kat... :grouphug: :df:

Lamorgan
09-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh my! A dragonfly! Bliss. I love them, and think that they must be fairies...

:df: :df: :df:

L

dentrassi
09-24-2002, 11:32 AM
HEY!! When I say light stuff I mean detective novels and Sci Fi!! NOT Dostoyevsky and Shakespeare!!!

Wanttolosealot-I think it is great that you and your Mom write poetry! DH is a writer, and I have written a few poems. Formal education is great as far as it goes, but I think I have learned more just living than I did in college!! I think the important thing is just LEARNING rather than having everything in life just bounce off of you. And PLENTY of "well educated" people are under the misconception that there is nothing else that they can learn!!

Punkin-Your drama teacher reminds me of my 9th grade English teacher. I wrote a stupid poem about ants, and he kept on talking about how "deep" it was!!! Lost respect for him right then and there!!! I still think that watching a film that uses the original language is the best way to get into it. The action suckss you in, and all of a sudden you just understand what they are saying. Then you can go to the play and read it easier. Once you have done that all the other plays are easier too!!!

Christina-WELCOME BACK!!! Glad to hear that things are going well. Don't push yourself too much right now sweetie. You need your strength!!!

Ellis-You are doing better than me in the reading department!!! I finished Frank Zappa's Autobiography a few weeks ago and have been playing computer games ever since!!!!

Katrina-Don't hide because you are feeling bad. NOW is the time to come in and get support. There are a lot of us alternachicks who struggle with depression. Despite my medication I STILL have bouts of it, and coming here can really lift your spirits!!! Hope you start feeling better soon!!!

ellis
09-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Phew! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who reads children's books, Lois! I've got a shipload of them, including a lot of oldies. I love them when I'm stressed and need something familiar and cozy to read (can't read Dostoyevsky ALL the time!). I've got a mixed education with no certificates, too (I'm a two-time college dropout :) ), and I used to NEVER tell anyone about my kids books. Now I feel confident enough not to give a damn.

I think we're ALL pretty wise on this thread. :D

ellis
09-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Yeah, Den... I can TELL you've been playing computer games. What the **** happened to my "long email"?! :lol:
Listen hon, as well as "Colette", I'm reading a VERY light mystery. I have to rotate depending on my mood. :D And mental capacity.

dentrassi
09-24-2002, 11:47 AM
I like kids books too!!! Daniel S. Pinkwater writes some really great stuff.....
"The Haboken Chicken Emergency", "The Last Guru" really fun stuff!! And DH sometimes reads me "Winnie the Pooh" to help me fall asleep!!!

barefootgrrrl
09-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Virginia - That is soooo nice about your mom and poetry. It is something you can treasure and then pass on to your kids. :cloud9: You are so lucky to have that connection with her.

Oh the whole thing about formal education is a bit hooey to me. Just my opinion, but I have spent lots of time both in and out of school - and I think that as long as you keep your mind open, you learn more out on the open road of life. I treasure every moment I spent in school, but mostly because it kept me out of the workforce and hanging with my friends

:lol: deep stuff like literature and psychology and history is cool, but I just as well enjoy watching Wayne's World and listening to Frank Zappa (fellow fan, den!)

oh and I find that people who are self made and self taught and don't take themselves too seriously are always so interesting........but anyway.........

Katrina.... hey girlfriend - here's a big (HUG)... yes, come here to talk to us - don't stay away.

terrigrrrl

Wanttolosealot
09-24-2002, 02:24 PM
YOu guys are the best! BIG HUGS!
THANKS!!
:dancer: :grouphug: :cloud9:
Virginia

Punkinseed
09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Kat, you do sound like you need a big ol' :grouphug:, everything ok?

Dent - I agree, there's something lost in the translation a lot of times when you're not getting the original language. I saw Life Is Beautiful without the english dubbing. I know a smattering of Italian, but even without reading subtitles you *knew* everything... amazing movie.

Chris - It's SO good to see you back! I think we were starting to get a little worried about your disappearance! I'm looking forward to the long rambling posts ;) Welcome back!

Wantstoloose - Erase "schmuck" from your vocabulary of self-describing words. Your poems from your Mom are an immeasurable treasure and much, MUCH more important than anything you'd ever learn in school.

That being said, I shall mosey on back to work.... :wave:

Terri

Lamorgan
09-25-2002, 05:28 AM
I also collect old books... I have a 1913 "Guide to personal purity" (Sex ed!!) Working in a library helps; I get 1st (or 2nd) dibs on discards or ancient donations! Love old books.

Our wee library branch has been eaten by the 'corporation' and all the jobs are being scrambled... I think I'm ok, no lay-offs just hours cut eventually.

I might end up in a better situation but don't want to assume that in case I jinx myself.

Anyone watch Buffy last night???

Tonight Enterprise, and meet the teacher night for both the high school and junior school...

Ah well, must go walk and deliver news...

Lois :df:

katrinabgood
09-25-2002, 03:25 PM
Hey women...

Thanks for the hugs and the concern...not really sure what the **** is bothering me, other than the fact that I am not losing weight, well maybe cuz I'm not trying real hard...so THAT is bothering me. Why am I not trying too hard? I DON"T KNOW...so that's bothering me. Ahhh, I'll get there eventually. I have been exercising again so that helps the mood and the determination...

Thanks again for your concern...it means a lot!

soozie
09-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Christina....welcome back girlfriend! and yes, I agree with everyone who said, take it easy and be kind to yourself...sleep, and good nutrition, and gentle exercise...or not so gentle if you're up to it...but, concentrate on healing and don't pay too much attention to the numbers on the scale...when you attend to your health your weight will be right without even focusing on it. We did miss you. Glad you're back in action.

:df: :df: :yes: Yes, I agree, I love dragon flies and this one is so pretty.

The only thing that I have been reading are your posts!
I read the Harry Potter series and loved it. I read magazines.
Just can't get into books lately...they consume me too much and take too
much of my focus...plus if I'm reading something that I really like, ie, Harry Potter...then I read and read and stay up to all hours of the night saying...just one more chapter, just one more chapter!

I sometimes work on crossword puzzles in bed before I fall asleep...it kind of makes me focus my brain and I've used it as a ritual to make me sleepy...it does work.

I really like poetry too...I took a poetry writing class in college that was taught by the poet Sonia Sanchez. Anybody know her stuff? She was a great teacher. This is a poem that I wrote in her class.

I woke in your bed on that first white morning.
Bay water splashing the tired old beach house
pulled me away from my dreaming.

You sat, on the screen porch
of breezes, of voices,
guitar propped against you, you sang out your songs
to the salt air, to the water, to me.

And I warned you,
don't fall in love with me friend,
forgetting
that I too
could fall.

well girls, gotta go, didn't overeat today...:lol: I guess the being sick and
puking slowed me down a bit... :lol: Unfortunately I missed the gym today...just didn't feel up to it...hope I'm back in the saddle tomorrow.

Love to all of you, Soozie

ellis
09-26-2002, 06:34 AM
Soozie, that's beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hope you're feeling better soon, hon.

Lois, that book sounds like a hoot!

Kat, you're going to exercise today, right? Because you know you'll feel so much better.

xoxo everyone...

Ruthxxx
09-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi Goils!

My company is gone and I spent yesterday afternoon mourning her departure. It is so nice to have a good friend who is also an excellent house guest. My Lucy and HArry are both in love with her.

My operation is tomorrow morning so I won't be posting much for a while. Todayt is going to be a day from **** as I do all the last minute things to get ready. It is also clip Miss Lucy day - the only day the groomer has free for two weeks. She is coming HERE so Lucy will be more relaxed! Oy! There goes the afternoon.

Anyhow, I'll be lurking even if I can't post. Could I maybe post using justthe right side of the keyboard? e ths (That was like this? - guess it wouldn't work too well!

Wanttolosealot
09-26-2002, 07:39 AM
Soozie- Loved your poem, it was beautiful. Sure hope you are feeling better today. Last night was my second trip to the gym and I absolutely love it. It makes me feel so good and i sleep so well. Hope you can get there today and have a good workout.
Ruth- Wishing you the best of luck, good vibes, and a big hug! We will feel you in spirit, even if you can not type. Just get well soon, so we can hear from you again.

And to the rest of you beautiful chicks, have a great day!

Virginia

ellis
09-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Ruth darling... thinking about you tomorrow. Tape a pencil to the end of your nose and use it in place of your bum hand.
Glad you had such a good time with your friend!!
xo

Virginia, isn't the gym just great!!! I love it, too!

soozie
09-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi Girlies, Still feeling a bit funkadelic today. Debating whether or not I can go to work or if I should just cancel my clients and stay in bed. Hate to cancel last minute. We'll see. I have to be in at 2:00pm so I have to make the decision soon.

Ruth, best wishes with your surgery. I like Ellis' idea with the pencil. Or maybe you could work with Lucy today and train her to hit the keys as you speak. That shouldn't be too difficult. Though she is getting groomed today so maybe you won't have enough time to review the whole alphabet.

Virginia, thanks for the gym encouragement. Ellis, are you going to the y today? I do feel so much better when I'm exercising, mentally and physically. However, with this virus or whatever it is I just feel like crawling in bed and not getting out. Then I get so bored I want to accomplish something and then the fatigue hits again. It basically sucks. Hope it's gone by tomorrow.

My DD went to kindergarten today with her little friend and his mom. We started carpooling. It was so bizarre to plop her booster seat into someone else's car and wave goodbye from the driveway. I wanted to call the school and say...Is my baby there? Did she miss me? It was total separation anxiety for ME. I'm sure the kid did fine. As soon as I was walking away from the car I heard her saying, "look Bobby, we have the same booster seat...blah,blah,blah..." The conversation was already going.

Bobby's mom will pick DD up at school today and take DD to the sitter's house. Then I'll see her when I get home from work...if I go to work...would one of you like to fill in for me today? My clients are very lovable people...I'm sure that you'd enjoy talking with them...Ellis???

Ellis, I'm serious about you having a career in counseling. I'll help you get through the college and grad school thing. Just let me know. I only charge a small fee for research assistance. Don't the rest of you think Ellis would be a great therapist. We were all talking about the education thing. Maybe that has got you scared off. I was an chronic underachiever myself and stubborn as heck.

My mother always told me to take commercial courses in high school, you know short hand and typing. She'd say, you'll have something to fall back on. I would say, I'm never going to be someone's bleeping secretary. I did regret not learning typing but as you can see I did learn eventually. Anyway, it took me six years, a number of incompleted courses,thousands of dollars down the drain, academic probation, a minor stint as a fulltime waitress, and a job as a cashier at a convenience store, before I finally finished my undergrad degree with honors in ART!!! Not one math or science on that transcript.

Then it was a number of years before I went back for my master's degree. My master's program was great. IM me if you want details. But, what I'm trying to say is, anything is possible.

I'm rambling on so, gotta go
Love, Soozie

barefootgrrrl
09-26-2002, 04:07 PM
Soozie- hope you feel better soon......

your poem is very beautiful :)

I was wondering what drew you to counseling as a career??

I've been tossing this idea around for awhile and would really appreciate your insight. I am expecting to leave my job field within the next year or so. The time has finally come to do something I really enjoy, not just a job for money.

There are two job-related things I love to do: speaking and teaching Spanish and doing mediation work - so I've thought about either going back to school to get certified to teach high school Spanish or getting a MSW or LCSW (is that what it's called?) to do counseling and/or mediation work.

I've read that in the current environment, many counselors are unable to maintain a private practice since it has become very difficult to receive reimbursement through the managed care companies - or if they do maintain a practice - it has to be in a geographic area where the local population has suffificient means to pay out of pocket. Others have left their practices to become employees of the managed care companies. That last option would be unattractive to me because I'm not thrilled about leaving one company just to become a wage slave to another LOL. I am tired of Corporate America.

My background includes sociology, mediation, law, negotiation, etc. so I've been wondering whether the Courts provide referrals for mediation cases or whether these go to actual attorneys or in the case of family disputes, therapists or counselors?

Given that Spanish is rapidly becoming the second language of this country.....there should be a way to combine all of this.

I don't know - I'm just thinking out loud here.... any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated.

I know how you felt about your DD going to school with a friend. The first time my DD spent the night at a friend's house, I had to be restrained from calling over there.... "will they feed her a good dinner? what if they let their kids watch the wrong things on TV?"
etc. etc.

I thought it would get easier:lol: but what I've found is that these thoughts and feelings remain pretty much the same as time goes on - just the issues change.

That's the nature of parenting I guess :)

Hope you get some rest and again, hope you feel better real soon

terrigrrrl

ellis
09-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Soozie darling, you're very sweet, but I have enough on my plate counseling YOU! :lol: That's a joke... you picked up on that, right hon? :D
No, the education thing doesn't scare me at all. In fact, I determined years ago that I would work towards getting my PHD... no matter how long it took. But now I know I don't need that piece of paper... it wouldn't mean anything to me. I feel great about myself and my achievements. I probably WILL go back to University at some point, but only to fulfill a craving for more English Lit. :)
Anyhow sweetie, ARE YOU NUTS!? I'm mentally ill!! I'd probably go on a rampage and wipe out all my clients!! :lol:
Hey, I understand exactly how you feel about your DD. I used to sit by the phone waiting for the school to call to tell me my children had been involved in some little accident. Everything will be fine. You just have to let go a little and have faith.

Terrigrrrl, you're definitely up for a new job. Good luck on choosing a new career... you've got a lot going for you!

Hi everyone else! Hey! Where's Mauvais? Mauvais honey, are you okay?
xoxo

Sojourner
09-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Well... I am one of those people that will always be in school. I have a BA in political science and will finish a masters in public adminsitration this September... that is... if I ever get my bootie moving on this thesis. Then I will most likely be applying to a doctorate program if I can ever make up my mind about what my speciality will be (urban studies or urban planning or international development or public policy). I love school and am quite the info/research junkie. I just need to focus... which reminds me that I MUST get focused on picking a thesis topic. :( :?:

ellis
09-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Hmmm, we're all a little touchy about the education thing. How about if we all agree... "I'm happy with who I am and with where I'm going in life."? ;)
I love school too, Sojo. I thought I'd be in it forever by choice... I thrive on learning. But I know now that dropping out of two college programs was a result of my being ill, and I've finally accepted that and moved on.
And my life took a different turn (marriage and children), and I had to reassess my priorities. All in all, it hasn't been easy. I come from a family of high-achievers, and mental illness was never an acceptable "excuse" for not becoming a "somebody". ;)
It wasn't until my own daughter tried to commit suicide that my parents changed their attitude.
I DO envy you getting your doctorate. I may change my mind about doing it someday, but for the present, my goals are very different from what they once were. I'm so grateful for all that I have, and I have no regrets. :)

And we insist on you posting your entire thesis once you've completed it. :lol:
Good luck picking a topic, sweetie! If you're looking for suggestions, we wackos are more than willing to help out... :D

Wildfire
09-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Just got in from the big city (Toronto) and am oh, so tired....been on the go since 4:30am....I'm even too tired to find that little yawnie face.

Ruth, I wanted to wish you well with the surgery tomorrow, and let you know I'll be thinking about you and sending oodles of good vibes!

:wave: to everyone else. (I know that smilie.) Good night, Johnboy.

soozie
09-27-2002, 02:03 AM
Hey Ellis...you made me really laugh out loud with that reply!!! Hopefully you wouldn't wipe out all the clients...just the ones who never show up for their appointments and who skip out on their bills. :lol: Glad your family has chilled out and gotten some of their priorities in order! You are a brilliant and valuable woman and you don't need a piece of paper to show that!

So, why counseling? Well, I love people and love to hear their stories, I'm pretty intuitive...usually a good judge of character...I worked with kids for many years...worked at a day care center.
I found, at the center that I was interested in human/child development, the impact of parenting on the kids, the conflicts between staff and administration, the difficulty of training, encouraging and supporting staff. All of the human issues. I admired the psychologist who consulted at the center and learned a tremendous amount watching her work. I often found myself coaching staff, friends, family members and I was in therapy myself for many years and found it to be a valuable and rewarding experience.

I came to a point in my life where I wanted to make a move and was debating between getting an MSW, having a baby, or getting a MFA in Printmaking. It was a tough decision. I had already been a starving artist and thought it would be a nice change to be a starving social worker. Obviously, I did the baby thing later.

I resisted joining any managed care panels early on in my practice. Didn't like the concept, still don't. You're right though, the group that I'm with is located in an upscale suburban area where many clients can pay for therapy or have good insurance with some out of network provision so they get reimbursed for much of the fee.

You could work with a sliding scale fee if you want a more economically diverse client population. I feel very lucky to have been asked to join the group that I'm with...many other folks do rely on managed care and it can be hard to build a fee for service practice.

I would encourage you to go for it if you feel passionate about it. There is always room for excellent clinicians even in a competitive environment. And at least where I live you can make a living doing it...don't expect to get rich though, unless you're Dr Phil or can get a guest spot on Oprah or want to write some self-help books and form your own empire.

Okay, I've been very wordy lately so I'll stop here. Soozie
:wave: goodnight all!

Sojourner
09-27-2002, 02:22 AM
well, this discussion about school has lead me to an educaitonal breakdown of sorts. After all this talk about focusing I just realized that there is no way I will be finished by the end of spring semester and will need to work into the summer. :( I just had a little panic attack and ran up to dh and woke him up from his slumber... literally crying that I will never be able to pick a thesis topic. But now that I have accepted the fact the I will need another term and emailed my professor I am feeling a little better. And really... you would all be bored out of your skulls reading my thesis... the general topic relates to intergovernmental competition between fragmented municipal and suburban governments, resulting inequalities, and possible regional/metropolitan solutions. Not exactly entertaining.

Ellis... I don't think school makes a person successful... everyone defines success for themselves as individuals. Most people think I am nuts for slaving away at this academia. It just happens to be one thing that I am good at and that I love.... academic writing and research. And in a lot of ways it is a means to and end; for me I hope to teach college someday. Everyone needs to follow their own dreams... and whether or not that includes schooling is really irrelavant.

ellis
09-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Sojo, I was teasing you. We have NO desire to read your thesis. ;) Or anyone elses, for that matter.
And you're NOT nuts for wanting to continue your education. There's no better pursuit.
I'm glad you're feeling better about school time-wise. Something that you love so much shouldn't be a cause for stress.

Soozie, you're the BEST counselor I know! Thank you... you always say the right thing. And you're a natural when it comes to nurturing. :df:

Big hugs for Ruth.... Ruth sweetie, we're thinking about you. And listen, with only one hand... that means you only put HALF as much as usual in your mouth, right?
And you've still got two feet, so WALK girl!! :grouphug:

Where's Dentrassi? And Mauvais?
xoxo

ellis
09-27-2002, 08:21 AM
And WHERE is Squeak?

ellis
09-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Ummm, I just got back from seeing my psychologist, and I have an apology to make. I am too sensitive, and it's my own problem and I have to deal with it. So humble apologies to Soozie for my having taken your compliment the wrong way and to Sojo for getting defensive about my not going back to school.
:stress: I'm sorry. waaaaaaaaaa!
hugs...

Sojourner
09-27-2002, 01:55 PM
I hope I didn't say anything to offend you. I was really just thinking about myself (typical) when I started blabbing about my educational pursuits and had no idea that this was a sensitive topic for anybody. I was just sharing about myself and never meant it to reflect on anyone else. I'm very sorry Ellis... after you posted I had the sense that something wasn't quite right. Its amazing how we can interpret things in ways that were never intended. I have been known to take comments and personalize it to mean something negative about myself... I hope this wasn't the case. I have a lot of self doubts too and struggle with depression, as I have mentioned before. School is the one thing I usualy feel pretty confident about, so I guess I jump at the chance to share with others my achievements in this area. There are so many other areas of my life in which I feel like a failure, especially recently. Again, sorry for any misunderstandings.

:sorry:

You know, its really amazing how friendships develop over the internet and how you begin to care about people whom you have never met. I guess this is my way of saying that I do care about you Ellis and would never say anything to intentionally hurt you or anyone else here. :) And don't ever believe that you are too sensitive... sometimes we sensitive types just need a little reminder that we can interpret and personalize things in ways never intended. Sensitivity is a gift... it gives us compassion and understanding and empathy and intuition and lets us touch the hearts and souls of those around us in ways that others are not able.

ellis
09-27-2002, 02:41 PM
waaaaaaaaaaah! You're so sweet you're making me cry.
I care about you too, Sojo.
Yes, it's a sensitive topic for me, and for some ridiculous reason I always expect everyone to know my deepest thoughts. :rolleyes:
I come from an entire family of teachers, and for years I felt such a failure. And VERY touchy when anyone would broach the subject. I seriously considered getting my teaching degree a few years ago just to make everyone else happy.
But the last few years my father has been saying (behind my back, because he's not good at communicating) that I've got more brains than anyone else in the family, and THAT has made me feel on top of the world. :)
Obviously I don't have a good handle on my feelings though, because as soon as everyone here started talking education I began to get panicky again, and thought, "Okay, I'm on meds now... I can do it. I'll go back to school and get a degree or two JUST so that people won't suspect I'm a failure." DUH!!

Today was supposed to be my last appointment with my psychologist. :lol: Last session we decided that I "had it all together", but we've made another appointment for next month.
Phew! Talk about back-sliding!

Sojo, I'm so glad that you love school and that you feel so confident in that area. I envy you your endeavors... you have every reason to feel good about yourself, and not just in that respect! You're a wonderful person, and don't you forget it!
hugs...

barefootgrrrl
09-27-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking I need to jump in here so I can feel the love toooo:twirly:
Oh Ellis - I hug your big brain and have always been fascinated by all your literature knowledge and all sorts of life wit and wisdom. I know this sounds corny - but to my way of thinking, we almost never find "success" through the traditional measuring sticks - degrees, cars, jobs, glamorous duds and all that stuff.

It seems many of us have an achilles heel - I know for me, school has been a place where I could find refuge - a place where I could just nerd out and find success - but if you were to put me in a bikini on the beach - I would run behind the nearest tree . If I had to go to tryouts for a sports team - I would be so self-conscious *and I have always been this way* even when I weighed 130 lbs and most of it was muscle. Can we say body image problems? When I comes to losing weight, I've always failed at every program I tried.

I will live long enough to wear a thong, I just don't know how long it will take!:lol:

Sojo - ok, now my idea of entertainment comes into question - I think your thesis topic sounds quite interesting....... :) how do you do the research for that?

have a great weekend grrrlfriends - terrigrrrl

mauvaisroux
09-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi chickquitas! :)

I am still around. I have just been too tired to post for the last couple of days. All this talk of education...I don't have a degree and worked in retail as a sales person, then manager, then buyer and merchandiser. Then I had a retail burnout moment and quit retail to become a receptionist, I went through a few jobs and got some experience and worked my way up to being a legal assistant with no fromal training or education. A lot of people I have worked with in retail over the years had degrees of some sort and weren't working in the field they studied for. In life anything can happen.

I find that all of the women here are funny, intelligent, and caring.
When Sojo brought up the bit about internet friendships I thought "yeah, and I have met some really great people here who are nicer than some of the people I know face to face where I live".

So big hugs to all of you for being the kind of people you are!
:df:

Ruthxxx
09-28-2002, 08:18 AM
If I live to be 100 (only 37 more years), I will never be able to catch up on the threads in this forum.

As you can see, I'm back and I can type! Don't ever let anybody freak you out about this pissy little wrist operation! Sure I have a fair amount of pain but I have good drugs and I can use my fingers on the right hand. After the op, I took a pain killer and Harry and I went to lunch at Portland. I could use my right hand to drink wine and snitch some of his chips. Then I came home and had a three hour nap. The biggest problem I have is keeping Lucy from removing my bandages! (Maybe I should let her do it Sunday afternoon?)

Thanks for all the good vibes and spells and prayers.

Now I am going to see if I can hem a pair of slacks with my gimpy hand. I also have to go do the moderator thing on the low-carb board. I must say the posts in here are way more interesting!

Love youse, as they say around here.

Wanttolosealot
09-28-2002, 08:46 AM
HEY Ruth,
Wow, it is great to hear from you so soon. I thought you would be gone for awhile until you figured out some way to type. Don't overdo it though. Stay away from household chores, let hubby do them, but do stay in contact with us.
Mauvaisroux- I agree with you totally! As we all have agreed education is a very good thing,but it does not nessecarily have to be of the formal type. And as for friendships on the net, I dont think I could have met a nicer, funnier or more intelligent group of ladies if I handpicked them myself.
Each and everyone of you girls have your own opinions, feelings, and most certainly your own way of caring and sharing. I stumbled into this group by accident, but unless someone kicks me out, I will enjoy the privilege of calling you friends.
Enough sappy stuff! Hugs to all!

Virginia

ellis
09-28-2002, 09:05 AM
Ruth, you're killin' me. :lol: Ummm, listen hon, I don't think you're supposed to drink wine with pain killers. :D

Terrigrrrrl, you're such a sweetheart... thank you.
And you CAN do it! You're going to lose it, and then you'll have NO achilles heel!

Sojo, how about doing your thesis on thongs? I keep getting those mixed up with Tongs. Which ones do you wear on your feet?

Mauvais, I agree with you on the friends thing. Most of my "face-to-face friends" I'd trade in a minute with any one of you.

Okay, let's all kick Virginia out. ;) Virginia, we LOVE you!!

I don't know about the rest of you girls, but Ruth seems to be doing a heck of a lot more with a gimpy wrist than I can do without one! And she's only 37 years away from a hundred! NO! You're NOT 63!! Hey, I'm 63 years away from a hundred. :)

My gosh... my furnace just kicked on...

We've got house guests. My hoot of a sister-in-law and a nephew. And two ruddy dogs. One of whom promptly pooped three times when it entered my house. Curses.

squeaker
09-28-2002, 08:53 PM
I am glad your operation went well Ruthxxx, I guess this means you won't be chickening out of having the other one. :)
37 years from 100?? um, I am almost 75 years from 100....

I am glad I am not the only one that finds you girls much better then a large number of the "real people" I know. I guess it would be too much to have all of us wonderful ladies living all in the same place. ;)

Ellis - hun you are smart weither you have graduated or not! ****, you are smarter then a number of people I know that have degrees. And I just noticed the "Where is squeak?" message. hehe

My head has been off in another world most of this week. I feel like :censored: both mentally and phyiscally. I hate this weather. It either has to get cold and stay colder or be warm and stay warm. I am back to taking Sudafed. And I haven't been sleeping for very long, a few hours then I am awake for a little while. As for mentally work has done a number on my brain, and on my emotions. There is a ton of stuff to get done in the next few months, and there is still no help in sight. I may get to go on a 1 day training class which will be nice. But that is if my boss manages to approve my travel expences while there is still room left in the class. For some unknown reason my boss has picked me to do the company's W-2s (they are the equivalent to T-4s for you Canadians :)), which scares the living daylights out of me. The women who had done them for years left our dept, and has since passed away. But now no one knows what has to be done. For the first meeting about them, which involved setting deadlines and a confrence call to people outside the company, my boss was no where to be found. GRRRRR. There is just so much stuff to get done and I am not suppose to work overtime either. No more $ in the budget. I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown before the next 6 months are through.

I hope everyone else is having a better time then me :)
And I promise to actually post more often this week.

ellis
09-29-2002, 07:17 AM
Squeak darling, welcome back you sweet old thing. Thank you for the lovely compliment. :)
You're right... it's probably as well that we don't all see each other face to face on a regular basis....
"Gee, that Ellis isn't too bad on the forums, but when is she going to brush her hair?"
Hey, don't forget... you can only do what you've been hired to do. If they can't pay you overtime it's not your responsibility to overextend yourself to make the company successful. It's just a job. Don't lose your mind over it. You're far too important to a LOT of people, including us!

Hugs to everyone... :grouphug:

Ruthxxx
09-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Just for the record, everyone, Ellis has lovely hair and does brush it. It is gorgeous hair! Even better than my daughter's hair - well, maybe not!

Squeak, I used to work for Revenue Canada and know those little forms are tricky. Too damned bad your predecessor croaked - maybe they should dig her up to help you?

I do agree on Internet Friendships. When you actually meet some of these people IRL, you can just carry on with the friendship. I've met about 30 folk from the net - maybe more - and feel I am close friends with most of them.

I have had only one lousy experience with a Net "friend" - she lives in Kingston which is close to here and we met a couple of times. It did not take long for me to realize she was a snob (talked UEL and DAR a lot) and managed snide little put-downs. After three of those, I canned the friendship. She also had a back yard full of dog poop and took you on snooty garden tours through the ****-field with no apologies or warnings. No class! Knowing the Latin names for plants does not make you a class act! (Her Latin pronunciation was awful, says snobby Ruth!)

I looooove drugs! Forgot my pain killer last night at bedtime (bad evening with furnace problems) and woke in agony at 1. Popped a couple of pills (on an empty tummy), went back to sleep and woke at 6 a.m. I did NOT throw up either. Now I need to figure out the schedule for the rest of the day. Antibiotic at 6, breakfast at 7:30, next dose at 12 and wait two frigging hours for lunch!!! No way! Antibiotic at 11? Hmmm - means I need to eat a wee something at 10 if I'm gonna take a pain killer then. THIS IS TOO FRIGGING DIFFICULT! Unfortnately I do still have a decent appetite. :shrug:

My nurse pal Claire is coming at 10 to do the Great Unveiling per the surgeon's orders. If the incision is yicky looking, I'll have to figure out some chic way to cover it - would not want to lose my appetite. Anyone have a Hermes scarf I could borrow?

Harry is being a sweetie although he cooked an absolutely terrible dinner last night. He discovered a "Make it with Soup" recipe book and did a dish with cream of celery soup. You'd think after all these eyars he would know I detest cooked celery - and turnip and parsnip.

Gotta go and shove my boobs into a bra - hooking at the front works really well and the Girls settle down nicely after the Twirl.

Happy Sunday, everyone.

katrinabgood
09-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Ruthxxx...God, you're funny...is it the drugs? Anyway, glad to have you back among us...

I guess I'll go shove MY boobs into a bra and get on with the day!

Hi to everyone!

squeaker
09-29-2002, 10:18 AM
It's the weekend - my boobs don't get shoved into a bra. Unless I have to go somewhere & look respectable. Otherwise they go free. :lol:

ellis
09-29-2002, 10:44 AM
Oh my gosh... you free girls, you. I wear a bra 24 hours a day. Something about being British and uptight...

barefootgrrrl
09-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Ruth - glad to see you're back with us and hanging in there :)

I do have to ask you a question - the snooty Internet friend who talked about UEL and DAR? what are UEL and DAR?

I have a feeling that if I were to meet you all in person, we'd have a great time.......Many of my closest friends in real life don't live anywhere near here, so I appreciate the connection. Unfortunately right now - my husband and I are economic immigrants - so we live in a part of the U.S. which is transient and most people only come here to work like crazy, then take their money and leave for friendlier, more laid back places.

Squeak - I've been in similar situations on my job - hang in there and I'm here if you ever feel the need to talk about it.

Ok, boob talk :lol: I've always been a free spirit......when I was a teenager my mom told me that one day I would live to regret it.....I think she called it "the droops" he he.

Well, I need a lift, but I don't think it's from twenty years of free spiritedness - I think that gaining and losing weight a few times will do it to you. note to self: make this time the last time :lol:

terrigrrrl

Ruthxxx
09-29-2002, 03:33 PM
UEL stands for United Empire Loyalists - the Americans who came to Canada during the American Revolution - most settled around here. DAR is Daughters of the American Revolution - I guess that's the opposite. It used to be a big deal around here to put UEL after your name if you were a UEL descendant. What a bunch of snobs!

mauvaisroux
09-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Hey fab femmes! :D

Glad that everyone is doing well,except you poor little Squeak-things will get better :goodvibes

Ruthxx-glad to hear that your operation went well and you are still with us :)

UEL :p what's that pompous royalist :censored:??!!!?? I'm more British than they are :lol:

:yawn: I am pooped and must go to bed now...

Have a great night everyone!

dentrassi
09-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Ruth-Glad to hear that you are healing so well!!!

soozie
10-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Ruth...too funny girlfriend...ROTFPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!! a mine-field in the backyard of a pompous ***...too funny...and you're hemming a pair of pants one handed...no you are not even doing that...are you???? My DP has been waiting two months or more for me to hem a pair of her pants for work...I just pinned them up this weekend and still have to do them...hope your gimpy sewing inspires me.

Sorry I haven't written too much girls. My computer was down one night and last night I went to bed at 9:30 with the peanut...fell asleep telling her a bedtime story and slept through the night. Guess I needed it. Too many threads to catch up on now or I'll be up all night tonight.

Love you and I'll be at the gym tomorrow...again...still fat though, don't worry. Soozie

ellis
10-01-2002, 05:51 AM
I'll be at the gym tomorrow...again...still fat though, don't worry.
:lol: You've hit it right on the head, Soozie. Let's all get slim TOGETHER! (except for Mauvais and Christina, who are already skinny-minnies.... hmmm, I think I know why that is... do you know why, Ruth?)

Lil' Den, where oh where have you been? Making fabulous jewelry? No, let me guess... you've been exercising! What's happening with those stomach crunches, hon? It's no damned good if you only do them once a week. (don't worry, I'm still fat too, heh heh)

Gee Ruth, what could be worse than coming to Canada during the American Revolution. (coming BEFORE the American Rev) And DAR? Geepers, that could mean anything! Who's your mamma? Who's your papa?
How's the wrist? Sewing much? Still doing the drugs?

Speaking of hemming pants, when we bought our first house 10 years ago we moved with a large box full of "mending to do". When we moved and bought THIS house 4 years ago, the box came with us. I've still got it. Untouched by human hands. Full of unhemmed pants.

Soozie, have you ever tried a stapler?

Wanttolosealot
10-01-2002, 06:20 AM
:o Its so good to know I am not the only one with a box of pants to hem and sleeves to shorten. I too am very guilty of that. I absolutely hate hemming. But one of these days, they will get done!:lol:
Virginia

ellis
10-01-2002, 06:29 AM
You know, Virginia, I was sort of thinking maybe I should just throw the whole damned box out without looking at it. Or maybe I should open the box and have a good laugh. There's probably nothing in there that we want (or that fits) anymore. :lol:

Wanttolosealot
10-01-2002, 06:32 AM
Ellis you are probably right! May just do the same myself.
Virginina

soozie
10-01-2002, 08:33 AM
Never tried the stapler but have used double stick tape!!!! :lol:
Love, Soozie

Ruthxxx
10-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Hope nobody objects but we need a new thread! I'll start it but won't split off the October posts into it until I get the word from Mauvais.

Mauvais!
Want me to split the thread?