Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Healthiest breads

View Full Version : Healthiest breads

smoochie3
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I love bread, it would be so hard to give it up, what are some of the healthiest breads out there? I shop at Walmart so my choices are probably limited.

tigger175
02-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I buy at Walmart Oroweat double fiber bread. One slice has:

Calories 70 Calories from Fat 10
------------------------
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 160mg 7%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 16g 5%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Sugars 2g
Protein 3g 6%
--------------------------
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 10%
Iron 6%
Vitamin D 20%
Thiamin (B1) 4%
Riboflavin (B2) 2%
Niacin (B3) 8%
Folic Acid (Folate) 10%

It i s very fulling and helps me get my daily fiber.

oodlesofnoodles
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I dunno, I tried that double fiber bread and it wasn't my cup of tea. It tasted funny to me.

I like Sara Lee DeLIGHTful bread. It's 90 cals for 2 slices, 5 g fiber, and only 1 WW point. It tastes nummy. It's a normal sized loaf. They have white and whole wheat I think. It's at Walmart, sometimes 2 for $5 in which I buy 2 and freeze one lol.

jennsreadytolose
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, not sure how healthy it is but I eat Nature's Own 100% whole wheat bread. The first ingredient is stone ground whole wheat flour, I am assuming that's good. I doubt that I'd be able to give up bread though.

s rosa
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I like sarah lee's 100% whole grain bread. It's only 45 calories a slice and it doesn't taste like cardboard, which is a big + for whole grain bread for me.

BigDaddy
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
All I buy anymore are the orowheat sandwich thins. I'm sure they have them at walmart, but i dont go there so i cant guarantee it. They are tasty cold or toasted, have 1 ww point for both halves and are round (great for turkey burgers:) )

DaisyNicole
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, not sure how healthy it is but I eat Nature's Own 100% whole wheat bread. The first ingredient is stone ground whole wheat flour, I am assuming that's good. I doubt that I'd be able to give up bread though.

That is also what we eat in my house. The good thing about Nature's Own is NO High Fructose Corn Syrup!

LindseyLouWho
02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I used to eat the Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Wheat for a while at 50 cals a slice. Right now, I eat Martin's 100% Whole Wheat Potato Bread at 70 calories a slice, since it's got protein and 4 grams of fiber a slice. They have it at my Walmart here, but I know they're a regional bakery, so it's probably not available in your area.

Morgan03
03-09-2010, 04:33 AM
I don't eat much bread any more, but when I do I go for sprouted. It's the only kind I've found that doesn't have any sugar or honey added. I mostly eat the Trader Joe brand, but I believe most major grocery chains carry Ezekiel by the Food For Life Baking Co.

MindiV
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I dunno, I tried that double fiber bread and it wasn't my cup of tea. It tasted funny to me.

I like Sara Lee DeLIGHTful bread. It's 90 cals for 2 slices, 5 g fiber, and only 1 WW point. It tastes nummy. It's a normal sized loaf. They have white and whole wheat I think. It's at Walmart, sometimes 2 for $5 in which I buy 2 and freeze one lol.

This is what we get too...we try to buy in bulk at Walmart and freeze it for coming weeks, since we try to shop once a month and Walmart is 40 miles away. At our local grocery store it's $3.50 per LOAF for the stuff...But we like it a LOT!

Passionista
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Ezekiel breads are the 'healthiest' in my opinion. http://www.foodforlife.com/sprouted-grain-difference/ezekiel-4-9.html

nelie
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I've been price comparing recently and Whole Foods seems to have the cheapest price on sprouted grain breads. $3.29/loaf versus $3.89+ at Trader Joe's or elsewhere.

Asherdoodles87
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I eat Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread. It's 70 calories for a slice, but I love the taste. It's not very expensive. I might give the Sara Lee DeLIGHTful bread a try. It sounds good.

Passionista
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I've been price comparing recently and Whole Foods seems to have the cheapest price on sprouted grain breads. $3.29/loaf versus $3.89+ at Trader Joe's or elsewhere.It's the exact opposite here! TJ's is cheaper, especially for their version of sprouted breads.

nelie
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
It's the exact opposite here! TJ's is cheaper, especially for their version of sprouted breads.

That is weird! I went to Trader Joe's and saw the price of the bread and didn't buy it because Whole Foods was cheaper.

missyRxOx
03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
i've cut down A LOT of bread.. that and pasta used to help me gain weight.. but now i make sandwiches for school/work and i use the wonder+ whole wheat bread.. 2 slices is 160 calories and only 2.5g fat. compared to some other whole wheat breads, this is less in fat & calories! plus the slices are thick and always so soft!!

AnnieDrews
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I thought I would drop in this thread and tell you all about the Oroweat Whole Grain Double Fiber English Muffins I found yesterday at the store. They taste very good, too!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 muffin (59g)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount per Serving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Sodium 280mg 12%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 27g 9%
Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Sugars 5g
Protein 4g 8%

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
Iron 6%
Thiamin (B1) 8%
Riboflavin (B2) 4%
Niacin (B3) 10%
Folic Acid (Folate) 4%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 8.2% Carbs 98.2%
Protein 14.5%

grrlscout
03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Our standard commercial breads are the Sara Lee Soft n Smooth 100% whole wheat, and the Sara Lee 100 cal mini bagels (good with neufchatel and turkey sausage!).

But I'm trying to bake more of our breads. I've made a few No-Knead and Almost No-Knead breads, that came out quite tasty.

However, the fam is looking for something more "loafy". I got some sourdough starter, and managed to make english muffins (part whole wheat) with it last night. Next time, I'll try using it for some loaves.

Homemade may have more calories, but at least I know exactly what's in them.

azmom
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I also eat the Eziekiel, sprouted grain bread...lowest in sodium too. Have ya looked at your bread's sodium content lately? Yikes!!