Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Default I hate going out to eat

There I've said it. I hate checking the menu like I'm walking through a minefield. I hate spending 5 minutes explaining how I want something cooked and then having it come out swimming in oil anyway. I'm not the kind of person who has to micro-manage every detail of the meal--oh, wait yes I am and I don't want to be like that. Restaurants of America--you've made me become someone I don't recognise.

I used to go out to eat at the drop of a hat and now when my husband suggests going out, I say I'll cook instead. Which makes him grumpy because I don't cook the way I used to. And I hate watching him consume 2500-3000 calories in a restaurant. If I tell him what he is taking in, I'm being judgemental and if I keep my mouth shut how is he to know how bad it is? So that makes me grumpy.

Rant over. I went out to dinner for my birthday last night and I really didn't want to and I didn't have a good time. (I didn't choose the place.)
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  
Out is Through

I know exactly how you feel, especially because going out to eat is a horrible trigger for me and I usually go off plan afterward. I hate not knowing the exact nutritional information for everything I eat, and the outrageous sodium content in everything drives me bonkers!
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You didn't choose the place??? On your birthday??? Wth?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ya, how come you didn't get to pick for your birthday??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY BTW!!!

I'm a renegade, I LOVE going out to eat!! yay! I love the ritual of getting together with a group of friends, and I don't really care what I eat (i don't mean I don't care as in I'll get something horrible LOL) I mean, practically everywhere has a big salad with grilled chicken. Done! Or a small steak with veg on the side, done! Clear soup and salad for lunch, or even a lean roast beef sandwich is ok. It's too much fun going out to not go???? now i"m sad
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I completely understand. I have been to two restaurants since I started losing weight. Both times I didn't want to go... but the first time my step-dad insisted he was taking us out to eat when we came to visit (I did ask if my mom and I could cook together and he said he wanted to treat myself and my husband). The second time was also with my mom and step-dad, but for her birthday so she chose where she wanted to go. I tread carefully both times, but I much prefer to just eat at home where I can prepare what I want, the way I want it.

ps - Happy belated Birthday!!

Last edited by stargzr; 02-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #6  

Happy Birthday!

That's a bummer that you didn't even get to choose on your own birthday, even if you didn't want to go out, if you wanted to stay in and cook, your choice!

I'm like the previous poster, I love going out to eat. Maybe that's my problem One trick I use it to pick something out and ask for a to go box right away. I put half of it in the box and I eat some. I tend to share my meal with my son, so I never eat half alone anyway. I know that it may not be the best for me, but cutting it in half right of the bat is better for me.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #7  
poco a poco

We went to a place my husband had been wanting to try and hadn't been able to get to (because I kept planning/cooking) so I gave in.

He hates any fuss or bother so after I detailed how to cook my order, I didn't want to embarass him by sending it back. So I just ate the bare minimum I could get by with and hit the gym for a good workout this morning.

Maybe the whole reason for my rant is that I am STARVING even after eating my regular breakfast. I'm going to go eat some greek yogurt and maybe I'll feel better.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Nada, I agree. I used to love going out to eat, and now I don't enjoy it much. What's discouraging is that a lot of restaurants have so few decent choices on the menu, and why is that? A lot of times even the "good" choices are altered in such a way that they aren't good any more.

I MUCH prefer the food I cook at home-- it's not just healthier, it's MUCH tastier.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Happy birthday!

See now I'm a total brat and I would have said "It's my birthday I'll do what I want". I agree with you on hating going out to eat. My hubby is fully anticipating going rock climbing or some other thing on my birthday instead of the traditional 2-3 meals in restaurants. I've had waiters look at me like I'm nuts when I ask how things are cooked, ask if they can steam my veggies instead of using oil, etc. I don't know if it's because I still have a ways to go and they are wondering what the fat girl is doing playing at healthy, if they wonder why I didn't just stay home if I didn't want their food their way, or what. Then half the time it comes out wrong. My hubby doesn't say anything, but I know he is slightly embarrassed by my sending things back. There was one restaurant (lucky for him, hubby was not there) that got my order wrong 3 times. I finally told them, nevermind, just remove it from the bill. They tried to argue about that, but I won. There are a couple places I can go that I know they will do what I ask or that I know of things that are healthy enough to get straight off the menu. If I am stuck going somewhere else then I do like Trazey and stick to salad and chicken or something similar. I'd much rather just stay home with my chicken, turkey, foreman grill, and veggie steamer bowl.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I haven't been going out to restaurants too much but I try to not get overly obsessed when I do. I do my best to order healthy but I worry more about limiting portion sizes, which I can control, than getting too caught up in having them cook things a special way.

One big difference is that I used to love bringing home leftovers. But now I generally don't - I don't mean I eat my whole meal if it's a big portion, I still focus on the amount I eat. But I just leave the rest (and have the waiter clear my place if I think I will keep eating) because I'd rather not have a second meal of food I didn't prepare myself and which may have hidden oils or butter, etc. So I let myself enjoy the one portion out, but not keep going from there and repeating it the next day.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

Happy birthday!!!

I love going out to eat. I share a lot with my boyfriend (who can eat and eat and it goes nowhere... ugh) and also take at least half home. I also try and find something that is more health conscious than a giant burger or something of that nature. Getting a take home box right away is really helpful to keep me from picking at my food while waiting for the box.

Maybe your hubby has it out of his system and won't want to go again for a while. He needs a friend he can meet for lunch or something if he feels the need to go out to eat so you can stay back and eat what you prefer the way you prefer it.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #12  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I don't really care to go out either, but it has happened a few times. It is scary...I live where salmon and halibut abound, and the halibut is ALWAYS fried and put in a fish-n-chips basket unless you're at an outrageous restaurant. The salmon is kind of hit-or-miss how it is prepared. Usually I end up with a salad of some kind, which is okay, but I could have done that at home for less money.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #13  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

Happy Birthday!

I feel your pain, my friends give me an eye roll and say I make them feel bad for ordering my food without oil, salt or extra seasoning with everything on the side but no bread, cheese,croutons or bacon. Substitute the bad with steamed veggies . Drink water or unsweet tea. But its my health and body so they can stick it!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #14  
poco a poco

I know, I don't want to be picky, finicky or demanding. I just want to live in a world where you can order a meal in a restaurant and get a sensible portion of healthy food without a lot of fuss and bother. Sigh. So where do I have to move?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Well, today is my birthday and I LOVE going out to eat! Most places are very nice about fixing things to suit me and I can almost always get a lean protein (fish right now), some veggies, and a salad. Or a cup of soup and a salad. Or I share something with DH. I'm thinking the Bonefish Grill for tonight. Grouper or trout sounds good.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote