Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #1  
cher37

Unhappy Got the Flu - Now can't stand the thought of eggs

Ok - I know it's mind over matter, but listen, I for one HATE having the flu (specifically vomitting) & seeing as how I got hit with it this weekend & only consumed 10 crackers & ginger ale yesterday - the VERY thought of eating eggs again is enough to send me back to the toilet

Help!!! Any suggestions to help me stay on track

/cheryl
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I have never had the flu and am not able to throw up so forgive me if this advice is totally off base. How about some broth, cottage cheese with SF jello or peanut butter and wasa? I don't know what stage you are in but I do believe that is all acceptable post-induction.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #3  
cher37

Well, I'm well past my 2 week induction, but am still following induction rules.

First off - when I say that I HATE being sick, I mean it - I have only vommitted now 8 x's in my life - 2 x's being when I was pregnant (let's face it, I'm stubborn! LOL)

Thanks for the suggestions, broth (very weak) sounds like the only thing I could probably stomach eating! I'll try that tomorrow for lunch

... any suggestions for breakfast?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are so many low-carb foods that are not eggs. It may help to think outside the box here, and remember that you don't hav to have "breakfast food" for breakfast.

My husband and I are both on disability for health issues, and there are times when neither of us are up to much cooking. Hubby has a very sensitive stomach all of the time (a reaction to some of his meds) and I have a faulty immune system, so I get a lot of colds and flus. We eat soups, stews, and pot roasts for breakfast often (even when we're not sick), because the easiest way and time to cook is in the crock-pot while we're sleeping. Even if we both feel horrible, we can usually manage putting something simple in the crockpot.

Soups are great, both when you're sick and afterward when your stomach isn't back to normal, yet. You'll proably want to keep it simple to start (a low-carb chili wouldn't be my first choice).

One of my favorites, especially when I'm sick is the traditional chicken soup.
I cook turkey, chicken or beef (pieces or browned ground chicken, turkey, or beef) in the crockpot with broth broth from a can and sometimes a bit of canned tomato or V-8 juice or diced tomatoes, and add a bit of soup base (powdered bouillon). If hubby and I are both feeling cruddy, I don't even bother with veggies, otherwise I chop up some veggies or pour some fresh and/or frozen veggies in th food processor and chop or even puree (Maybe I'm weird, but if I'm queasy, "chunks" of vegetable don't seem appetizing at all, but tiny pieces are fine).

When I use chicken pieces, I don't even bother deboning before or after cooking. I just cook the whole pieces in the broth, and when it's time to serve, put a piece in my bowl, and pour the broth over the top. I eat the chicken and any larger veggies ith a fork, and sip the broth.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  

oh cher! sorry you are sick I don't really have anything to suggest as when I'm nauseated I can't eat eggs either and meats are hard to digest during that time. I agree with the broth though. Maybe you can have your doc call in some Phenergan gel? Hope you feel better soon girl!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher37 View Post
Ok - I know it's mind over matter, but listen, I for one HATE having the flu (specifically vomitting) & seeing as how I got hit with it this weekend & only consumed 10 crackers & ginger ale yesterday - the VERY thought of eating eggs again is enough to send me back to the toilet

Help!!! Any suggestions to help me stay on track

/cheryl
I just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I hate eggs.
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Cher....so sorry you are sick.

Listen, if you are feeling nauseated and queasy, I would not even attempt to eat much beyond broth, soup, ginger-ale, etc. until you are feeling better. With any type of flu regarding stomach/GI issues, they recommend clear liquids (fat-free), graduating to low-fat full liquids and then to low-fat, mild solids. Stick with low-fat bland foods when you graduate to solids.

Now...having eating crackers is gonna set you back, induction/ketosis-wise BUT, you are sure to drop some pounds just from being sick and not eating much. It will likely be very easy for you to go right back into ketosis once you feel much better and go back to induction rules.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote