Calorie Counters - What do you do to make air popcorn edible?

dolphinea
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Is it just me, or is plain air popped popcorn totally gross?

I'm so used to my Extra Movie Butter mini bags, in the microwave, I may just go back to them, and 140 calories be damned. I won't eat it as much, that's all.

But there's got to be tricks to make the air popped stuff taste great, right? Right??

eratosthanes
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Um, I like red curry powder and a spritz of olive-oil Pam.

You could also try garlic and onion powder with said spray, and a small sprinkle of salt.

Yep, air-popped is gross, and needs a little fat, but the spray will take care of it.

(Edit: Just spray popcorn lightly, sprinkle with seasonings, toss in a bag and shake) (other edit: someone on another thread said a sprits of oil is 4 cal, so add that, I guess)

lizard58
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
cinnamon and splenda is nice for a kettle corn-ish taste.

kaplods
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't like the texture of air-popped popcorn, but I also don't like the trans fats in the microwave popcorn.

Instead, hubby and I have been eating old-fashioned, pop-on-the-stove-top-in-a-covered-kettle popcorn. Hubby weighs the popcorn and measures the oil so we have an accurate calorie/carb count, and we figure it into our respective food plans (a lot easier than it sounds, because you only have to do the math once).

mulder1921
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I do the same thing as kaplods. It doesn't take much oil at all to make MUCH better tasting popcorn.

Mariella
02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah the olive oil sprays work well. Also - parmesan and pecorino romano cheeses do not have many calories per tbspn full - and pack a lot of flavor. I sprinkle some of that on. There's Molly McButter Cheddar Sprinkles too - they're pretty tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/Molly-McButter-Natural-Cheese-Sprinkles/dp/B000PEDTSQ

Gretchenpdx
02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
A little melted butter (like 1 tsp) and a lot of fresh ground pepper + a little ground salt = mmmmmmmmmmm!

eviemc
02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I am not a huge fan either, I usually opt for the 100 calorie bags since the time that I eat popcorn is when I am snacky. It is fast and I am more likely to eat it and not "try" something else.

silverstars
02-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I also opt for the 100 calorie bags because you get a ton of popcorn!!

For air popped popcorn though, I put either seasoning salt or a small shake of popcorn flavouring (20 cals for a teaspoon)

ValentineNicole
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I do the little 100 calories Orville Reddenbacher bags. They're delicious, and you get a pretty decent serving for low calories.

When I want a little something special (this may sound weird!), I add some McCormick Gourmet Seasoning salt - which is just garlic, salt, and celrey seed. Just a little bit is a lot of flavor. And sometimes, I'll even add a little fresh grated parmesan. Its great if I want a quick, light snacky food. :-)