Momentum / Flex - Weight Watchers without the meetings

RockerMommy
02-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok, so here is how I HOPED to work weight watchers and was hoping for input and advise.
My Mother-in-law joined weight watcher and I was kinda planing to just ride the coat tails due to lack of money. What I mean by this is Iplan to follow the program through their products (ie. scales calculaters ect.) But cant really afford the perks (meetings, ww online ect) Has anyone else tried this? was it successful?

duckyyellowfeet
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
This is just what I've been doing. I have my mom's really old WW points system and have been successful without the meetings or really ever having "proper" WW info.
While I do think you need to find another mode of support, i'm convinced you can do it without the meetings

Tudor Rose
02-21-2010, 08:36 AM
That's exactly what I've been doing, too, for the past seven months. I had done WW before years ago, so I already knew the basic principles of how it worked and counting points.

ducky is right though, while you don't need to go to any meetings, it works better if you have a support system. I've found that here on this message board.

RockerMommy
02-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks girls! I am sure I have found a great support sysytem on this site

Robinegg
02-21-2010, 02:34 PM
That is what I am doing right now. I personally think that the meeting are there for questions and support. Well you can always have your Mother-in-law ask the questions for you and you have support right here.

Latinhoney
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Rocker Mom,

Like you, I didn’t have the time or money to go to the meetings or join on line so I decided to try it on my own. I lost 22lbs last year doing weight watchers at home.
All I needed was the starter book and the point’s calculator and I was on my way.
What helped me was having someone else to do it with, so I convinced my co-worker to try it with me and I must say “it worked for both of us”. Unfortunately I gained 12lbs which I am currently trying to lose. Today is my 4th day going back to doing W.W. Since starting on Monday, I’ve lost 2lbs so far. I think it will also work for you if you put your time and effort into it. Having your mother doing it with you is a huge plus and I think having joined this site will also help you in achieving your goal.
Stay within your point range and I guarantee you, YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!!
I’ve now challenged 3 other co-workers to do it with me and now I am challenging you. Try it, you have nothing to lose but those pounds..
Good luck!!!

Latinhoney
03-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know how I can add a weight loss ticker to my profile?

mareneli
03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi RockerMommy. I lost 60 lbs. doing what you describe back in 2002. I did have experience from going to meetings, though, so I knew the program. I always tell people who have never done WW that they should go to a few meetings to get to know the program. However, I think people can still be successful following the program without the meetings.

(Got down to 196 that time, then 30 lbs found me again, now I've removed that plus 20 more!)

ragbus
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know how I can add a weight loss ticker to my profile?

Sorry, I am new here, too, and am not allowed to send you the URL. I found it through Google.

The adress is:
3fatchicks.com/
diet/
weight-tracker
Hope this helps.
ragbus

ragbus
03-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok, so here is how I HOPED to work weight watchers and was hoping for input and advise.
My Mother-in-law joined weight watcher and I was kinda planing to just ride the coat tails due to lack of money. What I mean by this is Iplan to follow the program through their products (ie. scales calculaters ect.) But cant really afford the perks (meetings, ww online ect) Has anyone else tried this? was it successful?

Hi RockerMommy

Sure you can lose weight on the WW program without going to the meetings! As long as you have the plan and know how to calculate the points, etc, there is no problem.

I have done it before and had no problems, whatsoever!

I must admit, though, that I hated going to the meetings...

Good luck!
r.

Amandanrd
04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I am also doing the program at home. My mom joined about a year ago and is currently at her goal weight and maintaining. She gave me all of her materials and I have (so far) been successful. I've only been on the program for 3 weeks but have lost 8 lbs. as of today. My mom, husband, and aunt all call me after my weigh in to see how I have done for the week, so support is definitely the key... for me at least. There is soooo much free information out there without joining and paying. I absolutely believe you can be successful, as long as you stick to it and don't give up!

spoiltmom
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I lost 50 pounds on WW in 2007 and I never went to meetings. I just bought an at home kit and got support from WW's website.

LisaMarie71
04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Three years ago I lost 110 pounds by counting WW points and didn't go to a single meeting. I had done WW a few years before so I knew how it basically worked. I was really flexible with the points (for example, I frequently just estimated that 50 cal = 1 point instead of using my slide or looking up the point value or any of that) and it still worked.

Of course, then I had a baby and gained back 80 pounds, so now I have to lose weight all over again and I'm seriously struggling! I know WHAT to do, of course -- I just can't seem to force myself to do it!

GettinFit
04-29-2010, 11:30 AM
It's good to see that so many have been successful without going to meetings. I have joined and re-joined so many times but have never reached my goal. This time I decided that I want to try it on my own too. I have all the materials and I know the program so I just need to work it. I will use this site for accountability and motivation.

jillfiredup
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I lost most of my weight with the method you are using. I initially went to meetings, hated them, and went the online route. I realized after a few months that I really didn't need what I was paying $18 a month for.

I have a few sites that are hugely helpful to me and a wealth of resource. I know we can't post links here, but you can PM me if you need them.

There are even free points calculators online. Say if you have nutritional information for a recipe and need to know the points, you can plug into one of the calculators and it will spit out the points. Of course, you have to be sure the nutritional information is correct to begin with. Just google free weight loss calculator.

GlamourGirl827
05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I plan on doing the at home WW wioth out meeting or official WW online, only because of cost reasons. I was on WW with meetings before and got close to my goal weight (was loosing the 60 +pounds I gained with baby #1) then found out I was pregnant. I'm due in 2 weeks and have gain back all my weight. I plan on joining WW in the fall when we have a little more money, but until then, just the books and points calculator. I think this website provides plenty of support (I was here before) and it doesn't drain my wallet!! :)

goin4health
05-04-2010, 12:53 AM
sounds like I have found my support group as well, I have gone on and off ww several times. Like most of you I don't have the time to go t the meetings, so I am doing on my own, I have the books and point calculator. Has anyone checked out Dotti's weight loss zone, she did ww and has points calculated for restaurants, recipes, and many foods.

helene1
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I lost most of my weight with the method you are using. I initially went to meetings, hated them, and went the online route. I realized after a few months that I really didn't need what I was paying $18 a month for.

I have a few sites that are hugely helpful to me and a wealth of resource. I know we can't post links here, but you can PM me if you need them.

There are even free points calculators online. Say if you have nutritional information for a recipe and need to know the points, you can plug into one of the calculators and it will spit out the points. Of course, you have to be sure the nutritional information is correct to begin with. Just google free weight loss calculator.

I will PM you for the links. Thanks.

LisaMarie71
05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Pardon me if this already exists, but I think those of us who are doing WW at home without meetings should get a weekly chat thread going so we can support each other and get to know each other. I know it helped me a great deal to get support from 3FC when I was losing all that weight a few years ago. I was always in the 100 lb club threads back then, but I don't have that much to lose this time (more like 65) and I really want to get to know other people who are doing WW as well. What do you think?

anayasmomma
05-11-2010, 06:52 AM
I too am doing this at home and need all the support I can get! Yesterday was my first day and I already dipped into my 35 allowance points. UGH!

gvntofly
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I started WW at home yesterday! My mom did WW many years ago and I learned the program from her. I would love to go to the weekly meetings but being a SAHM I am on a tight budget. My husband is doing it with me so that makes it easier. I am doing pretty good so far but I like to snack so I need to go get some rice cakes today to help with the sweet crunch I always seem to crave after dinner!

LisaMarie71
05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Would you guys like to start a weekly weigh-in thread just for those of us who don't go to meetings? That could be our form of accountability since we don't go and weigh in at WW. When I was losing all that weight a few years ago, posting in the weekly weigh-in thread in the 100 lb club was a motivator for me. I'm weighing in on Fridays, and I lost 4 pounds in my first week back on the plan. I was surprised, since I only worked out twice (hard to find time with my toddler clinging to me all day long) and I ate a LOT of points. I decided to start slowly and give myself 35 points a day AND 35 flex points. I don't know how many points I'm technically supposed to get (I'm still nursing, so I know that adds a few), but I don't really care. I'm starting with this many and then reducing when I get the hang of counting again. If I don't lose anything next week, I'll take it down a notch. That's how I did it before -- I just played with my points levels to get the results I wanted.

Anyway, what do you say to a weekly weigh-in thread for us no-meeting chicks? Or should we be in the WW at Home forum?

susanwmsrn
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
wow...i would love to join your wt in group....ive been doing ww at home since feb 14. ive lost 20 pounds but have been at a plateau the last 4 weeks...i haven been following as well as i was....20 points is hard to grasp....
why is it that you cant send an email?

RedRose
06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd like to join the group for WW at home too. I'm not doing the meetings or online. So far so good tho!

Haley8203
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
i'd like to join the group. i go to weigh in but i don't have time for the meetings and i don't use the etools

lora m
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I originally got to goal/lifetime through meetings but after regaining over several years, I decided to lose weight again at home using my old points information which I'd kept. I didn't do the online membership. I went back to a meeting tonight just to check what my weight was on their scales (it was slightly lower than the home scales). I've just started raising points for maintenance in the last week and will continue to track my weigh in weekly at home.

m3rma1d
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Here's another "me too", LisaMarie! :)

huntress
06-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey! Me Too! Me Too!

I've been doing WW without meetings for 3 weeks now. I would love to be part of your group. I already love coming here for support and this would be even better. Hi to all!

howwood
12-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Hi, can anyone tell me how to find out how many weight watchers pro points I'm allowed without joining?

QuilterInVA
12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
No we can't. We paid for the information. Points change as you lose. There is no longer a formula for it. You can attend just one meeting and get all the information you will need.

outofideazz
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me how to find out how many weight watchers pro points I'm allowed without joining?

Hi Howwood,

Like everything, the answer to your question can be found just by googling it. I found it on wikihow.com and ehow.com

swoozy
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I just started back on the old program, again. PP did not work for me. I like the idea of a thread for non-meeting check-ins. I'll keep checking back.

Lorna F
04-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Me too, Rockermom. Can't afford the meetings etc right now, but still have some items from a few years ago. Also, so many great resources online to help.

babygirl5151999
04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
I did meetings many times, I liked the meetings. But since I'm doing momentum now the meetings would be (IMO) a waste of money.

mara123
06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site but am looking for support with the momentum plan. would love to join this group if i can. thanks

Snoooze
08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
I was thinking of doing weight watchers on my own also. I have a really old starter book & slide & a coworker told me the point system had changed slightly, but I will give it a go with the old material. Well done to evryone who has succeeded on their own.

kpg72
01-02-2014, 12:25 AM

jillfiredup,

How do I private message you to get the information that you mentioned about WW points calculator?

amandie
01-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Hello Kpg72,

Jillfiredup has not been on since 5/2010. Since you are very new, you don't have PMing capabilities yet (you have to wait 20 days to the day and second you signed up and have 20 posts.) For now, you can type in "free weight watcher points calculator" in your search engine and you'll see a few sites with either the old points calculator and/or points plus calculator (I like calculatorcat.) HTH!!!

bubblybee
02-18-2014, 11:24 AM
I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone on this forum for all the great details about how to follow the old Momentum program!

I started WW Flex/Momentum in 2009 and lost almost 100 pounds in just over a year. Then I hit a plateau and struggled for awhile, and the program switched to PP+. I was so hopeful the new program would help me break through that wall and start losing again, but I had no success whatsoever. I've started and stopped and restarted PP+ about six times in the last three years and gave up every few months when I'd have no results.

I'm really excited to give the old momentum plan a try again! I've already been tracking my food in MFP, but I'm really happy that I can now see the points according to the old system also...I'm curious to see if it still can work for me as well as it did the first time, especially after so many years struggling!

npotyonek
03-22-2014, 12:10 PM
So is this where we hold each other accountable or is there another thread? Looks like this one has fizzled out?