100 lb. Club - If you started out with 100+ to lose, and you are at or near goal. . .

eclipse
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
When did you start to feel "normal" ? When did you stop thinking that people looked at you first as "fat" and then as a person?

Lyn2007
02-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, I am not near goal, but I did have the Normal experience already, when I weighed 214 pounds (I have a good figure, nice curves and a waist so I didn't LOOK over 200).

I was at the County Fair and sat down with a plate of food. I think it was a taco salad or something. I was sitting at a communal table and a young couple came and sat across from me. One of them was staring at my food. I had been to the fair before at 278 pounds and had gotten the sneers, laughs, stares, comments etc about my weight before. So I was prepping in my head, knowing they were thinking "what is that fat chick doing eating a taco salad??" I was wrong. One said, "That looks good!" and the other asked "where'd you get that?" and we had a nice little conversation in which they treated me like a normal person. I know it sounds weird but that was THE FIRST TIME that I realised I did not look like I was hugely obese anymore. Granted I was sitting down and from the waist up I look pretty average at that weight. But it was a big deal to me. And after that I just felt like a normal person when I went out, and not a "fat person."

cfmama
02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
when I was around 220... around october I guess? I was at a Halloween dance and realized that people were looking at my GREAT dancing and NOT my fat...

Now I feel normal. Thin even. And people look at me with admiration and dare I say it... envy? In their eyes. I never KNEW I was pretty... never had any idea. And I'm beginning to thing that I just might be....

Forgotten Quill
02-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Greetings!

Honestly, I've started feeling "normal" only recently. I've had such a poor self image for so long, it's been hard for me to turn all that around and actually see the progress for what it is.

After 11 long months, I think how I view myself is finally starting to equate how I view my body. The problem is this: after losing 120 pounds, I still have a hard time calling myself "thin." I am thin, or at least extremely thinner than what I was, but the words just don't feel right on my tongue...or in my head.

I still have more weight to lose, but at this point, I'm feeling very normal. Some of that comes from others, but mostly I think it's about a slow change of mind that's happening inside. I'm getting to "know" my body, this new body, and I'm liking what I see. It's also about knowing, subconsciously, that I'm no longer the statistical obese woman I used to be. That, in itself is such a huge relief.

You will get there. It happens differently for everyone, but eventually you'll see it. Hopefully, it'll come sooner for you than it did for me.

All the best.

Passionista
02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Not at or near goal, but at 240 I feel pretty "normal" since I'm tall, curvy and carry it well. I get plenty of positive feedback for my appearance at that size too ;)

CJZee
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
It's funny, I just was thinking this morning that it seems when people look at me NOW they don't see the "fat" first, they see a normal person. They react differently to me and speak to me differently than they did 69 pounds ago. This seems strange as I am still way overweight, but it's the truth.

thistoo
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
For me it was pretty recent. I can look in the mirror now (clothed, anyway) and see a normal-looking person. I still have plenty of 'fat' days, don't get me wrong. But since I hit around 160, I've felt pretty okay about how I look. Getting positive attention from the opposite sex on a regular basis (I work with the public, so I am very 'visible' all day) has helped reinforce that for me. The comments of my female coworkers on my wardrobe are helpful too.

Idealmuse
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Around 215 I started to feel normal-ish. I feel normal more often then not now (when I hit under 190), but I do still have that shrunken obese thing going on, but mostly covered in clothes you can't tell too much.

Part of my problem though is I train with fit people so I'm still the "large" girl. Sigh.

Eliana
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe it would help if we listed our BMI's if they're known for when we started to feel normal, or maybe pants sizes.

I'm nowhere near goal, but I'm just starting to feel normal. Maybe it's because I'm just starting to wear 16's which in my mind are the beginning of "normal".

Weight: 198
BMI: 34
size: 16

I feel like people probably don't give me a second thought now.

One odd thing, I still feel like people should be thinking something. I was walking into the store today wondering what people thought when they looked at me and I thought I felt like a fake in this body, like this body isn't really mine, I just stepped out of 37 lbs for the day??? Weird, weird thinking. I had to remind myself that I do not have a sign on my forehead that says "used to weigh X" on it.

It's very hard to get over, this whole "normal" thing.

Passionista
02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Maybe it would help if we listed our BMI's if they're known for when we started to feel normal, or maybe pants sizes.

Just curious, why do you think BMI would be helpful? BMI tells nothing of body shape, proportion, size, muscle mass etc.

I know quite a few sexy, lean athletes who have an 'obese' BMI, as well as sexy, curvy folks too. BMI is just a mathematical equation involving height and weight.

CLCSC145
02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I feel better, but not yet totally normal. I'm sure people still see me as a fat person, but not in the same way as they did over 100 pounds ago. I still see me as a fat person though, so maybe that's just me projecting my feelings onto them. I think it's less of a line ("fat yesterday, normal today" feeling) and more a subtle change. For example, even though I still feel fat, I don't dread going out in public like I used to. I still feel like people stare at me, but maybe that's the height thing more than the fat thing, and heck, maybe they aren't staring at all and I am just paranoid. I also don't fear getting dressed anymore with that horrid worry that I'm not going to find anything in my closet to fit. So those types of things feel more normal I guess.

For Eliana:
My weight: 209.4
BMI: 28.4
Size: 16

Idealmuse
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
My BMI is still obese at 30.5-ish...but I wear 12's and M/L tops so yeah, BMI doesn't help too much in knowing ones health/size... (I'm sorta fit so I have a bit of muscle)

I started at just over 50 BMI (size 26) though!

The interesting thing I've found is I look at photos of myself at 240 when I was feeling much smaller (not normal but smaller) and now that I'm 184 I can see I still looked quite heavy... so it's all really relative to what we're used to seeing in the mirror I think.

Shmead
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I have just now started to feel more "thick" than fat. I don't think anyone would call me "normal", but I'm within the normal range for middle-age spread. Another way to put it: I think I look in a way that people who know/like me would probably deny I'm fat ("she's still big, but not fat"), but people who just saw me would still say fat.

I think/hope to start to feel merely plump by 190 or 180.

PeanutsMom704
02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm not there yet, but in the past, when I got down to a size 16, it was a good place for me, and I felt normal (and also felt very attractive too). (I was there today in my new size 16 jeans, but I know they happen to be a pair that runs very big and if I went to the store and tried on a bunch of size 16 things, they would not fit me yet)

When I first started on this journey, my initial goal was to get to that point again. However, after being inspired by so many others on 3fc, I decided to challenge myself to go a lot further in terms of weight loss than I've ever gone before, or even considered possible. I suspect that will end up making me feel differently about being a size 16. Sure, it will be nice, but knowing it's only a waystation on the way down to something much smaller, I think it's likely to not feel quite as good as it did when I was there before.

TJFitnessDiva
02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I started to feel a bit normal once I was under 200lbs. When I hit my goal a few weeks ago I got a bit insecure again but things are starting to settle down now that I'm learning about maintaining.

Mikayla
02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I am just starting to feel normal now at 180 lbs(a 90 lb loss) I feel normal because I can fit into 14's, which to me means I can go into any store and fine something that fits. I also have stopped feeling like I am getting dirty looks from people. Also people have stopped giving me that look when I say I exercise. Also, I a bit smaller than my best friend, my mom, my sister, most of the people I'm close to for that matter. I think that is the real key for me to feeling normal...now I feel like I look like the people around me

Eliana
02-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Just curious, why do you think BMI would be helpful? BMI tells nothing of body shape, proportion, size, muscle mass etc.

Just because it's a better indicator than weight. 215 at 5 feet is a lot different than 215 at 5'10".

ubergirl
02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
I feel normal now. I think it hit sometime in the last ten pounds or so.
I realize that in most situations I'm neither the fattest or thinnest, but am somewhere in the middle. I don't know why I never noticed how many people are overweight because I always felt like the fattest person in the room.

I feel like people will see me first and overweight second. Before, I felt like obesity was the first thing anyone would notice about me.

height 5'8"
weight: 218
BMI 33

catherinef
02-21-2010, 03:24 AM
I'm getting close to feeling normal. Some days I already do, but I also have some self-perception issues and I was obese for so long that I sometimes have to remind myself that, hey, no, I'm actually pretty normal-looking now.

Height is 6'
Weight is 199
BMI is 27

PeanutsMom704
02-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I feel normal now. I think it hit sometime in the last ten pounds or so.
I realize that in most situations I'm neither the fattest or thinnest, but am somewhere in the middle. I don't know why I never noticed how many people are overweight because I always felt like the fattest person in the room.

I feel like people will see me first and overweight second. Before, I felt like obesity was the first thing anyone would notice about me.

This is interesting because I think some of it is dependent on where you live. I'm in Colorado, which has the lowest obesity rate in the country, and you can see it just looking at people in most group settings. So even though our sizes are not ALL that difference, I am still one of the fattest people in the room most of the time. I don't mean in a hypersensitive way, just the reality that the majority of people I come into contact with on a regular basis are normal weight or very slim. I do notice overweight people even when they aren't really heavy, just because there are fewer of them overall.

LizR
02-21-2010, 09:29 AM
This is interesting because I think some of it is dependent on where you live.

This is so true! When I lived in LA, I felt like I was constantly being stared at and treated badly because of my weight. I moved to North Carolina and suddenly it wasn't an issue. I don't think anyone has ever looked at me twice here.

I guess anyone who feels uncomfortable at the gym just needs to move here. :D

Eliana
02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh wow. I hadn't thought about the different parts of the country and its effect on weight. How very interesting! I'm in Ohio and everybody is pretty big. We've been talking around here about how our perceptions are all skewed. We're more forgiving of fat and tend to want to fatten up our children.

thistoo
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm in Colorado, which has the lowest obesity rate in the country, and you can see it just looking at people in most group settings.

Goodness, yes! At my highest weight I moved to Littleton, and boy, did I ever feel my weight while I was there. I loved my time in CO, but I certainly felt conspicuous. In fact, that's where I finally decided to start making the change.

Since then I've been through two more states and landed in Tennessee, aka the barbecue capital of the world, but Knoxville has a much lower obesity rate than, say, Memphis. I think it's all the great hiking we have around here. Still, people are a lot heavier on average here than they were in Colorado, so it's a lot easier for me to feel 'normal' even while I'm 30+ pounds overweight.

Thighs Be Gone
02-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I think I started to feel "normal" at 180 or so. I remember being at my daughters birthday party and feeling pretty--wearing a purple silk blouse and a pair of denim trouser pants and heels. I knew I wasn't where I wanted to be but for a change I was feeling somewhat attractive and feeling energetic.

Thighs Be Gone
02-21-2010, 12:52 PM
BTW, I am in Texas and it seems like there are "pockets" of really large people and "pockets" of skinnies. I can easily see the differences as I go to different malls in the different suburbs.

Loving Me
02-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Well, a lot of the time I still feel like the biggest person around, but sometimes this past couple of weeks I have started to feel more normal.
In the UK "normal" clothing sizes generally go up to an 18 so I'm still in plus sizes at a 20, but when I look at myself in the mirror now I feel more normal than I have in years and when I wear clothes that fit properly I'm actually starting to feel attractive again which is huge for me. I've spent so long hating myself and avoiding looking in a mirror at all costs, but lately I'm starting to look out of choice and I quite like what I see.
My username is what I knew I had to work towards from the start Loving Me, and I think it's actually happening now.

ubergirl
02-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, a lot of the time I still feel like the biggest person around, but sometimes this past couple of weeks I have started to feel more normal.
In the UK "normal" clothing sizes generally go up to an 18 so I'm still in plus sizes at a 20, but when I look at myself in the mirror now I feel more normal than I have in years and when I wear clothes that fit properly I'm actually starting to feel attractive again which is huge for me. I've spent so long hating myself and avoiding looking in a mirror at all costs, but lately I'm starting to look out of choice and I quite like what I see.
My username is what I knew I had to work towards from the start Loving Me, and I think it's actually happening now.

This is exactly like me! At the 40+ BMI where I parked for a long time, it was not possible to really look professional and put together. Clothing was a constant depressing struggle.

I think I mentioned once before how once a few years ago, my supervisor at work during a performance review, commented on less-than-professional dress. She pointed to her own outfit as an example of something that would be appropriate. She was my height and about a size 2. What she didn't know was that I had bought my clothes at an expensive brand-name plus-size specialty store, and that I actually was probably wearing 200 dollars worth of clothes. I didn't look put together because at my weight, it was just impossible to look put together. That broke my heart.

Now, I know that if I need to look professional I can. That's my definition of normal. It's not sticking out because of my weight.

sprklemajik
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I feel normal about now 220 lbs. I know that I'm still larger than some folks when they start, but to be able to go into a store and wear a 14 or a 16, to really be able to shop at any store. That's when I started feeling normal sized.

starfishkitty
02-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah... I'd definitely say that I started to feel way better about myself around the 215's or so... and ECSTATIC once I was under 200. Like someone said above... now I just feel more thick than anything. At least when my clothes are on. Then I have that shrunken obese thing as well. *sigh*

slimsilhouette2b
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not there yet but this is very encouraging to read! At one time I felt fairly normal at 200 lbs. I carry my weight well and looked "normal" at that weight and was in 16's. I'm ready to be there again! :)

DCHound
02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Around size 16, give or take.

I get called "small" now...it's totally surreal.