Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default OT: cervical cancer test

I just got an invitation (that's what they call it) for a smear test. I should probably have gone to one of these before, but I've always avoided it. Now, however, I really should just get over my hang-ups and do it.

Would some of you be willing to share some experiences? I know that the person who does it will have seen just about everything imaginable, but I know there's still going to be a big embarrassment factor
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

it IS a bit embarassing, but as my doctor says "no one's ever DIED from embarassment" Cancer on the other hand...welll duh! Most doctors have something fun on the ceiling for you to look at LOL and it's over soon!

My favourite story came from old office manager -- she went to get her test, had to pee and discovered in the washroom there was no TP. She rooted around in the bottom of her purse and found a crumpled tissue to use. During her exam, the doctor made a puzzled "hmmmm" noise, and removed something with tweezers and continued. She said "um, what did you just do?" and he said "Oh, you had a postage stamp stuck to you" hahahahah

Just hold your breath, close your eyes and go to your happy place, it'll be over quickly and it could save your life!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm not much of a 'let it all hang out' kinda gal but I find them surprisingly un-embarrassing. Here in the UK they cell removal tends to be done by nurses rather than doctors and the last time I had it done the nurse was massively matter of fact about the whole thing.

"Ankles together, let you knees drop, cough, how's your building work going?

It was all over and done with in less than five minutes.

Oh, and well done on taking good care of yourself.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

yes, they have seen everything, and no, there is absolutely NO reason to be embarassed.

It can be a little uncomfortable - not really painful, but uncomfortable. You'll want to try to relax as best you can, because that does make it easier. Let the doctor know you are nervous - they can know they need to be very gentle (not that they don't try anyway, but they will know the be extra cautious). They might even try using a smaller speculum first to see if that works, and would be a little easier on you.

But yes, please go. This is not something to ignore and hope that as long as you don't bother, you don't have to think about it. The chances are that everything is absolutely fine, but with this type of stuff, it's always better safe than sorry.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just do it. It's part of life. It helps if you have a woman doctor, though.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #6  

The postage stamp thing...oh my

Thanks for the support. I think I'll ring tomorrow and make an appointment. I guess this is part of the growing up thing I've been avoiding for, oh, the past fifteen years or something.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, honestly. I was terrified, and then I went and did it. Having a good doctor helps, though - make sure it's someone you feel comfortable with. This past year I've had to have three gyno exams - one a regular checkup, one colposcopy, and one that diagnosed me with PCOS. I've also had a vaginal ultrasound. It's never terribly pleasant, but I've never found it to be embarassing.

The way I figure it, the doctor sees maybe 10 gals a day. Multiply that by five, you get fifty a week. Multiply that by fifty (two weeks vacation) and you get 2500. If I was a doctor and I saw 2500 nether regions a year, I don't think anything would faze me - fat, skinny, old, young, Brazilian or tropical jungle, lol.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

What's to be embarassed about? I've been having them for decades, nothing to it. It's over in two seconds. Just relax, don't clench up, and you'll be absolutely fine.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyplain View Post
It's not as bad as people make it out to be, honestly. I was terrified, and then I went and did it. Having a good doctor helps, though - make sure it's someone you feel comfortable with. This past year I've had to have three gyno exams - one a regular checkup, one colposcopy, and one that diagnosed me with PCOS. I've also had a vaginal ultrasound. It's never terribly pleasant, but I've never found it to be embarassing.

The way I figure it, the doctor sees maybe 10 gals a day. Multiply that by five, you get fifty a week. Multiply that by fifty (two weeks vacation) and you get 2500. If I was a doctor and I saw 2500 nether regions a year, I don't think anything would faze me - fat, skinny, old, young, Brazilian or tropical jungle, lol.
And I thought my job was monotonous! Imagine looking at that all day!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #10  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

It's really not as bad as you would think. You will be ok. I do find it slightly uncomfortable physically, but there should not be pain. If there is pain then you should let the doc or nurse know. I do sometimes have some mild crampy feelings for the rest of the day and I almost always feel like I have to pee every 2 minutes for a few hours after.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #11  

Ladies!

I went and had my appointment. And it was nowhere near as horrid as I had expected. Well, apart from the fact that the receptionist ignored me who ignored me whilst I was waiting, and then wanted to stand in and observe. Hmpf.

And then my scientist kicked in and I wanted to know all the details of everything - including what all the stuff looked like on the brush-thingy.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #12  
Kim

S/C/G: 256/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Vaginal Ultrasounds... now there's a term I know... Mrs. Endometriosis and Ovarian cyst Grower reporting in...

A Pap Smear is nothing... it's the safe thing to do. If you are nervous about a male doctor find a female. Usually though the nurse is in there as well and they make it as pleasant as possible... really

sorry missed that you'd posted. Glad it was a good experience for you. Glad you went!

Last edited by Wizzie; 03-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Just do it. It's part of life. It helps if you have a woman doctor, though.

Jay
I actually prefer male doctors. I don't know why, I'm just not comfy around women and my vagina
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #14  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I just had mine done this morning (after a reminder from a fellow fat chick last week ).

I haven't had one in years and I knew I was over due. I hate them! I really do. But......

It didn't even take 3 minutes. The doctor was rambling on about random things like being over run with kids in the office because it's spring break. lol

I love Trazey's quote.....No one has ever died of embarrassment. Very good point!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Trust me, physicians and nurses have seen absolutely everything. How they deal with patients, however, is something else.

Choose a doc (family practice or gyn) who is respected by other women for being skilled in the art of medicine (empathy, communication, etc.) as well as being good technically.

There should NOT be any pain associated with a pelvic exam unless this is a woman/girl's first one, and she is a virgin (we could disucss about when to start pap smears on another thread) or has underlying pain before the exam.

Ask your doc to explain what she is doing as she goes and how you will get the results back.

signed,
doc of 30 years (OMG I'm getting old)
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote