Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/222/160

Height: 5'4

Default Doing it the "right" way?

Hi everyone - I am new to this site but not new to WW. I am re-joining tonight for the 100th time but I want to do it differently this time. I have always cheated the system to show a loss each week - I never actually followed the points system and learned how to eat the right way. And now I am going back heavier than I ever have been! Do you have any helpful hints on how to get focused - tricks that helped in the beginning - things that made it "click" for you? Thank you!
newleafmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250.6/see ticker/185/?

Height: 5'8"

Default Accountability is Key

Congratulations!

My tips for you and anyone else starting out OP is to count all points "no matter what." There is no going on or going off program.

Accountability is key. If you know what you are eating, you know where you stand, and your weigh-in will not be a surprise.

Also, pay attention to your non-scale victories. Passing-up foods that you cannot afford for better choices, working out when you don't want to, addressing issues rather than stuffing them with food, are all NSV. A bunch of NSV's will get you through the rough spots.

And, practice makes permanent. It takes time for your behavior to become a habit, so don't be too hard on yourself for hiccups.

My best to you!
Judy
Lil Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #3  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

Just be honest to yourself and the system. If you follow it, count your points diligently, you will see losses.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #4  

thank you both for your insight -- I am determined to do it the right way this time.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250.6/see ticker/185/?

Height: 5'8"

How's it going, nlm?
Lil Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 387/387/250

Height: 6'7" (yes, really)

Good luck to you! Cheating the scales is only cheating yourself. You can do this!
NotFatImFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #7  

I am doing surprisingly well -- I have three kids (12/10/7) and there always seem to be kids over our house - so there are always treats/snacks of some kind that need to be made or things I am tempted with. I am really tracking what I eat closely though, making healthier choices and planning ahead, and my whole family is on board to help find recipes and work on being healthy. I am off to a great start! Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263.5/256/170

Height: 5'5

I just started back to WW (again) on Tuesday. When I saw what you said about cheating the sytem I thought I was writing this thread. I successfully lost 60lbs on my first attempt with WW back in 1992 and did it by following the plan. I then met my DH and got settled into a comfortable lifestyle and the weight crept back on over our 13 years together. I have tried back many times but didn't last because I never followed the plan. Since Tuesday I have written in my food journal everyday and counted those points like $$. I don't want to have to do this again. Good luck to you.
snoopy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the tracking. I think it's one of those things, it's not something that you hope "clicks," you just have to make it happen! When I started WW I counted and tracked obsessively. I got kind of lax about it around the holidays, and it showed! Now I'm being more faithful and the pounds are coming off again!

I love a quote from one of the little magazines they hand out at meetings now: If you kind of track, it kind of works. If you really track, it really works!

I have found that is so true. Just commit to counting points for awhile. Once you get used to it you'll find shortcuts and it becomes less time-consuming. I think that when you actually track and start seeing a loss on the scale, that will be motivation enough for you to keep going!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote