Old 02-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Default Exhausted/Part3

Went to the doctor again to talk about my lab results. Results were normal, which is good news. I have never had that many vials of blood taken from me in my entire life--yowza! So we talked about my sleep patterns and I ended up realizing/confessing that I often don't sleep well because of discomfort. I have had hip pain and arm pain for so many years I guess it's become normal to me. I only really notice it at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. There is no good side for me to sleep on so I do alot of tossing and turning.

He examined me and concluded that I had sciatica and bursitis. Basically he said I was very inflamed. So, he is going to try some pain meds and muscle relaxants on me. I have another appointment to see him in 3 weeks. If there is not significant improvement he will send me in for a sleep study. He wants to rule out sleep apnea. While I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get better I dread the idea of having a cpap attached to me during the night. I'm not really keen on taking that much medication either.

BUT, I am delighted to be taken seriously and that he is aggressively pursuing treatment options.

So, that's my update! BTW, he thinks I'm doing all the right things to lose the weight and wants me to keep up the good work. That sure was nice to hear too!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #2  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Keep up the good work. Even if you have sleep apnea, chances are, by the time you get to your goal you wont need the CPAP, since losing weight diminishes the symptoms of the disease.
My BF suffers from both sleep apnea and sciatica. I keep encouraging him to work on the weight loss. He is not yet invested, but just having moved out of the city and away from all the delivery places has done him good. He does do some exercises for the sciatica, which he says helps keep the pain down. Has you doctor given you exercises to do?
Maybe that will help you too.

knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #3  
redhead30

S/C/G: 215/210/130

Height: 5'4"

Anything you can do to reduce overall inflammation in your body may help with the pain.
redhead30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

I really feel for you. I suffered with sciatica for 15 years. Even walked with a cane during my pregnancies...not a cute look. I have finally figured the secret ( at least for me) I exercise everyday and work with a trainer to build core strength. I have been med free for almost 4 months. I used to pop ibuprofen all day and layer the tylenol. Even took the prescription stuff. I shudder to think of the damage to my organs. I started this journey to get strong and get off the durgs. My life has changed in so many ways and I am stronger and healthier than ever. I pray you find the secret that works for you. I know it can be agonizing to deal with.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad that you're starting the process of figuring out how to take care of this. Being that tired is just not good for ANYTHING, never mind weight loss.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Just for the record, CPAP is the best thing that ever happened to my marriage. My husband and I are close sleepers--we touch all night--and when he got the CPAP I was terrified that we'd lose that. It turns out it's really not that intrusive: the hose is long and flexible and he can turn and face any direction. Best of all--no more snoring! I sleep so much better these days--I didn't realize how much it had been keeping me awake.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm so glad you have an aggressive doctor! That truly is a blessing. And given your height and weight, if it is sleep apnea, it shouldn't be too long before that problem is taken care of. I'm not sure it's always weight related, but it often is.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote