Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Hit a rut, need a push

I'm bouncing between 198 and 202. My eating is terrible...I mean terrible all the time. I'm not "overeating," but I'm not making good choices. I'm eating what I want, without any concern for what it's doing to my body. This is probably because we have very little food in the house right now (that isn't junk, we've eaten our way down to rations). Any time I start to worry about it, I say "Eh, I'll hit the store tomorrow." Then I never do.

I need to get out of the rut. This is the lowest weight I've been in almost 8 years. I don't like my size, but I'm no longer repulsed by it. I guess, at the moment, I'm comfortable enough. I can shop at "regular" people stores for the most part and things don't look bad on me. But, I know I want to lose at least 20 more pounds, and hopefully 40 or 50. Not gonna get there this way!

It's just not good. I need to keep chugging. Can I get a few gentle nudges or violent shoves out of this rut? For some reason, I need outside enforcement - so codependent! :P
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Here's one for you. Just a theory, but...if you have been sort of maintaining and eating poorly for a while, imagine how quickly 10 lbs will come off if you go back on plan. That would motivate the heck out of me! Kind of like starting over. Remember how quickly it came off in the beginning?

Again...just a theory...why not test it?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
if you have been sort of maintaining and eating poorly for a while, imagine how quickly 10 lbs will come off if you go back on plan.
so true!! i'm kinda there right now lady...this is only my 3rd day back on track, and i'm already back to my ticker weight!

and tell you what...could NOT have done this for 3 days if i hadn't dragged my lazy *** to the grocery store on sunday. you have to go!! i forget how much i actually like healthy foods, fresh veggies, low fat cheeses, etc when they're not right in front of me.

it makes it soooooo much easier. in fact i think it's impossible for me to make good choices when i'm not reasonably well-stocked. a can of beans and a sleeve of saltines isn't like wtf bad for you, but 1. not delicious and 2. not satisfied.

good luck, and eat your veggies!!!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'7"

So you are bouncing around between 198 & 202. How would you feel if you were bouncing around between 208 & 212? I know if I put on 10 lbs these days it's a major disaster, pants don't fit, I feel fat & sluggish and weak.

Then turn it around. How would you feel to be bouncing around 188 & 192? Yes, it's that much better. I promise, and you would probably agree looking back at your losses so far. That next 10 lbs really does make that much difference in how we feel & look.

I know I'm often motivated more by the negative like getting out of tight pants than I am by the positive, the idea of having to buy new pants because my current ones become too big, but I'm really trying to focus on the positive.
ValerieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I post quite a bit in a decade thread in the 20-somethings and one of the girls there posted something I'd like to share... This is originally posted by kirjava: "Depending on your height, the 160s can be close enough to looking good that you loosen up and cheat, yet still far enough away from looking perfect that you... also loosen up and cheat". This sounds a lot like what you're doing. Like you said, you're not happy with your weight yet, but you're not repulsed by it anymore. So you've reached a level of comfort with your body which can spring you into a situation like she says. I know I've done it before... as a matter of fact I think that's how I've been acting recently.

Just remember how far you've come and keep your goal in mind. You CAN lose it, you know how... so just hop back into the grocery store and start making your good choices again!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm OK too. I got all new scrubs. Everybody likes them. They fit nice. I feel well dressed. I felt good enough to ... um ... relax my own rules???

I went a couple of days doing very well except for .... potato chips one day, popcorn one day ... ya know? So last night I had a baggie of celery all cut up and had it with peanut butter.

I felt quite virtuous and ready to carry on.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #7  

Default Week Off?

Whenever I hit a rut, I take the day (or week) off. It's too much to obsess over weight every DAY!!!

What's worked for me lately is working on my HEAD. Believe it or not, I've had success "pretending" to be thin.
YearOfLivingThinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #8  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Do they have grocery delivery in your area? I think I had a friend near Chicago say she sometimes gets her groceries delivered. When I lived in the states in California, I did it all the time (one thing I miss now that I'm in Mexico!) Anyhow, find out your local options, get online, and order some healthy groceries. Have good choices in the house. Even if you aren't ready to start tracking what you're eating and working on an eating plan, having access to the good food will do wonders for you!
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #9  

Default Celery?

Who needs celery when you can eat peanut butter with a spoon? heehee
YearOfLivingThinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Honey, you have come too far to let this kick you back. Get up and get yourself to the store! Take care of you! Do you want to go back to special stores and feeling repulsed by your size? No you do not! Go go go!

How many little kick in the pants smilies are there? Did I miss one?

Seriously, don't let this control you. Get what you need to get you back on track. You are too important to lose to inconvenience.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #11  

Location: Ohio,But I'm moving somewhere else...It might be Texas.

S/C/G: 270/250/130

Height: 5'8'

Don't worry about fluctuating a few pounds here and there, You're weight will be a little different everyday. It all depends on how much water you drink,when you weigh yourself(ex. right after you get up, after you work out, after you eat, etc. ), what you ate that day,if it's your time of the month,etc.

I think the reason your stuck is because your on a diet. You should be on a lifestyle change. If you go on a diet,lose the weight,and continue doing the things you did before you lost it,you'll gain everything back and have to start over. You need to change your habits into something healthy so you can lose and maintain the weight you want.

I would suggest eating 4-5 small healthy meals a day with 45-60 minutes of working out. [You should do this 6 out of 7 days a week and take a break day. A day with no working out and to give yourself something you want like a big mac or pizza. Don't pig out or anything, try to keep most of your meals healthy. Doing this will help you stay on track without felling deprived of the foods you love.]

Drink lots of water through out the day,don't eat anything 2 hours before you go to bed, And If You absolutly have to cheat because you really really want that cookie or that chocolate bar, Don't. Cheat on something good like a small ice cream sundae or a serving of pasta. You might as well make it worth it. [This go's with out saying but,Don't cheat everyday,lol.]

A few good snacks & meals are:
-A single bowl of oatmeal + A Piece of fruit, and maybe a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter if you like.
-1 serving size of meat like skinless boneless chicken breast (That would be the size of a deck of playing cards.) + A serving of brown rice+ Some steamed veggies.
------------------------------------------------
-A handful of nuts.{mixed or not}[one of my favorites! It has protien, good fat,and good carbs. and those will give you lots of energy. ]
-a chesse stick and a piece of fruit.
-half a bag of buttered popcorn(The extra butter popcorn I eat has 120 calories in the whole bag, so it's only a 60 calorie snack It's even less with regular butter or no butter at all. )
I hope I helped in some way.

Source: My mom is a nutritionist XD;
ArtistOfNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #12  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Altari, you and I are the same height and we both started at close to the same weight. So I think I have something to offer here. I don't know your age but I feel like this is your time and please, please, please do not waste it. Why? Let me tell you why.

I too lost down to about where you are right now. I MAINTAINED there for the next 10 YEARS! Do not do what I did. I could have been living my best life at my fullest potential. But instead, I continued to pretty much eat whatever I wanted. I was able to maintain my weight with some moderate exercise and eating whatever I wanted. Why did I do this? I told myself I was comfortable. I was able to shop in regular stores, like you, but the clothes were not particularly flattering. I told myself it didn't matter. I was busy being a working mom. I told myself that losing the last half of the weight was not worth the effort required, that I was not worth the required effort. I kind of feel like I spent the last 10 years with blinders on, in complete denial to what I was doing to myself.

What happened to get me started? Well, my health started to deteriorate. My bp was sky high and I was retaining alot of water. I'm pretty sure I was well on my way to Diabetes or a stroke. I realized that I was going to have to start taking care of myself because there was no way in h@ll that I was not going to be in charge of my body. To me illness takes away my choices--no way, no how would I be willing/contributing to that!

I started small with baby steps and added healthier choices over time. But most importantly I worked on what was going on in my head. Why? Why did I binge eat?
Why did I tell myself horrible things about me? These were the questions that I needed answered in order to be successful on this journey. Please know that I am here for you. Please pm me if I can help you in anyway.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

Hey Altari,
I know it's hard...especially when there is junk food in the house. i don't have kids, but my boyfriend loves some of that sweet stuff. what i did, was ask him if he wouldn't mind cutting back on having it in the house for a while...at least until i could get into "the mode" and get locked in on my diet. he had NO problem with that whatsoever...maybe you could do the same thing. take your whole family on an "eating healthier" journey...and now that you are down to rations in that cupboard, DON'T replenish them. sure the kids will whine...but YOU are the parent. we are close to the same height and weight right now...so we are kind of on this journey together. Lets DO THIS...lets dump these pounds and get in shape for those REALLY CUTE summer clothes!! it's right around the corner and if we hit it hard now, come June we are gonna be lookin' GREAT.
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote