Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Wink Saboteurs and how spot them...

I just had a chubby "friend" at work invite me out to lunch. She is going to this Thai restaurant that I used to frequent. (the BEST green curry ever!) My co-workers are well aware of my efforts and know I bring a big salad for lunch every day now. She has always complained about her weight but doesn't seem to ever do anything about it. I feel like she might be threatened by me trying to get healthy. We used to joke together about being the "big girls" in the office. I'm still friendly to her, still stop to chat and visit, ask about her weekend and her kids. It's not like I dumped her as a work friend.

I politely declined her offer. She commented that I wasn't "fun" anymore. I thought I am as fun as ever but I'm definitely not her eating buddy anymore. I'm excited by my healthy eating and have no problem saying no.

Who consciously or sub-consciously sabotages you and how do you handle it?
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/185/120

Height: 5'3

I have people at my work like that too. I don't know why they do that. They always bake yummy treats and bring them in. We just have to let the weight loss motivate us to ignore them.
HomeHealthRN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #3  
k8ee

S/C/G: 181/176/140

Height: 5'7"

i have the same problem...but with my best friend. shes skinnie, and always mocks me or makes snide remarks about my eating super healthy, or that i should just cheat, and blah blah. i think shes afraid ill thin out and be the prettie girl. its tough...but...i need to do this for me...i just wish i had more support.
katie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #4  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

My bf is the worst now, though my ex-best friend was before I stopped talking to her. HE always brings junk into the house and is very quick to make a trip to a fast-food joint, or the grocery store if I so much as mention I have a craving for something, usually because he wouldn't mind some himself. Still my fault, though, as I always let him.

SHE (gourmet chef) used to cook endless amounts of high-fat high-cal dishes and desserts, then only eat 3-4 bites and have me finish them off. She flat-out admitted (one of the reasons we no longer talk) she prefers me heavy, as she is a size 2 recovering anny and anyone she associates with has to be much heavier or more unattractive than her for her to feel good about herself. She actually said she was HAPPY I was no longer a size 12, because now I couldn't "show her up" anymore! I guess there, too, it was partially my fault for finishing off the food, but she NEVER ate left-overs, and I hated seeing food of that caliber go to waste.

There is an adage that goes "better for the food to go in the garbage than for it to go on your a$$" or something similar but with more style.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #5  
Out is Through

I know he doesn't do it on purpose, but my dad always brings home cookies and cake whenever he goes to the grocery store. He gets upset that I stock up on "diet" food that's on sale (I work on minimum wage so I heart sales!) and he doesn't have any room to store his "food". He compliments me that I'm doing great on my journey but then he shoves baked goods in my face. Roar!
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #6  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

One of my coworkers is supportive but on Wednesday the cafeteria has fried chicken and peach cobbler of which I adore. I haven't had any since Jan 3 and she is always wanting me to come and she pays. Well the couple of times I've gone I only eat a salad, collard greens and a piece of baked chicken. No cobbler, no ice cream just baked chicken, veges and sometimes a quarter of a baked sweet potato. I don't like going over there because the temptation is not what I need to maintain my progress. She will say you can go, one meal won't hurt and you've been doing really good. Well this week they asked me today about going tomorrow and I said nope. I won't be doing that again because I can't count the calories properly and I have to stay on task. I know it seems like I'm being extreme but I gotta stick with my plan so I can get to my goal. I'm even like that with exercisesuggestions. They offer different classes on campus but one they are at the wrong time and two I have a workout schedule that I stick to because it's working and the classes aren't going last but a month and I need consistency for myself.

I think I may be a little overwhelming or annoying for some people because I'm very high strung and easily excited. So any progress I see I'm all about it. But I don't really care because this is about ME!!! I am finally in control of my body and not gonna let the small foxes ruin it for me.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

You know what? I no longer have ANY of those people regularly in my life. Why? Because they STOPPED DOING IT after I told them they either needed to KNOCK IT OFF or I couldn't be around them any more.

Case in point. I was 2 weeks (2 weeks!!!!) into my healthy living when my other mother brought over 2 grocery store bags FULL of chips that her HUSBAND would not eat!!!!! Hickory sticks, cheezies, bbq chips. Like all my favourites. I handed her BACK the bags and said no thanks... she handed them back and said they were for the kids... I handed them BACK AGAIN and said find someone else to give it to or they go in the garbage. And then I told her that this was NOT helpful and I could NOT trust myself around those foods and to NEVER bring them over again... lol!!!!

And so she never ever did.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I hate that. It would be one thing if my friends were eating the food and I was drooling over it or something, but I'm not at all tempted by the food. They say things implying that I'm no fun or difficult. It hurts because I'm pretty easy going and an easy person to please. I tell them not to worry about what I'm eating. I literally say that now.

I mean, just Saturday night hubby and I went to a couples' house just to get together. They told us to come at 8:30 which is after dinner so I ate at home. It turns out they had planned to eat with us. So they made food and it was ready by 9:45!! I didn't have the calories left (and I wasn't at all hungry) and I definitely wasn't about to eat it. Anyway, they basically alluded to the fact that having me over was a challenge, food-wise, now. This was totally unprovoked. I didn't ask for healthy food or anything. Yet, somehow I make people uncomfortable by not eating crap at 10PM. Poor hubby is always stuck backing me up against all of our friends.

It's annoying but I think people will eventually get used to it. I have thin friends that definitely try to sabotage me and have, in the past, openly admitted to liking to go out with certain friends so that they feel better about themselves (of course they maintained that I was not one of those friends, yeah right).

Anyway, just stay strong, hold your ground. DON'T APOLOGIZE (I need to take my own advice). I think eventually they will start to feel uncomfortable making comments ALL THE TIME and they'll have to just stop.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you strive to always behave in your own best interest, you really don't have to bother spotting saboteurs, because no one can force you to eat something you don't want to. Their motives aren't really important, because you're not obligated to change your behavior because of their input.

I've stopped using the word saboteur when it comes to people whose behavior isn't (in my opinion) conducive to my weight loss. The word encourages me to believe that people are intentionally (or at best subconsciously) trying to trip me up (thinking abouth anyone's motivation other than my own tends to bring me more stress than I need in my life). When I start thinking about "sabotage" in that way, it encourages a paranoid and even antagonistic attitude towards others. "They want me fat," when a more accurate description would be "my weight loss isn't as important to them as it is to me" (well, no kidding. Of course my weight loss is more important to me than to anyone else. I wouldn't really want it any other way).

Most of the time, I think people's behavior has very little to do with me, - people generally are behaving according to their own desires and needs, not mine. When I realize that - I'm a lot less offended and a lot less tempted by other people's behavior. It's not about me.

I think people try to be supportive, but they may feel as hurt by our behavior as we are by theirs (and those feelings are just as justified). It would be just as natural for a person to feel "she's using dieting as an excuse to sabotage our friendship by refusing my lunch invitation."

I wouldn't assume that a friend asking me to lunch is trying to sabotage me, or even being inconsiderate. I'd think they were wanting to go to lunch and wanting to spend it with someone who would enjoy it. I don't have to see the behavior as sabotage to decline (or to accept and choose my food according to my best interest).

I can find something healthy on most restaurant menus. Thai restaurants are my favorite pro-dieting restaurant. I order papaya salad, laab, or Pho (and don't eat many of the noodles). When friends ask me to go to lunch, I don't see it as sabotage, but rather a gesture of friendship (that I don't have to accept, but that I don't have to decline either).

When I was working and dieting, lunch requests from coworkers felt like sabotage, and I refused until coworkers stopped asking. Then I felt snubbed (not relieved) when they started going to lunch without even asking me if I'd like to go. I felt they were doing it in retribution and punishment of my declining previous requests. In fact, I think people were trying to be considerate (or just tired of being rejected every single time).

I'm not saying any of us are obligated to go to lunch with someone just because they ask. I just think that it's usually an innocent gesture not motivated my anything darker, and we can accept or decline with that in mind. I also think that when we do accept a restaurant invitation, it's important not to fall into feeling (or acting) like a martyr. I have a friend who does that. We'll go out to a restaurant, and she'll make a fuss over how there's nothing on the menu that she can eat (even if she's the one who picked the restaurant). I'ved stopped giving her suggestions about low calorie options that I enjoy, because I just feel that much worse when she spends the whole meal complaining about the dish.

No matter what she orders, she'll complain during the whole meal about how she wanted to, or should have ordered something else. If she's ordered something high calorie she'll spend the whole meal complaining about it being a poor decision. If she's ordered something healthy, she'll spend the whole meal talking about how "good" she's being eating something so disappointing. She'll look at every plate longingly, and if anyone offers her some, she'll accuse them of trying to sabotage her.

When I make a health conscious choice in a restaurant, I don't advertise it. I act as if (and often it is true, and when not, I work on believing it) that my choice is the exact choice I wanted to make ("Mmm I want the salad, it sounds awesome", not [big sigh] "I guess I'll have a salad." When I decline dessert it's because I don't want any, not because "I'm being good."

As a result, we all enjoy the experience. I'm not saying that anyone has to make the choices I have, but it's a reasonable alternative to declining all lunch invites (which is also a legitimate option).

I just find that I do better when I don't contemplate other people's motives.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #10  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I don't think they do it on purpose but I do have trouble with pressure to eat and drink from my sisters from time to time. And my mother... she has days she is good but more days when she says I should give myself treats and suggests that I eat some junk food.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I posted about this very problem last weekend .When a friend or loved one tries to undermine your efforts for any reason.. whether intentional or not, it is just not acceptable. If you let it continue, eventually it could derail you. After giving it some thought, I decided that if the friendship couldn't withstand my new approach to eating, it would not be worth keeping.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #12  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

Amen to that! It wasn't the only reason I ended my friendship, but it was certainly a major consideration.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW: 295/218/160

Height: 5'8''

While I find that what kaplods said makes a lot of sense and is right on on a lot of levels, I feel like this early on in my journey I'm still so used to pleasing people by agreeing to go to which restaurant they choose, or eating whatever they serve for dinner because I am afraid they won't invite me anymore if I'm "difficult"...

I think some people DO choose to be around me because I'm the "Fat Girl" who makes them feel better about themselves.

Living in the city going out is just a way of life, so I'm trying to find some non-food activities to do with people and re-evaluating who is supportive and who will tell me I'm not fun if I don't drink with them, and cut those people out of my life.
jennynyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #14  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I've had some people at work that thought I was blowing them off because I didn't order out with them. I explained that I was eating healthy and on days when my will is good, I eat with them while they eat their take out. In that case they really weren't trying to sabatoge me but missed my company. There are other coworkers that are always offering me sweet treats. My sister is one however that does want to keep me in my role as the fat one. The good news is that she doesn't live close by. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between sabatoge and people with unhealthy habits that want to spend time with you or show their affection through food.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #15  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I must point out that, on occasion, I *do* find people who are genuine saboteurs. This is much rarer than the ones who are doing it unconsciously, but now and then there are people who don't want you to succeed. Why? Because it makes them look bad.

Case in point: Several years ago, I made an attempt to quit smoking. I proudly marked on the calendar each day I had gone smoke-free. Enter my sister who came to visit, took one glance at the calendar, and exclaimed, "Two weeks! You haven't had a cigarette in two weeks? You must really want one! Here!" No, she didn't shove the cigarette in my mouth and light it for me, and no she didn't stand over me with a gun to my head making me smoke it. But still.... (Please note that in the time since then, she and I have both successfully quit.)

I've had people do that with my dieting as well. I couldn't even put cream in my coffee without someone calling me fat, but then those same people would want me to join them in a dish of ice cream and act insulted if I didn't. It used to be that at family gatherings, all eyes were on my plate and what I was eating. If I took too much, or had dessert, they were ready with the snarky comments about my weight. But if I *didn't,* they'd pressure me until I *did,* whereupon they would commence the snark.... My therapist said they wanted to keep me fat, so they'd have something to put me down for.

Key words there, "it used to be." They don't do that anymore. I've moved 3,000 miles away from my home town. I had to teach my family that either they treat me with respect, or they don't see me.

And this is an unusual situation; most families are not abusive and dysfunctional in many other ways I have not noted here.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 02-16-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: perfectionism
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote