Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

Default So…speaking of annoying things people can say…lol (kinda long)

Like many here, I have tried to analyze previous dieting attempts and why they failed in order to formulate a plan that could actually succeed. What I’ve learned about myself is it is best to not be too hardcore (i.e. I can’t keep up a 1200 cal a day plan long term). I have to go sloooooowly (I’m losing about 5 pounds a month now). Also, I have to just be patient because my weight really fluctuates in response to my cycle. I hear of people on here calling a few weeks without losing a plateau but that is like every month for me lol but then I have 1-2 weeks where the pounds are “whooshing” off. So in the past I have gotten discouraged both about the slow rate of weight loss and the going 3 weeks without losing issue. But this time I am being patient and respectful of my body and the way it chooses to lose.
That being said, I don’t like to talk about how much weight I’ve lost because it puts the focus on that which makes me feel impatient where normally I’m just focusing on ensuring that I create a calorie deficit every day. At work, however, it is almost impossible for people to NOT know I am on a diet. I don’t know what it is about healthcare but there is always fattening crap in the breakroom and my coworkers are always ordering pizza or Chinese. I am always saying no and they always want to know why. So I have told them “it is not on my diet”.
Now I am lazy and therefore always eat either a lean cuisine or one of those lunchables sandwich packs that are 380 cals for lunch and my coworkers are ALWAYS overanalyzing my meal choice. “that has too much sodium” or “that has too much sugar” etc. (while eating their sesame chicken/fried chicken). I know it is not the healthiest meal but it works and it is calorie controlled and easy so I eat it. One man also pulled me aside and said “are you trying to lose weight? Try healthy choice instead” (I hate healthy choice for some reason.) (( btw, this comment came from a 22 year old, super skinny man who, during a different conversation, I learned didn’t even know that there was fat in an avocado so I don’t really take his advice too seriously lol)) Many of them have made comments like “you know, I used to only eat a lean cuisine at lunch and then I would go home and binge because I was so hungry”.
Slowly, I began to suspect that they don’t realize I’m being successful with my plan. But I thought I was being oversensitive so I shrugged it off. Well, yesterday, one woman asked me “Have you lost any weight eating like that?” And I said “of course”. And she said “oh!” (with really obvious surprise in her voice). Then she said “So is that all you eat all day?” lol and I said “of course not. I eat my 280 calorie breakfast every morning. Then I eat my 110 calorie bagel and my 220 calorie protein drink in the afternoon…” and then we got cut off by someone walking into the breakroom…
A few things bother me about this conversation. 1)I’ve lost 40 pounds since I started working there and they haven’t noticed (but they see me all the time so it’s probly just too gradual for them to notice) 2) my coworkers seem to be echoing the very impatience that I have been trying to fight. (this is the one that really actually DOES bother me) 3)How many calories does she think are IN that lunchables pack that makes her think I could live off of it for an entire day? lol
Just had to vent
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I feel your frustration. I don't even know that I have any words of advice. I guess this is the time to either shine them on or let them know exactly how much weight you've lost. I mean, like you, I don't normally share what I'm doing. But, you're with these people everyday and they are in your face with their advice. In for a penny, in for a pound? LOL! Maybe sharing how much you've lost at this point would get them off your back?

Really, I just wanted to encourage you to keep doing what is working for you! I also want to congratulate you on the 49#'s you've lost--great job!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: high weight:182/now172/130

Height: 5'4"

Ugh, I know what you mean!
I have a coworker always commenting on my food choices, one of those ladies who likes to go around saying things like "Uhg, carrot sticks?? Watch out for those suuuuugggggaaaaarrrrrrssssss." and "Whole wheat bread???? I can't believe you are eating all those bread calories when you are tryyyyiiiinnng to lose weight."

Gee, Thanks
EastCoastGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on your weight loss. The minute you say you are on a diet the diet police will appear and they will monitor every bite you take. For that reason I do not tell anyone I am dieting. I have noticed the people who are naturally thin, you know the ones that eat a half a sandwich or one bite of pie, never get those comments. They get by with saying Oh, I'm so full, I can't eat another bite. I had a neighbor who would eat half an apple for lunch ( she was not dieting) people just accepted that this is the way she is. But those of us that do diet, look out! Here it comes, all the unwanted comments. Try to ignore them as hard as that may be.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I guess they are trying to be helpful but it is just so silly. Everyone has to figure out what works for THEM and stay out of other people's business. Thanks everyone!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I just flat don't discuss my food choices or new lifestyle with anyone--other than a couple of very safe friends that are on the same page with me. I am so sorry you are faced with the morons that think it is OKAY to discuss what is going in YOUR body without you asking them to.

You are enjoying tremendous success here. You are obviously doing something right--and doing something that is working for you. You don't need to entertain anyone else's thoughts about your choices. Period. And as far as them noticing? Well, I encountered that too. You just keep going. Believe me when I tell you that the time will come that no one will NOT comment.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #7  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I just flat don't discuss my food choices or new lifestyle with anyone--other than a couple of very safe friends that are on the same page with me. I am so sorry you are faced with the morons that think it is OKAY to discuss what is going in YOUR body without you asking them to.

You are enjoying tremendous success here. You are obviously doing something right--and doing something that is working for you. You don't need to entertain anyone else's thoughts about your choices. Period. And as far as them noticing? Well, I encountered that too. You just keep going. Believe me when I tell you that the time will come that no one will NOT comment.
I know!! That was flat out rude, wasn't it? What planet are these people from where its ok to say something like that to someone?

OP: You just keep at it! 40 lbs is AWESOME! You are an inspiration. And don't let those tabbies get you down. You are amazing and we all know it!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I just posted in a thread about a weight-loss challenge at work that the idea of talking about my diet plan with my coworkers makes my skin crawl.

Your post, katkitten, is a good example of why.

To my mind, what people put in their mouths is nobody's business but their own. I'm lucky that I don't have people looking over my shoulder examining what I eat for lunch (good God, what kind of person does that??), but if someone asked me "why are you eating this?" or "why are you eating that?" I would say, as coldly and politely as I could, "because that's what I have for lunch today." If they persist in giving me advice, I would try to say something like "thanks, I'll take that under advisement" and go back to my lunch.

I hope this would convey the message that I'm not receptive to rude, prying questions about my lifestyle from people I happen to work with.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #9  

haha this post makes me glad I'm a guy...pretty sure I can't picture this type of conversation happening between dudes in the lunch room
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

That would really irritate me.

I have not had one person comment on what I'm putting in my mouth...and *everyone* knows I've changed my eating habits. And I've certainly been walked in on while eating a cookie or chips or something that might seem (to the uninformed) to be "off plan". No one has dared comment on it, though.

I have had one person ask, "You aren't backsliding (eating habits), are you?". She asked because I was distracted about something and I guess I seemed down. Firstly, NO, I am not. Secondly, is that your business? Thirdly, if I was backsliding would I want you asking me about it??! Sheesh!!!

People can be dumb and annoying sometimes. That includes me, though, so I try and be forgiving. :-)

Last edited by Cali Doll; 02-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
haha this post makes me glad I'm a guy...pretty sure I can't picture this type of conversation happening between dudes in the lunch room
You make an interesting point. I think it's because women are under more pressure to control their bodies & their appetites & intake so they can live up to a certain standard. It's a common struggle among many of us. The statistics on how many women are not happy with their weight, want to lose a few pounds & or are dieting or considering dieting are kind of scary. Since it's a common pursuit among us, we have strongly held convictions on it. (Witness discussions here about diet soda & Atkins, among other topics.) There are a lot of women who hold onto old but dearly held theories & even some folklore on this subject. Also, women are more inclined than men to share & discuss their problems with one another & to seek & offer support. These people think they are "helping" other women solve their problems.

Last edited by saef; 02-16-2010 at 04:54 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

I think all of us who make a real commitment to change have to deal with this. Just vent here, it's okay :-) I just think to myself, when I'm in a bikini this summer it will all be worth it.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/185/120

People are so judgmental it is ridiculous. I wouldn't worry about it, you are doing great! I get comments along the same lines all the time. I think they feel better about themselves by making those little comments. Next time, throw your food at them (kidding: but a great way to cut calories).
HomeHealthRN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #14  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

You know sometimes I miss having coworkers around (I work from home all but 2 weeks per year). These notes remind me of another good thing about working alone.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #15  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

What is it with healthcare offices and garbage in the kitchen/breakroom???

There is always (and I mean always, always, always) an assortment of cookies, doughnuts, bagels, pastries, candy, etc in our kitchen. I have not been at work one day and not seen some sort of treat on the table. But then when I've helped out at other healthcare offices or gone to other healthcare offices for a meeting, it's the same story. And then everyone at my work also orders Red Robin, Applebees, chinese, huge deli sammiches, etc for lunch.

You'd think at a healthcare office, people would be more health conscious?!
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote