100 lb. Club - What are you giving up?

View Full Version : What are you giving up?

aerotigergirl
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm not Catholic (or religious in any manner), but I am tangentially familiar with Lent. I've decided that this year, I'd like to try to give something up for Lent. But I'm having trouble deciding what I should give up...

Is the idea that you give up something for Lent that you can have again after?

I love pasta (I use the whole wheat kind when I make it at home). Seriously, I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and I don't think I'd ever get sick of it. But the idea of giving it up altogether forever makes me have the shakes. :o If the idea is that I'd give this up for Lent, then get to have it again (in moderation) after Lent, maybe this is a good idea. It might help me decrease my need for it and make me appreciate it more, and it would certainly be good for my body to not have it (at least for a little while).

What, if anything, are you considering giving up for Lent?

utgirl09
02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Sugar! No soda, no desserts, no candy, etc. I am actually using Lent as a jumping off point to nix the soda habit for good.

marigrace
02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I forgot, How many days is Lent...40 ? 40 days without homemade whole grain bread ? Now that's a concept....sure I could do that !

aerotigergirl
02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I understand that it runs from February 17 (Ash Wednesday) until easter (April 4th this year). So, that's 6 and 1/2 weeks.

I'm not sure I can give up pasta for that long. But it's supposed to be hard, right?

marigrace
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Spoken like a true lapsed person !

Michelle98272
02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
aerotigergirl~ I am curious to know what it is that you are holding in your hand in your avatar pic? It looks like an ostrich egg sized deviled egg.

In response to your original question...I'll give up alcohol. I obviously don't need it on a plan for healthy eating. I do like it though...especially after an especially hard day at work. I'll try some healthier coping strategies. I don't need the empty calories anyway!

aerotigergirl
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Michelle -- It's a blowfish, actually. My husband and I did a snorkeling trip on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. The dive guide could catch the fish with his hands underwater and he would bring them to us to see. He caught this one just as we were getting back on the boat, so we snapped a picture of me holding it.

Ann21
02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I feel so bad about giving up something for my own benefit for lent, but I always seem to. This year I'm giving up pizza, all kinds. Frozen, dominos, the awesome pizza place downtown on the square, etc. Pizza is my binge food, really it's the ONLY high calorie takeout food that I ever eat. I don't eat fast food, chinese, or anything else. So I'm hoping that giving it up for 40 days will make me not miss it.

Michelle98272
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Michelle -- It's a blowfish, actually. My husband and I did a snorkeling trip on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. The dive guide could catch the fish with his hands underwater and he would bring them to us to see. He caught this one just as we were getting back on the boat, so we snapped a picture of me holding it.

Oh, now I see it's little face in the front! Cute. What an exciting trip!

SnowboundChick
02-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Sugar! No soda, no desserts, no candy, etc. I am actually using Lent as a jumping off point to nix the soda habit for good.

This is me too! I started yesterday. I'm in a 6 week challenge on another non-weight loss board I belong to to give up something. So I'm on Day 2 of no Pepsi!

Trazey34
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not religious, so I wouldn't want to offend anyone by participating in what i think is a big deal to them -- what i don't understand is why Fat Tuesday is BEFORE lent...I'd much rather have the huge party and blow out after the deprivation is over LOL I guess the easter feast will have to do ;)

it's shrove tuesday....so shrive carefully!

Sandi
02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I am giving up pop. I know I should drink more water, but usually end up getting a diet pop. So I thought I would give it up for lent to get me on the straight and narrow!

cathydoe
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Actually this year I thought I would "do something" instead of giving up. My dh and mil go to church every Sunday...so I decided I will go to church with them during lent. Hopefully it will become a habit. I really do want to go to church... but I don't. Maybe I will figure out the reason. This is what I am doing for Lent.

aerotigergirl
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
You know, I didn't consider that. I apologize if I've offended anyone by bringing this up, as a non-religious person. I meant to show no disrespect to your religious beliefs and/or practices. I realize that I do not understand the true meaning behind Lent, I simply knew enough about it (ie I've had friends who practiced giving something up for Lent) to know that often-times people give something up for Lent. I'm sorry if it seems like I belittled or made minimal anyone's beliefs.

Trudiha
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not religious, so I wouldn't want to offend anyone by participating in what i think is a big deal to them -- what i don't understand is why Fat Tuesday is BEFORE lent...I'd much rather have the huge party and blow out after the deprivation is over LOL I guess the easter feast will have to do ;)

it's shrove tuesday....so shrive carefully!

The idea of having it before the Lenten fast is to use up all of the 'tempting' things that you might have in your store cupboard. For some Easter is a pretty big blow-out, for most of Lent, instead of having my mind on higher things, I'm thinking about the kind of Easter egg I'm going to have. :o

eratosthanes
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
As a quasi-Catholic (did the first two rites, but couldn't go through with it all the way) I feel okay with other people using Lent as a way to help ditch bad habits. I used to follow the dietary restrictions during Ramadan to help keep my binging in check, so I don't see how it is much different.

This year, my bf and I are going to give up eating out for the duration. We end up doing it a couple of times a week, and if things are hectic, possibly a few days in a row. I am an excellent cook, but Taco Bell is just so EASY!

salsa chip
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
As a practising (with all three Sacraments of Initation) Catholic, I'm mixed on what I think about non-practising Catholics observing seasons like Lent. But on the whole I'm not fussed with it so long as no disrespect to Christianity or the Christian tradition is intended. Besides, a bit of healthy self-denial didn't do anyone any harm, I don't think. Heck, what does my opinion count anyway? :)

From a believer's perspective I'm also dealing with the issues of applying discipline to myself during Lent which (at least at first glance) seems to be for my ends rather than God's. I'm trying to understand that as a part of God's creation I have a responsibility to take care of my own self too, and that when done with the correct intentions and methods - basically, if my motivation is well-grounded - then being the best person I can be can contribute to glorifying the Lord. It's not easy.

But I'm encouraged in this by comments and support from some close friends and clergy I know. Seeing that weight loss is part of bettering myself, and bettering myself is part of giving praise to God, which in one way or the other is the underlying occupation of my whole life...I've confidence that so long as I'm well-grounded, it's not going to be a selfish distraction. But it does mean keeping up my prayer life, scripture reading and outreach to others, as well as renouncing things.

To the poster who asked - no, in my understanding it's not the point that you can take up the things you'd given up after Easter as though nothing had happened. Lent is a preparation for Easter, which 'prepares' us for the great feast. So while you might go back to having a bit of sugar in your tea after Lent, it should be that you 'see' that in a different way.

Lent lasts forty days, but Sundays aren't included in the count :)

As for what I'll be giving up - this is going to sound like a complete cop-out but I've decided to not talk about it with others. For me it's part of the 'making sure this is about God and not about me' thing, if that makes sense.

gracelesswonder
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to 3FC and have been enjoying reading through some of the posts!

I'm Catholic and not offended by others giving up something for Lent - I've never met a Catholic who was. If you're looking for a good time to try to break a habit, I can't think of a better time! It's kind of like starting resolutions on New Years...

I'm giving up any thing that comes out of a deep fryer for Lent... also fasting on Ash Wed and going meatless on Fridays. Below is a little bit of the reasoning behind the tradition, in case you're interested.

Lent is a very solemn time period for Catholics, begins Ash Wed with the marking of ash on their foreheads and runs to Easter. It's basically an imitation of Christ's fasting in the wilderness for 40 days, and is meant to prepare (or cleanse) you for His resurrection on Easter Sunday.

In addition to giving something up for Lent, it's traditional to fast on Ash Wed and to not eat any meat on Fridays (except fish/seafood).

cathydoe
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
You know, I didn't consider that. I apologize if I've offended anyone by bringing this up, as a non-religious person. I meant to show no disrespect to your religious beliefs and/or practices. I realize that I do not understand the true meaning behind Lent, I simply knew enough about it (ie I've had friends who practiced giving something up for Lent) to know that often-times people give something up for Lent. I'm sorry if it seems like I belittled or made minimal anyone's beliefs.

I wasn't offended! I think this is a great topic...I didn't realize the idea of possibly making or breaking a habit could be a part of lent. I was "born" a Catholic...so many things I do I take for granted. I practice Catholicism doing the Cafeteria Plan (I pick and choose). Which I know someone, somewhere will blast me for it!

Mikayla
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I am Catholic, and it doesn't bother me when a non Catholic gives up something for lent. I also like to hear what people are giving up, I just think it makes for good conversation.

I'm giving up consuming most animal products for Lent, fish only and whatever animal products are in meat substitutes. I usually give up dessert but this year I'm not eating dessert and sugar anyway, so I decided to change it up a bit!

aerotigergirl
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
OK, I've decided for sure that I'm going to give up pasta. All things pasta. It's going to be a rough time for me for the next 6.5 weeks for sure. :( I figure I need to teach myself how to have a diet that includes absolutely NO pasta whatsoever, so that I can figure out a way to have a diet that includes pasta only once per week. Right now, if I have pasta on Monday, it makes me crave pasta on Tuesday even more... It sort of snowballs (when I'm off plan totally) into me having pasta every night if I can get my hands on it. ;)

And my husband, who has kindly agreed to participate with me this year, has agreed to give up "junk food". I told him this sounded a little "loosely defined", but we agreed it was anything that came from a vending machine (including pop), cookies, cake, candy, etc. We'll have to make a list, I guess. :dizzy:

astrophe
02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm thinking wheat or dairy.

I'm trying to see if that helps sinus issues, so Lent is a good a time as any.

A

LitChick
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I was going to ask about this but I didn't want to offend any non-Christians. ;)

I am Episcopalian and we also observe Lent. This year, I have decided to forgo my nightly snack(s) so no eating after supper. I also plan to read each day from a devotional and spend some quiet time with God. :)

kaplods
02-17-2010, 12:27 AM
I was raised Catholic, spent many years as a mostly-lapsed Catholic (periodically trying to be more observant), and converted to Missouri Synod Lutheran before I married my husband (because he was more committed to his denomination than I was to mine).

To try to explain the doctrine differences between the denominations to my side of the family (with no disrespect intended), we jokingly referred to the Missouri synod as "Catholic Light." Some of my husband's family are Wisconsin synod Lutheran, which is much more strict and old-school (more strict rule-wise in many ways than most Catholic churches) and some of the Missouri synod side of the family describe the Wisconsin synod as "more Catholic than Catholics."

As a Catholic, I didn't see the point of Lent, especially the meatless fast days, because growing up, it often meant going to the expensive seafood buffet on fridays - eating shrimp and crab until you burst (because you were only supposed to eat one full meal on that day, so you were starving by dinner). Lobster ok, ground beef, not (didn't sound like much of a sacrifice).

It's funny now that Lenten sacrifices are "optional," I have a lot more interest in making them. Although usually I try to make my Lenten obervance a "do something" rather than an "avoid doing something." That's just easier for me to commit to (not that I'm always any more successful than I was at giving up stuff).

Gracie789
02-17-2010, 12:54 AM
This year presents a bit of a conundrum since I don’t have food to give up (I don’t eat junk, sugar, soda, most processed foods, fast food, and I rarely eat out). While I love living healthy, it does make giving up something for Lent a challenge. Instead of giving up food this year I’ll be giving up self-destructive thoughts/behaviors. A huge part of my weight loss journey has been about self-love and learning to love myself completely. I’ve come a long way, but I still have a long ways to go before I’m 'healthy' in that respect. Lent seems like the perfect time to begin some 'self-esteem' improvement. :)

patchworkpenguin
02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
I grew up Missouri Lutheran, then my parents and I went non-denomimational, I attended Baptist schools, when I got married Hubby {grew up Baptist} and I 'church shopped', finally attended an United Methodist church, then we recently started attending a Presbyterian chruch. My parents have recently returned to the Lutheran church.

My quilting buddy, Renee is Catholic {ex-Baptist}, and she has gotten me into the habit of practicing Lent. I won't be giving anything up this year but made a commitment/promise to instead.

duckyyellowfeet
02-17-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm ELCA Lutheran. We're even more "Catholic Light" as the saying goes; I also attended a very liberal church at home.

That being said, the trend in my home church has been to give up something that leads to taking something good on. So this year, I'm trying to give up my excuses and take one more dedication to my work-outs.

matt_H
02-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I rarely drink at all anymore anyway (besides a few drinks I had over the weekend) so I think I'll give up alcohol completely for this period.

Besides giving up something, I'd also like to gain something--start a new positive habit. I've been going to the gym most days and I want to make a commitment to exercise to the best of my ability during this time and then see how I look and feel after Easter.

Trudiha
02-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I know that I'm going to be a little bit late on this but I'm going to give up smoking, not just for Lent, but forever. I like the idea of getting a little outside help and as a very lapsed Catholic, I think that this might be a good time of year for 'outside help'.

Tomorrow I'm seeing my doctor to get some Champix, so hopefully I'll be smoke free within the next two weeks.

LizR
02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm giving up watching TV (goodbye Olympics). I am also going to say something kind and cheerful to everyone I encounter and meditate daily. Just wanted to mention that several Protestant religions observe Lent. I'm Lutheran and we observe Ash Wednesday and Lent. I have a friend who is Methodist and they also have Ash Wednesday services.

Lori Bell
02-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm ELCA Lutheran. We're even more "Catholic Light" as the saying goes; I also attended a very liberal church at home.

That being said, the trend in my home church has been to give up something that leads to taking something good on. So this year, I'm trying to give up my excuses and take one more dedication to my work-outs.

Yes, me too! For our ELCA Lutheran Church, it's not about giving something up, it's about doing something positive...If you have to give something up in the process, than so be it.

Last year I had already given up all my vices, so I decided to make it my Lenten sacrifice to attend every Lenten service, that included Ash Wednesday, every Sunday, every Wednesday service, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. A whole lotta church. IT was awesome. The Pastor did a sermon each week on the seven deadly sins, concentrating on one each week. It was very enlightening.

This year I am going to do it again, but I'm also adding in a few more positive things. First my plan is to exercise at least 20 minutes each day, (I'm talking real excercise, not my normal activities). I am also giving up all refined sugar. If it's in a product I'm not eating it. I'm hoping it will help me get over the addictive urges I've had since Christmas on the crack like substance. I don't plan on binging on sugar come Easter Sunday. I'm hoping to keep it out of my life for good.

ETA: Oh and the scale....well, I hate it and I have become a slave to it, after I did so well, (for months and months) just using it as a tool. SO, I'm back to weekly weighing. I weighed this morning, and my new weigh day is Wednesday...until Easter, then I'll re-evaluate.

traci in training
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I've decided the best thing I can do for Lent is find my way back to church. I've been Lutheran all my life and that's what I intend to stay. Unfortunately, the Lutheran church I attended for several years became a big disappointment a few years ago and I just kind of quit going. I had been a church council member and the attitude and decisions of the council went against everything Christian I believe in.

So my goal for Lent is to find myself a church. Find my way back. Feels like the right thing to do.

TJFitnessDiva
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I was raised catholic and went through confirmation.....I'm now a practicing pagan (not classified in anything particular, more of a nature thing, do good towards others, etc). I don't really practice lent anymore but my children have questions about it since we just went through Mardi Gras so we are doing it this year (I want my children taught about all religions so they can decide for themselves on what they want to follow).

Anyways, I'm giving up cursing. I have evolved quite a potty mouth & I don't want to be that way anymore.

foxxy511
02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm a Catholic (btw, I think it's great if people want to observe the season and they're not Catholic!)and I always struggle with finding something to give up that has some meaning. Like some others mentioned, I like better the idea of picking up a good habit too rather than dropping a bad one for just 40 days. Although, I've got plenty of bad ones to drop!

So, this year I've decided to give up gossiping and hitting my snooze button! But, instead of not hitting the snooze, I'm going to use that time in the morning for meditation, saying a rosary, reading the daily scripture. Whatever I need to get focused for the day.

I hope everyone has a good Lenten season leading up to Easter (my favorite holiday!!)

Aclai4067
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm giving up pizza. I was planing on making February pizza-free month but I kinda cheated the other day. I had bread sticks and pizza sauce from papa johns. I had previously established with myself that pretzels with marinara qualify as pizza for this purpose, and really bread sticks are the same thing in a different shape. So I'm starting over, pizza (and pretzel/breadstick) free for lent. As someone on the fist page mentioned, this is a highly dangerous binge-food for me.

traci in training
02-18-2010, 02:42 AM
Anyways, I'm giving up cursing. I have evolved quite a potty mouth & I don't want to be that way anymore.

One of the nurses I work with is doing this but she cheated all day so we convinced her to put a quarter in a jar everytime she curses during Lenten season and give the money to charity. We don't think she'll quit swearing but she's going to make a charity VERY happy in 40 days!

soulnik
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm a former Baptist minister. I'm no longer a Christian but many of the Christian traditions for me still have meaning. Lent was always a season of spiritual & self reflection; a time to reconnect with God and self. The point of giving up something always meant removing something from my life that got in the way of my connecting to the Divine. Some years, instead of giving up something, I would add a practice that connected me more deeply to Spirit.

All of this to say that though I am no longer Christian, I am still practicing Lent. So this year I've given up TV. Good idea for my spiritual/emotional life. Hard on my eating life. We'll see how it goes!