100 lb. Club - 6 lb weight GAIN! wtf??

View Full Version : 6 lb weight GAIN! wtf??

Michelle98272
02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I bought a new scale and when I stepped on it I was 6 lbs heavier than I am on my old scale. I was SO hoping for some instant weight loss! I must have weighed myself 10 times going back-forth, back-forth between the two scales. No matter what... it was 5.5 to 6.5 lbs different! :mad:

Funny thing...if it had showed a magic 5.5-6.5 lb weight loss I would have been ecstatic to take that as a true loss but I'll be damned if I'm taking it as a gain...I'm just adjusting my start weight! :rolleyes:

cfmama
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Good plan. My old scale weighs me 3.5 pounds HEAVIER so yah I got some instant weight loss... I however did not adjust my starting weight down (bad me!)

You are still doing awesome. But scales suck.

PeanutsMom704
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Michelle -

I posted a new thread about changing scales earlier this morning!! I haven't actually bought it yet (plan to go out during my lunch hour) but I'm assuming that they will not match up either.

So I don't know what to do - keep my old scale around to do a once a week "official" weigh in, or reset my starting weight or just keep adding or subtracting every week.

I wouldn't consider it a gain though. I mean, even if you adjust your starting weight, you'd still want to give yourself credit for the 7 lbs you've lost so far!!!

Lori Bell
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh Michelle, at least you can blame it on a new scale and not from pigging out on sugar cookies and chocolate, and everything thing else that didn't eat you first! (Which are my +5 pounds results from the weekend of Love...)

lauralyn
02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I was going to buy a new scale that measures body fat but just as I was entering my cc info online to purchase it I back off and changed my mind. I just had a sinking feeling that when it arrived I would step on and see a higher number than on the one I have now and it would have depressed me.

Eliana
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I think adjusting your numbers is a great way to deal with it. You've still lost the same number of pounds. And you look the same. ;)

My old scale weighed me 15 lbs light! :yikes: And I liked it. LOL! This time around I just plain bought a new scale.

ubergirl
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Good plan. My old scale weighs me 3.5 pounds HEAVIER so yah I got some instant weight loss... I however did not adjust my starting weight down (bad me!)

You are still doing awesome. But scales suck.

LOL, me either.

Michelle98272
02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
oh trust me, I'd not have adjusted the weight if I came out on the lighter end...LOL

dragonwoman64
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I went through that too, only it was more like 9 lb gain from the scale change. That was traumatic, let me tell you. I can say now "don't take it too seriously, it's not like you gained the weight," like Lori says (since that was quite a while ago), but at the time it did make me feel like crying.

onward and downward, onward and downward, ha.

JustBeckyV
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
UGH -- that would be frustrating! I have no plans to get a new one anytime soon!