100 lb. Club - 75 pounds down! And travel NSV!

View Full Version : 75 pounds down! And travel NSV!

ubergirl
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, after whining yesterday about my slow-poke loss, I stepped on the scale this morning and realized that I had finally hit.

:carrot::carrot::carrot:SEVENTY-FIVE POUNDS DOWN:carrot::carrot::carrot:

That's right! Three quarters of the way to ONE HUNDRED POUNDS.

With the next pound down I'll be in the two-teens. I have NEVER BEEN in the Two-teens.

Plus, I just had a huge personal NSV. At the last minute, about a week ago, I was invited at the last minute to join an international delegation. I was really thrilled. This is a WONDERFUL opportunity.

A year ago, I would have been paralyzed-- accept or not accept?? There were so many worries: would the seat belt fit? Could I figure out what to wear? Would they be disappointed when they realized that they had invited someone who was morbidly obese (and wouldn't look good in all the PR photo ops???) In spite of all of my professional accomplishments, I used to sometimes turn down amazing opportunities like this, and if I accepted it, it was just constant mental torture. I'd be heading out right now to an expensive specialty plus size shop trying to construct some semblance of a wardrobe in size 24. I used to buy a NEW outfit almost every time I had to appear in public, because I could never find anything to wear.

Now, I have the normal worries about getting ready for the trip, but none of the trials of morbid obesity to contend with. I know I'll fit in the seat, have something to wear, and look ordinary in the photos.

Yesterday, I was feeling kind of down. With my weight loss so much slower, it's not so obvious to me any more how far I've come. I'm pretty much used to being this size, and I can't really fathom where I was before.

So, I pulled my favorite old pair of size 24 jeans off my shelf. Last year, They would have gone with me on this trip even though they are black velveteen and wouldn't be appropriate for the season where I'm going, but I always knew I could count on them to fit.

But, yesterday, I pulled them on, and there was just no way to mistake that they were FAT PANTS-- absurdly and ridiculously big. The waistband did not touch the widest part of my hips.

That's when I realized that I need to spend less time worrying and more time patting myself on the back.... I need to remind myself how far I've come, and the speed of weight loss is not SO important, because the weight does come off.

If you don't quit, you can't fail. That is my favorite saying.

aerotigergirl
02-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Congratulations! You've done an amazing job with your weight loss! It's really easy to get down on yourself for not losing "fast enough"... But you're right, the weight does come off at some point, and that's what matters!

Congratulations to you on 75lbs gone forever!

cathydoe
02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
WTG ubergirl!

LizR
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Whoot! :yay:

Have a great time on your trip. :D

PeanutsMom704
02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Congrats - major milestone on weight loss, but your mental attitude is a much, much bigger victory!

clewles81
02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Congrats!!

losermom
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Now, I have the normal worries about getting ready for the trip, but none of the trials of morbid obesity to contend with. I know I'll fit in the seat, have something to wear, and look ordinary in the photos.

That's when I realized that I need to spend less time worrying and more time patting myself on the back.... I need to remind myself how far I've come, and the speed of weight loss is not SO important, because the weight does come off.

If you don't quit, you can't fail. That is my favorite saying.

This rings so true for me. Congrats Ubergirl! This is your new normal.

calluna
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
This is great! The delegation sounds like an enormous opportunity, and the freedom to truly experience it is yours, due entirely to your hard work and stick-to-it-iveness. Well done! :hug:

ANewCreation
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm so happy for you and I love your new saying! I think I'll use it myself, if you don't mind ;)

catherinef
02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Yay! You rode it out! Congratulations on hitting 75 pounds lost and your extremely awesome NSV!

Eliana
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
What a great feeling to just be normal! And I'm so pleased that you've decided to pat yourself on the back more. That's a good lesson for all of us.

HotWings
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Great job!! That is SO SO awesome! Just knowing the airplane seat belt will fit is a BIG deal. That is one thing I always worry about... what if I have to travel. This post was SO inspirational.. another reason to stay with my plan! Thanks! :D

constance21
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Congrats!!! That is SO great!!!!!

ubergirl
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks everybody!!! Although, I must say, the feeling of calm was short-lived. I sit around in size 3x stretch pants and old fleeces most of the time. I have barely any clothes than fit at my current size, and I think I'm supposed to look sharp.

I don't even really know what people wear when they are trying to look nice. Before, I had so few choices that I just did the best I could. Now, I have NO IDEA.

rockinrobin
02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I had so few choices that I just did the best I could. Now, I have NO IDEA.

Oh don't worry about that - you'll learn! And it's fun! You get to find out your own *style*.

And can I just say here -

I am so happy for you. I am so happy for you. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

I like your phrase, here's another one for you -

"the surest way to not fail, is to determine to succeed."

And you my dear are one determined lady! Nuf' said. :D

gumboot
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
That is awsome! Congratulations on your progress so far! :hug:

dragonwoman64
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks everybody!!! Although, I must say, the feeling of calm was short-lived. I sit around in size 3x stretch pants and old fleeces most of the time. I have barely any clothes than fit at my current size, and I think I'm supposed to look sharp.

I don't even really know what people wear when they are trying to look nice. Before, I had so few choices that I just did the best I could. Now, I have NO IDEA.

wow, fantastic news! congratulations! I have a feeling you'll make a smooth transition into picking out those sharp outfits, and will make a great impression.

I love reading your posts. I can get such a clear sense of all the joy you get from your accomplishments, it's inspiring. :)

StellarGirl
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Way to go! Our goals are about the same even though you're a bit ahead of me...so you are an inspiration! Enjoy your trip! =)

traci in training
02-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I would like to point out that I TOLD you a week ago you were almost to that mini goal! Great job!!!

What to wear - you can't go wrong with a jacket, right? In my old life I traveled a lot and I took one pair of pants, one skirt, one blazer, however many tops for the number of days I was going to be gone. One pair flannel pants and one sweatshirt for sleeping and - if I had to fly after ten o'clock at night - to fly in. Throw in a couple of pieces of bright jewelry and you are good to go. Oh, and a pair of heels if you have to and a pair of flats for the airport, etc. and a pair of tennies or mocs.

I haven't been on a business trip for almost four years but I bet I could still pack in twelve minutes! Now it's just scrubs and go to work - heaven!

emilydreaming
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Congratulations, ubergirl. You are an inspiration, and I'm so, so happy for you!

ubergirl
02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I would like to point out that I TOLD you a week ago you were almost to that mini goal! Great job!!!

What to wear - you can't go wrong with a jacket, right? In my old life I traveled a lot and I took one pair of pants, one skirt, one blazer, however many tops for the number of days I was going to be gone. One pair flannel pants and one sweatshirt for sleeping and - if I had to fly after ten o'clock at night - to fly in. Throw in a couple of pieces of bright jewelry and you are good to go. Oh, and a pair of heels if you have to and a pair of flats for the airport, etc. and a pair of tennies or mocs.

I haven't been on a business trip for almost four years but I bet I could still pack in twelve minutes! Now it's just scrubs and go to work - heaven!

Thanks Traci, that's helpful. Funny enough, I started out in a scrubs only job and have ended up working in the other direction....

traci in training
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Uber - wish I could just twitch my nose and put some clothes in your closet - except the pants would be way too short! I have two blazers I usually traveled with - one is black and tan and one is black with colored pin stripes. Both very easy to match stuff to. I always take a black pencil skirt and a pair of black slacks. Boring, but easy to pack, easy to get dressed, etc. And everything fits in a carry-on bag so you're not chasing luggage. I also have a black jumper that I've traveled with. You can put any color under it and it doesn't wrinkle. And there's always a hotel laundry.

kuhrisuh
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Congratulations on being offered that opportunity! That is really, really exciting! I know you're worried and stressed now, but I bet once you get there you'll be so busy learning and having fun and working that you'll forget all about the things that are bothering you now :).

I hate that I let my weight affect what I do/don't do. I've missed out on so many things simply because I hate how I look. The fact that you are doing this is something I really admire. & YOU'VE LOST 75 LBS! YOU ARE A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!!

PS - i love that saying! putting it up on my wall :)!

H8cake
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
75 pounds is AWESOME! Whenever you start feeling discouraged put those big pants on to remind you where you started. You are doing so fantastic!
Maybe buy a few new things in your current size for your trip. It will make you feel great.

ubergirl
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
75 pounds is AWESOME! Whenever you start feeling discouraged put those big pants on to remind you where you started. You are doing so fantastic!
Maybe buy a few new things in your current size for your trip. It will make you feel great.

Well, I just bought a few things!!:carrot::carrot:

Two white sheaths and a cute ruffly sweater at BANANA REPUBLIC!!!

I have never even WALKED INTO Banana Republic before!!

And an extravagantly cute pair of shoes!

:D

It is just astonishing what a difference this weight loss thing actually makes!

LitChick
02-16-2010, 11:20 PM
That is awesome! I am so happy for you! :carrot:

And what a great NSV - it's great when we start allowing ourselves to do those things we were always scared to do, isn't it? :bravo:

Gracie789
02-17-2010, 01:01 AM
:cheer3: Congrats! You've made some awesome progress and the international delegation sounds like fantastic opportunity. Keep up the amazing work! :cheer3: