South Beach Diet - Monday Motivations Chick Chat

View Full Version : Monday Motivations Chick Chat

cottagebythesea
02-15-2010, 06:41 AM
:coffee:

Let's start off this fresh new week with renewed motivation!

Am I the only one that has to work today? Actually I really don't mind spending the day with my delightful girls, and I love it when they're home from school. But I do mind the fact that we're expecting another couple of inches of snow later today. I hope it holds off until I get home!

So what's on everyone's plans on their extra day off? :cofdate:

TwynnB
02-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Good morning cottage! Where's Okie this morning?!

You're only expecting 2 inches? Originally, that's what they projected for us, but it's been creeping up. I haven't checked the forecast today though. I'm good with it, because the sledding snow yesterday was poooooooor. Need more!

I had a bad eating weekend. Surprise, surprise :D. (My bad weekends are NO WAY near what they used to be!) But, I have a ham bone ready to make my soup, and today is a new day.

I have to work cottage! DOesn't everyone but the government and banks?

Ruthxxx
02-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the coffee, Cottage. I've been up since five thanks to my doggie alarm clock. Yes, they are back on the early schedule despite staying up until 11 last night watching the Olympics. I love figure skating! Shades of my youth!

The usual stuff on the agenda today. I am having a visit from five puppies today and need to really clean the stove room and kitchen floors. There is no way that five 5-week puppies are getting the run of the house. These are Jazz's half brothers and it will be interesting and fun to see them. "No, Ruthie. You can't keep one."

On with the day. If you have a holiday today, enjoy. The next one is Easter and that's just under seven weeks away.

ETA: 'Morning, Twinn. Sorry you have to work.

cottagebythesea
02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Twynn, the weather map is showing this storm is going to concentrate more north and west of us, so that should be you. ;) Enjoy it! We're supposed to get between 1-3".

Ruth, we were up late watching the Olympics, too. I especially enjoy the figure skating and the skiing. I think anyone who can ski through the moguls should get an award. That looks so hard! Are you sure you don't want to adopt another puppy?

Chelby29
02-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Happy Monday!

Cottage, I have to work today, too. It's been a long weekend and I'm ready for my routine and healthy eating again. :)

Twynn, A ham bone is one of my favorite prizes! :D

Ruth, Were you a figure skater? I've stood on skates, but couldn't make myself go forward...

Me: Yesterday, the weatherman's forecast said that we were supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow last night and that roads would be treacherous today. But, he was wrong. Life as usual today. Yay for me. Boo for the weatherman. I would really hate his job. Talk about a Hero or a Zero! :lol:

There are a few leftovers from the party still hanging out in my fridge. I'm hauling them to the office today. They will eat them up! I'm having steamed brussel sprouts!

Re: those moguls in the Olympics... My knees would fall off of my body! Sheesh!

Heidi58
02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Good morning ladies! :wave:

You've been chatting about all the things I love this morning - snow, sledding, puppies and the Olympic ice skating! I stayed up way too late watching, too and I'm really dragging this morning. I guess I'm getting too old for 2 late nights in a row. lol

I don't have to teach school today but my house needs a good cleaning and my laundry has piled up so I can't say I'm not going to "work" today. I'm going to try to get a walk in, too, if it's not too windy. Not enough snow left to snowshoe, and what's here is icy so I can't comfortably walk the logging trails now but there is so much sand/salt on the roads that you get blasted trying to walk in the wind. I'm anxious for spring - or for more snow. :)

Enjoy your Monday!

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Good morning :coffee2: I indulged in some extra sleep this morning and am just getting my first cup of coffee. Driving always exhausts me.
Looks like we are on the 3-6 snow path. I can actually see large patches of lawn now. It hasn't really felt warm but obviously has been warm enough.

Cottage - I am off today because DW has it off. We have 6 set and 6 floating holidays. Have a fun day with the girls and a safe drive home.

Twynn - Enjoy your soup :)

Ruth - You are full of surprises. That puppy visit sounds like lots of fun and slightly dangerous ;)

Chelby - Wow, sounds like a very successful party with all kinds of entertainment ;) Brussels sprouts are one of my faves. Yum

Heidi- I have the same problem walking here. I'd prefer spring but it looks like more snow for us. I'm about to create my chore list for the day and I know it's going to be long. Lots of playing but not much cleaning so far this weekend ;) Hope you can get out for a little air and sunshine today.

Well it's a weekend catch-up day around here. Lots of vacuuming, cleaning, and cooking to do for the week. I'm sad that it's the last official long weekend until the end of May. Luckily I've got plenty of vacation days left so I'll make my own long weekends when I need them.

Is anyone else using the Wii with more than one person? It is so funny! This morning it asked DW if my posture was improving. She checked the hadn't noticed answer. It lectured her about paying attention to me. Then it told her that it was important to make eye contact with dogs :rofl: It also tells on her when she doesn't get on it for a few days. I think it likes to make trouble.

Time to get to that list. Have a good Monday whatever your plans

Mmckellen
02-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi all! I'm off, but so is my son, so we are spending the day together. He wants to go to Chinatown. I'm totally exhausted and really need some sleep! I'm also recommitting to the basics today. Sorry no personals, but I just wanted to check in.

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 08:13 AM
:coffee:
Let's start off this fresh new week with renewed motivation!

Good Idea, Cottage! Actually, I just had a big glass of water so I can move to :coffee:. We got home at 10 last night, too late to p/u the doggies. Everything just got dumped on the floor so I guess I'll try to get picked up and start anew. We had a great trip and met some really wonderful people.

I'm ready to get back into my routine!

Heidi58
02-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey - welcome back Debbie! :wave:

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Heidi. About 6 hours into our drive home yesterday, I was again recognizing I'm quite a homebody, but I'm glad we said we'd go.

femmecreole
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Morning all!!
Quite a storm here last night. So far, the morning looks ok, but there are HUGE puddles everywhere. What a wet winter.
Not sure what our plans are for today....will play it by ear. Maybe to N.O. for Lundi Gras, or maybe the movies or maybe a quick road trip.

Heidi, on the wii...last night Terry (husband) and I decided to bowl and we each won a game...then he said "let's try golf". I know nothing about golf at all. I skunked him every game...we played 2 3 hole games and 2 nine hole games.. I decided I LIKE golf! I am so sore this morning though..who'da thunk it?

It's fun being here with you on a Monday morning.

WaistingTime
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Good morning all! No personals (yet)... teens sleeping in basement again so I am using DH's new laptop and am finding it hard and annoying to keyboard and mouse.

Since we have a bunch of boys over, DH will stay home while I cycle and yoga. The gym will be extra busy because of the holiday. Speaking of... we have less than 4 weeks until our boys' spring breaks from school.

Catch you all later.

Schmoodle
02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi chicks. I am off today. I'll clean house, do laundry, do some cooking for the week, and DS wants me to run him to the mall later on. I've got lots of paperwork and loose ends to tie up in the office too. I'm happy to see we are only forecast for 1 - 3 inches of snow also. I kept hearing 5 - 10 inches from people over the weekend. If it's truly closer to 1, then there's a chance my kids might get back to school tomorrow. Today is day 10 off school, and even they are starting to think that's just too much. If I'd known, I definitely would have gotten out of here and taken a vacation.

The kids are the only valentines I've got around right now, so I took them to see Avatar yesterday, and made them lasagna and cake for dinner. I loved Avatar! No word from DH, but I think he's in the middle of changing ships. I have no idea where he's headed. I also spent some time hanging pictures yesterday. I had a big pile of school pictures and portraits of the kids that I'd never gotten around to hanging. It was very satisfying to come down the stairs this morning and see them all up!

Ruth, you were a skater? It looks so hard. I can hardly walk let alone on ice.
Cyndi, hope you had a fun trip to the shore!
Chelby, how did the party go? Was everyone able to make it?
cottage, sorry you have to work today.
Debbie, glad you had a fun trip. Any pix?
Have fun and enjoy your day off, Cat, whatever you do.
Heidi, hope you will get your snow! As long as it stays away from us...
Have a great day, Karen.
Have a fun day with DS, Mmc.
Twynn, I hope you get your snow too, as long as it stays N and W of me! I REALLY need my kids to go back to school.

Heidi58
02-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Heidi, on the wii...last night Terry (husband) and I decided to bowl and we each won a game...then he said "let's try golf". I know nothing about golf at all. I skunked him every game...we played 2 3 hole games and 2 nine hole games.. I decided I LIKE golf! I am so sore this morning though..who'da thunk it?
lol :D
So far my DH hasn't really wanted to try much, but he sits around and gives me suggestions on what to try next.... ;) I'm headed to MA to see my parents for a few days this week and as silly as it seems I'm bringing the wii with me. I think my mom would have fun with some of the balance games and things. Neither one of us has ever played golf in real life, but maybe we'll try some virtual golf. :p

Schmoodle - good for you getting the pictures up. My mom has always been great about displaying photos. As a kid I loved seeing my photo all over her house - as I teen I hated it. lol But my sisters and our husbands and kids all feel pretty nice when we go into her house and see so many photos of us on display. Makes you feel really loved. :)

kip
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Good morning everyone!

I wasn't officially off today, but my daughter doesn't have school today for President's Day so I took off work to be home with her... which is great because I woke up to SNOW!!! Lots and lots of snow and our winter weather warning isn't over until 7 tonight!

I got on the scale and I am finally in the 175's too... YES!!! I finally broke that 176 -177 i have yo-yoed with for over a week!

I made the south beach phase 2 chocolate dipped strawberries last night for Valentines Day. I will admit that I must have some sort of chocolate melting/dipping disability... couldn't get the chocolate the right consistency for dipping... but I smeared some on them and stuck them in the freezer. They didn't look that pretty but really, how can you go wrong with chocolate and strawberries? Gosh, it felt like we were cheating the whole time we ate them!

Everyone have a good day!!

katybug12
02-15-2010, 10:17 AM
We have around seven inches of snow, but I still have class! oh well. I do need new motivation this week. I've noticed I've become somewhat lazy keeping track of sugar, and as a consequence, the cravings are coming back with a vengeance. Have a great day everyone!

femmecreole
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I am such a doof. I was wondering why so many people were off of work today...Presidents Day!! We don't have that day off because of Mardi Gras' two day holiday. I need to get in touch with the bigger world...

texasmama
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Good Morning, everyone. I've been a lurker for quite a while, but I'm serious about doing SB this time! I too, am at work today! I watched some of the olympics, but I didn't stay up late, b/c my alarm goes off at 4am, so I missed some of it. Everyone have a great day!

Maryjaneld
02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Hello everyone,
Hope everyone had a good valentine's day. I'm off today too, gotta love those presidents.

congrats Kip, that's exciting. Those strawberries sound great!

tammies00
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Morning everyone!!

I am off today. The kids, hubby, and me are going to work together and get this house back in order. I didn't do any cleaning yesterday because hubby and I "stayed" in bed all day playing a silly computer game. We played a nancy drew mystery game. LOL Not quite the romantic valentines day, but we had a lot of fun.
So I am back down the two pounds I was up from last week.

This coming weekend we have to go to a "mandatory" family fun weekend sponsored by hubby's unit. Since he is technically a "drill seargent" the army is paying for this weekend away for all of the guys in the unit and their families. We are going down to Destin. I think since we will be at a hotel near the beach food choices should be ok. I am planning on taking snacks and such. So I think I will be ok.

Hope you all have a great day.

Tammie

Chelby29
02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Cat, I was in college before I realized that Mardi Gras wasn't a national holiday! :)

Schmoodle, The party was GREAT! We had 49 attendees! Went through 14 quarts of seafood gumbo. Did you read my story on yesterday's daily thread? If not, you need to read about Auston and his cousin getting naked at the party. sheesh!

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Did you read my story on yesterday's daily thread? If not, you need to read about Auston and his cousin getting naked at the party. sheesh!

I read through the weekend thread, but missed that. Time to re-read and catch up!

1oftheLuvs
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

I'd love to join your daily motivational group... I used to play over here with you gals back when I did South Beach before and I really appreciated both the friendships and accountability. There are a few of you that I recognize from those days and it's really good to see you are still here... :wave:

I decided this morning that I need to quit beating myself up about going off program and gaining back the weight that I lost previously... The experience definitely needs to be used as a learning lesson, but there is nothing to be gained by continuing to give myself such a hard time about it. Why is it that I'm so quick to forgive others and so hard on myself?

I had my first official weigh in this morning after 1 full week on Phase 1... I lost 7.5 pounds this past week, and am trilled to have that 5 pounds over my previous high weight gone for good! :carrot:

Have a great beachy day all....

jennyplain
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi chicks,

Made it through the snow to work. I didn't even get to have any fun on the roads. I was stuck behind someone going 22 miles an hour in one lane, and some jerk on a cell phone in the other lane going between 20-30, so I couldn't pass slowpoke number one. I was pissed - the roads weren't even snowy, just wet! But I'm here at work, glad I made it in, because I have a lot to do.

My WI was this morning, and I am down about 2 pounds (give or take a couple of ounces). I wish it had been more, but if I'm being totally honest with myself, I probably let a lot of fat and not enough vegetables into my diet last week. This week, I'm starting fresh and trying to get in everything I need, and bring more healthy snacks to work instead of just string cheese.

I had a panic attack this morning when trying to figure out the calories on some healthy South Beach chili I made. I used one of those online calorie counters, and it said that my 3 cans of black beans had FOUR THOUSAND calories. I nearly passed out on the spot! Then a much more reasonable calorie counter informed me that 1/2 cup of Goya black beans has 90 calories, and there are 2 and a half servings in a can. So three cans is 405 calories. NOT four thousand. Good golly, Miss Molly!

Hope you are all having good days, whether they are snowy or not!

Schmoodle
02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Chelby, I missed that! Sounds like quite a party!

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for joining in, 1oftheLuvs. Time to move forward, I think most of us have put ourselves down for working so hard then regaining. There are lots of us who are working hard to not let that happen again, so you'll fit right in. It's been almost a year since my backslide, and it's one day at a time for me.

Today, since I've been off plan for 3 days what I can do to prevent the 20 pound backslide is to get back OP today-not tomorrow or next week. I've posted my meal plan and am really looking forward to my healthy routine.

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Jenny - I think it's usually 3.5 servings in a can (what a stupid amount!) so a little more but not even close to 4000. Congrats on the weigh-in :carrot:

Debbie - It's great to see you back :) Great advice as usual

Cat - I got 4 stars on the Wii Fit golf thing last night and I've never golfed before either! Silly game

Schmoodle - The coast is always lovely. Not so many eagles this year because it's been warm and the rivers are open further up, but still lots of fun. I have got to get out and see Avatar!

WaistingTime
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Wow! So many chicks posting! I guess if I want to do personals I need to be on here at my usual early time to keep everything straight. Phew.

So just a quick shout-out to Debbie to say "welcome back". More trip details? I see we have some new Midwestern chicks on here joining us:)

Have a great rest of the day all!

3KidsMom
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
The kids had school today to make up for a snow day so it was just DH and I. :carrot:We went to a movie, which we had been planning for almost two weeks now and I had planned a cheat for today. I had my cheat and am right back on track for a healthy dinner tonight. So many times I have a cheat and then that seems to give me permission to just screw up they rest of the day (and weeks, months) so it's all good! But I do wonder if it was really worth it?

Yeah 1oftheLuvs, don't beat yourself up. It sounds like you had a great 1st week on phase 1! :)

weezle
02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi everybody! Just wanted to say hey real quick! Hope everyone's having a great day!

Lisa

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi everybody! Just wanted to say hey real quick! Hope everyone's having a great day!

Lisa

:twirly:Do I know you?:moo:

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
So just a quick shout-out to Debbie to say "welcome back". More trip details? I see we have some new Midwestern chicks on here joining us:)

Thanks for asking, Karen. It was a long trip, 2 days driving for the one day we visited. We were on the Hopi reservation, very near the Grand Canyon in Arizona. We stayed at their cultural center, which was centrally located. There isn't a good grocery store, and in the winter when they can't garden the nearest store is 70m one way. We visited friends of my friends and attended some of their ceremonies. I was glad to have planned ahead and brought some food, and ate several meals at the cultural center. I really had a unique opportunity to visit and participate in their daily life. Very simple from what we are used to. I got a new piece of jewelry and DH bought a book-we are boring.

Debbie, glad you had a fun trip. Any pix?

Pix were not allowed in the villages, and other than that there wasn't much photo-worthy.

I have had the day to contemplate my food choices while travelling. In retrospect, I will next time make a better effort to eat OP. I think my decision to eat "off plan" was realistic on one hand but also provided a convenient excuse to delve into food that would have been better to totally stay away from. My worst offense was snacking on some things in the car that were packed for DH and next time I'll work harder to have better snacks for myself. I am finding it really easy to hop back OP (no cravings) but caught myself wanting to nibble some of the tortilla chips as I was unpacking this morning. I can see how easy it is to turn 3 days into a week or a month, but really want to stay OP. No cheats today-just a bit tired from travel.

I missed you all and I'm glad to see all the new beachers checking in here today.

Chelby29
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Debbie, I feel your pain! I ate Mardi Gras food Saturday and Sunday. Today I'm back on plan, but it sure would have been easy to eat Auston's Doritos as I was packing them for his snack. Here's to returning to PLAN! :D

Your trip sounds so interesting! I'm surprised an Indian Reservation doesn't have a grocery store. Do you think they want one?

Lexxiss
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Chelby, I don't really understand how it works, but I think it has to do with ownership-which means the big guys don't come, and the small ones don't survive.

:cheers: to returning to PLAN! I'm drinking lots of water today.

jenne1017
02-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Evening all-

The hotel stunk big stinky cheese. So I am writing them a letter. Quick pop in before work tomorrow -- Unless it snows.

Regardless, I have to get to the Dr for my results tomorrow so wish me luck! It's an early appt so I will let you all know.

Hugs
Jenn

Chelby29
02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jenn!

WaistingTime
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Debbie - Coincidentally I am sitting here working on my long car ride out your way next month! Right now I am trying to find grocery stores near where we are staying so we can stock up the condo. Next I will move on to some good restaurant options so that we don't end up starved and I get stuck with a place with not good options. Got to keep everyone happy. Then I will think about car foods... I am determined to stay OP on this trip!

Chelby - Tonight I roasted frozen green beans and was pleasantly surprised! DH underestimated the time for the meat on the grill and the bean got better the longer they cooked. I ate tons and will do this again. Thanks for the tip. I actually got in my full veggie servings today:)

Jenn - I'm thinking good thoughts.

I am a basketball widow yet again tonight... so here I am. And I pulled out my book for a refresher. Catch you all tomorrow.

jenne1017
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
thanks chick peas!

OMG is it weird to be excited to FINALLY be abel to take out the garbage? All the recycling has been in the house b/c the bins were under about 7 feet of snow -- DW dug them out and not the kitchen door is clear! Well, except for the cooler :lol3: