Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310?/310?/175

Height: 5'10"

Default I'm new here; but I expect to be around for a long time !!

Hey all !!

I'm writing to you from Eastern Canada. I really don't even know what I weigh as my digital scales only go up to 300 lbs; and it's scary to see that "Err" when it won't register my weight.

I am tired of not fitting into my clothing. I only have one pair of jeans which fit me right now.

I gained a lot of weight in the last year because of taking two different types of antidepressants. How do I know it was the antidepressants ? Nothing has changed except that factor.

I'm ready to start.....but I don't know where to begin. Can anyone tell me the best place to start to make little changes ?

As I said in my title, I'm new here, but I expect to be around for a long time. I've let my weight get out of hand and it's going to stop here.

Looking forward to getting to know you
Tracy
emilymegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #2  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

welcome, I personally think calorie counting is the best. I would also start with walking or something as often as you can at first. Take things one day at a time. Good luck!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #3  

Welcome!

Here's my suggestion

calories in < calories out = weight loss

Make one behavior change a week for both "calories in" and "calories out". Focus first on things that are your biggest problems or weaknesses.

A ton of people on here subscribe to the "little" habit changes and I think there is a lot of merit to that. That didn't work for me however, I couldn't have 100 bad habits and slowly count down to 99, 98, 97. I was too far off where I needed to be.

I started more aggressively and made a pretty decent number of changes, but all were within what I knew I could do and would be "livable".

Either way, do what works for you.

Consciously make the decisions you make in regards to food/exercise each day and own successes and failures
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310?/310?/175

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for your welcome words, ladies

I am gaining a lot of knowledge from these forums !

Where would the best place to ask which exercise DVD is the best ? Is there any certain forum ?
emilymegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #5  
vegan chick

S/C/G: 240/226/130

Height: 5'5

Try getting in more water. It makes you feel fuller and it works wonders.
phojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250.6/see ticker/185/?

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!
What keeps me going on my food/activity plan is that I do not allow myself to "go off" of it. When I make choices that are not the best, I count them and learn from them.
I wish there were an easier way-
But it's all worth it.
Congratulations on taking this big step in committing to losing weight.
Judy
Lil Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

Welcome Emilymegan There's a fitness forum where you can read about different exercise videos and ask questions, and also you might be interested in the Depression and weight issues forum.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi emilymegan and welcome.

I am very interested in your story because I, too, gained a great deal of weight from medication I was put on after my youngest son was killed in an auto accident. I had lost my pregnancy weight (3 children) in the early 90's and kept it off for around 12 years (using Atkins) but then in 2005 was put on medication that made me gain 60 lbs. rather quickly....despite the fact that I was actually eating less than normal (it also decreased my appetite...but I am convinced that it severely decreased/totally stopped my metabolism). And nothing would stop the gain so basically, AMA, I stopped the medication.

So my first question to you would be....are you still on these medications?
For ME...I HAD to get off of it in order to control my weight. In fact, it had so altered my metabolism, that I struggled for almost 4 years trying to figure out why I couldn't get Atkins to work again for me.......finally figured out I had to severely limit the Splenda (to only 3 packs max. daily), probably due to metabolic alterations.......and finally, have lost almost all of the weight I gained (55+ of the 60 total).

Does that mean that one MUST get off the med/meds in order to ever control their weight? Not necessarily. This WAS the case for me but there are people here who have utilized diet and exercise to lose medication-caused weight gain and to maintain a normal weight, even while staying on the medication.
And as someone mentioned above....there is an excellent forum here regarding depression issues...with lots of info regarding how specific AD's affect different individuals.

IF.....you find that no matter what you do, you cannot lose or control the weight....THEN, you usually need to make some decisions about whether or not you want to consider getting off or changing the medication.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

Welcome!!! i would do calorie counting too. That's what I do. I started at 310 too and just cut my calories down to 1500 a day. I tried to space it out, like 5 small meals a day. So i'm basically grazing...It keeps you not hungry and in line with your calorie range. I also started trying to exercise about 30 minutes a day several times a week. And then eventually increase it. Make sure you drink enough water too that is really important and stay away from things with a lot of sodium. It makes you retain water. good luck and congrats on making the decision to get healthy!!!
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/245/175

Height: 5'6''

Welcome. I am a new comer as well. I like weight watchers the best. They have the online meeting which is great if you are busy. That is the only way that I have lost weight. I have tried other diets but found weight watchers to be the best for me. If you have any questions let me know.
Robinegg is offline   Reply With Quote