100 lb. Club - I like lentils!

View Full Version : I like lentils!

Eliana
02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
I like lentils! Who knew?! LOL! Would you believe I've NEVER had them before and yet would have said, "Nope, I don't like those." I heard they're one of the super foods for fiber packing in 9 grams in a serving. I've had some minor issues with constipation, so I thought I'd give them a try.

I cooked them in chicken broth and added them to brown rice. I can't believe how much I actually like them!

Are they salty or was that the chicken broth?

What do you think you don't like? Maybe we can help you like them.

CD3
02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Cabbage - well I like coleslaw but not cooked cabbage. Any ideas for cooking cabbage?

thistoo
02-14-2010, 08:50 PM
The salty was the chicken broth. Lentils are pretty mild in flavor on their own. There are different types; my favorite are the tiny, delicate orange variety. I don't really eat them anymore, since they are not low carb, but they are delicious.

ubergirl
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
The salty was the chicken broth. Lentils are pretty mild in flavor on their own. There are different types; my favorite are the tiny, delicate orange variety. I don't really eat them anymore, since they are not low carb, but they are delicious.

I LOVE lentils, and I have some really terrific recipes for them-- but they are high in carbs and EASY for me to eat to much of...

Passionista
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I LOVE all lentils and red are my favorite!

Cabbage - well I like coleslaw but not cooked cabbage. Any ideas for cooking cabbage?
Cooking cabbage and onions together over a low heat s l o w l y caramelizes them, making them sweet and delicious. I like it this way with a bit of coconut oil, salt and pepper. YUM!

Eliana
02-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I fry mine and love it! I think it tastes sweet. Just heat a couple Tbsp of oil, shred the cabbage and stir fry it until you see the first specks of brown. You don't actually want to brown it.

Some people par boil it for two minutes first and Alton Brown adds sugar while boiling it. Then he fries it as suggested above. But I like it just as well without the added step and without the added sugar.

saef
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I sautee cabbage in just a dab of butter, then steam it with chicken broth & a sprinkle of sugar & pepper, & top it with carraway seeds at the end. Carraway seeds & cabbage is an amazing combination.

I love anything cabbage-y, in that vegetable family. I think it's my Slavic heritage.

As for lentils, I just made curried lentils the other day & used them as a bed underneath some baked cod fish. With a side of sauteed spinach.

I was looking at black beluga lentils in the store the other day & contemplating a splurge.

ubergirl
02-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I sautee cabbage in just a dab of butter, then steam it with chicken broth & a sprinkle of sugar & pepper, & top it with carraway seeds at the end. Carraway seeds & cabbage is an amazing combination.

I love anything cabbage-y, in that vegetable family. I think it's my Slavic heritage.

As for lentils, I just made curried lentils the other day & used them as a bed underneath some baked cod fish. With a side of sauteed spinach.

I was looking at black beluga lentils in the store the other day & contemplating a splurge.

I love cabbage, and am looking for a good red cabbage recipe.

I always eat the plain little brown lentils... I swear I'd rather eat lentils than chocolate... :D

traci in training
02-15-2010, 03:36 AM
I love lentils and cabbage. I, too, carmelize the cabbage with onions in about 1 tbsp of margarine for half a head of cabbage + one big onion. I put lentils in my veggie soup. Of course, I put cabbage in my veggie soup, too. And onions. Hmmm. sensing a theme. Guess I eat the same stuff all the time!

So what makes Beluga lentils? Do they have caviar in them? We live in podunk Iowa. One kind of lentil. Light brown. Have to go to the city for colored ones. :-) Pathetic, huh?

Beverlyjoy
02-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Saef - adding caraway seeds is how my dad cooked cabbage when I was a little girl. Thanks for such a good memory. Yes, it's delicious that way.

I like lentils too - I usually make a soup from them.

Eliana
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I always eat the plain little brown lentils... I swear I'd rather eat lentils than chocolate... :D

:rolf: Oh my! Now I don't think I'd ever go THAT far!

TraceyElaine
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I used to think that I didn't like yams. Then last year at Christmas time I tried some. Now I eat them ALL the time. I love them. They are my new fav veggie. At Christmas they were un a dish with marshmallows but now I usualy eat them baked with just a little bit of S&P. Yumo!

ubergirl
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to think that I didn't like yams. Then last year at Christmas time I tried some. Now I eat them ALL the time. I love them. They are my new fav veggie. At Christmas they were un a dish with marshmallows but now I usualy eat them baked with just a little bit of S&P. Yumo!

Oh me too! I'm obsessed with yams! They're so pretty! I bake them, remove the skins, mash with a fork, and spray with butter-flavored spray. HEAVEN.

Thighs Be Gone
02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I had a "sprouted lentil" salad at a friend's house the other day. Adored it!

I like everything I think. I am not particularly fond of dried seaweed or beets however.

saef
02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Traci, beluga lentils are black lentils that look very shiny when cooked & look like caviar. They aren't cheap. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to go to the city for them -- I'd bet you could order them online somewhere. (Impress the UPS guy when he shows up with the delivery & say in a lah-di-dah voice: "Ah, my beluga lentils have arrived!")

Personally, I like the French lentils, but I also make a lentil soup with some OJ in it that absolutely requires the little orange lentils.

Here is a thesaurus that talks about the different kinds & colors of lentils.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html

silverbirch
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Carraway seeds & cabbage is an amazing combination.

Extremely yummy. Some people find that the brassica family (cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc) give them wind (gas?) but caraway seeds help you to digest it easily.

Nice with good, grilled sausages, I think.

Eliana
02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Silverbirch, you just reminded me.

Brussels sprouts! How does one cook these? I've tried roasting them but they never seem to get at all soft and they're always bitter. This is not a vegetable I grew up with, so I don't know what to do with them. My poor mother, she tried. She did not like vegetables herself, but she served them to us anyway, being the good mother she was. But she didn't know what to do with them and all vegetables (all meaning corn, green beans, peas and broccoli) were boiled in a full pot of water for a half hour like pasta. I've had to learn a lot about cooking vegetables! I didn't know until I was married that garlic came in a clove, onion was a round bulb (I thought it was dried flakes) or that asparagus was edible.

nelie
02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think there is a veggie, fruit, legume, etc that I don't like.

Lentils - love lentils, so versatile.

Cabbage - I've found my favorite way to eat cabbage is steamed. It seems to take on a sweet taste when steamed. I also like it raw in salads.

Brussel sprouts - brussel sprouts are probably my favorite vegetable. Cook's illustrated says you should braise brussel sprouts (basically cook in a thin layer of water). I roast them or steam them. With roasting, I'd quarter them, lay them flat on a sheet, spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so? Not exactly sure. If they are bitter it means they aren't cooked.

Eliana
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Brussel sprouts - brussel sprouts are probably my favorite vegetable. Cook's illustrated says you should braise brussel sprouts (basically cook in a thin layer of water). I roast them or steam them. With roasting, I'd quarter them, lay them flat on a sheet, spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so? Not exactly sure. If they are bitter it means they aren't cooked.

You quarter them? That could be my problem. I do them whole. :o Told you I didn't know what to do with them! :o

nelie
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
You quarter them? That could be my problem. I do them whole. :o Told you I didn't know what to do with them! :o

Well you could do them whole as well but I think with quartering, they cook faster and you get more surface area to be roasted which means more yum. You could also halve them.

zinkemomx2
02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I run brussels through my food processors shredder blade or thinly slice them and then saute them with a little bit of oil, S&P, and garlic until they start to brown.

I agree that the best cooked cabbage is sauteed pretty much the same way.

I also absolutely love roasted green beans. I usually use a bag of the frozen, S&P, garlic powder, Mrs Dash and spray with oil. Roast at 425 for anywhere from 20-50 minutes depending on how brown I want them that day.

saef
02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
If you cook the brussels sprouts whole when you braise them, cut an "x" in the base. That will help them cook through, since the base is the thickest part.

I also quarter them & roast them after dipping them in a mixture of olive oil & balsamic vinegar. The latter carmelizes nicely. But when it touches the pan, it blackens, so I'd really advise covering the cookie sheet or pan with tin foil so you can toss it later.

JulieJ08
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I didn't know until I was married that garlic came in a clove, onion was a round bulb (I thought it was dried flakes) or that asparagus was edible.

:D I didn't know that mint was a plant. I thought it was just a candy flavor.

Eliana
02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
:D I didn't know that mint was a plant. I thought it was just a candy flavor.

Oh thank you! I feel better now. ;) LOL!

traci in training
02-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Extremely yummy. Some people find that the brassica family (cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc) give them wind (gas?) but caraway seeds help you to digest it easily.

Nice with good, grilled sausages, I think.

I can actually hear your accent in your writing. How cool is that?

Brussel sprouts are really good thrown in with a pork roast. Something about the combination takes the strong taste away.

marigrace
02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Red cabbage...chopped up with ann onion some apple,and braised with a tiny bit of oil, vinegar and a tsp of sugar....so divine with a baked pork chop.

CD3
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions for cabbage ladies. I'm going to give a couple of them a try. The slowly sauteed with onion sounds good & with apple & onion sounds like it might be good too.

nelie - when you stem cabbage does it smell like when you make corned beef & cabbage for instance?

saef - that bit about the UPS guy was funny, thanks I always appreciate a good laugh :)

CD3
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Passionista - do you saute' the cabbage & onions in cocnut oil or spray it after? Regular or Red cabbage or does it matter?

nelie
02-16-2010, 03:55 PM
CD3 - hmm I don't know how I'd say it smells but I think steaming mellows the cabbage out a bit. Maybe I'll make cabbage tonight and see if I notice a smell.

silverbirch
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I can actually hear your accent in your writing. How cool is that?.

:lol: I'll have to work harder on my disguise ...