Beck Diet Solution - Advantage Response Cards - remembering WHY.
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
It's the basics...the reasons to do this. I am putting my advantages here to remind me to remember what's important.
Perhaps, if you post your advantages too - I/we can find something to add to our own list.
I am going to try and take the time to read these when I come to post each time.
02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Here's what I have:
Advantage Response Card:
- I will feel better physically.
- I'll be able to get up and down off the floor more easily.
- I will be able to wear a smaller size.
- I will be much happier when I look in the mirror.
- I will be in better health.
- My pieces & parts (back, knee, foot, shoulder, etc) & those pains will improve.
- I won't be embarrassed to eat around other people.
- I will feel that I have really accomplished something important.
- My family will be proud of me.
- I will feel less self conscious when I perform.
- I will do more things.
- I will feel more in control of this aspect of my life.
- My lab numbers will be in a normal range.
- I can avoid becoming a diabetic.
- I will have food sanity - which I have wanted for a long time.
- I will be able to look at myself in a photograph and smile.
- I will be more active with my grandson.
Every time I post here....I am going to try and take the time to at look them
02-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Hmmm - seems like I am the only one who wants to post their advantages.
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Living an extraordinary life is a subversive act.
I want to get off my blood pressure medication.
I want to live longer than my parents did.
I want to make my health span match my life span.
I want to have more energy.
I want to accomplish an important and difficult feat.
I want to keep my knees, hips, and back free of pain.
I want to look better.
I want to be able to get on the ground while doing photography--and get back up!
I want to be able to work in my garden more often and longer.
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Food sanity - I love it!
Here are mine...
1. So much negative energy, many negative feelings, and a lot of negative thinking occur when I feel like I'm failing to keep my weight where I want it.
2. So I won't get diabetes, high blood pressure, or breast cancer
3. So I can wear clothes I love
4. Because it's easier on my arthritic bones
5. So I don't feel self-conscience if and when I struggle to do something physical that people will think it's because I'm fat
6. So I can look forward to seeing the photos from my vacations.
7. So I will be able to have fun in a bathing suit instead of worrying if my fat is hanging out
8. Better sex
9. I can be more assertive.
10. My GI system feels better when I don't overeat.
02-17-2010, 04:53 AM
I didn't realize how inspiring it would be to read all these advantages.
02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
People keep asking me what keeps me motivated -- so here is my list of advantages ... is 2 dozen enuff? ;)
MY LIST OF MOTIVATORS or Advantages ...
1 -- to be healthier
2 -- so my body won't hurt so much
3 -- to take the stress off my joints, knees, etc
4 -- to feel good in my own skin
5 -- to feel more confident
5 -- to be able to do more things I want to do
6 -- to have nice pictures of myself
7 -- to go travelling
8 -- to be able to sit in grass and get up again
9 -- to feel lighter again
10 -- to buy nicer clothes in any size
11 -- to walk better/farther
12 -- to participate more; be more active
13 -- to not be ashamed or self-conscious anymore
14 -- to go swimming around others
15 -- to get off all meds
16 -- not to get diabetes (runs in family)
17 -- so skin will be healed on my calves
18 -- maybe my joints will heal
19 -- lower blood pressure and cholesterol
20 -- I will see my reflection and not cringe
21 -- I will recognize myself again
22 -- so my clothes will be baggy; love that!
23 -- so the nasty comments will stop
24 -- so others stop staring or glaring at me
PS ~ I actually had some more personal ones; but thought this list would be enuff. :lol: Rosebud :hug:
02-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Beverlyjoy---thank you for this thread.
- I will have a sparkele and I am powerful when I sparkle.
- I will stop the "good girl- bad girl" swings
- I will be more balanced
- I will not have a food hangover
- I will be more attractive to myself
- I will feel proud of myself
- I will feel more sexy and feminine
03-18-2010, 06:15 AM
This is great, I'm reading the Beck Diet Solution for the second time and just wrote my advantage cards out last night!
1. I'll value myself and have respect for myself.
2. I'll be free from the constant battle of wanting to eat more but wanting to be thin.
3. I'll look better and enjoy going out more.
4. I'll feel pretty, sexy and "normal".
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I haven't read the book yet, but I am thinking I'll hang out with you all and emulate !
* I will learn to acknowledge my demanding & rebellious teen/child in ways other than feeding her food ~ teach her responsibility & discipline her gently ~ and allow my higher adult self take charge from here on out.
* I will learn to feed myself anew, with fruits, vegetables, and protein, and stop procrastinating good nutrition for the sake of pleasure of the sedation from starches & sugar. (Cheese and crackers are endlessly better than cookies, and once I allow it, taste better too !)
* I will be able to move freely , without feeling constricted, suffocating, as if in a straight jacket , everytime I bend over to tie my shoes or pick something up.
* I will be able to work twice as hard in the garden, and be only half as tired.
* I will be able to backpack again, in the High Sierra Wilderness, and ENJOY it, instead of feeling totally beat to a pulp.
* I will be able to do my beloved cycling again, slip on some lycra without feeling obscene , and confidently ride my country loop.
* I will not wake in the night with dread and self-admonishment and painfully waddle on hurting feet to the toilet to pee, holding my stomache as if I was yoked with some great burden.
* I will not be embarrassed to be seen in town.
* I will enjoy the sensual feeling of clothes again, yummy corduroy pants and sweaters which drape instead of stretch and bind.
* I will have a swing in my gait, instead of trudging.
* I will feel like having sex again, and not be ashamed, and enjoy it !
* I will feel comfortable crossing my legs, something I've totally forgotten the feel of, or even sitting cross-legged on the floor.
* I will feel comfortable in almost any position, and thus more relaxed !
* I won't be such a grump and so miserable, intollerable, and intollerant.
* I will be nicer to my husband.
* I will enjoy life & relationships much, much more, because I will not be living with so much burden.
* I will have so much more energy for life, and live more fulfilled each day.
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
I have a busy, active life but here are a few things I am going to do when I am not so overweight:
*** travel more
*** take a winter vacation some place sunny and warm
*** kayak and canoe
*** snowmobile with DH
*** get a massage
*** white water raft
*** fly in a bush plane
Looking forward to each and every one of these and believing it is all possible.
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I guess this is a great way to reintroduce myself. I just re-started Beck, and right now I'm on Day 8, but I think sharing my Advantage Responses is a good way to remain accountable! (Also gives me a chance to read them this morning!)
1. I won't be embarrassed when I run into my childhood high school friends (the looks on their faces when they see me 20-30 years and 130 pounds later is like a punch in the gut.)
2. I'll feel better physically
3. I'll have more energy
4. I'll be in better health
5. I'll be able to better progress in my yoga practice
6. A healthy diet is better for the environment
7. I'll look better
8. I'll be able to exercise and do physical things without discomfort
9. I'll feel like I accomplished something important
10. I'll have more confidence and self-esteem in general
11. Maybe I'll meet someone special and have the confidence to be more flirty
12. I'll be more physically fit
12. I'll be able to fit into my old clothes and wear a smaller size (it's cheaper and easier to find clothes!)
1. I won't be embarrassed to run where I know there will be other people
2. I will be able to enjoy shopping for clothes
3. I will have more energy
4. People won't think I'm a "lazy overweight person"
5. I will have a more positive, healthy attitude towards food and general health to hopefully pass on to my children
6. I will be able look forward to holidays instead of dreading the swim-suit/bikini
7. I will have room in my head for other things
8. My boyfriend will be as physically attracted to me as at the beginning of our relationship
9. I will have more confidence in myself
10. I will no longer have to hide under "floaty" tops and dresses
11. I will be less likely to have health problems in the future
12. I will be able to exercise with my brother/friends and not feel embarrassed
13. People will respect the fact that I've made the effort to change
14. I will be able to look at myself in the mirror and not cringe
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
This is a great idea and some of the other replies have given me more card to write. I will need longer in the morning to read them all:):)
1. I will live longer
2. I wont feel sore in my joints so much
3. My blood pressure will go down
4. I will be able to cross my legs
5. My personal stuff will be easier to do
6. I can cut my own toe nails
7. I will stop the GI level turning to diabetes
8. I will sleep better
9. It will be easier to turn over in bed
10. I will be able to bend down easier.
11. My legs won't go to sleep
12. My health will improve
13. I will be able to get up and down the caravan steps easier
14. I can walk down to the tourist sites that have staircases.
15. No more looking at the top of waterfalls I will be able to go down to
16. I will save money
17. I can buy cloths off the racks
18. No more what am I going to wear
19. I will feel fitter
20. My stomach trouble will go away
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Here are mine:
1. I will have an easier time with exercise.
2. I will have more energy.
3. I will be more fit.
4. I will be more social.
5. I will fit in a standard size (I'm between sizes so nothing fits)
6. It will take the burden off my feet and joints.
7. I won't feel so self-conscious.
8. I can wear more stylish clothing.
9. I won't fee like I have to hide my shape.
10. I will be able to wear a smaller size.
11. I will look better.
12. I will feel like I've accomplished something.
13. I will be in better health and my doctor will be pleased.
14. It will improve my gastroparesis symptoms.
05-18-2010, 10:07 PM
You guys have some good response cards... I'm went alil extra and did a visual collage on the blank side of index card. Did anybody do anything extra on theirs?