Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Changing Ring Sizes

I have a question for those of you who have lost 50 pounds or more. How many ring sizes did you drop after you lost the weight? How did you deal with changing ring sizes, did you get it re-sized a couple times, buy a ring bridge or just put it away?

I have noticed my wedding rings are getting really lose and if I shake my hand hard enough they will fall off. I have been a size 9.25 for a long time and I look forward to the day when I can actually order a ring out of the Sears Catalog without having to have it re-sized. All the nice rings only go up to a size 8. I don't want to put my wedding rings away and I don't want to lose them if they fall off. I am just wondering, on average, how many sizes people drop so I can decide at what stage to have it re-sized.

Thanks for the help
Amanda
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/170/145

Height: 5'3

I have lost almost 70 lbs and what started as a size 9.5 engagement ring is actually in the process of becoming a size 7 as we speak )

I had it resized to an 8.5 Thanksgiving of 08 and then to an 8 around this thanksgiving. If they are getting loose I would deffffff go ahead and get them resized. I had to rent a metal detector to find mine in the leaves at a park before I went down to a size 8! This time i am taking no more chances.

It is also an NSV for me. We have been together since I was 14 and the first ring he bought me was a size 7 1/2 for my 15th bday!! Almost 7 years later and my e-ring is the smallest I've had )
chels38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

Good question. I'm wondering the same. I'm sure someone can answer us!
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4  

Consult a jeweler who does his own work in shop. Most good jewelers can attach an inexpensive spacer that will hold your rings on tight until you get to your goal weight. It's about a $10 fix and then you can wait and save the expense of resizing until you are ready.
edesjarlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

I wear a size 9 right now, even at my lowest weight I was still right around an 8. Did you try the bridges at all before getting them resized? I'm thinking having them resized will also be a good reminder to keep from gaining weight again since the ring(s) won't fit... Hm.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

My ring can't be resized (stainless steel) and I will eventually get a bridge, or a new one. For now, I am wearing it on my middle finger (and sometimes my pointer, as that's a little bigger than my middle finger). It actually is my favorite NSV: I pull it on and off my ring finger when I feel down, as it reminds me how far I have come.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #7  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Thanks for the help. I am going to get a bridge for sure and a resize in the future. I also like the idea of a resize because once it's done, I can't gain the weight back I already paid $100 to have one of my rings made larger when I first got it. They had to put in a gold piece because the band was too thin for a simple stretch. Maybe they should give me back some cash since they are taking out that gold piece LOL. I think if I got down to a size seven, that would be just great
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I have lost 172 pounds and have gone from a size 8 ring to a size 4 3/4!!!! Seriously... I can't even buy an adult ring anymore without having to get it sized. AND my fingers are so tiny that most styles look awful on me!

At any rate... I have not sized my wedding rings yet. My hubby keeps buying me cute sterling silver rings every size to fit on my wedding finger
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #9  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I'm not sure how many actual ring sizes I've dropped, but it's got to be many. My wedding and engagement rings fall right off me now, so I haven't worn them in a good long time. Hubby is buying me new rings when I get to goal, so I'll find out the actual number then.

The fact that I couldn't get my rings OFF when I first started was one of the big things that got me started.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #10  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I never thought about this, it could be a problem for me. My ring finger is a size 7 now. I think I'm going to have to talk with him about this because I love my wedding set it was a little loose when we got them. If I have to size down to a five or smaller the set may look crazy and my band has diamonds around it...does that mean I will loose diamonds. I may resort to wearing them around my neck. Not going to stop my weight loss progress but have to think about this ring thing.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #11  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

My wedding ring won't be able to be re-sized. It is a intricately multilayered gold and platinum design with inlay that was handmade by a jeweler. It is very thick and heavy. I had not even thought about it, but it is getting looser, but no where near being to the point of falling off. Still....I wonder what I will do? I plan on losing 114 more pounds! We have matching bands with engraving on the inside, definitely not something that can be replaced. Wow....feeling sad about this!
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

I actually noticed this just the other day. I don't normally wear rings, especially since I "outgrew" most of the ones I own. But just recently I tried one on that had been tight before, and now it's a little too loose. I've lost just over 50 lbs, and I guess I would say I've lost... two ring sizes, maybe.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

omg! I finally was able to slip my size 11(!!!!) ring back on my finger this month.I sure HOPE I lose weight in my fingers because they are freakishly fat!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5.5"

You could look into using a ring guard as a temporary solution. It doesn't look great but at least you could wear a wedding ring that has gotten too large. I've lost about 50lb so far and my wedding ring fits comfortably for the first time in years. Hopefully it will still fit when I'm done but if not I'll be able to get it resized because we couldn't afford diamonds at the time.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I lost a ring right before Christmas for this reason. I was enjoying the feeling of how loose my rings were getting and when I needed a pick me up I would spin that ring....well it spun right off at some point and I lost it.

My husband got me a new one for Christmas but I am still hoping to find the old one as they are a bit different from each other.

That finger ( my pinky) went from a size 5.5 -6 down to a 4.5 and my ring fingers have gone from 8.5-9 down to 7-7.5 which is what they were when I was in high school so I don't see them getting much smaller....I have man hands lol
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote