100 lb. Club - Switching Addictions - All In The Name Of Weight Loss?

redreine
02-13-2010, 01:31 PM
This won't be quite what you think. I'm not addicted to crack or anything. ;)

However, I do feel as if I might as well be. :o

I dropped Dr. Pepper. I have had the occasional DP, but not even anywhere close to where I was. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even taste all that good anymore. :carrot:

However, it's merely been replaced with Diet Coke. I know it's still soda so it's still bad, but at least there are no calories in Diet Coke, and it's filling. I can honestly say I am eating much much less due to the fullness from the DC.

Now I just have to wein myself off of DC, and get "addicted" to water! :devil:

Anyone else with an addiction?

LizR
02-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I was addicted to diet dr. pepper. I drank 4-6 a day for the first several months of trying to lose weight. I finally gave it up in favor of iced tea which I made lighter and lighter over time. It may not have been good for me but it got me through the rough beginning.

duckyyellowfeet
02-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I've always drank diet soda. DC is my favorite, although my partner loves Diet Pepsi, so we switch between the two often. I'm in the "i don't think diet soda is THAT bad for you" (in moderation of course!)
Just keep drinking your water too :)

maenad
02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I have been addicted to Diet Coke for years now. I used to drink 8-10 a day. I was also about 110 pounds back then. I slowly wined myself off it over the last 2 years and am down to one or two a week. I know it's not healthy for you, but i can think of a lot of other addictions that are a lot worse.

FitGirlyGirl
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I had a mountain dew addiction. I followed that with a diet mountain dew addiction. I now have a crystal light addiction (a much much better choice). You can do it, trust me, if I can get off the MD, anyone can get rid of anything they want.

On a side note, Redreine - I love your avatar pic

rockinrobin
02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I've become addicted to the wonderful feeling of being thin, trim, active and fit! I never want to be any other way. I've also become addicted to eating well. Who would've thunk it??

I drink diet soda, not every day, but I do use Splenda in other things on a daily basis. I know it's not the healthiest thing in the world, but it doesn't compare to the unhealthy of being super morbidly obese, or morbidly obese or obese or overweight. I firmly believe maintaining a *normal* weight is the single healthiest thing we can do for ourselves.

Though I have cut back on the usage of artificial sweeteners they will remain in my diet - for now.

Mariella
02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I maintained a normal weight for years AND drank diet pepsi every day. In addition to my water. There were days I'd drink a whole two liter by myself.

I don't drink it anymore and not because of any conscious decision I made, but because when I got heavy and broke 200 lbs I started having indigestion, heartburn and acid reflux and the Pepsi was just burning the **** out of my tummy. I had to stop drinking it.

I haven't gone back, except for the occasional glass. At this point, I don't miss it.

I do use artificial sweetener in my coffee and in other things. Everything in moderation.

matt_H
02-13-2010, 04:11 PM
I hear people talk about diet sodas that they are bad for you, but I don't really believe that (at least not for me). I've heard that the theory is that the artificial sweetner creates a craving for sweet things or to eat more. That has not been my experience.

I love coke zero. I drink at least one if not two bottles a day. There is no calories and it is mostly water. The water in a diet soda is just as good as the water in water. :)

traci in training
02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't drink a lot of any kind of pop, but diet coke is my pick. I also love a diet A&W root beer if it's really cold. And I split a diet dr. pepper with DH sometimes. I'm a coffee addict pure and simple! And since I drink it black it has no calories and I don't intend to give it up anytime soon.

I think it's like everything else. MODERATION.

Shmead
02-13-2010, 04:49 PM
For many people, excess weight is firmly associated with two things--guilt and pleasure. There is often this knee-jerk association between things that are pleasurable and guilt, and then a connection to weight. Anything we enjoy eating, we think must be bad for us because we enjoy it, and that the only way to lose weight is by suffering.

Now then, I do think it's important to cut the connection between food and self-soothing, which is why I don't chew sugar-free gum (though its great for people that don't have my problem), but I also think a lot of people make weight loss harder than it needs to be: if they aren't feeling deprived, they feel like they are doing it wrong, so they feel guilty about whatever they aren't depriving themselves of.

Put another way, a lot of people seem to believe, deep down inside, that they are fat because they are bad people, and punishing themselves by getting rid of anything they like is the only way to atone for being bad. I think this is a terrible pattern that leads to yo-yo dieting because it makes binging a forbidden secret thrill.

This is a long way of saying I don't even moderate my diet sodas. crystal light, artificial sweetners, coffee, garlic, black pepper, or hot sauce. For me, at least, they don't lead to binges, and they seem to be the consolation prize in a world where most of the things I like actually have calories.

PeanutsMom704
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I've posted this before, but they will have to pry the Diet Coke out of my cold, dead hands. I don't drink tons of it, usually just one can or small bottle a day. But I love it and it's something I look forward to having and enjoying. Plus I don't drink coffee, so it's how I get my (mild) caffeine fix.

I think if it triggered any sort of craving, I might reconsider, but it doesn't, at least not for me.

traci in training
02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
This is a long way of saying I don't even moderate my diet sodas. crystal light, artificial sweetners, coffee, garlic, black pepper, or hot sauce. For me, at least, they don't lead to binges, and they seem to be the consolation prize in a world where most of the things I like actually have calories.

Well said! I feel exactly the same - only add in cabbage, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. The sky is the limit!

Crushed
02-14-2010, 12:27 AM
I was totally addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. I went through 8-10 a day. I started getting the shakes so I had to start drinking caffeine free. A few months ago, I gave up bringing it home all together. I still have some Diet Coke occasionally if I'm out to dinner, but I don't get it from the grocery store anymore. I just don't need another addiction in my life.

TempleBody
02-14-2010, 02:15 AM
well my food binges sometimes turn into ... "since-i-cant-eat-im-going-to-shop binges" wherein i end up charging something (gym clothes or accessories or smaller sized clothing ) to my card. it has happend about 4-5x and its nto like i'm charging 100s of dollars at a time but still its not very wise. especially if it ever got worse!

saef
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I may be addicted to exercise now, rather than eating.

I am not an exercise bulimic -- I don't need to spend hours & hours at it. But if I don't get my prescribed time in at the gym each day, I feel vaguely uneasy & restless & yes, guilty.

When people talk here about needing motivation to go the gym, that's about the opposite of my problem.

I've got an old friend coming to stay with me next weekend, and she will want to spend the whole day in Manhattan, which means taking a relatively early train. I probably can't leave my guest alone for the morning while I clock early hours at the gym. Or can I? Anyway, the idea I'll be missing a day makes me irrationally uneasy. Which I think is very close to addiction.

lovemyboy
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Well that is certainly much healthier than a crack addiction. ;). I used to drink loads of diet drinks. Over the past year I've weaned myself over to green tea in the afternoons and coffee in the mornings. My goal is to add in more decaf. I try to add an extra glass of water for each glass of caffeinated beverage (there is also a lot of sodium in some of them) and caffeine is dehydrating. You've already mad a HUGE step by giving up the sugared version.

giselley
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Okay, I'm going to say it. The sugar substitutes they put in diet drinks has been alleged to cause some kind of reaction that is almost as bad as drinking sugar itself. I have it very rarely, so rarely that when I do, I splurge on a drink from a health food store containing stevia, like Zevia soda. I mainly drink coffee, tea, water and very infrequently a smoothie and that's all.

TJFitnessDiva
02-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I drink coke zero & diet rootbeer (one or two a day at the most). I also mainly get my water in via crystal light (watered down in 24oz of water per little packet) ;)

I was the person that hid little debbies all over the house so swithing from that to drinking the diet sweet stuff helped! So yeah I switched from one addiction
to another lol

JustBeckyV
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Diet Dew and no plans to give it up lol

Val424
02-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I used to drink about a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi a day. It took 2 days of excrusiating headaches to quit cold turkey but I had been trying to find out what was causing my cravings all the time I had already removed all sugar but it hadn't helped.

It ended up being salt and artificial sweeteners. Once I eliminated them it has trully been the easiest 2 months of dieting I have ever had and the weight just kind of melts off and I don't get the cravings that would cause me to binge any more.

oodlesofnoodles
02-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree, very well said!

I do drink a lot of diet soda, but I try not to drink it daily. When I do buy it, I kill a 2 liter in a day easily. But it's not a daily thing. I love me some diet pepsi/diet dr. pepper! I don't feel like it's a bad thing, because it keeps me from overeating. It really does. It's a tool I use to keep me on plan.

Can I stay on plan without the soda? Yes. But the soda makes it easier, for me. So I keep drinking it. =P

Good luck with your weightloss journey OP!!

Michelle98272
02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I dropped Dr. Pepper. I have had the occasional DP, but not even anywhere close to where I was. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even taste all that good anymore. :carrot:

Congrats on dropping the Dr. Pepper!! I'd just go with the Diet Coke for a while and let that change settle in before you go to change that one!! Now that you know you can do it, get rid of the Diet Coke when you are ready. Great job!!:hug:

Michelle98272
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
I love coke zero. I drink at least one if not two bottles a day. There is no calories and it is mostly water. The water in a diet soda is just as good as the water in water. :)

Matt, I love that thought process of yours! Seriously! I drink 2 Diet Shasta Grapefruit (like diet Squirt or Fresca) to increase my H20 for the day. I won't drink water very often but can and will drink those. Whatever works.

jigglefree
02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Well me being the kind of all or nothing person I was addicted to mt dew. Now I was one of those get the shakes if I don't have my mt dew. I can't stand the taste of diet sodas so I quit cold turkey. I can't do substitutes. I either have to have the full sugar/full fat or nothing at all.

I been drinking water only for the last month and a half that everything else tastes too sweet. If I get bored with water I add lemon juice to it and there's my flavor for about a week and back to the water I go.

GiddyupKaos
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm a "WATER" girl ;) .... I use to drink a 6-pack of Diet Coke every day... and I would get bad headaches...My doctor suggested I give up CAFFEINE and sodas all together... So I did!!
I just don't miss it at all.....It's been almost 2 months now....

redreine
02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I weighed myself today just because I was bored and I was somewhere with a scale...(and this is the scale I always weigh myself on, btw)

...AND I HAVE LOST 12 POUNDS! :D

oodlesofnoodles
02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
OH MY GOOOODNESS! That's amazing! Great job =]

LabMonkeyGirl
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Okay, I'm going to say it. The sugar substitutes they put in diet drinks has been alleged to cause some kind of reaction that is almost as bad as drinking sugar itself. I have it very rarely, so rarely that when I do, I splurge on a drink from a health food store containing stevia, like Zevia soda. I mainly drink coffee, tea, water and very infrequently a smoothie and that's all.

I agree. I like a good Diet Pepsi now and then. It's a way to get a nice awesome "burn" and some caffeine, too. (Coffee makes me jittery, and tea doesn't have quite the nice bone-dissolving burn).

However, if you read some articles on aspartame, it may make you reconsider drinking so much of it. Everything in moderation is such good advice. Yes, yes, everything can kill you, but it still pays to be cautious about certain things since we don't have 50 years of studies to find out the long-term health effects.

I used to get really bad migraines. I was drinking a several 20 oz. Cokes per day, then slowly cut down to 1 can per day, and now I definitely don't get them as often. My migraines are definitely hormone related, but the caffeine doesn't help. It's so funny. I go to the doctor for my physical and mention my migraines. Right away, the prescription pad comes out for some strong migraine meds. Never asks me about my caffeine consumption, lifestyle, create a headache diary, nothing. It's frightening how quick doctors and quick to just give you a pill to "fix" everything.

eratosthanes
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I drink tea with only 1/2 cup of sugar in the whole gallon, and a cup of coffee or so with a Tb or 2 of creamer. I HAVE to have my caffeine, but at least I have gotten rid of most of the sugar.

calluna
02-15-2010, 11:46 PM
It has been interesting reading all these perspectives! I know the topic tends to be hotly contested.

I cut back my coffee consumption considerably and now limit myself to 1-2 cups in the morning. Never been a regular soda drinker, Diet Coke being the drink of choice when I had it. I haven't killed it completely, but have it no more than once or twice a week. It doesn't taste all that great right now, for some reason, so I'm drinking even less.

Lots of regular, plain water; occasional crystal light; occasional tea; occasional diet soda. I'm comfortable and don't intend to eliminate any of them completely.

Nada
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Sometimes restricting one thing makes you go overboard on something else. Reading this I thought about my (black) coffee consumption--it's gone through the roof lately--wonder why? Sigh--one more thing to work on..........some day.

redreine
02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
I've been trying this hypnosis thing. (started last night, actually)

I've been awake for 3 hours, and I'm still not hungry. I even made a cake last night, and it's still sitting there. Hasn't been cut into yet.

I *think* this may work for me.

wendyland
02-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I drink tea with only 1/2 cup of sugar in the whole gallon, and a cup of coffee or so with a Tb or 2 of creamer. I HAVE to have my caffeine, but at least I have gotten rid of most of the sugar.

Sweetened tea is my weakness. I drink at least one big glass a day. Or 1 cup of hot tea. I drink soda only occasionally. 1/2 cup sugar for a gallon isn't too bad if you don't drink too much in a day. I think that's about 1.5 teaspons in every 8 oz. serving. Although, my math might be wrong. My 2 1/2 year old kept me up from 1 - 5 last night.

eratosthanes
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I admit I will drink the gallon (with a little help) in about three days, but I also restrict myself to making it once a week, so that helps as well.