Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Lowering fat percentage...how?

This may seem like an insanely silly question. I'm about 10lbs away from goal, but I've lost most of my weight through diet rather than exercise. I'm a classic example of "skinny fat." I'm not too worried about exercising to lose weight at this point, in fact, I'm purposely slowing my weight loss a bit to start getting in maintaining mode. So I'm now shifting my goal horizons to lowering my body's fat percentage.

I estimate my fat % to be 30-32%. I have a lot of jiggle, lol. I have no need to be in competitive athlete shape, but I'd like to be healthy and toned and strong. I goess I'd like to get my fat % number to around 25%.

My question is, what is the best type of exercise to lower fat %. I know that cardio will burn calories faster and strength training obviously tones and strengthens. I plan on doing a combination of both, but I would like to know which is more effective at lowering body fat. I'm assuming strength training to build muscle? But does that burn the fat or just build muscle?

In short. If somebody is focusing on lowering body fat percentage and not so much losing weight, how do they go about it?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 117/115/107

Height: 5'2''

It's not a silly question at all!! This is actually what I've been trying to do, so I've been scouring the internet for articles, and this is a quick summary of all that I've learned. Well, the best thing to do is to do both cardio and strength training. Cardio burns calories, but strength training can help prevent you from losing muscle while you lose fat. However, you will still need a calorie deficit, and you would probably still lose a little muscle. It's really difficult to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time, unless you experience those 'beginner's gains,' or are very overweight. They are antagonistic processes; muscle building requires calorie surplus, fat burning needs calorie deficit. Remember to eat protein for your muscles, and to drink a lot of water. Also remember, muscle is active, fat is not. That means the more muscle you've got, the more calories you burn just sitting down. I read in Prevention that if you gain 3 pounds of muscle (which can take anywhere from 3 weeks to six months)you burn an extra 100 calories a day! There are some really great articles out there that can explain this dilemma better than I ever could, so:

There were some good articles on factsaboutfitness and mens-total-fitness. Sorry I couldn't make it a link; my post count isn't high enough, haha. But Good luck!!!
Lunalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Okay, I just did a home body fat percentage test. I measured several times at the widest parts and didn't pull the tape measurer tight. I measured:
- waist: 29in
- hips: 38in
- thigh: 23in
- calf: 14in
- wrist: 6.5in
- forearm: 10in

And got 31.6% Right about where I guessed, lol.

Last edited by mkendrick; 02-13-2010 at 03:31 PM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to send you to read one of my favourite sites.
http://www.stumptuous.com/
Read, read and read some more.

I don't have time right now to find a couple of pages that might have the specific information you are looking for but it'll be in there.

I also recommend the 'stickies' in the resistance exercise forums here at 3fc. Lots of good advice there too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Here it is ... in four pages
http://www.stumptuous.com/category/eating
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote