South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default Confessions, I need to be choosier about my good carbs

Well, the past 2 weeks have been not good. I had a planned "treat" meal, and I allowed it to snowball into 2 week of on plan-off plan-back on plan-way off plan cycles. This culminated yesterday when I was given a chocolate cupcake from a co-worker. I ate it. Then I ate a cookie. Then I ate a bar of chocolate. I had an extra sandwich. I had some chocolate muffin capuchino (not sugar free or low fat).

So, with all damage done, I think I am somewhere around 258-259, which is where my ticker showed me 2 weeks ago (I have not moved it since then, but I had gotten down to 256 before the backslide).

I feel like it all started to unravel when I added back the healthy whole grain carbs. That was the beginning of the end to me. I did ok with fruits, but once I started on the bread (I am not big on pasta/rice), it was all over!

I am going back to p1 and will do that for a week or 2, then my p1.5 where I only add back fruit. I am going to have to be very choosy about my grains. I know that it is possible to eat healthfully without bread, rice and pasta (whole grain or not), so I will add sweet potatoes and maybe some corn and see if I have better luck with those.

Glad to be back, I had been avoiding 3FC during my "vacation" from the plan, but I missed it!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Welcome back! Sorry you fell off, but glad you're ready to get back on and try again!
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

So glad I'm not the only one Nurse! I was up a pound this week, which wasn't as bad as it was earlier in the week. I've been letting myself go on the cheese and nuts! While they were still on plan choices...I chose them too many times each day...lol

So, luckily I've been keeping a food journal and I can look back and see what I did wrong and fix it

We can do this Nurse...so, let's get back on track and stay there! It's such a nice place to be!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Good job getting back on track. It's happened to all of us. I have issues with breads, etc. too. I don't even eat grains much anymore. I do eat sweet potatoes and more beans instead.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Glad to have you back with us and back on track. I have hardly added any grains for fear of just that happening! In my mind the fact that I want the bread is a sign that I should maybe avoid it for a bit longer. Maybe that is extreme... but I am giving it a try.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

And now you know why that box of WW wheat thins are out of view in the pantry!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #7  
Baby Weighter

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

Way to take back control! Have you tried couscous as an alternative grain? Its kind of in a class all by itself (IMHO).
JATX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone! I am really thinking that my bread days are over. I was reading a series of articles on WebMD...I forget the Dr's name but the series title was something like Reversing Diabetes. My mom is Diabetic type 2 so I thought of her. Turns out his eating plan is very similar to SBD but without the strict p1.

What I found very interesting was that he allows any carb in it's natural form, but nothing processed or removed from it's natural form. So, corn is ok, popcorn is not. All breads and pastas are out. Sweet potatoes are ok (he does not recommend white potatoes), and I think steel cut or slow cook oatmeal is ok, if I am remembering correctly. I might just have to incorporate some of those ideas into my meal planning. I was really excited because he was the first professional I have heard of who does not think whole wheat bread is required in a healthy diet! I can have a healthy diet without breads - WOOHOO!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I have strong issues with wheat. I tend to do better if I incorporate a large portion of protein with a small portion of whole wheat, but I generally just tend to choose something from the oat or rice family instead.

Hope you find your happy balance!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 161.5/148.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Good job hopping back on!

I have not dared to eat any bread/pasta/rice for the same reason. I know I would start craving. So, I eat beans instead of pasta/ bread.

My weight loss has slowed though because I overdo it on cheese..
Even though it is low fat, I know I am eating way more than 2 oz per day. oops.

So, I am making trade-offs. No yummy whole grain pasta or bread, and more cheese.... not a strict plan, but I have to live a little, yes?

Keep shoveling in those veggies and beans and drinking your water, and
you will get there!

All the best,
Deb
dwdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

I haven't actually done it, but there have been a couple of times I've spied an unhealthy carb and thought 'ok, that will be my one carb portion' before I've caught myself. It's sort of like when you open the door to carbs you've got to be very careful about what comes in. In some ways that's why I like to get my carb portion over early in the day so the temptation is just not there going forward.

In terms of carbs that may not make you crave, what about quinoa? It has a lot of protein too and is great in a salad. I'm still on one carb serving and one fruit serving a day. The next thing I add back in is going to be another fruit I think, but not for a while.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

Don't worry about it Hello Nurse,
I feel your pain. I had a bad two days and ate everything in sight, kinda like your cupcake scenario. Today i've decided it's back to phase 1 for a few days and no more slips. I was sooooo good and i planned 1 treat also, which turned into 30. I thought i'd enjoy the treat, but just ended up feeling awful. Let's both get back on the horse. Today's a new day
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #13  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

I made a promise to myself (lexiss/Debbie inspired me) to go 6 months without any planned cheats. I have been on the woe 5 weeks. I usually eat 2 fruit servings a day and 1 carb a day. When I decided to do the 6 months I didn't think I would make it. Now 3 weeks later I know I will make it. Now I have been tempted. One night I was tired and irritable and didn't wanna cook "good" food. Everyone else was having fast food. I thought well I could just have it this once. I stopped litterally and told myself. NO I want to lose this weight and if I cheat once I will cheat twice. So that is my mantra. It helps me. I also think of whatever looks yummy and good and not on plan I think that will go straight to my butt and I will never get into those cute pants in my closet.

You can do this. You can make it through. I didn't think I had a problem with bread because I have never been a bread person. My mom used to order me a hamburger without the bun because I didn't like the bun. For about a week I was having a wholewheat bread with my breakfast. I didn't realize that 1 slice was a serving and for a few days I had two slices until I realized my mistake. THe next day when I went back to one slice I felt deprived. SO I took my one slice and broke it in half and then toasted it. I didn't even miss the second slice because my mind thought I had two slice.

Have a great day.

Tammie
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #14  

Happy to say I was just able to move my ticker, and I am back down to the lowest that I got before my, er, indescretions. I am soooo ready to be back going down, down, down!

Thanks for the support everyone, this forum is the best!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #15  
Be happy.

Sounds like you've got a good plan Hello Nurse.

We all have our struggles and some chicks never get back on plan. Figuring out what's going on and making a plan to keep it from happening again is something to be proud of.

I'm looking forward to reading about your success - and seeing pictures of your baby goat when you hit that milestone weight!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote