100 lb. Club - the "whoosh" and next mini-goal

View Full Version : the "whoosh" and next mini-goal

matt_H
02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
So my weight has been hovering around 236-7 for the last week or so. I got on the scale this morning thinking it would be in that general range. Instead, the number 233.8 was flashing. How can that be?! I never even seen a weight in the 234s or the 235s before this morning. Anyway, I know it will go back up for a while as it always does after hitting new territory, but it was a big shock. For the daily weighers, do you sometimes get overnight drops like that?

Even though I don't consider the weight real just yet, I'm now getting really close to my final mini-goal. In 10.4 pounds, I will literally be half the man I used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg

traci in training
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh, Matt, that's awesome! Half a person is a pretty amazing accomplishment!

Kae
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
SUPER! AWESOME! FANTASTIC!

You are an inspiration... and yes, to answer your question... I am a daily weigher and I have seen a drop of like 2-3 pounds over night before. Though, it doesn't happen often enough for my liking. LOL.

Congrats! Keep up the awesome worrk...

emilydreaming
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Congrats! Your accomplishments are nothing short of amazing, seriously.

I weigh daily and I have seen drops of 2 to 3 pounds in a day before. Sometimes they'll stick and sometimes they creep back up by a pound the next day.

TJFitnessDiva
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
That is completely awesome Matt :)

I did see numbers like that happen over night & there is just no explaining it lol

BeachBreeze2010
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I have seen that. If it comes after a plateau when I KNOW I am doing everything right, it's generally here to stay. If it comes after a day or two where I haven't eaten as much as I should, then it generally goes away pretty quickly. Your body is much larger than mine (literally lean body mass is larger) and would probably have more dramatic fluctuations. Are you normally a daily weigher? I don't "take" the loss until I see the fraction at least .6 or less. The .8's have a way of torturing me!

Even if you see a new number and it "goes away" quickly, I see that as a loss! Your body has a new "empty" weight so to speak. It won't be long before it's normal and even high! YAY!

You may be approaching half the size you were, but I highly doubt you are half the man! ;)

rockinrobin
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh Matt, that is SO wonderful!!! I am ecstatic for you.

Yes. I too have seen 2 - 3 lbs lost overnight. No rhyme. No reason. Feels kinda nice! And once I had hit a new low, even if it should bounce back up slightly, if I stayed on plan it would quickly go back down and it really IS a new low.

PeanutsMom704
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
You may be approaching half the size you were, but I highly doubt you are half the man! ;)

So true!! Half the size but twice the man, given the strength it takes to make this journey.

And woot on the new number!! I haven't had the pleasure of an overnight drop like that, but I'm sure it feels great!

CLCSC145
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
That's wonderful! Yup, they are rare but when I've been hovering for a while at one weight, it can drop quite a bit all at once. Can't wait for you to pass your mini-goal! :yay:

(Great song, BTW)

JustBeckyV
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
That is great! Congrats to you!

cathydoe
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Okay...I gotta bring out the dancers for this one!! HOOT!
:carrot: :wave: :angel: :joker: :jig: :bravo: :cp: :cb: :dancer: :flow2: :flow1: :hyper: :twirly: :yes: :encore: :woohoo:
:cheer3: :cheer2: :congrat: :sumo: :sunny: :broc: :crazy: :cheer: :bike: :yay: :belly:

catherinef
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Congratulations! And, yes, as another daily weigher, I've seen big overnight drops like that before. Usually at least some percentage of them sticks immediately, and any bouncebacks generally go away pretty quickly.

Eliana
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm brand new to daily weighing, so no I haven't, but I lost 8 lbs in a week once and it stuck!

Matt, you've done such wonderful things! I'm so happy for you!

cfmama
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh Matt. I am so fleepin excited for you!!!!!

I have often see 2-3 lb drops overnight and they almost always stick after a really small rebound.

I can't wait to see you get to goal!

jewelrymaker81
02-11-2010, 02:27 PM
That's awesome, Matt!! Way to go, you'll be to your next goal in no time! I can't stand those fluxuations, that's why I don't weigh daily! But, whatever works for you!! Congratulations!!

ubergirl
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Half the man!!!! I'm just so elated for you, and impressed!!!!!!

SnowboundChick
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Woohooo!!!! Congrats! Amazing work!

gumboot
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Congratulations! What a fantastic accomplishment! :hug:

carter
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
That's pretty much the only kind of loss I ever see. I weigh every day and I know my pattern well - bounce around by a pound or two for a week or 10 days; then drop 3 all of a sudden; then rebound back up by 1 or 2; lather, rinse, repeat.

lovemyboy
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Congrats on the woosh!

I loose only in whooshes. I maintain within 1 pound of a given weight and then drop like 4 pounds in 3 days. My total monthly weight loss usually happens in those 3-4 days. Weird. It does help me be patient during the maintain portion though because I know a whoosh is coming.

Judy Lynn
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Way to go Matt!

Gracie789
02-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Congrats on your visit from the woosh fairy! My happy place is getting those surprise wooshes, it definitely helps the motivation. 10 lbs to 1/2 your size is freakin' amazing...keep up the great work!!!! :cheer2: