Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 10:58 AM   #1  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

Default What would YOU do for...

a celeb body? Would you be willing to WORK, and I mean WORK for it? According to fitness magazine, The Scorpion King's Kelly Hu does this brutal 2 hour long workout 5 times a day...

Warm up: 10 to 15 minutes Running drills, inluding side skips, lateral agility moves and high knee ups around the gym. (whew, I'm already getting a bit tired...)

Stretching: 10 minutes Splits, backbends, deep spinal twists, and yoga postures. (I don't suppose they'd count me reaching to tie my shoes, and call it even?)

Cardio and Strength: 30 to 40 minutes. Kicking and tumbling drills, lunges, squats, aerial jumps, handstands, chin ups, crunches, sit up combos, hanging knee raises, and plyometric jumps off of a bench. (I'll sit this one out for now thanks... kicks, lunges suats and crunches I can take... but NO part of me goes aerial...)

Martial Arts: 60 minutes. Trains with choreographers doing various kicking and fighting skills... (now, just because it's with a choreopgrapher, doesn't mean you ain't getting your kicked...lol)

And, to top it all off, she eats incredibly sensibly...(ihateherhateherhateherhateher!!)

A typical day's meals are a ahrd boiled egg sandwich with tomatoes and sprouts on whole grain bread for breakfast, a salad with roasted beets, broccoli, and grilled chicken for lunch, and steamed fish, brown rice, and lots of veggies for dinner...along with the prerequisite 8 to 10 glasses of water, and snacks of fruit and whole grain muffins...

SO, the next time you're watching a movie, wishing that you could look like, or even near the female lead...remember how much work it takes
Old 08-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #2  

Exclamation It's for the $$$

Her workout sounds grueling but I think most actresses have the time. Some of them do a movie, make millions of dollars, and then have a break of several months.

Many of them don't have families to care for or they've got nannies to watch the kids. If I had someone to watch my children while I exercised with a personal trainer and had a personal assistant to buy my food and a chef to prepare it, I think I'd be in much better shape.

OTOH, Oprah has oodles of money and she still struggles with her weight, so maybe there's more to it than just having tons of money.

I also think a lot of actresses look way too skinny and unhealthy. Of course Callista Flockhart & Laura Flynn Boyle come to mind but I don't think Julia Roberts has looked good for a few years.

So, to answer your question, I don't think I would spend that kind of time working out every day. I think it would take too much away from my family. An hour a day walking and lifting weights or something is doable but I don't think it takes that demanding of a workout to look and feel better. But then again, my fame and fortune aren't riding on my appearance either.

Maybe Hollywood needs to come up with a reality show where the person who loses the weight and gets healthy wins a million dollars. Put 12 obese women on an island--they try to help (or sabotage) each other. Cheaters or people who are doing too well get voted off the island. Oooooo! This could be a fun show!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:49 AM   #3  
It's been so long...

There is a show like that, overweight men and women, and there's a prize package for the one who does the best out of them, it's on Discovery Health, and it's called the fitness challenge or something... we just dropped the channel, so I can't be sure if that's it...lol
And my point wasn't so much about the money, or someone to care for their kids, or even how much work they do for their profession, but the fact that a lot of us seem to think it's effortless for them that they've got it easy... and boy, that workout sounds anything but easy...

and while we're on the subject of too skinny... Jennifer Connelly... she used to be so cute, now she's a skeleton...blah!

Ok, off on the job hunt...catch y'all later
Old 08-23-2002, 03:10 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Like Jinkies said a lot of these actresses who have the $$ have assistants, personal trainers, chefs, nannies etc. If I had that I would have a celeb body too because I do like working out, I just don't seem to have the time to devote to it. Actually I would love to spend 2 hours a day doing all that stuff. To me that would be a lot of fun. Just imagine how you would feel at the end of that kind of work out. You would feel like taking on the world!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:43 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'd do it. 2 hours a day, five times a week? That's not impossible... for someone who has the time or money.

If I had the time and money, I would :
1) workout like crazy. I love to workout. Take classes. Sweat. If I could afford it and have the time, I'd do it.
2) Become a gourmet cook. I'd take as many classes to learn how to cook wonderful meals (but LIGHT meals). It seems whenever I actually cook (c'mon, I'm 26, I don't cook very often), I don't eat as much and I enjoy it SO much more.

Of course, I'd also have affairs with all the pool boys and producers that I could get my hands on. What a nice fantasy!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 PM   #6  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

PNG - I agree with you - it's really hard work for some of them! One of the reasons Courtney Thorne-Smith left Ally McBeal was the constant pressure on the set to be thin - and what is she, a size two - maybe?

At one time in my life, I worked out religiously an hour a day, every day. That's enough for me.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #7  
hot mom wanna be!

I totally agree with you PNG, it's not just having the money etc.. these women usually have to work out all the time and really deny themselves the junk food to keep themselves at a size 0 or 2 which is pretty standard in Hollywood. I read that in magazines like Vogue, most of the models are a size 0 or a 2. High fashion thinks of a 10 as plus size (an actual medium)... but it's true-if you could pop a pill to get a good body-we'd all be thin!! How hard are we willing to get it--- cause it aint coming to you in a pill no matter how much you wish it will!!
laura
Old 08-24-2002, 01:21 PM   #8  

Yeah...isn't it funny what is considered "plus size" by the fashion magazines? I saw a piece on TV about Carre Otis, who was a huge runway and print model in the early '90s. She finally decided to leave that life because the only way she was staying thin was through starvation, cigarettes, and heroin. Now, she's in high demand as a "plus size" model. She's 5'10" and weighs 157. If that's plus size, I must be super-duper extra-value mega-plus size!
Old 08-25-2002, 10:04 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

super-duper extra-value mega-plus size! - OMG!!! Thanks I needed that.

I've always said "If I didn't work, boy I'd work out every day, plan better meals". Bulls**t!!! Before Jacob I worked full time and got off work at 4:00 every day. 4:15 I was home with no obligations other than hubby who can take care of himself. I was fatter than ever. That when I was at 311. It's not time or money or a chef or a trainer. You have to want it bad enough. I obviously don't want it bad enough.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:02 AM   #10  

Jennelle, That was soooo funny about what you said, a super-duper extra value mega plus size! I wrote that down on my note to myself on the fridge that says not to "Taste while preparing meals" and "Don't finish the kids food!" I once heard a comedian say that women came in 3 sizes: small, medium and "Oh my goodness, she's coming this way!"
Old 08-26-2002, 11:25 AM   #11  
It's been so long...

Thank you Sandi, sad as it is, you hit it on the head for me...I could MAKE time, I could easily think of 2 hours I could block out for working out, even WITH Ravyn at home, and if I was working too... but the sad fact is, I don't even want to give up an hour of my free time, even 30 minutes sometimes... I always have some cruth to fall back on for an excuse...I'm busy...(yeah, doing what? chatting?Complaining about how fat I am?? lol) My back hurts...( well, it would feel a lot better if I worked out....) And I cook plenty healthy, every day... but that doesn't mean I'll throw what I cooked in the fridge at the mention of Pizza Hut...right now, I have an hour long workout waiting for Ravyn's movie to be over...hopefully, the longest I'll wait for it is until she takes her nap...otherwise, I'll keep pushing it back...but, today, I got dressed and ready for action as soon as I got up... so the hard part is over... The hardest exercise to do everyday is to put on your shoes, to get ready to take that walk, once you're there, you pretty much will do anything
Old 08-26-2002, 09:37 PM   #12  

PNG - That reminds me of something I once heard somewhere...If you don't feel like working out, just do it for five minutes. If you still don't feel like working out after five minutes, then quit and do it again tomorrow. Now, if I could just get my lazy arse up for even that five minutes....
Old 08-27-2002, 11:23 PM   #13  

It's true... once you start, you don't want to stop. I only went to the gym once last week and I just went swimming, not to the gym and I can tell you my body is going "Aaaaaah" because it thinks I'm getting fat and lazy again.

It's wrong.

In fact, I'm going to make it a point to get back over there tomorrow. UGH.

I have a birthday goal (my birthday is October 31st) of being able to go for 30 minutes on the eliptical machine and I'm going to make it.
Closed Thread