100 lb. Club - It kind of makes you feel sorry for new people...

traci in training
02-10-2010, 12:32 AM
So I just read in a thread that one of us (not mentioning any names) got weepy in the underwear section today. That made me laugh because I just had a good cry over my cuddle duds not fitting. I'm between freaking sizes again and ill-fitting long underwear when it's four below just doesn't cut it!

Then I got thinking about how just a day or two ago we were all praying for another person (again, no names) to poop. All for one and one for all, weren't we? All aboard the poop train!

Then another member (never mind - you all know what goes here) posts that although she is at goal and has worked her butt off to get there, she isn't comfortable with that fact yet. And the half of us are at goal tell her, "yep, I felt odd then, too".

What are the poor new people going to think of us? These strange women share TMI on a regular basis and then, after losing some weight, they sit around and cry in a group! :rofl:

Hope no is offended... I just think we're all a little crazy. And I'm very glad to be crazy with such a great group of people!:crazy:

rockinrobin
02-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Oh for sure we're all a *little* crazy, me more so than most!

But this IS a place where we all get to share and talk about these issues. We can't do that at home. This is the perfect outlet for all of that - stuff. And I'm grateful to have it.

I would hope that newbies would be warmed by all the closeness and open-ness and honesty. Hopefully we won't scare too many of them off with that open-ness and and they'll want to jump right on in and be a part of it.

Knowledge is power and we DO share a lot of knowledge and experiences and hopefully they can arm themselves with the info.

To all the new guys and the lurkers peeking in - come on in, pull up a chair and get comfy. This is a great place to be. :)

JennLin
02-10-2010, 01:48 AM
you know what.. I think the TMI is what makes it so great! I'm not really new... but I havent been a regular because I joined while I was pregnant... but just knowing others are ok talking about such person things helps others who are new know that its not just them! It is wonderful!

Passionista
02-10-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't believe that what others think is TMI is actually TMI! Poop, pee, periods are a part of life for us all! ;) What's the big deal anyway? It's natural! :lol:

lizziep
02-10-2010, 02:31 AM
besides- who else are we going to talk to about this stuff? our husbands?! those friends who secretly want us to fail? pffft.

:)

Gracie789
02-10-2010, 02:56 AM
So true, so true. I love the TMI stuff, mainly because I can relate to most of it, and it's nice knowing I'm not the only one going with all these wacky issues. :)

catherinef
02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Seeing all the TMI stuff is something I really appreciate. It's such a relief to find out, after years and years of shame and isolation, that so many of the things I experienced are not uncommon. I didn't get here until well into my weight loss journey, and I spent a lot of that time NOT talking about it, beyond vague generalities when people asked about it, because, really, I don't think, unless you've actually been morbidly obese, or are exceptionally empathetic, you can really UNDERSTAND what it's like, and what it takes to change it.

The people here do understand, and I will gladly read their TMI posts, and empathize, and share what I can. I can definitely see your point, though, because we do talk about some weird stuff. :)

thistoo
02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
LOL, I work with mostly women and it's the same way in my office. Yesterday I walked in wearing a new skirt that I wasn't 100% sure about, and I said, "You guys, is this too tight on my butt?" To which I got immediate, serious responses, with no shock at all about my question. I do feel sorry for the one guy in our department, but that's what he gets for being a straight man in a library. :D

What I mean to say is, wherever women gather, the oversharing will commence. It's only a matter of time!

Beverlyjoy
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Yes....we do tend to talk about our issues. It's so wonderful to have a place where it's OK.

I kinda feel sorry for Matt - he has 'listen' to alot of girl stuff. :o

matt_H
02-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes....we do tend to talk about our issues. It's so wonderful to have a place where it's OK.

I kinda feel sorry for Matt - he has 'listen' to alot of girl stuff. :o

Its okay. I'm used to it by now :)

PeanutsMom704
02-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I have definitely shared things here that I haven't been able to tell anyone IRL. I think that is a major, major part of why people here have such a good success rate! We all need at least one place where we have the freedom to be as honest as we need to be.

Eliana
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Too funny when you put it all together ilke that. :rofl: That's great!

I too am grateful for the TIMI posts. Where else would I learn about it? My mother told me about the birds and the bees and then immediately told me to never tell my dad I knew. :?: I spent my entire teenage years hiding any evidence that I'd grown up, burying anything I needed to throw away in the bottom of the trash can...or in my LUGGAGE if we happened to be in a hotel so no one needed to see it in the bathroom trash. :dizzy: For goodness sakes, that's wrong!!

Forums have made me much more comfortable with the fact that I am a woman. :D

Judy Lynn
02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I think it's wonderful that we can share such personal stuff and know that other people will understand.

Lori Bell
02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I live in an all male household, in the middle of the country, in a male dominate community. Most of the woman are on the "Tom-boyish" side and the gay guys are all pretty much in the closet... I would absolutely go insane if I didn't have 3FC to talk about my TMI problems! 3FC is always in my daily devotions!

time2lose
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
:rofl:
I have definitely shared things here that I haven't been able to tell anyone IRL. I think that is a major, major part of why people here have such a good success rate! We all need at least one place where we have the freedom to be as honest as we need to be.

Well said! I agree 100%.

Beverlyjoy
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I am glad you are used to it. But, actually, it gives you good incite into the mind and lives of women. This is a good thing, really - could help you in the real world out there full of women.

evoo
02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Speaking as a new person who just found this site yesterday, I find it refreshing. I've needed a supportive community like this for years and finally here it is.

The only thing that is a little "weird" perhaps is trying to figure out where to sneak into the conversation. Everyone seems to "know" eachother already so it's a little like walking up to a closed circle at a party and laughing at a joke someone made halfway through a story.

traci in training
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
evoo - just jump in! Is your name because you are a Rachel Ray fan?

Matt - you know I was including you in "crazy women", right? We all know you must grit your teeth at these posts sometimes, but you're like our resident male perspective. Wouldn't be the same here without you!

cathydoe
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Ditto to all said...thank you all for your honesty and for allowing me to be honest! Who woulda thought I'd be proud and glad to be a part of a 100 lb club? :D I am and very thankful for all of you!

Lori Bell
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
No worries evoo, just muscle your way in. It takes a few days for everyone to to get to know you, and the only way that we can is for you to blab along with the rest of us.

To be honest, I still feel like I'm standing on the sidelines much of the time, but I think that my mentality has more to do with how I often feel in real life. I've always been a wall flower kind of gal.

evoo
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks. I actually just realized this is in a specific support forum and I'm not even part of that support group so maybe that's why the newbies don't get it -- we just go around responding any old place we feel like. :o :lol:

I do like Rachel, but my screen name is just a carry over from another message board. I joined with a friend/member from there so thought I'd make it easy for her to find me. :) Though, to confuse things more it *does* stand for Extra Virgin Olive Oil, just not because of Rachel. :dizzy:

TJFitnessDiva
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I love the honesty and openness here :) I sure as heck wouldn't voice my insecurities to my family lol since they now are pushing food hard at me, blah.

At least all the newbies will see that we are a real support group and not just a cheerleading board (that has it's place here too :lol:).

BeachBreeze2010
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
:welcome3: :welcome: :wel3fc: So glad to have you here, evoo! Jump right in.

I love talking about the TMI stuff too because there aren't many people in my life that I can talk to about it. In fact, other than DH, I don't think there's anyone. Well, maybe there are people that I could talk to about it, but I am reluctant to. It's awkward! Most of my girlfriends are thin (and always have been) and so would have no idea what I am talking about. 3FC is amazing for that!

Yeah, my poor husband hears a lot of it. I feel sorry for him sometimes. I always say yes when he wants to go out with his male friends. Too much estrogen in our house after a while must wear on him. I try to keep up with the things he talks about - and know WAY more sports stuff than most women - but it's nice sometimes not to have to here. The same way he starts in with the stats and lingo and players that played years ago that I will never keep up with when he's with his male friends. I did get the Bryant Gumbel jokes last night on Leno's 10 @ 10. I was proud of myself for that.

Thighs Be Gone
02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I love the honesty and openness here :) I sure as heck wouldn't voice my insecurities to my family lol since they now are pushing food hard at me, blah.

At least all the newbies will see that we are a real support group and not just a cheerleading board (that has it's place here too :lol:).

I love it here too! This is my safe place. This is where I know other women will not only GET IT but actually admit to experiencing the same things as I am. I have also learned more information (good, reliable, factual) on this site than any single source on the web.

I love my 3FC Sisters. I wish every one of you could come to my kitchen and have coffee with me in the mornings! But, I guess in many ways you already do. :)

aerotigergirl
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
evoo--I'm a newb (sortof), as well, so I'm with you on wondering where to jump in. I find that is the case with another message board that I read regularly, too.

As far as the TMI issues go, I'm really glad for them. I mean, it really just shows that this is an open and welcoming community. And that's exactly what I need at this point in my life. I live far away from any family, and I've really only got one friend who would understand my problems with weight (and I don't want to talk to her about it right now because she really isn't in a place where she wants to do anything about her own weight, so I'm afraid I'd just make her feel bad if I wanted to talk about it all the time). Coming here has always been a huge relief.

saef
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Are you kidding? I love the TMI stuff. That's what I read first, anything with TMI in the title.

Look, one of the reasons I got fat & stayed fat so long was that I was in denial about my body & living my life from the neck up. I was very uncomfortable with any kind of physicality. I was convinced my body was an abject thing, more grotesque than anyone's. I was prone to the particular discomforts that fat women all feel -- sweatiness, chafing, rashes in certain places, badly concealed breathlessness, not moving around well, not fitting into certain chairs, seats & clothes & etc. All those discomforts were my shameful secret that I couldn't share with any normal-sized friends. I wanted to seem just like them. And anything about eating or digestion was also taboo, because I was always vaguely apologetic & embarrassed about eating. So I kept quiet about a lot of bodily things.

Talking with people freely about bodily things & sharing all those old secret discomforts is part of my trying to change the way I am living & dealing with life.

There can never be too much TMI!!!!

jewelrymaker81
02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I love 3fc, TMI posts and all! lol Usually, I'm like, "Oh, that's disgusting. Glad it's not just me!" :o) I think it's great that we can all share so much, and I look forward to the days when I have so many great clothes and can't decide what to wear because it's all so fabulous, not because there's onlyl 3 things that fit!

giselley
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm fairly new-- In my mind, that is what "community" is all about. The experienced "elders" pass along information to the newbees. I am sure ancient women sat around the fire and said "Oh no, not that PMS question again!" None of us have all the answers. There is a fundimental clash between various diets as well, so I can see some confusion.

saef
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Ah, yes, the dangerous shoals of 3FC.

In my mind, the various diets are like religious sects (probably it's the lingo, with the "induction" & going through clearly demarcated phases) & you do not go into any of them as an unbeliever, or you may be stoned. Stay in the church where you were raised. You'll be happier there.

And then there's different degrees of food orthodoxy, which leads to the ongoing Soda Wars. You don't want to be in a thread when someone starts talking about whether it's okay to drink soda or not & how much.

I'd much rather read threads on armpit hollows, constipation, periods behaving weirdly & under-the-breast rashes than get involved in any discussions on low-carbing and Diet Coke.

kuchick
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Where else am I going to go with all my crazy questions? I grew up in the most repressed house ever - heck, my mom has never been comfortable talking about "woman stuff" and my older sister got married when I was 12 and found every excuse not to visit us. DH thinks that women are "engineered" strangely (meanwhile, I'm wondering how they deal with that exterior plumbing - doesn't it get in the way?). He still wonders why we have TOM - can't we just spontaneously absorb that? :dizzy: You ladies are the ones I depend on to not look at me oddly and then subtley edge away from me as though I'm obviously insane.

GiddyupKaos
02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
As a newbie trying to fit in.... I love how close everyone is here... that's what makes it work!!! I feel comfy on this board, because I know others are going thru the same thing I am... and we can talk about it!!!
I am soo thankful for this board... and plan on jumpin in any minute!! hehehe lol ;)
Selena...

Wizzie
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm here for just that reason. To be able to share with people that share my battle. To know that I'm not the only one who faces the same demons. You seem like a really caring group and that's what I need.

WarMaiden
02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Look, one of the reasons I got fat & stayed fat so long was that I was in denial about my body & living my life from the neck up. ...Talking with people freely about bodily things & sharing all those old secret discomforts is part of my trying to change the way I am living & dealing with life.

As the daughter of an alcoholic (my mom, who has 20 years of sobriety and is very active in her AA community), I have to say that I think this is a key point. One of the most important pieces of self-work that is done in AA is to stop hiding and start telling the truth to oneself, and to others. To stop living in denial.

TMI is part of not living in denial. We are all human, many (not all) of us are physically female. There is a lot we share, and being honest about what happens is a way to support ourselves and others.

Not everyone who posts here is food-addicted or sugar-addicted or anything like that, of course, but many of us are. I hid in my sugar and caffeine habit for years, and part of not hiding anymore is to Tell The Truth.

Creeech
02-10-2010, 01:29 PM

:crazy:

...:rofl:

mandalinn82
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
And then there's different degrees of food orthodoxy, which leads to the ongoing Soda Wars. You don't want to be in a thread when someone starts talking about whether it's okay to drink soda or not & how much.

I'd much rather read threads on armpit hollows, constipation, periods behaving weirdly & under-the-breast rashes than get involved in any discussions on low-carbing and Diet Coke.

This made me laugh out loud. For the record, the posts about armpit hollows are also much easier to keep pleasant and on-track!

Fressca
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Are you kidding? I love the TMI stuff. That's what I read first, anything with TMI in the title.

^^ Yep, totally agree!

evoo
02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Ah, yes, the dangerous shoals of 3FC.

In my mind, the various diets are like religious sects (probably it's the lingo, with the "induction" & going through clearly demarcated phases) & you do not go into any of them as an unbeliever, or you may be stoned. Stay in the church where you were raised. You'll be happier there.

I'm so glad I saw this thread before finding any of the Soda/Food wars threads. I'm considering myself warned and will steer clear! :lol:

gumboot
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
It's why I love this group!

CLCSC145
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't want to hang out anywhere else than with my crazy 3FC buddies when it comes to this stuff! :D

rockinrobin
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm so glad I saw this thread before finding any of the Soda/Food wars threads. I'm considering myself warned and will steer clear! :lol:

oh you are SO going to fit right on in here...

moveforward73
02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm new hear as well, and I just jumped in both feet and I'll have to say everyone has been very understanding, helpful, and encouraging. I'm am very guilty of the TMI as I just blurted out my life drama on here yesterday. If feels good to get it off my chest and when I'm here typing I'm not eating. Today has been a bad day and not sure why. I've been super hungry feel like eating all day. I'm up to 20 points already and only have 13 left for remander of the day. Nothing has caused this, no ex call, no baby drama, no horse drama (yet). I'm actually about to post another TMI lol

ubergirl
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Oh me too! Me too!

It was such a profound relief for me to find out I was not the only person who had ever cracked a toilet seat!:o

absster
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I have to say too that the TMI stuff is quite interesting because it's stuff that happens to many of us, but not all of us have found the courage or words to share it yet. I'm slowly working myself out of lurkdom, but have enjoyed reading everyone else's TMI stories, defeats, and victories!

cfmama
02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
You HAVE to be crazy to belong here so it's all good ;)

parkedout
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I do like Rachel, but my screen name is just a carry over from another message board. I joined with a friend/member from there so thought I'd make it easy for her to find me. :) Though, to confuse things more it *does* stand for Extra Virgin Olive Oil, just not because of Rachel. :dizzy:

Consider yourself found! I have been searching all over... I get distracted with all the before/after photos...

And I admit it: I got lost in the mini-goals section.:p

EEP! ;)

duckyyellowfeet
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I *heart* the TMI side of this board. Not only does it remind me that I'm normal and everyone deals with their own set of icky issues, it also sets a bar for what is "ok" to ask. If someone can talk about under-boob sweat or strange rear-end rashes, anything I could say should fit right in!

Onederchic
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I am very glad that to be part of this online community where we can share any and everything. There are people here that have made big impacts on me and my journey and well, I love y'all ♥

AR4life
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
This is such a great place :hug:

rakel
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I love the fact that we can share all of these things... these are issues that I probably wouldn't feel comfortable talking about with people I know, just because, well, they just don't go through the same things like we all do. There's always someone who understands .exactly. what you're going through... and that's what makes 3FC so freakin' priceless!!

TempleBody
02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
It's easier to write to people who are non-judgmental, open-minded or at least have to be nice or say nothing at all. lol

Asking TMI or sharing tmi is a perk of 3fatchicks in my opinion!

lizziep
02-11-2010, 02:13 AM
cracking up at the ladies husband who says "can't you just absorb it" about TOM... this thread is amusing!!

traci in training
02-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Wow. I was amused at our craziness and after 50 posts to this thread I'm amazed at how much we love our craziness! As someone who deals with mental illness every work day it amazes me how much therapy goes on in this little place.

cfmama
02-11-2010, 03:21 AM
That's funny because whenever I tell hubby I'm check 3fc's I ALWAYS say "it's cheaper than therapy!" lol!

JustBeckyV
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
lol It's very good for the soul and great motivation! I am still pretty new here but not new new lol

slimsilhouette2b
02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I haven't read all the replies but I have to say I'd rather read all that you mentioned and have a good support than to have to worry about posting things and getting seriously rude and snarky comments like I've experienced on some other boards. I understand that people can form relationships and have inside jokes and what not but I haven't run into a single person here yet that was flat out rude to anyone for asking anything no matter how "silly" the questions might seem.

So if you want to know what a newby thinks... that's it there. :)

traci in training
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't read all the replies but I have to say I'd rather read all that you mentioned and have a good support than to have to worry about posting things and getting seriously rude and snarky comments like I've experienced on some other boards. I understand that people can form relationships and have inside jokes and what not but I haven't run into a single person here yet that was flat out rude to anyone for asking anything no matter how "silly" the questions might seem.

So if you want to know what a newby thinks... that's it there. :)

Not only do you not get "snarky" here, if you post something and no one responds, feel free to bump it up and say HEY! Sometimes this board is hard to keep up with but everyone wants everyone to feel welcome and valued.

And, of course, if you REALLY want to get a lot of hits, put TMI or POOP in your thread title! ;)

MoveMoveMove
02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Do you have a favorite TMI?

I'll preface mine by saying I'm the only girl and the youngest of 7. My mom died when I was 10 and let's just say female information/advice was non existent in my home. If it hadn't been for 5th grade health class, I would have freaked out the first time Aunt Flo came to visit.

Anyway, my favorite TMI was years ago. A chick brought up the topic of trimming pubic hair. That was a funny but informative thread. It was also where I heard about Brazilian waxes for the first time. OUCH.

TMI gotta love it.