PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

Question PCOS and a Copper T IUD

I think I am loosing my freakin' mind!!! I have been months and months without a period. I would get it every 45 days or so and it was manageable. Then i lost 75lbs (healthily) in 7 months and lost it my period around month 4. It stayed gone for many months. Then one period, then many months. Well I know this is not healthy. I have issues with blood clots so I cannot take any hormonal type drugs to induce (BC pill, proverra, regular IUDs etc) so I had one option - Copper IUD. The idea was that it would irritate the lining and cause more regular periods...

I had it inserted in early Dec and have been spotting every since. PLUS two HUGE periods (10 days each, massive bleeding, wicked pain). I am sooooo very drained! I think my iron (and my energy level) is at an all time low... and to make it worse, I am a binge eater too so... I am struggling something fierce.

I am wondering if anyone else out there has tried a Copper T IUD and if they could share with me how long this bleeding lasted for them!?!? I am giving this thing 6 months, TOPS, before it is coming out!!!

Thanks (my rant is over now!!!)
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm PCOS/IR but no IUD experience.

Just wanted to give you a "hang in there!" hug.

Try over at soulcysters.net too.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #3  

That was very sweet of you!!! Thank you!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4  

I don't have pcos, but I do have symptoms. I don't have the copper T, but I have the mirena. When I don't have an IUD, I have normal periods lasting 5 - 7 days. They now last 1 - 2 weeks. MOst of the days are spotty, but it's still a big pain and is messing up my love life. I've had it for 2 years. Some months, I do have short spotty periods. MOst months they are long. I'm pretty sick of it, but it's my best option right now.

Have you told your doctor about the pain? It may not be in the right place. ????
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #5  

Thanks for being so open Wendy... My doc did an ultrasound and noted to my file that it is in the right place... I think the pain is because (1) copper iuds are known to make periods more painful in general (2) it has been so long since i have had a cycle that it is intense right now...

i really appreciate the feedback!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I have been told I have mild PCOS and I have the copper iud. I have had it 2 years this coming May. I would say it really took a full year before things settled down and became regular. I still have more cramping before my period than I ever did prior to the iud but it is so much better than the first 6-8 months with it. I still get spotting here and there and am a bit worried about it but I am going for my pap this month and I will talk to the dr about it then.

I would say give it a good 6 months before you make any decisions. I know iud divas.com is a great site for info also.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #7  

That is very encouraging! Thank you for sharing... I guess my problem is compounded by the fact that I have a new boyfriend and it makes intimacy 'challenging' to say the least but now I am oversharing!

Thanks ladies!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #8  

I have PCOS and so does my mum. When I was advised by a doctor to go on a combined pill to stop the symptoms, I was a bit reluctant as I think it may have been the pill I was on that caused stronger symptoms of my PCOS in the first place. So I spoke to my mum about it and she had been told that she could not have children. Yet me and my sister are alive and kicking. Her secret was vitamin b6. I hadnt had a period in a year and once I started taking the vitamins they came regular as clockwork. Someone I worked with also suffers from PCOS and was having difficulty having a baby. I told her about b6 and shes now due to have her baby in a couple of months. She fell pregnant about a month after taking the tablets. Im not sure if they will have an effect with regards to the IUD, which I am also getting fitted pretty soon, but I would advise b6 to anyone with with PCOS or any menstral problems. They seem to work like magic in no time at all.
luvlea88 is offline   Reply With Quote