Dieting with Obstacles - Bacteria Vaginosis

View Full Version : Bacteria Vaginosis

mom4life
02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Its been years that I struggled with this problem but just assumed it was normal even though I was ashamed about the smell. I would take long baths thinking it wasn't normal. When I told my mom about it she told me it was normal and that everyone had a natural smell.
well it did become a problem when dh and I were married. He never said a word but I could tell he wasn't enjoying our intimate life together. So much that we started becoming more distant and I went into a depression that I knew dh wasn't attracted to me that I just stopped caring about the way I looked and gained weight. after the damage was done I looked at myself and couldn't believe how I could allow that to make me give up, so this made me feel even worse where I gained more weight.
Finally 6 yrs later dh finally was honest (as much as he didn't like the idea of hurting my feelings) and told me that the smell that was there wasn't normal. I had seen a doctor and was Rx'd meds, after finishing the meds the problem came back days later. It was then that I decided to seek a natural approach. It helped to lessen the problem but its caused dh and I not to feel comfortable about being intimate. we both fear the smell coming back or getting worse.
I feel awful because its one thing to have a bad self image on the outside but now to feel I have an issue that I can't fix with a magic pill. Then reading recently that pregnancy can cause it. (PH imbalance). So I feel so very hopeless because I can't do much about it.
There's a part of me that wishes I could crawl into a hole and never come out. I struggle with giving up on everything I've worked hard for (weight lose) and not care anymore because it all seems in vain. My dh is very committed, he's told me that he's never going to leave me even though this is hurting our marriage to a certain extent. How am I to love my femininity if I feel like its destroyed my life? I feel so ugly.

lizard58
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
you're still a woman.. still feminine and beautiful. do you eat yogurt/ take a probiotic supplement?

Violet73
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
are you pregnant right now? If not...then you might try vinegar douches...but dont use them too often...you can buy them in Massingill. Of course, if you are pregnant then you cant use them. Also...certain foods can cause unpleasant odors...you might do some research and google this. I used to work in a clinic and it seemed as though the treatment prescribed only helped the women short term. Sorry you and your husband are having a hard time. Keep your chin up!

Dingo
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
You finished your entire course of antibiotics (I assume it was flagyl or clindamycin)? If the smell does indeed come from BV and from your description it does (fishy smell) then it sounds like you need to get it treated with another course of antibiotics (stronger, different med or longer course). Go back to the doctor and get help from them :) It does no good to live like this.

Dingo
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
are you pregnant right now? If not...then you might try vinegar douches...but dont use them too often...you can buy them in Massingill. Of course, if you are pregnant then you cant use them. Also...certain foods can cause unpleasant odors...you might do some research and google this. I used to work in a clinic and it seemed as though the treatment prescribed only helped the women short term. Sorry you and your husband are having a hard time. Keep your chin up!

DO NOT DOUCHE!!!!!! It will only upset the natural flora of the vagina and make it even easier for bugs like BV to fester. It might seem to help in the short run but it will make the BV come back with a vengeance. Women should never douche.

Violet73
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
DO NOT DOUCHE!!!!!! It will only upset the natural flora of the vagina and make it even easier for bugs like BV to fester. It might seem to help in the short run but it will make the BV come back with a vengeance. Women should never douche.

That's your opinion. She can decide what to do herself. Some docs even recommend it....some dont. Either way...I was just trying to help....didnt need to get slammed for it.

TheTigz
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
First of all, can I say that having 4 kids and another on the way, you deserve a medal lady!

I Googled your condition and saw there are a couple of treatments for it like Femanax, Vagiclear and Balance Activ - have you tried any of these before? Being pregnant, you will need to clear using anything with your OBGYN and you might need to wait until baby #5 is here safe and well to start trying these things.

I did have a friend years ago with a problem like this and she was told to (please don't read this is you are queasy!) get a tampon and dip it in natural yogurt and well you know, ummm put it where a tampon usually goes, ahem.

It did work for her as it re-established the right kind of bacteria there.

But speak to your doctor before trying anything and good luck.:hug:

mom4life
02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I did try douching but it was a more natural approach....tea tree oil drops in water for 3-6 days. It did seem to help, where it lessened the smell or made it come and go but not as bad as before.
Now that I'm pregnant, I feel I have very little options. I have started taking acidophilus and eating a cup of yogurt everyday. Still not sure if its helping or not. I have heard of inserting a tampon soaked with yogurt but I sort of doubt I can do that while pregnant. Then again I'm not sure if this approach would fix the problem. :(

Dingo
02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
That's your opinion. She can decide what to do herself. Some docs even recommend it....some dont. Either way...I was just trying to help....didnt need to get slammed for it.

Not trying to slam. This is just my experience as a doctor in training. It's also not opinion but general medical consensus (never in my OB GYN training have I heard douching recommended...always cautioned against), but still many women do it.

Dingo
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Also, if you are pregnant then not appropriately treating BV can lead to preterm labor. Just FYI.
Article about douching:
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/pdfs/data/1999/15501/15501-12.pdf

mom4life
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Also, if you are pregnant then not appropriately treating BV can lead to preterm labor. Just FYI.
yup, that's why I haven't done anything like that, I would have to clear it with my midwife first.

mom4life
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
First of all, can I say that having 4 kids and another on the way, you deserve a medal lady!

I Googled your condition and saw there are a couple of treatments for it like Femanax, Vagiclear and Balance Activ - have you tried any of these before? Being pregnant, you will need to clear using anything with your OBGYN and you might need to wait until baby #5 is here safe and well to start trying these things.

I did have a friend years ago with a problem like this and she was told to (please don't read this is you are queasy!) get a tampon and dip it in natural yogurt and well you know, ummm put it where a tampon usually goes, ahem.

It did work for her as it re-established the right kind of bacteria there.

But speak to your doctor before trying anything and good luck.:hug:
thank you, somehow I missed your post. But yes the tampon thing was on my mind but I'm sure I'd have to wait till after the baby comes. I'm hoping eating yogurt will do the trick till I have the baby.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Did your doctor do a pap smear (test) to see what is causing the odor? As there are other things that can cause odor like a lot of sugar in one's urine or a yeast infection (unless that is what you mean by BV).

As a temporary solution, maybe you could continue the lightly scented baths before intimacy; plus, you can buy lightly scented fresheners called "Body Mists" for the outside of the body: roses are my favorite one. Also, many women now use baby wipes to sanitize and "freshen up" throughout the day after using the ladie's facilities. Be sure to OK this with your doctor beforehand though ... :D

Dingo
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Your OB should have done a BV screen during your first trimester screening. Do you have an OB or does your midwife do all your prenatal work?

Violet73
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Mom4life....since you are pregnant I guess you are limited to what you can do....I hope things will work out for you soon and you can find a treatment that helps during pregnancy.

Violet73
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I did try douching but it was a more natural approach....tea tree oil drops in water for 3-6 days. It did seem to help, where it lessened the smell or made it come and go but not as bad as before.
Now that I'm pregnant, I feel I have very little options. I have started taking acidophilus and eating a cup of yogurt everyday. Still not sure if its helping or not. I have heard of inserting a tampon soaked with yogurt but I sort of doubt I can do that while pregnant. Then again I'm not sure if this approach would fix the problem. :(

I have heard that the tree tea oil drops help many things. Tree tea oil even helps dry scalp from what I had read before. I'm sorry you are going through and being pregnant just limits the use of so many things.

mom4life
02-08-2010, 09:36 PM
All paps before and after pregnancy have been normal. When I've had it treated by a OB it was only by the symptoms or me telling them about the smell.
When I did the tea tree oil douch, that was after I had my last child. My midwife suggested it.

Dingo
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
All paps before and after pregnancy have been normal. When I've had it treated by a OB it was only by the symptoms or me telling them about the smell.
When I did the tea tree oil douch, that was after I had my last child. My midwife suggested it.

Paps don't diagnose BV or any other form of vaginitis...they only diagnose cervical abnormalities (pre-cancerous lesions). Usually they do a culture/stains/look under the microscope of a vaginal smear to diagnose infections.

But in any case, no more medical advice from me. Good luck! I get very self conscious when I smell a vaginal odor coming from me. I often wonder if other people can smell it as much as I do. It's definitely a time of the month thing for me.

mom4life
02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I've always been self conscious about it because I could smell it and I would take 2 showers a day. Since doing the tea tree oil douche, its only apparent when we're being intimate but its not as strong as before.
This isn't an infection, its a PH imbalance. I was going through years of treatment for an on going UTI. The reason I decided to seek natural methods is because antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. Around that time (11 yrs ago) I was single and not sexually active at all.
It wasn't till Aug of last year that I changed my diet and was able to naturally (by accident) rid my body of the UTI. It might've been a combination of diet and the tea tree oil that lessened the smell....don't know.
Its a major turn off for dh and (now in the past 2 weeks) its also the case for myself. Since it doesn't start till we're doing stuff, I'm paranoid that he can smell it but I don't feel comfortable asking "Do you smell it?" while we're in the act. Twice this week dh has gotten turned off while in the act.
I feel so depressed, I feel like I should write on my forehead "Unclean, don't come near me."

mom4life
02-09-2010, 09:54 AM
from my research bacteria vaginosis can be caused by many things: antibiotics, pregnancy, birth control, and lubricants. There's probably others. But they can throw off the acidity or flora, in your body.

Violet73
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Rachel...I'm so sorry you are going through. I feel bad for you as you already have enough to deal with being pregnant and raising your other children. My heart goes out to you :hug: Does your midwife have anything to suggest?

BV is very common and even though you feel bad about yourself...please dont. You CANNOT help this! btw...men's stuff doesnt have the greatest odor itself....i'm just sayin...

TheTigz
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
BV is very common and even though you feel bad about yourself...please dont. You CANNOT help this! btw...men's stuff doesnt have the greatest odor itself....i'm just sayin...

OMG! You are sooooo right about that! Men's stuff stinks!

Rachel I feel really sorry for you and your situation. If hubby and you are really wanting to be intimate, how about he puts some vapour rub under his nose?

Please don't feel bad about yourself or unattractive. You are bringing a new baby into this world, which is the most amazing thing women can do and for that, you are beautiful!

I've heard about a few drops of tea tree oil being used with the yogurt and tampon also. Maybe after pregnancy, which lets face it, is screwing all your bodies chemicals up anyway, you can try a few treatments and see if this clears it.

Please try and keep your spirits up! Baby #5 will be here before you know it!:hug:

mom4life
02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you everyone. I feel better today, last night my dh was very affectionate with me. We cuddled a lot. He says he still wants to be intimate with me no matter what.....he just has to get past the smell if it is there. I just don't feel like trying, twice he's gotten turned off mid way. With the changes that pregnancy brings (especially then your darker skinned), I don't want to look at myself much less show it (my body) to him.
I love my growing baby and love to see my belly growing, its just the s*xual parts that I'm now self conscious about. And the fact that I feel helpless when it comes to the BV because of the pregnancy.

anajjana
02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
i had this same problem (w/o da preg). mines switched between BV and yeast infections and i started taking AZO YEAST pills per a pharmicist recmd at walgreen's and it knocked my problem right out! that was about 4mths.

its a daily pill but it worked wonders on me. hope this helps!

mom4life
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Per my midwife's instruction. she gave me the go ahead to try the tampon drenched with yogurt and also try (if this doesn't work) a tampon drenched in Hydrogen Peroxide over night. She also said that I should cut out all simple carbs, which would mean my beloved sweets. :(
She instructed me to also take garlic supplements along with everything else.
she is planning on doing a culture at my next visit, next week to make sure it is BV we're dealing with.
From my research it does look like the culprit is the sweets that's keeping this thing around. Because dh told me that he remembered that back when I cut out all simple carbs and sweets (sugar and fruits) that the smell had disappeared. This will be a hard thing to do while pregnant and with all my cravings. But its either cutting out my sweet tooth or my s*x life. :(

Violet73
02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I follow a low carb diet and have cut out all simple carbs....you can do this! It will also be healthier for you and baby! You don't need those foods anyway! I feel much better not eating sweets. Good luck with everything....hope it all works for you :)

mom4life
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I follow a low carb diet and have cut out all simple carbs....you can do this! It will also be healthier for you and baby! You don't need those foods anyway! I feel much better not eating sweets. Good luck with everything....hope it all works for you :)
Yup, I was on Atkins before getting pregnant. I upped my carbs due to the pregnancy. Now to think back to those days and figure out what I was doing. I would have to switch back from coffee to unsweetened raspberry tea (hate black coffee) and no fruits or sweets at all. I know the first 2 weeks are hard because you go through like a detox period where its all you think about. Not looking forward to it at all.
What other fruity teas are there that taste good besides raspberry hot tea?

JulieJ08
02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I would have to switch back from coffee to unsweetened raspberry tea (hate black coffee) and no fruits or sweets at all. I know the first 2 weeks are hard because you go through like a detox period where its all you think about. Not looking forward to it at all.
What other fruity teas are there that taste good besides raspberry hot tea?

I like a mango black tea that I get from Trader Joe's, but I don't think that I've ever had a fruit flavored (unsweetened) black tea that I didn't like.

rebeccamichelle777
03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Mom4life,
I was wondering if the return of your BV was because your husband is now carrying the virus also and when you have intercourse he re-infects you after you've taken your antibiotics?

Men can carry the bacteria that causes BV without symptoms. Doctors say that men do not, but in the past I got BV from a man!>;(

You might ask your doc if he would put you both on antibiotics at the same time to rid both of you?

I hope this is helpful.

Rebecca

grneyedmustang
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Per my midwife's instruction. she gave me the go ahead to try the tampon drenched with yogurt and also try (if this doesn't work) a tampon drenched in Hydrogen Peroxide over night. She also said that I should cut out all simple carbs, which would mean my beloved sweets. :(
She instructed me to also take garlic supplements along with everything else.
she is planning on doing a culture at my next visit, next week to make sure it is BV we're dealing with.
From my research it does look like the culprit is the sweets that's keeping this thing around. Because dh told me that he remembered that back when I cut out all simple carbs and sweets (sugar and fruits) that the smell had disappeared. This will be a hard thing to do while pregnant and with all my cravings. But its either cutting out my sweet tooth or my s*x life. :(

I've tried the hydrogen peroxide suggestion in the past when I had a really bad BV infection. It worked for me.

witchyonadiet
03-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I have used garlic. I use a clove and nick it then wrap it in cheese cloth and insert it vaginally. I leave it in for 12 hours at a time. It stings but clears it right up. It works for a yeast infection also. Tea tree oil helps also but needs to be diluted as it is VERY strong. Try not to be embarrassed - easier said than done I know. hugggggggggggggggggggggg

giselley
03-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Have you tried to raise the acidity of your body by eating something like cranberry pills? They can end a UTI by basically changing your urine's ph. I'd think about going and seeing a nutritionalist. Perhaps some change in your diet might help you.

weebleswobble
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
have you tried lighting a yankee candle in your bedroom or using a strong essential oil like lavender on your sheets (or your neck) to distract him from the smell in the meantime? (I realize vick's will cut the smell of a rotting corpse but it's not very romantic)

I'm wondering if his hygiene is great--if he's not scrubbing up really well on a regular basis, he could be introducing all kinds of who knows what into there. This may be TMI, but I'm wondering if his "deposit" is throwing off your PH as well...sometimes I find it to be "the gift that keeps on giving" --the PH level of semen is high. But I wonder if it might help if your husband used a condom because 1) his semen may be aggravating the problem and 2) he may be recontaminating you with BV.

there is a product called RepHresh that restores the right PH, I've never used it, and the FAQ says pregnant women should consult their doctor before using it...but it may help you.

I support mothers who choose to use midwives, but are you also seeing a doctor?