Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 05:35 PM   #1  

Default Diabetes and WW?

Does anyone have experience with diabetes while being on WW? My husband was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I'm hoping that he can follow WW with me to lose the 50 lbs. the doctor wants him to drop. Is the old exchange program something that would be healthy for a diabetic? Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:27 AM   #2  

Points have been working well for several in my groups. He just needs to watch his carbs close.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:43 AM   #3  

Being careful of carbs is something his dad mentioned (he was diagnosed with diabetes last year). I remember on the exchange program we could only have 5 - 6 "breads" per day. I am wondering if he can use the same definition of a bread to keep track of his carbs?
Old 08-23-2002, 07:31 AM   #4  

HI! I have a friend that was just diagnosed with Type II. I couldn't believe her doctor didn't give you anything to go by. He told her to stay away from carbs and sugar. I had another friend copy her exhange list for her. The American Diabetes Association website has alot of good information. Basically it's an exchange system. You can work it into the points system but you have to make sure it's a well balance of food groups. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2002, 09:25 PM   #5  

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed that his doctor's nurse is the one who made the phone call and didn't offer to send us any info or anything. She just said he "absolutely can't have any sweets and no bread or pasta". I question the bread/pasta part, because I am pretty sure it can be worked into the diet; at least in moderate amounts.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:24 AM   #6  

Hi, my dad is a type 2 diabetic. He can work in bread or pasta, but it's best if it's the whole grain kind--whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, that sort of thing. Also, never never never eat a carb just by itself! That'll cause a pike and a crash so fast it will make your head spin, and it'll make HIM sick. Have some protein and a bit of fat with each carb. The only exception to the rule is if his blood sugar is dropping rapidly. Then get some juice (which is a fruit, yes, but registers in the blood as sugar, and very quickly too).

I'm very unimpressed that someone would offer up such a life-changing diagnosis but offer no assistance in making the lifestyle change. Possibly it would be worth inquiring if there is a diabetes support group to contact.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #7  

Thanks for your help, mousie! I have been finding some informative websites, including ones with recipes. The thing that bothers me is that I don't know how seriously dh is going to take this and if he's really going to make the necessary changes. I don't want to be a nag, but I do want him to be healthy!
Old 08-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #8  

Tell him what's in store if he does not control his sugars--blindness, amputation, erectile disfunction. One of the best things the hospital did for my dad when he was diagnosed was put him in a room with another man. This man had ignored his diabetes diagnosis and his sugars, and was having both feet amputated. From the very beginning my dad was scared into caring!
Old 08-25-2002, 07:59 PM   #9  

Hi, I have type II and have been on Weight Watchers in the past. It works just fine and as your husband learns how diff foods affect his blood sugars he can adjust his food intake and stay within his points.
As an aside, his doc should be setting him up with a diabetic team of a nurse educator, an endcrolgist, and a nutrionist. If that is not happening he needs to ask about it!
My wonderful doc tells me you can have a sweet treat ONCE in a while so you don't feel deprived and go off the deep end. Words that made me very happy.
Pinky

(Please excuse the spelling)
Old 08-25-2002, 08:40 PM   #10  

I have two family members who are diabetic and we were told that peas and corn were the worst veggies to eat. We eat D'taliano light bread, the nutrionist said it was the best one to eat. And when they eat noddles etc. their blood sugar is high. We also keep a few pieces of hard candy with us for when the sugar gets low.

I do not have diabeties. I have been on Weight Watchers for several months now. Every chance I get I have my blood checked and my numbers have always been below 120 when I have not been fasting (under 140 is good) and under 90 when I have fasted and seem to get better the longer I am on WW. DM
Old 08-25-2002, 09:19 PM   #11  

My husband's blood sugar level was 138 the first time they tested it and 125 the second time. (These were both 12 hour fast tests.) The nurse said 126 is considered diabetic, so he is technically borderline, but I know if he gains any more weight, he'll have a full-blown case. I figured that corn and peas had to be fairly bad, because they are so starchy. Congratulations on joining WW and taking control of your "medical destiny"!
Closed Thread