Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Baconnaise

View Full Version : Baconnaise

AnnieDrews
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Okay, this probably isn't for everyone, but it sure is worth a visit to their website! :D

Baconnaise Lite 1 Tbsp=
30 calories
3 grams fat (poly and mono, no saturated, no trans)
5 mg cholesterol
105 mg sodium

Might be worth a try for some. I believe it is only available on the internet.

http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconnaise.php

Thighs Be Gone
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I have been trying to get my hands on some forever NOW! Our Kroger has the regular but not LITE. Where to buy?

AnnieDrews
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
You can buy it online at their website. It also has a list of stores that sell it.

Raichu
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Oh god, I LOVE Baconnaise! Two slices of toasted wheat bread, tomato, avocado, and bacconaise... heaven!

HotWings
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
OMG.. that looks SO tasty! I have not had bacon for months and months. This might be just the trick! Looks like the products are at my local HyVee.. hope they have the Lite!

LindaT
02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I've been looking for the lite stuff too. I can get the lite stuff on Amazon, but I only want one jar.. in case it is awful. The bacon salt is yummy though.. I've had the original and the hickory. I've seen the regualr in many places.. the lite is MIA :(

AnnieDrews
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
I've been looking for the lite stuff too. I can get the lite stuff on Amazon, but I only want one jar.. in case it is awful. The bacon salt is yummy though.. I've had the original and the hickory. I've seen the regualr in many places.. the lite is MIA :(

Here is where you can buy one jar online for $5.99+shipping on their website.

http://store.baconsalt.com/Baconnaise-Lite_p_51.html

AnnieDrews
02-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I just ordered a jar from their website.

DisgruntledOne
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I think stores like Kroger if you give them a product name will order whatever you want. It might be worth trying.

Thighs Be Gone
02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I thought they would too. I guess my Kroger store (despite it being one of their signature stores or whatever) isn't very good. I have asked several "managers" there and they always take the info. but nope, they never get it.

LindaT
02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I just ordered a jar from their website.

How much was shipping on the jar?

AnnieDrews
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
How much was shipping on the jar?

Regular shipping was $4.90. I know, it is a bit much, but I really wanted to try it and there are no stores nearby that carry it. If I REALLY like it, I will buy from Amazon next time and save on shipping. It only comes in a box of 3 jars there on Amazon.

LindaT
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Regular shipping was $4.90. I know, it is a bit much, but I really wanted to try it and there are no stores nearby that carry it. If I REALLY like it, I will buy from Amazon next time and save on shipping. It only comes in a box of 3 jars there on Amazon.

let us know if you like it.. Yep.. that shipping is a bit much. I'll wait for your review

kaplods
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I have never bought it, but after hearing about it made my own versions by mixing Hellman's Canola mayonaise (50 calories per tablespoon) with

All of them were fairly successful. The fastest is the mayo and baco blend.

barbecue spice (bought from a bulk spice store). Good, but not bacony as much as barbecue potato chip flavored.

hickory salt (bought from a bulk spice store). Tastes bacony, but the salt clumps terribly in the little tub it comes in (so I have to scrape the surface with a fork before I can add it to the mayo).

bacon bits (real or Baco's) Bacony. The best also has the most calories. One slice of crisp bacon, crumbled (50 calories) added to about a 1/2 cup of Hellman's canola mayo, which still works out to about 50 calories per tablespoon. Bacos get a bit soggy, which isn't a bad thing.

liquid smoke (apple, hickory or pecan) and salt. Add drop by drop until you get the flavor you want. Be careful too much liquid smoke and it tastes terrible.

Thighs Be Gone
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Kaplods, the Bacos idea is a good one--like so many of your other ideas. I will try that. I like fat-free Miracle Whip so I will mix the two.

You know $4.90 may be pricey but think of how much money you are saving these days otherwise. I try to remember that when I buy tomatoes at $4 a pound or a pint of raspberries for $5. I don't eat out--at all really. I also eat plenty of items from the bulk bins--lentils, beans, rice, oats. So in summary, good for you to know where to splurge. If it gets you a bit further down the path it was worth every penny!

AnnieDrews
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks, ThighsBeGone! I agree getting further down the path to health and fitness will be worth it in the long run.:)

Kaplods-Your ideas on making the mayo ourselves are awesome! I don't think I would try it with Bacos though, as they are too hard on my teeth. The liquid smoke idea intrigues me, we use that a lot on our meats.

I'll check back and give my impression of the product after I receive it in the mail.

kaplods
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Kaplods-Your ideas on making the mayo ourselves are awesome! I don't think I would try it with Bacos though, as they are too hard on my teeth. The liquid smoke idea intrigues me, we use that a lot on our meats.

Thanks, but I want to stress that the Bacos don't stay crunchy, so if you make the mayo more than about 15 minutes or so before using it, they'll be soft. Different brands of fake bacon bits get soggy at different rates. Bacos take longer than the ones I buy in bulk at a baking supply store.

I have very sensitive teeth, so if my teeth are hurting, I won't add the bacos directly to the salad. I'll add them to the salad dressing and let them sit in the salad dressing to soften before mixing the salad. I usually make my own salad dressing, so I'll mix the salad dressing, add the bacos and let it sit in the fridge or on the counter while I prepare the rest of the meal (It really doesn't take long for them to get soggy).

AnnieDrews
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, I received the Baconnaise Lite in the mail today. I tasted it on my finger out of the jar. I am going to reserve judgement until I get some tomato so I can make a "B"LT and see if it tastes like I think it will. Will check in again after that.:)

AnnieDrews
02-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Update: I finally got a chance to make a "B"LT on wheat toast with the Baconnaise tonight. Bad news, it was awful to me. Just couldn't even imagine it to taste good. To me it didn't taste like bacon at all. Just tasted like fake smoke flavor. I had to force myself to finish the sandwich. Disappointing.:(

LindaT
02-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh crud. this is what I've read on message boards too.. Ah well thanks for being the guinea pig. :D

Bombe
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I've never heard of this but I'm DYING to try it! For those who are getting some (or have had it already) please let me know how you all like it. The only place by me that it says carries it is Wegmans so I might look for it there if you say it's good. Does it really just taste like bacon and mayo?

AnnieDrews
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Bombe-Please see below for my report on the Baconnaise I bought.

Update: I finally got a chance to make a "B"LT on wheat toast with the Baconnaise tonight. Bad news, it was awful to me. Just couldn't even imagine it to taste good. To me it didn't taste like bacon at all. Just tasted like fake smoke flavor. I had to force myself to finish the sandwich. Disappointing.:(

Bombe
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
oh darn :(

kaplods
02-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I love flavored mayos (I'm not a fan of most light mayos UNLESS I flavor them), but if I bought a jar in each flavor I liked (assuming they were available), I'd have fifty open jars of mayo in my fridge.

It's so easy to make a flavored mayo, that I wouldn't recommend buying or making a full jar of only one flavor unless you only like one flavor.

I usually make less than 1/3 c at a time (or even mix the mayo ingredients on the sandwhich with a knife).

For example (mix in any proportions, but add ingredients to the mayo, a little bit at a time, because otherwise, the mayo can "break" and the result will be curdled, not smooth

tex/mex 1 part salsa to 3 part mayo (as little as 1tsp salsa to 1 tbs mayo) chopped onion and cilantro optional

teriyaki mayo and teriyaki (or soysauce and sweetener)

wasabi mayo and wasabi paste or powder

garlic mayo and garlic (fresh crushed, dried minced or powder)

ranch mayo and ranch dressing (bottled or ranch dressing powder)

fruit mayo and just the tiniest smidgen of Crystal Light drink mix (dry)stirred in (really good on a turkey sandwhich)

barbecue mayo and barbecue sauce

Big Mac mayo and thousand island dressing

HOT mayo and cayenne or any pepper powder, sauce or paste

Zingy Asian mayo and garlic chili paste

blue cheese mayo and any crumbled blue cheese

Google "flavored mayonnaise recipes" and you'll find a zillion recipes and inspiration for your own add-ins