UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #1  

Default WLS on the NHS

Has anyone here had WLS on the NHS? How did it go? How long did you have to wait? What did you have to do to qualify?

I'd love to speak to someone who has been through this or is waiting for it as I am going to be put forward for it by my GP.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
... and I am a chocoholic

S/C/G: 336/Tracker/160

Height: 5'6"

I went to see my doc April 09 for it, he referred me to a 'Changes' weight loss clinic, which was in the November, so a very long wait. They weigh you and talk to you etc, then refer you to a compulsary 'support group' made up of 10-15 people who talk about thei diets, plans and problems for 10 weeks. At the same time they gave me a discounted rate for the gym swimming and asked me to go 3 times a week, which although discounted, I could not afford. The idea of the groups is off putting to me too. The groups only begins in march, so it took me 11 months to get from GP referral to the first step of the process. Then apparently you're on your own and they review you every 3 months. Then after a certain amount of time they put you forward for an information group surrounding different sugeries and the complications.

The thing is, when I went to the GP last April I hit rock bottom and wanted something doing then and there, so i made the decision to change by myself as I was promised the world but nothing was given for so long. So I've started losing it on my own, albeit very slowly, but 10 months later I'm down almost 3.5 stone, which I never EVER thought i could do alone.

But do talk to your GP, the system may be slightly different in Scotland/ diff areas of UK. But i felt that all I got (when i eventually got SOMETHING) was lip service and they were too preoccupied with ticking their own boxes, that probably feed back to the government how well theyre tackling obesity without the need for surgery. So its up to you if you feel like you really need it and feel willing to battle on through them (as they wont want to give away a £3500 op very easily), but be prepared to wait a long time. In the mean time have a go yourself, its easier in the summer months. I go out biking and for lots of walks, and swimming (not loads, only say 2 things a week), but you are capable of doing it yourself, then like me you may say, well i dont want the surgery anymore!

Best of luck and i hope some of that made sense!! x
lyndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for the information. I've found lots of people who have had the surgery here on the forum, but all from the States and Canada, no-one else in the UK but you!

I should have explained properly, I am quite severely disabled so other than stretches and toning the upper body (even this has to be done with caution) I am unable to exercise. I wish to God I could, but I have to accept that just walking a few yards at a time is better than being in my wheelchair.

I am already dieting as best I can on a very low income and because of the pain issues I have, my GP said she would refer me to a special program they have in the West of Scotland (unhealthiest place in Europe! YAYYYY). The first part has to be tried through your GP, ie dieting, second part Orlistat (Not Good, needed dynamite up my bum to go for a poo!). Next step is referal with a view to WLS.

But I am trying to research it as best I can and this is what brought me here. Thanks again for the info and advice and keep up the good work!!!!
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote