Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #1  

Exclamation Sugars keep hitting rock bottom on new program

I wanted to ask how others have kept their blood sugars from hitting rock bottom while dieting and exercising. I thought I was maintaining well then suddenly twice in one day my sugar dropped into the 40's. I'm on glucophage and amaryl. Only been diagnosed 1 year. I'm doing a 1200 cal diet and average about 400 cals burned in exercise daily. I am keeping a balance of carb and proteins (no high protein or low carb dieting). It was a little scary the second time as it happened while I was driving. Any info very much appreciated!!!
MistyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

I know this sounds counter productive but you probably need to raise your calorie intake if you are exercising. Try having five small meals per day so you are eating every three hours to prevent crashes. The Eat Clean magazine has a section with a two week meal chart that counts out all the calories for you. Each day is about 1500 calories.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default too low for comfort

I also think your calorie intake is a bit low. Upping to 1500-1600 cals/day will help, having small frequent meals so you spread it out should make a difference too, but will be restrictive enough for you to lose weight as well.
If you keep going very low, you may need to consider a med change with your doctor. Metformin doesn't lead to lows the way glucophage can, but that is something to review with your doc if other ways of dealing with low sugars don't work.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #4  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

MistyDreamer,
I read this on another Message Board

How many Calories do I need?

If your over 20 and basically have a sedentary Job,then take your current Weight (if you're happy with your Weight) or ideal Weight (if you wish to lose Weight) and multiply it by 10.This is a simplification,use a Calculator if your Weight is over 200 Pounds.This number is pretty accurate give or take 100 Calories.As an example,if a Woman weighs 113 Pounds.That means she can eat 1,130 Calories a Day without gaining Weight,more if she is active and Exercises regularly.If she was 20 Pounds overweight,eating 1,130 Calories instead of 1,330 Calories will mean a deficit of 200 Calories a Day so that she would lose 1 Pound about every three Weeks (3500 divided by 200),again,more if she Exercises.That's a safe,slow Weight loss that will preserve Muscle and only burn Fat and won't induce binge eating.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I concur that I think you are not eating enuff each day. I read the same thing as BB ... if you multiply your current weight of 231 x 10 = 2310 cals just to maintain your weight. If you substract 500 (enuff to lose 1-2 lbs each week), then you should be eating about 1800 cals a day right now. Later on, you could lower it by 50-100 a day if you hit a stall or plateau.

If you are only eating 1200 cals and burning 400 cals exercising; you are in a huge deficit. 1200 - 400 = 800 in and 2710 out. Add the fact that you are taking meds too, and I'm not surprised to see these huge dips.

Yes, you need to talk to your doctor about this for sure ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-07-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote