Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - My beef with Irish oatmeal

View Full Version : My beef with Irish oatmeal

tiffany0809
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I LOVE Irish oatmeal. But for me, cooking it is like a part time job!! It takes SOOO long (I'm usually hungry when I'm making it so it's like torture). But I don't understand why the package says to use 1 cup of water. As it cooks, all the water evaporates off and it's like sludge within 5 minutes. But it's supposed to cook for a half hour. So I have to keep adding water as it cooks and I can't walk away from it for more than 20 seconds or it gets all nasty again. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it ME??? It seems pretty simple so why do I have such issues with oatmeal? LOL :)

nelie
02-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Soak the oatmeal overnight in the fridge, blast it in the microwave in the morning. No harm with adding a little extra water either.

I think maybe you are cooking it on too high a heat?

Selca
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I've never tried this but I've read about someone cooking it in a slow cooker over night so that it's ready for them in the morning.

QuilterInVA
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Put it in your crockpot the night before and it's ready when you get up in the morning. I make enough for a week and just reheat in the microwave.

tiffany0809
02-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Great tips!!! Thanks ladies!! I'll definitely be giving these suggestions a try! I knew I could count on everyone here to solve my oatmeal problems! LOL :)

JulieJ08
02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know, I never had to keep adding water. It starts out with a lot of water. My container says 4 cups water for 1 cup oats.

If you're using only 1 cup water, are you making only 1/4c oats at a time? Then maybe the pot is too big for that small amount.

AnnieDrews
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
LOL! I thought this thread was about a dish you cooked with beef and irish oatmeal!:D I'm always wanting to try something new, but don't know if I'd like that combo!!;)

What is the difference between irish oatmeal and regular oatmeal?

Here's a link I found on preparing irish oatmeal.

http://www.mccanns.ie/preparation.html

Jane
02-07-2010, 07:50 PM
LOL! I thought this thread was about a dish you cooked with beef and irish oatmeal!:D

:rofl: Somebody, somewhere probably eats that very combination!