100 lb. Club - Question about working out

View Full Version : Question about working out

uclr0028
02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello all,

I have been working out now for since last June. This week I stepped up how much and how hard that I have been working out since I decided to join the YMCA. One strange thing that has come of this is that I am hungry alot. Do you think it is my bodies way of telling me that I need to eat more. This has not happened before when I started different exercise programs. Has this happened to anyone else before?

JustBeckyV
02-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Not to me but I have read others say that they have and really it makes since. If you are burning more calories - your body is going to want more fuel to take the place of those calories.

lizard58
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I got this when I amped up my workouts too. When I asked my trainer, she said to be especially careful not to overeat (even though i wanted to!) and make sure that I was drinking enough water.
Dont overestimate the calories burned.

FitGirlyGirl
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I have had this happen. Success in dealing with it is of course going to be different for different people. What I found that works for me is cheese. I have a small serving of cheese before doing the types of exercise that I know will leave me starving and then they don't make me as hungry. Also, as lizard already said - make sure you are staying hydrated. If you are even a little dehydrated it can make you feel like you are hungrier than you are.

ubergirl
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Yup-- recently I've been more hungry since I started running more and lifting.

I don't mind the feeling because usually when I'm a little hungry I lose better.

I don't get hungrier right before or after a workout-- I find myself getting hungry between meals.

BeachBreeze2010
02-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah, it happens. Use it as an opportunity to eat something your body needs - veggies, lean protein or something with potassium in it to help repair those muscles. Just don't overestimate the calorie reduction or use it as an excuse to eat something that doesn't help your body recover from the workout.

salsa chip
02-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks for asking the question - I'd been wondering the same myself! :D