Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/197/161

Height: 5'4"

Default Why after all im doing still put on weight.

I have stuggled with my weight for many years and tried various diets with little results (lack of will power).
But this time i have had some sucess im eating between 900 and 1200 calories a day on top of that im excercising for at least 1 hour a-day (30mins cycling and 30mins Wii fit). My start weight was 15.11 and now im 14.13 and i was excited at the thought of loosing my first stone BUT i weighed my self last night and i had gained a pound how could that be?
I was mortified when i discoverd this.
Ultimately im hoping to get to around 11 stone but that seems a very long way away right now.
joerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #2  
19Deltawifey

If your exercising and eating between 900-1200 cals a day you probably need to eat more. Your calorie deficit is probably huge and your body might be holding onto the weight until you add in more food. You need to eat to lose weight. Yes if you eat to much you will gain weight but if you eat to little and add exercise on top of that you can find yourself at a stand still with your body. You can also continue eating 900-1200 calories a day and just wait till your body starts losing again. I wish you luck

Last edited by 19Deltawifey; 02-04-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

900-1200 calories is not enough , you are robbing your body of needed nutrients. 1500 -1600 is more like what you should be eating and you will still lose.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

Also, make sure you are taking everything into account. My daughter is also changing her eating/excercise habits and was a little frustrated last week when she didn't loose anything, but then we compared her body fat percentage. She had gained 2 pounds of muscle. Our bodies are complex machines but as long as we are doing what we should, it'll happen.
the question you must remember to ask yourself if not where am I at now, where will I be a year from now?
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

"the question you must remember to ask yourself if not where am I at now, where will I be a year from now?"

powerful stuff. =)

it's SOOO frustrating to not lose weight for a few days or weeks after you've been exercising, saying no to all those goodies, etc etc. but this is so true, you've got to think about the long run. and one thing i try to tell myself: what if i never, ever lost or gained weight... so my diet would just affect my health and how long i live? i think about food a lot differently then... i don't just aim for fewer calories, i aim for, you know, 300 calories from fruits and vegetables instead of 300 calories of some refined-flour-trans-fat-crackers. i make better choices, and i stay within my calories. i just FEEL better. and, hey, if the scale reflects some weight loss next week, it's an added bonus. but it's definitely a process, i gain about 2 or 3 pounds of water before my TOM and the day after it starts, the weight disappears. your health and weight isn't about a day, week, or even month of watching your calories... it's a long process. celebrate little victories along the way.

best of luck to you!!
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

The body needs a minimum of 1200 calories a day to function properly. You should be eating more especially if you're working out an hour a day. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but try upping your calories to 1500-1600 a day and see what happens. Also, weight loss is always linear. There are days that you will be up a couple of pounds and then there are days you'll be down. Look for the overall downward trend. I can put on up to 2 pounds, of water weight over night, if I've had too much salt for example. So don't stress if you occassionally see the scale more in the wrong direction. Our bodies don't always work the way we hope, but keep at and you start to notice an overall downward trend. But I seriously suggest upping your calories.

Last edited by shantroy; 02-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #7  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

depending on your age & activity level throughout the day you should be eating approx 1600 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

You should also calculate your BMR so you can get a truly accurate amount of calories you need to lose/maintain/gain weight. It's easy to calculate and once you have your BMR, you can adjust accordingly. The calculation is below:

The Harris-Benedict formula

These calculations are based on total body weight, but also uses of height, weight, age, and gender to determine basal metabolic rate.

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Activity multiplier for maintenance:
1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Maintenance = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Maintenance = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Maintenance = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Maintenance = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Maintenance = BMR x 1.9
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

Like everyone else said, you're not eating enough. Raise your calories but make sure they are healthy calories. With the amount you're eating your body is probably going into starvation mode which means it will hold onto the fat in your body because it's afraid of being malnourished. Try getting meal planners from an eat clean website. It will give you a complete list of meals for the day and tell you how many calories they contain. The eat clean magazine gives a two week planner which is really helpful.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

If it sounds counterintuitive to eat more, consider this: if you eat at an extreme calorie deficit long enough, you will lose weight, and lots of it. But you won't lose weight in a healthy or sustainable way. You'll be hungry and cranky all the time. You'll feel fatigued because your body won't have enough energy to get you through the day. Your hair and fingernails will get more brittle and less shiny. And even if you reach your "goal weight," you'll look gaunt, because you'll metabolize muscle tissue as well as fat.

So even though it seems backwards, and feels like it will make your weight loss take longer, eat a little bit more. At your weight you can probably lose at a healthy rate by eating 1600-1800 calories a day, depending upon your activity level. So add in some protein or some healthy fat or a few pieces of fruit and get those calories up instead of starving yourself.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

As some perspective, I am the same weight and slightly shorter than you, and I can lose 1.5-2 pounds a week on 1600 calories and that amount of exercise -and it can be a struggle with hunger to stay at that level!

Be kind to your body - give it plenty of nourishment from quality sources, no extremely calorie-restricted diets!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/180/135

Height: 5'5

i know exactly how you feel! Im having similar trouble as you.. I need to add a little more calories to my diet and hopefully that'll help with losing weight. Hope it helps and works out for you too!
reesespieces14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

You posted that you weighed yourself last night- it's better to weigh in the mornings, before you eat or drink anything, so that what your scale is measuring is more standardized. At the end of the day, the actual weight of the food and drinks you've had will show up on the scale, until your body has had a chance to metabolize them. It's pretty common to "put on" several pounds throughout the course of the day - it's not a weight gain, though - just that food and esp. beverages can cause a big difference on the scale.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
You posted that you weighed yourself last night- it's better to weigh in the mornings, before you eat or drink anything, so that what your scale is measuring is more standardized. At the end of the day, the actual weight of the food and drinks you've had will show up on the scale, until your body has had a chance to metabolize them. It's pretty common to "put on" several pounds throughout the course of the day - it's not a weight gain, though - just that food and esp. beverages can cause a big difference on the scale.
I agree with this. I've noticed I gain up to 7 or 8 pounds in a day. I remember when I went to WW I would always go on Saturday mornings for weigh in. I might not stay at the meeting, but I would get my weekly weigh in. I could then go about my Saturday business and then go to an evening meeting throughout the week.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 211/197/161

Height: 5'4"

thanks for all the advice.

Now all of you have said i need to eat more calories but the problem i have is that most of the time i don't feel particularly hungry anymore, my appitite has diminished since ive started the diet (which must be a good thing?) so when ive eaten lets say 1000-1200 calories i dont feel like eating any more. So if my body isnt feeling hungry is it then wrong to eat unnecessarily?

I have tried having a few extra apples and in stead of 1 slice of toast im now having 2 for breakfast but thats as far as ive been so far.
joerey is offline   Reply With Quote