Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/255/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Intro about me...

Hi all,

I was born and raised skinny... and I mean skinny (think Olive Oil). It was just my metabolism. I could eat anything I wanted which is part of my problem. You know after kids... how your metabolism changes but if your diet doesn't, it can have you packing on the pounds? Combine it with the fact that both my parents were terrible alcoholics as I was growing up. They eventually because skid row alcoholics and were pulled back through deaths door before they actually quit. I, like my parents alcoholism, am a closet eater. Like we didn't know they went into their room to swig their whiskey straight from the bottle. Well... I can eat in private but my butt shows the world what I think I've been hiding I have substituted food for alcohol. I wish I could just quit eating... or not be around people that eat... or don't go near food like alcoholics have to treat alcohol. Wanna hear something strange? I've NEVER been drunk... and I'm 53. I hated their alcoholism that much.

Three weeks ago I started going to a TOPS group. I like them ok, but I think I was hoping for a little more personal support than what they have to offer. I will still be going, in fact my meeting is tonight.

I have some issues maybe ya'll can help me with.

First... and my biggest challenge is something I can't figure out about myself. Just say the word "diet" and I start eating/binging. I just pig out... then I hate myself. Now... Why do I do that? Any ideas would be great! Every day is fat Tuesday for me.

Second... I travel a lot. I need some realistic help with eating/not eating/snacks that are good... etc. I'm flying to Chicago on the 15th.

Third... I have lots of friends that have had the lap band. I can't stand the thought of it but I tried doing Medi fast thinking that people who have a lap band are really just on a low calorie diet right? I lost 25 pounds last February but ended up in the hospital with a serious heart arrhythmia in March. I'm not sure if it was the Medi fast or not but I'm totally freaked out about losing too fast. I'm sure thats a good thing because I don't want to end up with my heart going that fast again! It was going about 180... All that to say, I have a heart problem.

Fourth... I can't stand my husband knowing or being "supportive" in my efforts to lose weight. I'm glad he cares, don't get me wrong, its just that I hate to dissappoint him when I screw up. I also get tired of him talking about calories, exercise, fitness...etc. I feel like its so pointed, you know?

There is probably more but this enough for today.

I'm looking forward to be part of this forum.

P
Kawfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

P to 3fc's ~ first of all, the important thing is that you know you need to live and eat in a healthier way to be healthier; you're here and that is a great start. The people here are great; very supportive and helpful. There are lots of forums and threads here to gleam ideas from as well; so come here for your support.

Some people do panic at the thought of not having enuff to eat. Don't rush things and don't starve yourself. Take your time, and make small changes over time; so you can ease into your new lifestyle. Then you won't feel so anxious about it all.

You can make up bags of healthy things to eat; fruit, fiber bars, nuts, etc to take with you on your travels. Also, if you are worried about your health, you should see your doctor first to make sure that your plan is healthy for you as well.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #3  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Welcome and keep coming back. I have found 3FC to me WONDERFUL!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #4  

Welcome! Glad to have you...

I thought I might address one point you made about travel. I travel about 60% of the time and eating 3 meals a day on expense account was by far the biggest contributor to my weight gain. Why choose a salad over a lobster bisque, nice medium-rare steak, garlic mashed potatoes, dessert and 2 glasses of wine?

Anyway when I started this process 2 months ago in my original post I identified this as one of the biggest challenges for me to focus on. I made this post recently about some specific behavioral changes I've made with success thus far... maybe you will find value in it, maybe not.

Remember that this an individual process and any behavior changes you target should be those you think will work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
beachbabe,

Wow can I relate. I travel a ton for work, always on expense account, always taking clients out to eat, etc.

I knew when I started this journey this was going to be the single most difficult area to tackle for me.

I've posted a fair bit about this in the thread I keep up, so I'll direct you there if you want to read details.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...g-tracker.html

But I'm focusing on the following changes that I think are actually workable...

1a. Continue to calorie count everything when I travel even though it involves more guesstimates and is sometimes painful (including the time I had a wrap at a restaurant to later find out it was 900 calories!)

1b. Always have a couple of meal bars, healthy snacks in my briefcase.

2. Any trip longer than 2 days, do my best to get a hotel with a fridge, and go to the grocery store on my way in from the airport.

3. When eating out at a real restaurant, always have a salad to start with (instead of fried or creamy soup), and choose a protein and veggie dish, never do a dish with a carb as the base (like pasta). Always substitute a starchy side for a veggie side.

4. Never ever order pizza or chinese to my hotel room (huge personal weakness)...

5. Always go to the hotel gym before dinner for ANY length of time (I am not a morning exerciser)...

So those are the specific behaviors I've targeted that I've been working on with a good deal of success so far. Still have a long ways to go though.

I've also found the following "casual" line to work well when the inevitable where do you want to eat for lunch discussion happens...

"You know, I'm not picky, but would love something light otherwise I'll be nodding off in here all afternoon."
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #5  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi P!
Many here can certainly identify with your struggle and feelings - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. Check out the Chicks in Control forum to meet others that battle bingeing - they're a great group for support and first hand advice on facing this challenge.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote